Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: F2P Gamers Movement Founded

Comments

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380

I think you guys need to take the F2P term literally.  The games are "free" to play.  TO PLAY.  Not neccesairly to complete, or to max level a character or to raid or to PVP etc etc etc.  The term literally means you can log on for free, run around for free and kill stuff for free.  Beyond that refer to the cash shop for the pay aspect of the games.

People see the term F2P and assume that everything should be included.  You don't have to have max stats, max armor, or be able to raid to be able to "play."

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

It's nice that they want quality F2P games, but it's simply not going to happen. You can't get a good quality game with a game that is actually free, because you can't pay the developers... which is the next point, F2P games aren't free, because of cash shops -- which the existence of diminishes the quality of said game. It's a vicious circle of delusion bred from marketing.

P.S.

Where's the P2P movement? You know, the people who are sick of F2P creep in the form of microtransactions and just want to pay their monthly subs to get full access to games without the developers trying to milk them like cattle.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

How about a movement to get cheapskates to realize that you get what you pay for and making video games isn't a charity.

If you want better quality then pay for it.

If you want to play a game for free then don't whine that you have to pay to get certain features.

So tired of these people.

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

You know those people who, after a while of listening to them yell their views, you want to join the other side out of spite? So yeah, don't know why the anti-F2P's zealots are trashing this particular site. Read the mission statement on the site - It basically addresses the vast majority of the complaints against the genre, and states that they need to be fixed.

------------------------------

We all know there are thousands of players in the world of free to play games, but the goal is to bring all of them together in one place and join forces and expertise. One player's opinion hardly matters, but the strength of a community makes all the difference. Help us reach millions of gamers.

• Previously paid games like Everquest II, Dungeons and Dragons Online and Lord of the Rings Online already jumped into the free to play wagon. One of our goals is to bring more quality multiplayer games such as World of Warcraft to the free to play model. (Blizzard already said that Free-to-play World of Warcraft is a possibility, so let’s make them hurry up with a decision).

• Confirm that there is a market for developers to invest more in Free to Play games and thus increase their quality standards, especially in new games.

Change the games that define themselves as free to play and yet block almost the entire game, acting like a demo version. It is understandable that payments can unlock content, but, for example, monopolize a game that has 100 cities and only allow to play freely in one town or only up to level 9, when there are 80 levels to achieve… This is not our definition of Free to Play.

End with the games that sell in-game items that disrupt the entire balance of the game. In those cases the player with the most items wins, so it’s just not fun and a lot of players end up giving up on the game and making it fade into oblivion. In-game stores should sell items, yes, but aesthetical or others that won’t give unfair advantages to any player.

More quality instead of quantity.

• Better service and better solutions for hackers, spammers, and bots.

Less grinding and more in the way of actual content.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

I find the website a complete joke.. I told the guy behind it when he was posting all over mmorpg.com about it that it would never work.  

F2P games have to make money just like all other games. If you don't like a aspect about a game and it bugs you so much.. maybe you should just find another game to play? Why try to force your views or yours and a few friends views on other people that enjoy a game the way it is.

• chronbodichronbodi Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by justandulas

If they were actually F2P I'd support you, but I have yet to run across a F2P game that was truly F2P without some kind of catch to pull in money. I was fooled recently with league of legends (not an mmo) all my friends swore it was f2p but any of the good toons have to be bought with RL cash, just like all F2P games.

Actually, every single toon in the game is free to play in a rotation. Every week or 2 they switch it up so you get a new set of free toons to play. Moreover you can buy the characters with IP which you get for playing games. I've bought 6 of them so far in 3 weeks of playing and haven't spent a penny. Any characters you buy are perma unlocked but you can still play any of the others who happen to be up on rotation. Granted, a lot of f2p games are not f2p; League of Legends IS f2p though.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

It seems to me that it's time to start up an Anti-Free to Play movement.

The vast majority of so-called "F2P" is absolute rubbish, and it simply isn't worth it for developers and gamers to have every MMO released free to play.

First of all, I am absolutely opposed to nickel-and-diming of gamers in modern video games. I won't buy DLC for any of the single player games I play, and my days of buying crap for an MMO are at an end. The modern video game industry no longer makes games to bring fun and entertainment to gamers (with the side effect of profit) but they now focus on making a profit above all other considerations. Having all MMOs become free to play is just encouraging the industry to slant more in this direction.

Second, attempting to stamp out other legitimate business models in favour of a single model just seems all sorts of bad. This reminds me of the RIAA attempting to prevent all types of online music distribution because they are afraid of such models. I don't want that kind of backwards thinking creeping into the MMO industry.

Third, the quality of games is going to suffer if they go free to play. They say they want to encourage developers to create good quality free to play games, but on the whole those two concepts, "good quality," and "free to play," are mutually exclusive. With a game with a monthly subscription, the developers of said game are assured a regular  monthly income, initial box sales can offset a lot of costs for development, and lots of content updates can be released that the subscriber doesn't ever have to pay for (because they pay monthly.) If MMOs were to go free to play, then we can say goodbye to the continued development of the game, and hello to the continued development of the item shop.

In all, I hate the idea of this stupid movement, and I think it looks suspicious. That's a pretty slick logo and website they've got there. I know professional web developers and those types of things are not cheap at all.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

The only game with an actual real free to play version in my opinion is Anarchy Online.  Which is kind of funny since the game is 10x better than most of the f2p trash that comes out.

• BowWakeBowWake Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by Gruug

How about changing the whole "f2p" term from something a little more honest. Since in order to actually play most so-called f2p games you end up have to pay for something. PAYING is NOT f2p in the truist sense of the term. If there is a reason to be AGAINST such a thing as a F2P Gamers Movement, it is becaue people are being lied to about what f2p actually is or does and this "movement" does nothing to change that.

Truthiness!

How about MT2P? or F(MT)2P?

Or F2P, bMtPW [Free to Play, but Money to Play Well]

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by psyknx

lol theres no f2p games.

I tried a few but end up spending more in 1 month than I would on a P2P in 1 year ::P

For every one person like you there are nine people who enjoy the game without ever spending a dime.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• xoringxoring Member Posts: 65

Wow, a bunch of freeloaders whining about the freemium model. Who would have guessed.

If you want quality, pay for it. Or make it yourself. There are some open source MMOs out there.

It's expensive to develop and run servers for an MMO. That money has to come from somewhere. Stop asking for a handout. Get a job (that's the ultimate MMO, anyways).

• EtherniaEthernia Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Originally posted by Ethernia

Originally posted by justandulas

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

Lol at the guy above me. League of legends IS f2p. You earn points during matches which you can use to purchase runes/champions etc. before you start talking get your facts right.

lol at this little jabroni. LoL is f2p if you read what I said, it charges for all the good charecter's and spare outfits. You can't buy the other outfits with points earned and you have to play for a rediculous amount of time to earn enough points to "buy" another toon. Like all F2P games , anything good will cost you RL money.  Get your facts straight before you make a fool of yourself on a forum by being a blind fanboi. I wasn't bashing LoL, just stating the obvious that nothing of value is free in that game or most any F2P games.

I guess your definition of "rediculous" is different to most people.

It isn't hard to earn enough to unlock multiple toons, or fill out entire rune sets.

You should consider taking your own advice, and get your facts straight ;)

LOL, the blind are posting.  Tried the game, your definition of isn't hard and what the rest of world considers the meaning is, has a huge gap between it.

Like the man said that game is far from free!

As to the movement, the best way to get these games to change their greedy designs is not to play them.  A website is going to have no effect.

A better solution is a movement to get those that spend freely in these games to stop or at least cut back.  As long as people continue to dump money into these games, they will not change.

If you think LoL is hard to unlock toons/runes, then perhaps you should stick to scrabble.

• GozerTCGozerTC Member UncommonPosts: 119

You know I'm sick and tired of the entire F2P vs P2P "Debate."  Seriously.  It's all crap. 

I suggest we start a "End to Crappy Games" site.  Just destroy all crap games no matter the pay type.  Sheesh. 

Current Game: Asssasins Creed 2(PS3, Gamer Tag: Happy_Hubby)
    Current MMO: World of Warcraft and World of Tanks
    Former Subscribed MMO: Star Trek Online, Aion, WoW, Guild Wars, Eve Online, DAoC, City of Heroes, Shattered Galaxy, 10six.
    Tried: Too many to list

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

I would love for everyone of you people who are bashing F2P MMOs to name me 1 single P2P that has been worth more then garbage since WoW. War, AoC, Aion, D&D, LotRO, Champions, Star Trek, all have been garbage. Though you people are more then willing to throw your money away for games like that but a game that doesn't force you to pay then it's a scam? Most of you people need your heads examined.

• mechermecher Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by Otakun

I would love for everyone of you people who are bashing F2P MMOs to name me 1 single P2P that has been worth more then garbage since WoW. War, AoC, Aion, D&D, LotRO, Champions, Star Trek, all have been garbage. Though you people are more then willing to throw your money away for games like that but a game that doesn't force you to pay then it's a scam? Most of you people need your heads examined.

EVE, EQ2, granted they came out before WoW but they are still around.

Also WAR is not that bad.

Oh and BTW EvE is the ONLY game that is truly F2P. Where else can I buy 30 days game time with IN-GAME money? And still have full access to the entire game?

So only EvE is a F2P game and yet also Pay2Play game as well. CCP For the win!

• liamkincaidliamkincaid Member UncommonPosts: 27

Lots of gamers and confused people need to undertand that the free to play model it´s not just about playing without  spending money, but instead giving players the flexibility to choose where to spend, when, and how they want to do it, allowing the player to control how much he wants to spend.

It simply makes no sense to be forced to pay a fee for hours that we will not use.

You can find this info in the F2P Movement Site....

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

*FTP

Game company X is not responsible for excessive expenses required to play as non-gimped with all the features available. "Free" is defined as any nickel and diming to our peon-customers that company X can get away with legally and still be defined as "FREE". Company X reserves the right to incur more nickel and diming of our peon-customers as many times as Company X deems warranted in the future.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

They can have their webiste, I will respectfully aviod it like the plauge.

Thanks but no thanks.

• ZaovrantarZaovrantar Member Posts: 85

Originally posted by Burntvet

Originally posted by Kyleran

Rather than encourage F2P I'd prefer to see the movement crushed. Not one F2P game has shown me that it's worth playing, maybe until that happens I'll remain a skeptic.

Agreed.

My experience thus far, is that "F2P" is just a marketing gimmick used by low budget producers that put out products that can't compete with the major producers, or as a way to attempt to soak the weak willed for more $$$ than a sub fee.

Either way, not interested.

I agree.

The F2P market is just a marketing gimmick and it's a lie. There's no way you can experience a F2P game decently. ... without paying.

Example:

If you play Lotro for "free" you are limited to 2 Gold ... I'd say these games are nothing more than a business scam.

I wonder if the guys supporting this F2P site are as naive as they look.

Suddenly coming out of the blue just when the company behind Lotro/DDO turns "F2P".

No coincidence. And - like all F2P games - this will not make Lotro into a multi million (dollar) success either.

It is just a very mediocre and dull game, like all F2P games.

• hcosminhcosmin Member Posts: 45

Yeah that site is not astroturfing at all *rollseyes*.

We don't want our subscription games to turn into cash shop games where real money buys your way to victory, thank you.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Originally posted by Otakun

If I considered $15 a month throwing my money away, well then I'd have MUCH MUCH bigger problems then worrying about gaming. Even someone who works for minimum wage can afford a p2p MMO subscription. It's been repeated on here a million times, it is cheaper to play an MMO then most other forms of entertainment out there.

If $15 is hurting your budget then you shouldn't be playing video games and should instead be working on finding a job.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by Gruug

How about changing the whole "f2p" term from something a little more honest. Since in order to actually play most so-called f2p games you end up have to pay for something. PAYING is NOT f2p in the truist sense of the term. If there is a reason to be AGAINST such a thing as a F2P Gamers Movement, it is becaue people are being lied to about what f2p actually is or does and this "movement" does nothing to change that.

Good to see some people can wake up to reality as there is NO SUCH THING as FREE to play,end of story.

Instead the movement should read "Leechers are us" since they leech off of the money spent by other players in that game.This is no different than staring up a welfare movement,sure it must be great if people are paying your way.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• powerofcashpowerofcash Member Posts: 2

That site is a gimmick to drive him popularity and sales lolz. Some big high and mighty guru bent on controlling the voices of concern already addressed on this forum. Sell the information on the net previously posted to potential advertisers and developers for a quick profit in the long run. Most people that whine do not know anything about business or business modeling. 

Businesses need to make money, and most offer things for free to try, to play with, to interact with. You heathens want a game for free, where you get access to ALL the goodies for nothing. That being said how would you then support a game like that? There has to be some kind of catch to make them money. The people that whine aren't working, aren't able to buy some really cool stuff from cash shops. Go back to your xbox, but wait you need to pay for live memberships as well. You freeloaders need to learn that Free To Play is to play the game for free, not get addons for wardrobe and upgrades for free. Those are offered for people who don't freeload.

Most game models do screw up. Perfect World attempted to fix this by making it able to purchase their ZEN with in game currency, which would drop the acts of criticism that everyone puts on the cash shop models. But then again the FREELOADERS want to be able to farm incredible amounts of in game currency for NO INVESTED TIME and with NO EFFORT. People have gotten lazy, unappreciative of the games on the market. Their fat heads and egos are too big, so they decide to want everything handed to them for free.

Even if a game came along with all the problems addressed in it, people would still complain and flame about it. If you seriously think that these bunch of flaming morons would even support a game that would be revolutionized in the Free To Play industry, your wrong. They only want to steal, hack and fart their way to the top of a mmo instead of trying to work for it. I don't support grind, but imagine a game with little to no grind, loads of content, mini games, additional costumes and items for pets and mounts in cash shop at reasonable prices. THEY WOULD WHINE STILL, WANTING TO EXPERIENCE FOR FREE LIKE SOME SORTA GANGSTER. THEY WOULD RATHER SELL ILLEGAL THAN PAY TAXES AND WORK FOR THIER MONEY. 

Now the option is left to ignore these people as they talk very big, but don't act very big at all. You can whine all you want, but like I said, once you start flapping your gums in the wind, you're addicted and won't stop even if you got your way.

An educated person is not, necessarily, one who has an abundance of generalized or specialized knowledge. An educated person is one who has so developed the faculties of his mind that he may accuire anything he wants, or its equivalent, without violating the rights of others.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

If ANYONE for any reason is capable of spending REAL MONEY on something in one of the so-called f2p games then how is it FREE? It does not make a difference if someone can play without spending money. What makes it NOT be a f2p game is the fact that the games DO charge real money for something. That is NOT free to play. Not arguing if it is right or wrong other then the fact that using the term free to play is not ethical. Of course, when people hear that word "FREE" they are drawn to it like bears to a honeycomb. And just like the bears, if they want all the game has to offer, they eventually get stung.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

isnt the idea behind a consumers' movement that if their demands/concerns arent met/addressed..

...they'll take their money elsewhere?

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins