Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV Review

SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

I'm sorry this is another Review.

Character Creation 8.5/10

Okay, alot of people had beefs with this character creation but I do not understand why. I like not have crazy midgets with huge arms running around me. I'm just unique enough to not see 9 of me in 1 town. It could use alittle somthing else, but these characters are great looking. I can look over a few clones.

Preformance 7/10

I'm playing on a Alianware.

CPU: Intel I7 3.3GHZ

Ram: 4 Gigs

Graphics Card : ATI Radeon HD 4850 (Overclocked)

I'm very disappointed with this games performance, the game does look great but this is lag is unescapable. I have 50-60 FPS when I'm out in the woods, but if I go to a town I drop to 14-28. This is on midgrade settings, My computer should be well over the max. This is one of my biggest issues with the game.

Interface 8/10

So, I like the interface all but the laggy mouse (I'm sure it will be fixed for realese). Okay, this interface is hard if your a brain dead monkey or were addicted to WoW for 5 Years. The interface is fairly easy to understand and when you get the hang of it, it will just flow and run smoothly. The laggy mouse is a issue but I barly touch my mouse everything can be done from the keyboard. The only thing I use my mouse for is to turn my camra which runs farly smoothly. It is hard to deal with talking to anyother players because the UI is very slow on the communcations end I won't lie.

The World  4/10

Yes, if you are not looking at the world hard it does look amazing. The repeats of landmasses and trees will drive you to insantity and this is way below SE's normal standered with Final Fantasys. Usualy the world looks amazing each lake unique in this game, you will notice that this is not so.... Its very very disappointing.

Community 5/10

I already see the divide between the JPs and the English. The JP's will not help you with a mutual quest they will run off and and leave you to die. We already have spammers for gil. Generaly I can already see this community going to hell. The bad communications UI does not help either.

Class/Leveling  4/10

I hate it. It is nasty uncomplete its like of any effort amazeses me. It caters to the casuals and gives no bouneses to being Hardcore it very simple and kinda of boring.

Craft 10/10

Amazing crafting, the entire crafting system was beatifully done. Its diffcult and rewards your prestance and patiance (unlike leveling) It requires so much to make 1 item its not just the click and point and OH THERE IS A EPIC. Its complicated but not to complicated and it generaly is a very smooth processess once you start to understand it.

Servers/Stablity 1/10

I Disconnect or crash all the time. I have good internet I have a good computer why do I crash atleast 3 times in 4 hours. I constantly have high lattency its just terriable and this will be a issue at realease.

Overall 7/10

The game is flat out not ready for realese in 9 Days and it should be postponed and fixxed but it won't be and it will get punished for it. I would say this game had great opportunity but it was ruined by a rushed job. I will buy in hopes that they patch it up nice and make it more enjoyable if not It looks like Guild Wars 2, WoW, or Vindictus for me.

Comments

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

Originally posted by Serenes

I'm sorry this is another Review.

Character Creation 8.5/10

Okay, alot of people had beefs with this character creation but I do not understand why. I like not have crazy midgets with huge arms running around me. I'm just unique enough to not see 9 of me in 1 town. It could use alittle somthing else, but these characters are great looking. I can look over a few clones.

Preformance 7/10

I'm playing on a Alianware.

CPU: Intel I7 3.3GHZ

Ram: 4 Gigs

Graphics Card : ATI Radeon HD 4850 (Overclocked)

I'm very disappointed with this games performance, the game does look great but this is lag is unescapable. I have 50-60 FPS when I'm out in the woods, but if I go to a town I drop to 14-28. This is on midgrade settings, My computer should be well over the max. This is one of my biggest issues with the game.

Interface 8/10

So, I like the interface all but the laggy mouse (I'm sure it will be fixed for realese). Okay, this interface is hard if your a brain dead monkey or were addicted to WoW for 5 Years. The interface is fairly easy to understand and when you get the hang of it, it will just flow and run smoothly. The laggy mouse is a issue but I barly touch my mouse everything can be done from the keyboard. The only thing I use my mouse for is to turn my camra which runs farly smoothly. It is hard to deal with talking to anyother players because the UI is very slow on the communcations end I won't lie.

The World  4/10

Yes, if you are not looking at the world hard it does look amazing. The repeats of landmasses and trees with drive you to insantity and this is way below SE's normal standered with Final Fantasys. Usualy the world looks amazing each lake unique in this game, you will notice that this is not so.... Its very very disappointing.

Community 5/10

I already see the divide between the JPs and the English. The JP's will not help you with a mutual quest they will run off and and leave you to die. We already have spammers for gil. Generaly I can already see this community going to hell. The bad communications UI does not help either.

Class/Leveling  4/10

I hate it. It is nasty uncomplete its like of any effort amazeses me. It caters to the casuals and gives no bouneses to being Hardcore it very simple and kinda of boring.

Craft 10/10

Amazing crafting, the entire crafting system was beatifully done. Its diffcult and rewards your prestance and patiance (unlike leveling) It requires so much to make 1 item its not just the click and point and OH THERE IS A EPIC. Its complicated but not to complicated and it generaly is a very smooth processess once you start to understand it.

Servers/Stablity 1/10

I Discount or crash all the time. I have good internet I have a good computer why do I crash atleast 3 times in 4 hours. I constantly have high lattency its just terriable and this will be a issue at realease.

Overall 8/10

The game is flat out not ready for realese in 9 Days and it should be postponed and fixxed but it won't be and it will get punished for it. I would say this game had great opportunity but it was ruined by a rushed job. I will buy in hopes that they patch it up nice and make it more enjoyable if not It looks like Guild Wars 2, WoW, or Vindictus for me.

You can play Vindictus and GW2 along with this game since the other 2 have no monthly fees. Why do people think they are limited to only one game always?

Also, you don't seem to understand that a hardcore player can level up a ton of classes and make a well rounded character, you are not limited by the system at all.. A casual can only have time to level mayeb one or two classes per week, while a hardcore can do 10+ and will be much better with all the skills they acquire.

You need to watch this video: maybe you will understand the system more.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

The World  4/10

Yes, if you are not looking at the world hard it does look amazing. The repeats of landmasses and trees with drive you to insantity and this is way below SE's normal standered with Final Fantasys. Usualy the world looks amazing each lake unique in this game, you will notice that this is not so.... Its very very disappointing.

Nuff said...

• FortencFortenc Member Posts: 427

The overall score flabbergasts me after all of the low-scored negativity.  I'm easily flabbergasted, however.

Objectivity is delivered with a lack of personality made for the mainstream but never used for the mainstream.

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373

You gave it 47.5 / 80 which is closer to 6 / 10 overall.

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

Crap I ment to give it a 7/10 =S

• sultharsulthar Member Posts: 298

You give a 8 to interface and i dont know why. The game was clearly designed for consoles as was the previous FF mmo and us pc players are left aside. Its easy to double click a to attack but scroll down 2 menus with a laggy mouse its completely different. It makes me wish there was a fast attack or auto attack ...

I will also add a combat part : 3/10

How can anyone find combat challenging if your cant move, its like being back into 1600s battle where everyone was fighting in a row standing there waiting for a bullet to come. You hit, I hit ... are u dead ? No You hit, I hit... ho no I'm dead. Wow never seen such boring fights. Caster should try to get in range so they take less damage... cant range is near to 0 and even if you cast at max range the ennmy will be able to hit you in the same round most of the time. 

I didnt like the 11 and wont like 14, guess this game aint for me. Good luck to all of you.  

Originally posted by sulthar

You give a 8 to interface and i dont know why. The game was clearly designed for consoles as was the previous FF mmo and us pc players are left aside. Its easy to double click a to attack but scroll down 2 menus with a laggy mouse its completely different. It makes me wish there was a fast attack or auto attack ...

How can anyone find combat challenging if your cant move, its like being back into 1600s battle where everyone was fighting in a row standing there waiting for a bullet to come. You hit, I hit ... are u dead ? No You hit, I hit... ho no I'm dead. Wow never seen such boring fights. Caster should try to get in range so they take less damage... cant range is near to 0 and even if you cast at max range the ennmy will be able to hit you in the same round most of the time. 

I didnt like the 11 and wont like 14, guess this game aint for me. Good luck to all of you.  

I kinda ment for the Combat to go under the Class/Leveling sorry. It is very boring but most MMO combat is that way the monster are usualy what make it interesting.

The Interface can be worked with and it can become very quick and smooth if you know how too do it. FFXI I never used a controller once and its interface never bothered me. I think the interface is pretty easy to understand but everyone has been sheparded into this WASD and 1234567890-=  for everything that its the only thing they understand anymore.

I kinda ment for the Combat to go under the Class/Leveling sorry. It is very boring but most MMO combat is that way the monster are usualy what make it interesting.

The Interface can be worked with and it can become very quick and smooth if you know how too do it. FFXI I never used a controller once and its interface never bothered me. I think the interface is pretty easy to understand but everyone has been sheparded into this WASD and 1234567890-=  for everything that its the only thing they understand anymore.

Why use a game pad when you can have a keyboard with over 100 keys? its just being lazy as programmers to make it work for PC. If i wanted to play with a gamepad id play it on a console.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Why use a game pad when you can have a keyboard with over 100 keys? its just being lazy as programmers to make it work for PC. If i wanted to play with a gamepad id play it on a console.

Maybe if you paid more attention there is a hardware mouse mod with the new windower you can use now, and those that can't adapt to different control styles can use WASD+Mouse and it works just as intuitive and flawlessly as other MMOs now...

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

i tried to read the OPs post, but all the bad grammer and mispelling gave me a severe anurism.

i did make out his last bit, about constant disconnects, its only him, plenty of us in game 12 hours at a time without any hiccups.  his isp is crap or hes in some backwards 3rd world hole.  and as far as his pc specs, 4 gigs of ram and a 5 year old ati card is weaker then the ps3 so of course the game doesnt run well.  just the lack of any ati driver support at all would cause that.

Originally posted by Khrymson

Maybe if you paid more attention there is a hardware mouse mod with the new windower you can use now, and those that can't adapt to different control styles can use WASD+Mouse and it works just as intuitive and flawlessly as other MMOs now...

A mod ? already ? i knew it required so patching but a mod at this point is just weird. couldnt be included in the basic game?

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

Because the combat uses a turn based system, so you can choose the skills easily with a controller. Also, movement is much easier and more precise on a controller.

I understand some prefer keyboard eventhough it is originally developed as strictly a typing device and not a gaming device, so you can also use that as well.

Keyboard/Mouse is best for many games, but not for all.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You can't review community and stability in a open beta.

Community should be reviewed at least 3 months after release, it does not exist yet, just some random free beta testers.

The point of the open beta is a stress test of the servers, it will go down at times and that is good, they are trying to figure out what it can and can't take. So stability is not something worth looking on until the game is out.

The rest of the points are valid.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,179

Originally posted by Loke666

You can't review community and stability in a open beta.

Community should be reviewed at least 3 months after release, it does not exist yet, just some random free beta testers.

The point of the open beta is a stress test of the servers, it will go down at times and that is good, they are trying to figure out what it can and can't take. So stability is not something worth looking on until the game is out.

The rest of the points are valid.

I would say, if you've got gold sellers before beta is even through, that isn't normal for most betas.  Community usually takes time to build,  but sequel MMOs usually carry over much of the population of the former, therefore if it was prevalent there, I wouldn't see it being much different here.

On a side note,  I haven't had my chance to try FFXIV,  but I don't anticipate it will really be something I'd get into.  I didn't enjoy XI very much, although I did play it for a bit.  I find it strange that there are people out there who didn't like XI at all, don't really like Final Fantasy, yet they expect a different outcome from FFXIV.  I guess theres something to be said for optimism,  but it seems like some of the community seems to be bitter because the game isn't for them.  

• ironleviironlevi Member Posts: 122

Preformance 7/10

Lol 7/10?

How disappointed do you have to be to score 2-5?

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by ironlevi

Preformance 7/10

Lol 7/10?

I'm guessing a 1 would mean hardware failure. 2-5 would be BSOD's. 0 would be a nuclear explosion?

He who keeps his cool best wins.

Originally posted by neorandom

i tried to read the OPs post, but all the bad grammer and mispelling gave me a severe anurism.

i did make out his last bit, about constant disconnects, its only him, plenty of us in game 12 hours at a time without any hiccups.  his isp is crap or hes in some backwards 3rd world hole.  and as far as his pc specs, 4 gigs of ram and a 5 year old ati card is weaker then the ps3 so of course the game doesnt run well.  just the lack of any ati driver support at all would cause that.

I guess you argument about his spelling and his location in the world completely destroyed his arguments making them completely out of date.

And you probably went to his place look at his computer to check the versions of his drivers to see it was out of date too.

/irony off 

And if you cant read a text with misspelling try copy paste it in word, it will help you find the mistakes and correct them. After you could make a correct reply.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

Man oh man all these reviews!  I did not know we had so many unemployed reviewers in this community just itchin' to get their fingers on the keyboards and tell us their opinions (and in the worst cases their TRUTHS lol).  Firstly, wouldn't this be more of a pre-view?  With that aside it's a bit in the early stage of things to be belching forth this 3 page long essay on a game that's not really showing you everything its got.  (At this point enter those who say OB=DEMO.  I acknowledge you exist, now shoo and go froth elsewhere.)

The more I think about it....I think you guys are onto something.  All these ahead of time reviews...I'm guna be the first person to review IRON MAN 3!!!!  Expect my review next week, I know for sure that there will BE one, and that it'll have some special effects..and probably Robert Downy Jr.  Damn I'm excited to write about this topic that I obviouly know enough about to review because I have a keyboard and the internetz and a raging ego bigger than an elephants hardon.  (ick).

G'night.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Just going to single out one things, although I could comment on most, but nodoby listens anyway.

How come with the Combat scores nobody mentions about the Destuctble body parts and being able to disarm your opponent - thus stopping some of there skills. Oh I know why, because its not even in the game yet. Your just wasting your time. Wait until the game is out until you give a thorough review.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

Originally posted by Benthon

Originally posted by ironlevi

Preformance 7/10

Lol 7/10?

I'm guessing a 1 would mean hardware failure. 2-5 would be BSOD's. 0 would be a nuclear explosion?

1 one mean I hated it. I could deal with the lag on my machine because it was not that bad but from my friends and many others it only gets worse.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

I tried Open Beta for 3-4 hours hours when it was first made available. I didn't really have fun.

What publishes tend to forget is how important a functional Open Beta is (at least for the early part of the game) towards generating positive hype for a game release. Having a non-traditional UI/controls isn't a deal-breaker to me. Providing limited guidance on how to use several unique systems through proper introduction and tutorials is, frankly, unforgivable.

I quested, I battled, I crafted, I leveled. I reflected. Then I uninstalled and removed FFXIV from my list of potential purchases.

I saw nothing in FFXIV that would compel me to play for the long-term. The game is lovely, the cut-scenes are amazing, the character and world designs are engrossing, but the gameplay just did not appeal to me. The glitz and glamour of the world will slowly fade and the actual gameplay is what you will experience ever after.

For those who have found their new MMO of choice, I wish you well. I'm sure SE still has a lot to offer in terms of features and functionality. They do have to realize that the "West" is less forgiving just because it has "Final Fantasy" in the name, and with the tremendous competition for our MMO dollars, it is critical to make sure first impressions are as impressive as possible. For me, the Open Beta missed that mark.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

I think SE made some bad design choices, but I don't have to play the game.

I'm really getting annoyed by the performance issue though. It seems to me game performs poorly across the board. It also seems to me that people with mediocre or outdated computers think their system is better than required.

http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/recom/na/pc.html

This is the recommended system specs for the game. As you can see you have to have a beast of a computer to run the game windowed with some effects off. Of course this future proofs the game, but it sure as hell limits its target audience now.

---

Character Creation: Just because it is a high poly model doesnt make it good. The options are relatively few and the "Good" options are even fewer.

UI: The UI is slow and laggy and you gave it 8/10? Logic?

World: 4/10? I'd assume 5/10 is average(I'm guessing i'm wrong though...) So the game looks worse than the majority of MMOs?

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• OrtisaiOrtisai Member Posts: 162

sorry to tell you but your video card is a bottleneck,  and so is your CPU, try oc'ing your processor to its 2.8 boost and see how it performs.