Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population 100% fact

Sunday, Sept. 12  2010  6:00 PM EST    Server: Telon  ........... During Football

1-10         60

11-20       59

21-30       92

31-40       50

41-50       57

51-54       45

55             215      

------------------

Total        578    

Using the " Social > Search panel " I was able to gather the entire population. I must admit it was not easy since the search only displayed 40 max.  So I had to break my search down to Protective fighter, Healer, Offensive fighter, and Casters for all level ranges from 1-50. then 51,52,53,54 by them selfs. Then 55 I had to break it down to each class.   

For you that are unsure if this is high, medium or low population I can tell you now that this is high because I've done the same thing with WoW, EQ2, D&D Online, and now Vanguard.  And only few servers on WoW can match Vanguard...Not bad for early Sunday evening during Pro Football .............Right ? 

JUST THINK WHAT A SATURDAY EVENING AT 8 PM WOULD BE LIKE !!!

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Hay,

This is a little off topic but, would you like to have some fun with Vanguard and meet interesting people....Well if you do use the   "Social Panel" to make friends. I do it all the time.  Back in my WoW days before the dungeon finder was even invented People were amazed that I could get 5 man groups in less than 5 min....How did you do that they would ask?  Well simple the " social panel ".

Now how does this relate to Vanguard's Large world ?...Well with the nice size population of Telon, and  with things spread out like they are, and all them lazy good for nothin guild's out their we have the " social Panel " to find friends.

Now for all of you that are against spamming, I'll tell you right now that's bull crap. I've never had a single player on ANY MMO bitch at me for spamming EVER.  Look at it this way it's an mmo, it's Vanguard.  After level 20 most quest turn in to "required 3 or more player's " anyway.

Just ask nice........Hay would you like some help ? Go help and make a friend ! My Friends list are usually larger than my guild's. And when your in a dungeon and you find a quality player add him as a friend.  With 20 people on your friends list that you found in Dungeons, chances are you can gather at least 5 or 6 of them on a Friday or Saturday night to do another Dungeon.

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

At least everything except 500-600 players is 'high' for MMOs other than Vanguard is probably a 100% fact.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

You seriously think that a population of 578 is high? Even Warhammer Online gets more than that online at most times from only the lvl 40 population, and that's saying something.

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by page

Sunday, Sept. 12  2010  6:00 PM EST    Server: Telon  ........... During Football

1-10         60

11-20       59

21-30       92

31-40       50

41-50       57

51-54       45

55             215      

------------------

Total        578    

Using the " Social > Search panel " I was able to gather the entire population. I must admit it was not easy since the search only displayed 40 max.  So I had to break my search down to Protective fighter, Healer, Offensive fighter, and Casters for all level ranges from 1-50. then 51,52,53,54 by them selfs. Then 55 I had to break it down to each class.   

For you that are unsure if this is high, medium or low population I can tell you now that this is high because I've done the same thing with WoW, EQ2, D&D Online, and now Vanguard.  And only few servers on WoW can match Vanguard...Not bad for early Sunday evening during Pro Football .............Right ? 

Thanks Page

I still pay my subscription for Vanguard ,I just haven't looged on for about 5 months .

I plan to soon..how did the server moves go ?

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

wish i could say the same for the eu server helgar (or something like that :) )

got subbed yesterday and after a whopping 30 minutes i actually found some live players instead of npc's.

they should just merge all the servers into one to solve the population problem me thinks.

still one of the best games EVER.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

That seems like enough to find a group if you are looking for one and have toons at multiple level ranges. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

Originally posted by sepher
    At least everything except 500-600 players is 'high' for MMOs other than Vanguard is probably a 100% fact.

lol... no kidding. I've seen more than that on a bad day in EQ2 on a low population server... It's not uncommon to see that many 80+ online...

Shadus

Originally posted by Shadus

Originally posted by sepher

lol... no kidding. I've seen more than that on a bad day in EQ2 on a low population server... It's not uncommon to see that many 80+ online...

No its not, I did EQ2 about 8 months ago using social just like Vanguard. That game is not near as populated that most think

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

lol, i suggest you try it again then. I stopped at 500 and I only did the 80+ on ldl...

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure most people would be SHOCKED to find that vanguard has 500+ people on at any given time... but, honestly, that is NOT high population for any of the major games... and vanguard suffers from it more than any other game I know of because of the vastly huge world... it feels more empty than it really is.

Vanguard had peak of 120k subs and the last relatively well known numbers were in 2007/8 with the subs number still crashing and it was down to under 40k. They've done multiple 3/4:1 server merges to maintain any kind of population what so ever and I don't expect it will be long till there is only a single vanguard server. If you figure the peak population was 120k and that required 14 servers to manage you can figure that they had about 9k subs per server... due to optimizations over time and such you can realistically say each server can probably hold 1.5x that now fairly easily (they're not going to replace the hardware trust me) that means you're looking at 13k/server or less per server. So a realistic maximum population would be an active 26-30k if the servers are maxed out, which having played since the merge I can assure you... they're not. So lets say they have 25k and there's comfortable room for growth. 25k subs (or equiv since its unknown how station pass money is distributed) from that number you can extrapolate that if correct they're making ~30k/mo give or take. This is chump change. Lets say they have 5 total people working on vanguard (no idea, i think its probably about that many give or take) and the 2 programmers aren't working for less than $60k/yr (and they're not) and the manager takes same wage as programmer (lol) and the other two employees make half that. So equivalent of 4x60k/yr=240k that means vanguards current yearly profit before electricity, rack space, cooling, maintenance, etc... is ~130k give or take. You can also assume that every new game eats a few people for a net loss of population over time.... do the rough math. Magic 8-ball says "outlook grim".

Shadus

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

To bypass the 40 search limit, you use the "count" in your who command.  Hope that helps image

And by the way, 500'ish isn't high.  500'ish is what each servers had 2 years ago, when Vanguard still had multiple servers, PvE and PvP.  If anything, this shows you just how bad things have gotten with Vanguard, and why SOE pulled all dev resources away from VG. 

Oh and don't bother using football as an excuse, I guarantee you doing the same who count later will net you roughly the same result.  There's something happening every day.  Heck don't do a /who on Tuesday nights because omg american idol is on!  I mean come on, seriously?

I also find it funny that you are doing the who count in Vanguard and calls it fact, then tries to suggest other games have the similar numbers WITHOUT showing the actual counts heh.  Funny, I suppose we're to just take your words for it that EQ2 and WoW servers have similar numbers right?  The one absolute fact about this whole thing is that only Vanguard players can come out and boast about 500 players online playing their game when the game is down to 1 US 1 euro servers.  I gotta admire your loyalty and attempts at viral marketing.  But a word of advise, if you want people to play Vanguard, try not to go mouth off about the 500'ish numbers.  It.....doesn't attract players who care about player population.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• kazmokazmo Member Posts: 715

I wish that, I too, can make things 100% fact simply by saying so.

I am a courageous space marine, awarded with many space  marine medals, that is 100% fact.

Well it is a 100% fact if I did a Real time count, Right ?

Anyway I'm still on the Trial Isle, because both my friend and I are playing around with several classes. 

Hints before leaving the trial island :

1)  At least start crafting, finish the tutorial.

2) Get your harvesting to 100. It could be painful but its for the best.

3) Try and make some friends, but don't expect to make long term friends until AT LEAST LEVEL 15.

I would really like to do a good 8pm EST Player count on a Fri or Sat night but I can't stop playing.  I'll get to it.

I plan on starting a new post, with an honest review, with real time adventures, and how I find the social interactions of the population ( if they will play with you or not ). But not until I hit level 20.

• kazmokazmo Member Posts: 715

Well, I don't doubt that it gets pretty low at times, as it is only one server.

However, I'm pretty sure there is no functional way to count 'Anonymous' players, and there are quite a large number of them. For roleplaying, and for various reasons. They will not show up in any search except by name or guild. 

Correct me if I'm wrong.

So basically there is not telling how much people are active on the server(s) at any given time.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Originally posted by aeroplane22

Well, I don't doubt that it gets pretty low at times, as it is only one server.

However, I'm pretty sure there is no functional way to count 'Anonymous' players, and there are quite a large number of them. For roleplaying, and for various reasons. They will not show up in any search except by name or guild. 

Correct me if I'm wrong.

So basically there is not telling how much people are active on the server(s) at any given time.

I've done /who count before and it does count the anon people.  I tested it by putting my alt account on anon, and do a /who count in the zone.  It surely did count it.  I used to do these population count and actually tracked it for a period of 2 months when I was actively playing VG.  It was a site review for ign, was interesting to see the trend.

Of course back then, people were assuming anon people weren't counted, and kept on insisting the actual population was larger than shown.  So fanboys were telling me, a fanboy at the time, that I was wrong.  Amazing.   I mean I was a fanboy, but you can't deny population numbers, and you certainly can't deny how the population has done nothing but go down since launch.

Anyways, VG is fairly fun....until you get to the endgame levels.  So enjoy it while you can.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

Originally posted by MMOman101

That seems like enough to find a group if you are looking for one and have toons at multiple level ranges. 

You would think but from friday until today monday I have been looking for groups on several toons ranging from 33 to 42 and I have had 2 groups total during those 4 days. It's my 5 days off from work so I had more time than usual to spend gaming and planned on taking advantage of it. I spent it LFG and soloing the vast majority of time. One of the groups I started myself but never grew larger than 4 people because we simply couldn't fill the spots.

Anyone claiming this game is doing fine population wise is kidding themselves. There is plenty of grouping to be had if you are 50+ but you will find yourself solo'ing the way there unless you are lucky with the double xp weekends. That's the only times i really see people group up low/mid levels.

Vanguard is a great game but I would never recommend it unless you had a friend or two joining you.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

1-10         60

11-20       59

21-30       92

31-40       50

41-50       57

51-54       45

55             215      

------------------

Total        578    

578 is not high for an MMO world. I'm not sure what method you used for WoW but I can guarantee it wasn't accurate.

2000 on a single world at a time is where I would say the high amount starts for an MMO.

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

1-10         60

11-20       59

21-30       92

31-40       50

41-50       57

51-54       45

55             215      

------------------

Total        578    

578 is not high for an MMO world. I'm not sure what method you used for WoW but I can guarantee it wasn't accurate.

2000 on a single world at a time is where I would say the high amount starts for an MMO.

It isn't high at all. I just did a /who all count

1-10 - 39

11-20 - 38

21-25 - 25

26-30 - 29

31-44 - 36

45-49 - 12

50-51 - 23

52-53 - 16

I stopped there since I could care less if there were 1k players from 54 to 55. If you are a new player wanting to experience the game from 1 to 50 you are SoL even if you do manage to get into a good guild. I love the game but I'm getting worn out by soloing every time I log on

Originally posted by Fibsdk

1-10         60

11-20       59

21-30       92

31-40       50

41-50       57

51-54       45

55             215      

------------------

Total        578    

1-10 - 39

11-20 - 38

21-25 - 25

26-30 - 29

31-44 - 36

45-49 - 12

50-51 - 23

52-53 - 16

I stopped there since I could care less if there were 1k players from 54 to 55. If you are a new player wanting to experience the game from 1 to 50 you are SoL even if you do manage to get into a good guild. I love the game but I'm getting worn out by soloing every time I log on

In Vanguard grouping is important for survival. at level 20 most are group quest.

Now that we know it's group orientated game, we can understand that others are feeling the same. So, what do we do:

We look for others, How ?   Use the social panel, and ask others if they need help WITH THEIR QUEST not yours.  Think about this !   Do you think others give a rats ass what quest your asking for help with.  No.... GO HELP THEM and make a  friend.

Add many friends, and don't think about yourself !

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I'm always torn between giving up on this game and staying because of the lack of groups. At the moment I'm sticking with it but if things continue the way they have been I will just throw in the towel. At first I really enjoyed the open world and the unique feel of Vanguard. But I have a limited amount of time to play games, therefore I find it difficult to find groups and friends, and this is made more difficult by the fact that I tend play outside peak hours since I mostly work at nights.  That said, in the longterm I won't be playing this game in six months time no matter what happens. There simply isn't enough content at lvl 50+ to keep me interested and there certainly isn't anything being planned and it is already begining to age. I will be suprised if this game is around in two years, but it's a miracle that it's survived as long as it has given the problems it has had.

Originally posted by Fibsdk

1-10         60

11-20       59

21-30       92

31-40       50

41-50       57

51-54       45

55             215      

------------------

Total        578    

1-10 - 39

11-20 - 38

21-25 - 25

26-30 - 29

31-44 - 36

45-49 - 12

50-51 - 23

52-53 - 16

In Vanguard grouping is important for survival. at level 20 most are group quest.

Now that we know it's group orientated game, we can understand that others are feeling the same. So, what do we do:

We look for others, How ?   Use the social panel, and ask others if they need help WITH THEIR QUEST not yours.  Think about this !   Do you think others give a rats ass what quest your asking for help with.  No.... GO HELP THEM and make a  friend.

Add many friends, and don't think about yourself !

Nice speech but doesn't change the fact there has to be people playing to befriend in the first place duh.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

That's a shame. Too bad there is no realistic way to get people back into the game. I thought it was fantastic, but it really felt like a very large singleplayer game to me.

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

Simply untrue.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

I want to know what WoW servers he tried this on.  I'm on one designated "low" pop and there were over 500 (i finally stopped) level 80 alliance characters alone, and I didn't even get through 5 of the classes before I stopped, and its 4et, so not exactly a high play time period, especially since its a central time zone server.

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

Originally posted by sloeber

wish i could say the same for the eu server helgar (or something like that :) )

got subbed yesterday and after a whopping 30 minutes i actually found some live players instead of npc's.

they should just merge all the servers into one to solve the population problem me thinks.

still one of the best games EVER.

Most European players are now on Telon. They gave up waiting for Helgar to be merged with it (as was intended but then it got delayed/abandoned) and either petitioned to be moved or else re-rolled on Telon.

I recently resubbed and after a couple of deserted sessions on Helgar I re-rolled on Telon and have found the population very much stronger.

That said, the world is a huge one and unless you are at either extreme level-wise, ie on the Isle of Dawn or in the endgame areas you'll find everyone too thinly spread out. If grouping is your thing then you really need to get into a guild.

• OutisOutis Member UncommonPosts: 105

It is sad I love this game but lack of population made me leave. IMO Vanguard is the most in-depth MMO still active. It’s a shame its will probably wither and die. Perhaps another company will take some of the fundamentals from that game and instill it into a new MMO.