Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Evidence of extreme copy-paste development in FFXIV

Comments

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Originally posted by Elirion

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Originally posted by birdycephon

Not really.  Repetative graphics does not in any way correlate with gameplay.  FFXI had the same type of repetative graphics but had extremely deep story and gameplay.  It seems people are just looking for a reason to hate the game now and, for some reason, want to convince everyone else to hate the game too. 

To be clear, I do not "hate" this game.  I do however find this game to be one of the laziest development attempts of 2010.  Walking through this game and seeing this stuff made me feel like a red-hot nail was in my eyeball. 

Some people want to know what they are buying when they spend their money on things.  When people get older they become more aware of what the actual costs of living are and the "human cost" of attaining said amount.  When people are young they are uninhibited and spend cash without thinking of retirement or the bigger things in life.  That is exactly what game developers are hoping for.

What I have done here is provide valuable data that you can see with your own eyes and make an informed decision on what you spend your money on.  It is my hope that people will not spend money on games such as this that are developed so lazily but instead spend money on deeply engaging and detailed worlds that are ever expanding. 

Time and money is a large personal investment on a game that is neither "fleshed out" or easy to control on opening day. 

Ridiculous. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by cyress8

Originally posted by Illyssia

Originally posted by Robokapp
    oh. i got one.

the Altar in Burning Steppes and the Altar in Blasted lands look identical. They're both altars but...I guess we can put it on the list for WoW.
    More than that though if you look at one of the online WoW map sites on highest detail there seems to be quite a bit of cut-and-paste present, see link below.

http://mapwow.com/

It also is not blatantly obvious as the maps of ff14. Hell, I do not see the same damn lake or hill a few feet from each other on WoW's map. You think copying ground textures is equivalent to what FF is doing to pretty much their landmarks in game?

Actually it is more blatant as the graphic resolution available to players is much lower in WoW
  • seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

Ok, so I upgrade my pc, steal my kids PS3 controller, spend time learning to macro, hope that the game gets more quests, look online to get information. All just to jump into game and see the same area's over and over and over again. And the lovers defense is...what?

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Originally posted by seabeast

Ok, so I upgrade my pc, steal my kids PS3 controller, spend time learning to macro, hope that the game gets more quests, look online to get information. All just to jump into game and see the same area's over and over and over again. And the lovers defense is...what?

That we enjoy playing the game?  None of us are asking any of you to play.  It is you telling us not to play or like a game.  Who do you think is more reasonable here?

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Originally posted by choujiofkono

Originally posted by bloodaxes

I never even noticed those similarities when I played it, you really went in to find bad things in the game....

But go on spout the "facts" across the world someone will hear you.

That comment says more about YOU than it does about the game. 

Your awareness/lack of awareness of the games environment and the details about the game that complete your immersion into the MMO are things/variables that have nothing to do with the state of the game. 

For the vast majority of players they will be noticing these blatant money grubbing techniques pretty quickly and I will bet my paycheck that it will annoy the living crap out of them as much as it does me.

Please in the future try to make comments that contribute something of value to the topic. 

Seriously lack of awareness?

This is a game you don't go look into every corner to find flaws you play it to have fun.

Seriously can I know what you were thinking when you created this thread? and now don't tell you don't hate the game this thread shows how much you pinpoint at the very tiniest issue that not even the normal haters even mentioned.

Originally posted by seabeast

Can you actually post some in game screen shots from OB you took yourself that bother you...otherwise shoo
  • cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by cyress8Originally posted by Illyssia

oh. i got one.

the Altar in Burning Steppes and the Altar in Blasted lands look identical. They're both altars but...I guess we can put it on the list for WoW.
    More than that though if you look at one of the online WoW map sites on highest detail there seems to be quite a bit of cut-and-paste present, see link below.

http://mapwow.com/

It also is not blatantly obvious as the maps of ff14. Hell, I do not see the same damn lake or hill a few feet from each other on WoW's map. You think copying ground textures is equivalent to what FF is doing to pretty much their landmarks in game?

Actually it is more blatant as the graphic resolution available to players is much lower in WoW

And that gives the game an excuse in what it is doing, how? If they could not foresee that the majority of pc users have pretty weak systems, well, they have people working for them that have 0 business working in the industry. (Ooooo, nevermind, the game is made for consoles. Now I see why they had to do this. Consolitis at its finest.)

BOOYAKA!

Can you actually post some in game screen shots from OB you took yourself that bother you...otherwise shoo

You have contributed ZERO to the topic.  Unless you count sly remarks and smart mouth comments.  Do not tell people who are posting topic relevant opinions/info to "shoo" unless you judge yourself by the same standards.  I don't mind you posting rebuttles of the debate but posting nonsense is annoying to everyone. 

I have attempted to do as you asked with screenshots and you have contributed nothing other than to make it clear you are a blind defender of this game.  If you have nothing of value to offer one way or the other then post in another thread.  Please. 

To the topic of " picking out the smallest details".

To describe what has been done here as "smallest details" is blatant ignorance of the facts.  Meaning you are attempting to put blinders on and ignore the obvious evidence and facts of the situation.  That is your right to do so but don't post comments trying to belittle others for being more observant that you are, which is what is happening apparently from your own words.

There was a video showing some of what's going on.  The video is great but people would argue that some things are isolated incidents.  The overhead map puts it into perspective just how much of the game world is effected.  Add the video+the overhead map + the random wandering screenshots and what you have there is a trifecta of a junky game.  People deserve to know.

From my point of view I would have to write that your knowledge of FF XIV seems to mainly come from internet searching. As such not much weight can be placed upon it.

From my point of view I would have to write that your knowledge of FF XIV seems to mainly come from internet searching. As such not much weight can be placed upon it.

I haven't said much about the game at all.  The pictures I posted speak for themselves.  Apparently you searched the net yourself and decided to post more nonsense sassy mouth.  The whole point of the pics were so people can make their own judgements and not have to take someone elses opinion.

I have already told  you to stop posting here with the Nonrelevant comments. 

Take it to another thread, this is not a place to argue, this is a FORUM for discussion ON TOPIC.

RYTIF

See above. 

• HensenLirosHensenLiros Member Posts: 461

That's why the genre is in such embarrassing state. There's no excuse for such a shallow world (you have the capital, the guidleve camps - which all look exactly the same - and some other major cities like Aleport that are bland and featureless). I've played all the Final Fantasy series but this game is just a joke in some ways.

The worst part of it is you fanboys defending this game by saying that they're just following the industry's standard. Check out some older games maps, like Ultima Online:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc46/cadastrodejogos1986/UltUoMas.jpg

Or even Dark Age of Camelot (been a while since I played it but the world was nicely crafted).

Actually if it wasn't developed by SE I bet no one would try defending this crap. Hell, even FFXI enthusiasts won't pay to have that garbage forced down their throats, I wonder where all those fanboys came from.

Ultima Online 98~04
    Dark Age of Camelot 03~07
    Final Fantasy XI 04~06
    Guild Wars 05~08
    World of Warcraft 04~05
    Unsuccessful Tries: DFO/EQ2/DRaja/Rag/Req/RYL/9D/Cabal/KO/PSU/RF/GE/TO/TR/DDO/EVE/LoTRO/L2/RZ/SWG/VG

• solarfoxsolarfox Member Posts: 53
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by HensenLiros

That's why the genre is in such embarrassing state. There's no excuse for such a shallow world (you have the capital, the guidleve camps - which all look exactly the same - and some other major cities like Aleport that are bland and featureless). I've played all the Final Fantasy series but this game is just a joke in some ways.

The worst part of it is you fanboys defending this game by saying that they're just following the industry's standard. Check out some older games maps, like Ultima Online:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc46/cadastrodejogos1986/UltUoMas.jpg

Or even Dark Age of Camelot (been a while since I played it but the world was nicely crafted).

Actually if it wasn't developed by SE I bet no one would try defending this crap. Hell, even FFXI enthusiasts won't pay to have that garbage forced down their throats, I wonder where all those fanboys came from.

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with this post.

While it's true that most games copy + paste a certain amount of their game (for efficiency), they generally try to do it in a way that's not obvious or overused. There is just no excuse for what has been shown in this thread. None. This isn't a minor case of copy + pasting by any means, this is a majority of the game duplicated over and over again to pad content. If you are one of the people defending this as being 'okay', then you are not only delusional, but selling yourself short.

I also agree that if this was made by almost any other company but SE, people would not think twice about this game. I know FF games have their own unique  appeal, (I really do want to like this game), but using that appeal as a mask for a half-assed game is just wrong. If you want to play better MMOs, and not waiting around for worse and worse games, don't buy into this type of crap.

I'm not saying don't buy the game, but at least wait to see if they are actually going to address some of these issues before throwing your money away. Unless you are a huge fan of redundant, lazy, uninspired gameplay. Then by all means, this game is for you.

Imagine what the missions and future quests are going to be like on a game where so much of it looks the same(IS the same). 

Go to X place and kill Y thing and return to X. 

You just described most of the game with that one sentence when X place could be the same scenery in 36 places.  No landmarks to drive quest stories.  The argument that the story and the fun-factor will make it worth it to play is looking a little silly.

I haven't said much about the game at all.  The pictures I posted speak for themselves.  Apparently you searched the net yourself and decided to post more nonsense sassy mouth.  The whole point of the pics were so people can make their own judgements and not have to take someone elses opinion.

I have already told  you to stop posting here with the Nonrelevant comments. 

Take it to another thread, this is not a place to argue, this is a FORUM for discussion ON TOPIC.

RYTIF

See above. 

I could understand a well written post with your own OB screenshots making your points, but without that your points seem to hold little water.

RYTIF

See above. 

I could understand a well written post with your own OB screenshots making your points, but without that your points seem to hold little water.

You are not making sense in this discussion at all.  Zero.  You just want to argue.

Is it not obvious that the pictures speak for themselves as already stated?  I am not trying to convince you of anything.  I could care less if you waste your money on junky games the rest of your life.  Be my guest.  I personally invite you to throw your parents money into the the garbage if that is what makes you happy.

As far as the comment that I posted the pic in another forum.  

That is not the case.  The case is that several OB players were aware of the nastiness going on in the game and we got together and shared information.  You know, like consumers are supposed to do.  I'm sure that pic will pop up all over the place sooner rather than later.  I invite you to share in those places as well.  

As a consumer you can be turned into a blind sheep by multi million dollar companies or you can protect yourself with resources and friends sharing information.  Choose which ever makes you happy, I don't care personally.  The net is a powerful tool for consumers.  It was a lot easier to sell cheap crap to people in the pre-internet era.

• SelpharesSelphares Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by Selphares

Oh a new thread that should me let find the light? Or the only truth that is in the best case the same as that of the opener? Oh and if I find one it can not be the truth because it is not that of the opener?

Sorry it is senseless to even argue here  when you have not the same opinion as the opener. I eman if someone like he or she can all talk good or bad or destroy arguments against the original opinion if he or she likes.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.  Try typing in english.

Furthermore try to also read the entire thread and examine each picture closely before making any judgements.

And for people that don't notice...

The pictures contain 2 sets of 4 shots although you'll have to scroll over to see the 2 on the right for the upper set and the lower set.  So that means there are 4 separate areas on 4 separate spots on the map that were km's away from each other that had almost the exact same layout/textures trees, plants, road, etc. 

These spots were happened apon randomly, after the fact that the copy/paste technique was noticed, and are not even close to the only matching spots that will be discovered in this game after more time has been spent inside it. 

NO I will not be entertaining pm requests for anymore pics that have been taken by myself because I AM DONE wasting time on this game xD  But feel free to post more of your own comparison shots here if you guys feel like it   (for some reason I am quite sure people won't want to take the time now that they have seen what the deal is).

Well you prove my arguments pretty well and not all people have english as their original language.  Aside of that you should first learn some behavior and attitude. :)

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

You can tell theres a ton of copy/pasted areas while running around too, I thought I was in the matrix after i ran through what seemed to be the same area 3 times in a row while running along a path oin a straight line  within the first hour of gameplay.

Well you prove my arguments pretty well and not all people have english as their original language.  Aside of that you should first learn some behavior and attitude. :)

I have no idea what your argument was because you are incapable of typing in english legibly.

I also have no patience for people who think it's other peoples job to decipher what they can not type correctly.  This is not a display of bad behavior or attitude rather an annoyance at the fact that foreigners (in general) seem to think it intelligent to post in a forum of another language when they could just as easily post in a forum of their own.  Good luck with that.

But this is off topic again xD 

By the way it is sort of fun that first all the typical "I not like the game" persons first now enrage about this after someone pointed it out. It is not since the closed beta or the open beta first runs since yesterday.

I love this trollthread. :)

Oh and let me bow before the superior language skills from the opener. I mean you sure must hate the worldwide server concept of ff14 as well or? People that not speak your language everywhere...

• illanadanillanadan Member Posts: 314

in WoW I can remember the desert zones being pretty featureless

as opposed to...real deserts?

"featureless" is an actual feature of deserts. :)

Having grown up in a desert I can attest to the truthfulness of this! Even the occasional mesa's you may see look like the last one you saw.

- Case: Thermaltake Kandalf Black Chassis
    - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (OC'd 4.2GHz on Water Cooling)
    - Memory: Mushkin 8Gb (4x 2Gb) DDR3 1600Mhz
    - HDD: Dual Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
    - GFX: (2) XFX Radeon HD 5870 in CrossFire - New upgrade! :)

"I like wow, I like aion and I like AoC all for different reasons.....the later cause i get to see boobs, but still its a reason!!" - Sawlstone

By the way it is sort of fun that first all the typical "I not like the game" persons first now enrage about this after someone pointed it out. It is not since the closed beta or the open beta first runs since yesterday.

Oh and let me bow before the superior language skills from the opener. I mean you sure must hate the worldwide server concept of ff14 as well or? People that not speak your language everywhere...

Again I can not decipher what you are trying to say.  Something about enraged about pointing out something.  Noone is enraged here, it is just a thread with pictures.  Doesn't get much simpler than that.

The second part of what you typed I can sort of make out so I will reply.

These forums are english.  I do not know what your original language is or I would attempt to better communicate with you if I had something to say to you.  Sprechen sie deutsch?  No?  Sprechen sie english?  Sort of?  I'm good with either one of those languages and sort of good with a few more if you like to try one of those.  I suggest if you know german better than english we could pm if you like since IT IS RUDE to type in another language on an ENGLISH forum.  I also believe it to be RUDE to type very bad english in an english forum.  See where I'm going with this?  If you'd like to discuss off topic things further then let us take it straight to the PM's.

Again I can not decipher what you are trying to say.  Something about enraged about pointing out something.  Noone is enraged here, it is just a thread with pictures.  Doesn't get much simpler than that.

The second part of what you typed I can sort of make out so I will reply.

These forums are english.  I do not know what your original language is or I would attempt to better communicate with you if I had something to say to you.  Sprechen sie deutsch?  No?  Sprechen sie english?  Sort of?  I'm good with either one of those languages and sort of good with a few more if you like to try one of those.  I suggest if you know german better than english we could pm if you like since IT IS RUDE to type in another language on an ENGLISH forum.  I also believe it to be RUDE to type very bad english in an english forum.  See where I'm going with this?  If you'd like to discuss off topic things further then let us take it straight to the PM's.

Well we sure could try to use the german language if you like, but than again it would be unfriendly to insit on this from my side. Aside of that it makes no sense to talk about something where people have already a formed opinion.

My whole point was just that it is useless to argument agsinst soomone dislikes about gamefeatures. The reason is simple that it is very easy to create arguments that defend the own opinion.  I even could say for example but they created a great looking heaven and someone would argue and prove that the clouds are not cloudy enough.

In short starting arguments with proves in a forum is useless.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

almost every single game does this to some extent.  If they didn't it would take twice the time to make the game.

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

I have no idea what your argument was because you are incapable of typing in english legibly.

I also have no patience for people who think it's other peoples job to decipher what they can not type correctly.  This is not a display of bad behavior or attitude rather an annoyance at the fact that foreigners (in general) seem to think it intelligent to post in a forum of another language when they could just as easily post in a forum of their own.  Good luck with that.

But this is off topic again xD 

Now while I agree that the copy paste on the enviroment is pretty much a huge ripoff on the consumer, then blaming someone for not being able to spell properly is just plain stupid.

It could easily have been an english person with dyslectic problems, though you then blame one for not being able to spell properly when you your self earlier stated that its a forum and that its meant for discussion which in my world means that anyone no matter how good at spelling that person might be is indeed allowed to air his or her oppinions.

This discussion has been closed.