Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Blizzard ever pull the plug on WoW?

I was talking with a co-worker that is playing also and we started talking about how long it has been since WoW came out, how many *yikes* years we have been playing and how long we will keep on playing?

With a subscription base large like they have, they are in a whole different ballgame then just a "release, milk and barely thrown enough money at it to survive" cycle. Large expansions, new dungeons, quest, revamp the whole system like they are doing in Cataclysm.

I wonder how long they can keep it going like that? Will there ever by a WoW 2? Will they keep pushing the actual game further and further(they are going for the 4,0 patch, a major one). Will they switch game engine one day? How far can you push the actual platform technically wise?

We were laughing when we both said we'd still be playing this game in 5-10 years... or is it not funny and might actually happen?

What do you think?

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

They love WoW and themselves too much to pull WoW ever. WoW makes them money and they are happy milking it to death.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

If EQ has survived this long, I imagine WoW will go on just as long if not longer. Eventually, WoW will go free to play, but that won't be for many a years.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by SaintViktor

They love WoW and themselves too much to pull WoW ever. WoW makes them money and they are happy milking it to death.

What's wrong with that?  Considering it's their business and they are in business to make games that make them money, I really don't see the problem here.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

No, I one day expect my grandchildren to show me their level '190' Death Knights and the cool gear it has.

And I don't even have any grandchildren yet.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Originally posted by Kyleran

No, I one day expect my grandchildren to show me their level '190' Death Knights and the cool gear it has.

I thought we agreed. I don't want kids!

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Of course it will be here in 5-10 years. EQ and UO have been here 10+ years now, and EQ has a sequel, and a third on its way.

It will be there as long as they are making cash, so you and your friend have no need to worry. Although I would recommend you take a look at some of the other MMO's that are out. Whilst WoW is a nice starting game for those new to the MMO genre, there are others to rival it that you both may enjoy.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by Shannia

What's wrong with that?  Considering it's their business and they are in business to make games that make them money, I really don't see the problem here.

Business wise absolutely nothing but sooner or later we all learn to ride bikes without training wheels.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I thought mmorpg gamers hated kids.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Yes..........

Nothing lasts forever. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by jayanti

It will be there as long as they are making cash

This ^

When it stops making them money and revival avenues have been exhausted they'll pull the plug. I can't stand the game myself but i wouldn't be surprised if that takes another decade.

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

Long as it remains financially beneficial to remain running it will remain running.

Shadus

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by ReallyNow10

I don't know when/if Blizzard will pull the plug, but I do wonder when they'll ever get out this friggin' expansion.

Well patch 4.0 is on the test realm now so I recon as do most it will be early-mid november...  which the last 2 expansions have been released during.  Thats only 7-8 weeks.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

As long as there is a decent amount of subscribers they will keep it running. I can't see them pulling the plug any time soon, unless something drastic happened to the game that made 99% of the people quit.

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

And Death Knights will still be they only hero class.

• The_SnizzThe_Snizz Member UncommonPosts: 16

They will not stop until the money stops.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

The answer is obvious. If it's still making money, would you?

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Cata = wow 2

Its like a whole new game (Kinda).

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Well I am 65 years old and I am sure WOW will outlive me.

Kind of sad really.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

to OP

yes, as soon as the internet shuts down.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Blizzard aint gonna change shit till serious competition arrives. Instead they pushing back things that would evolve the game.Take for example the new extra aka talent tree called path of the titans.They canceled it declaring that instead they will just revamp glyphsadding a medium glyph (LOL). Blizzard as log they keep selling they have no reason to renew wow seriously since they keep making million without any serious efforts.Cataclysm apart rated bg's (which is good),its gonna be exactly the same farm gear hunting as it is now.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

December 21 2012

• Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

Not in the forseeable future. The success of this game is unprecedented and it will take years for blizzard to even consider servermerges, let alone shutdown. In the end the client will probably be streamable and play in browsers and will go F2P and at that point wow will still be played for years to come. I don't see this behemoth shutting down for at least the next 10-15 years.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Well, this is a MMO with a stable revenue. If they do it properly, they could be running it for life. They could even afford to revamp the entire graphic engine if they wanted. But because they offer a constant stream of updates, new content, expansion packs, and now that they started to seriously revisit the older areas, it could be going on forever.

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Shannia

Business wise absolutely nothing but sooner or later we all learn to ride bikes without training wheels.

Each jab you take at Blizzard still doesn't answer the question.  What is wrong with that?  Their game, their business model, their success.  Last time I checked, it's their right to profit from it.  Also, be thankful of Blizzard because if it wasn't for the level of their success, a lot of the new MMORPGs coming to market would never have a chance because there would be no investors willing to take a $100million risk on games that at their peak could only maintain 300,000 concurrent monthly paid subscribers.   You can keep knocking Blizzard all you want, but at least they made gaming mainstream which makes it much easier for everyone else to do business in the field.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

I can garuntee you that as long as WoW remains profitable , Blizzard will NOT pull the plug on it.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"