Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV, the best looking MMO game around so far?

MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I admit, I have a thing for graphics. Some MMO gamers say that it's all about gameplay and playability and that they don't care one bit about the graphics, well, I'm not one of them.

Graphics are linked to my immersion in a MMO game, and immersion adds to my enjoyment of it.

It's why I liked GW better than WoW, because GW's art design was superior in beauty to WoW's design - WoW's world was rich in colorful design, which compensated a bit that I thoroughly disliked the cartoony look.

Graphics design made me annoyed with LotrO's character models and animations while warming me towards its vast world, even if it was far from what I initially pictured Middle Earth to be after the books and movies.

And it was the graphics in Aion (especially the detailed character models and animations) and AoC that helped with my immersion in their worlds.

I became just recently curious about FFXIV, I had pictured FFXIV's graphics design to be just a slight upgrade from FFXI. The more I see though the more impressed I become, up to the point that I've come to realise that FFXIV's graphics and visuals are on par with AoC's, which is not an easy feat to accomplish: most MMO companies have chosen for caution for their MMO's by opting for tuned down, cartoony 'stylised' graphics.

And that's the 2nd thing that impressed me. Up till FFXIV, AoC had the best graphics around of any MMO, but it came with a price: AoC is heavily instanced with separate areas, for the simple reason that computer limitations don't allow yet to have MMO's with that high a polygon count and texture detail in a completely open world without repercussions.

Impressively, SE managed to accomplish an AoC level of graphical richness and detail without having to resort to heavy instancing and zoning: yes, if what I read and hear is correct FFXIv is an as good as fully seamless world, even more so than WoW when it comes to seamless transitioning.

Well, I don't know about you guys but personally I find that pretty damn impressive. Especially since we're also talking about one of the very few MMORPG's that dare to go crossplatform.

So here's to the beautiful graphics design of FFXIV, may those who decide to play it enjoy and immerse themselves wandering around in its seamless world image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Comments

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by cyphers

I admit, I have a thing for graphics. Some MMO gamers say that it's all about gameplay and playability and that they don't care one bit about the graphics, well, I'm not one of them.

Graphics are linked to my immersion in a MMO game, and immersion adds to my enjoyment of it.

It's why I liked GW better than WoW, because GW's art design was superior in beauty to WoW's design - WoW's world was rich in colorful design, which compensated a bit that I thoroughly disliked the cartoony look.

Graphics design made me annoyed with LotrO's character models and animations while warming me towards its vast world, even if it was far from what I initially pictured Middle Earth to be after the books and movies.

And it was the graphics in Aion (especially the detailed character models and animations) and AoC that helped with my immersion in their worlds.

I became just recently curious about FFXIV, I had pictured FFXIV's graphics design to be just a slight upgrade from FFXI. The more I see though the more impressed I become, up to the point that I've come to realise that FFXIV's graphics and visuals are on par with AoC's, which is not an easy feat to accomplish: most MMO companies have chosen for caution for their MMO's by opting for tuned down, cartoony 'stylised' graphics.

And that's the 2nd thing that impressed me. Up till FFXIV, AoC had the best graphics around of any MMO, but it came with a price: AoC is heavily instanced with separate areas, for the simple reason that computer limitations don't allow yet to have MMO's with that high a polygon count and texture detail in a completely open world without repercussions.

Impressively, SE managed to accomplish an AoC level of graphical richness and detail without having to resort to heavy instancing and zoning: yes, if what I read and hear is correct FFXIv is an as good as fully seamless world, even more so than WoW when it comes to seamless transitioning.

Well, I don't know about you guys but personally I find that pretty damn impressive. Especially since we're also talking about one of the very few MMORPG's that dare to go crossplatform.

So here's to the beautiful graphics design of FFXIV, may those who decide to play it enjoy and immerse themselves wandering around in its seamless world image

AoC does not even come close to FF14 graphcis. Sure AoC is pretty but it looks like a comic. relative sizes are all wonky. Your character looks like a action figure, there is simlpy no realism. It's pretty, i give you that, but in my personal taste even FFXI had more realistic graphics considering scale and armor than AoC.

Here is a panoramic shot of Ul'Dah. Thats a view from the north of this area towards the south end where the city is and a deep desert begins. You can go everywhere you see in this screenhost. To the left is a camp, you see mountains with paths upwards you can climb. These are all accessable. No "rails".

Ul'DAh

No instancing, you even walk into dungeons and caves right from the map. No loading or anything. Same is true for cities.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

AoC made my jaw drop the first time I played it. I'd say AoC has the best graphics to date. Though FF14 is pretty impressive, especially since it is seemless. The other thing that is impressive about FF14 is it's ability to have so many players in the same area at the same time.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Probably the best new mmo but to be fair, what else will be releasing this year ?

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I'm really not impressed with the graphics. 

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Again, copy-paste has to do with "good looking" and immersion so...no. The graphics are excellent but "good looking" has to do with more than just the graphics.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

ff14 graphics are the best lookign i have seen so far, by a wide margin.

But GW2 (myabe not) , and Terras also look VERY GOOD. (Terras pics look close, but ill have to wait on actual gameplay to tell).

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• drazzahdrazzah Member UncommonPosts: 437

like said before, the graphics are nice, but its all copy-pasted BIG TIME

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

If we are only comparing games in late beta phases and release then only AoC can give FFXIV a run for it's money.  Both games have their advantages and weaknesses when it comes to graphics.  Both use motion capture for their animation which looks very nice and fluid.  Vindicitus also looks very good, but I'm not sure if that's up for comparison here.

As far as upcoming games there are a lot that will probably blow FFXIV out of the water:  The Secret World, TERA, Blade & Soul, Archeage, and Guild Wars 2 all look fantastic.  I'm sure there are a few more that can be added here too.

Sorry, but Vanguard doesn't come anywhere close to AoC or FFXIV's level of graphic's quality.  Sure, it has great looking terrain, but in my opinion the character models and some of the animations look terrible in comparison.  Lighting effects look nowhere near as good.  It's mostly due to the game's age, because for it's time Vanguard's graphics were incredible.

Originally posted by drazzah

Care to share a screenshot of this copy and paste you talk about? So far i could not find it in the game. I am sure you, telling us this is in the whole game should have no problem providing just one screenshot as example.

Thank you in advance.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

So...

Having overdone graphics that the majority of the gamers cant put on max is a motive of pride?

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Originally posted by taus01

AoC does not even come close to FF14 graphcis. Sure AoC is pretty but it looks like a comic. relative sizes are all wonky. Your character looks like a action figure, there is simlpy no realism. It's pretty, i give you that, but in my personal taste even FFXI had more realistic graphics considering scale and armor than AoC.

Here is a panoramic shot of Ul'Dah. Thats a view from the north of this area towards the south end where the city is and a deep desert begins. You can go everywhere you see in this screenhost. To the left is a camp, you see mountains with paths upwards you can climb. These are all accessable. No "rails".

Ul'DAh

No instancing, you even walk into dungeons and caves right from the map. No loading or anything. Same is true for cities.

Accept you can't go forward coz you'll hit an invisible wall. Bummer.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

I played just 10 minutes and it kinda seemed that way too. The town felt very aquired.

• angelsfangangelsfang Member Posts: 93

I think FFXIV's graphics are very good,  but not jaw dropping.  Certainly did not make me stop and stare in awe.  Maybe i have been spoiled by single player games?  its been awhile since i've played MMORPGs, last one was Aion.  I'd say it is indeed the best lookin MMO at the moment, but not sure about the hype.  

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

Graphics are very nice, aaaaaaand that's about it.

Care to share a screenshot of this copy and paste you talk about? So far i could not find it in the game. I am sure you, telling us this is in the whole game should have no problem providing just one screenshot as example.

Thank you in advance.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/290874/Evidence-of-extreme-copypaste-development-in-FFXIV.html

It's obvious they are working with a very limited tileset.  It's common in game development to reuse textures/models/tilesets heavily, but FFXIV isn't working with a very large one.  The same can also be said about other games, but since FFXIV is only working with a few different tilesets right now the problem is magnified.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Age of Conan would be like this. I don´t know if the video is good enough to judge, didn´t play the game for a long time.

• anxisfanisanxisfanis Member Posts: 7

Well the video you post is mostly about the graphics in Tortage (the first area in the game). The richness of the graphics falls dramaticaly in the next areas tbh

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Well this game may have good graphics, but there are otehr games I like with better graphics like Guild Wars 2 for example, or other mmo.

Final Fantasy Just doesn't offer as much over all game play, and after 1-3 months it gets really boring im quite sure. Sure everyone thinks now its a really great game, but 3 months or so down the line it gets boring Looking for party of 5 to kill a Giant Crab... Wait 5 hours Still no party. I have no idea if this new game will be like this or not, at least not on release, but down the line it will be give it a year or so, plus the issues where people dont accept new people to group due to lack of weapon skills and such.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by anxisfanis

Well the video you post is mostly about the graphics in Tortage (the first area in the game). The richness of the graphics falls dramaticaly in the next areas tbh

Just the first part of the video. The other thing not highlighted in the video are the mobs and player models. That's where I believe AoC truly excels over FF14.

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

I thought the graphics would be amazing too, but from a BETA standpoint, when I first logged in I thought "you're kidding me right?"  I had everything turned up as far as I could get it and honestly, I thought they were garbage for a modern MMO.

*shrug* each to their own.

And whover said something about GW graphics being better than w0w (and I'm no w0w fan, not by a long shot), to me is almost laughable.  GW = worst $50.00 I ever spent on a new game, LOL.

Originally posted by Rytif

Originally posted by Magnum2103

Thank you in advance.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/290874/Evidence-of-extreme-copypaste-development-in-FFXIV.html

That thread was locked because its quite stupid to complain about reusing models within a video game. kthxbuhbi.

Actually I'm pretty sure it was locked because it started a flame war.  I'm so glad you made such an insightful reply!  Anyway, someone asked for an example of the copy pasting they did in the game and I provided it.  You can make with it whatever you want, I personally don't care if they reuse models/textures/tilesets because every gaming company does do it.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

If we are only comparing games in late beta phases and release then only AoC can give FFXIV a run for it's money.  Both games have their advantages and weaknesses when it comes to graphics.  Both use motion capture for their animation which looks very nice and fluid.  Vindicitus also looks very good, but I'm not sure if that's up for comparison here.

As far as upcoming games there are a lot that will probably blow FFXIV out of the water:  The Secret World, TERA, Blade & Soul, Archeage, and Guild Wars 2 all look fantastic.  I'm sure there are a few more that can be added here too.

Sorry, but Vanguard doesn't come anywhere close to AoC or FFXIV's level of graphic's quality.  Sure, it has great looking terrain, but in my opinion the character models and some of the animations look terrible in comparison.  Lighting effects look nowhere near as good.  It's mostly due to the game's age, because for it's time Vanguard's graphics were incredible.

I only compared with the current MMO's. When it comes to the upcoming MMO's, let's face it, ALL the current MMO's will have a run for their money when the next batch of MMORPG's arrive on the scene the next year, and also on the graphics level: GW2, Vindictus, Rift, TERA, TSW, and shortly after that WoD and Archeage. Those are some major contenders when it comes to graphical quality.

When it comes to repetitiveness of terrain objects, as far as I've seen the remarks and comments of beta players go, some people have a problem with it, some find it trivial and have no issue with it, some people didn't even notice it and some use it merely as a front/camouflage argument to bang on FFXIV, as far as I'm concerned it's a matter of taste and personal priorities in game enjoyment, just like that some people find the controls of any other MMO besides WoW unresponsive and clunky and therefor too annoying to play.

No matter someone's personal preference in this, the simple fact remains that SE has achieved with FFXIV what no MMORPG has done so far: that is an MMO world with the AoC-level of graphical quality, but then with full seamless transitioning, no instancing or loading screens at all.

So far it has been an "either... or" situation, either you have the cartoony/stylised MMO world with seamless transitioning, or you have the highly graphically detailed MMO world but with loading screens and instances.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by Rytif

Thank you in advance.

That thread was locked because its quite stupid to complain about reusing models within a video game. kthxbuhbi.

Actually I'm pretty sure it was locked because it started a flame war.  I'm so glad you made such an insightful reply!  Anyway, someone asked for an example of the copy pasting they did in the game and I provided it.  You can make with it whatever you want, I personally don't care if they reuse models/textures/tilesets because every gaming company does do it.

I asked for an example. I noticed that caves in Limsa are very similar too but it never really bothered me. A water hole in the desert is just that, i don't care if it looks like all the others, what i care about is what i can fish up in that water hole.

They also have these huge rocks like in monument valley and they look all the same on the map, but if you actually walk around they don't look the same at all. Maybe it's the angles and other features combined, like vegetation. It's not that big of a deal really.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

AoC visuals 100 times better than FF. 

Invisible safety rails and the inability to jump might have made it easier to design the playfield and avoid exploits but it is lame and takes away from immersion in my honest opinion. 

I don't understand why SE didn't realize that their fanbase has matured over the last 15 years and that as such they should have shifted the appearance of the mobs away from cartoony Mario Brothers mobs and closer to more fierce, gritty and ugly appearances instead.