Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going Free to play, Pay to win!!

Not only did they have a miserable launch, they just announced they are going free to play.  (free to try)

"The game is going to be 'much more microtransaction oriented'"

Here's the link.      http://www.massively.com/2010/09/09/need-for-speed-world-goes-free-to-play/#continued

It will be pay to win.   You can buy speed boosters and parts for your cars.    I smell another fail mmo.

They didn't get the subs they expected, basically, in my opinion, an mmo based on car races, with no form of avatar social hub is an extemely small niche market.   Now they go Microtransaction with a cash shop. 

The people who purchased the original release, will get compensated with a 7 day car rental voucher..... 

That doesn't sound like good compensation to me for purchasing a game, then have the company make it free.

Sounds like all they're adding should've been content put in the original game. 

Do companies really expect us, the gamers, to keep falling for this pay for content, pay to win garbage in "free" games that should've been completed THEN released?

Good luck with it, is all I have to say.

Comments

• thepeasant98thepeasant98 Member Posts: 215

We all know if its a Good game it will all ways be Pay to play...These so called free to play games are just a stepping stone for me till a Good pay to play games comes out..

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

After the beta (Which I only played 10 minutes of lol, game was that bad) I didn't even think it would launch. I can't imagine anyone above the age of 10 playing this. It's like the old arcade style racing games. Very cheesy lol. 

• heyokheyok Member Posts: 9

I actually pre-ordered/bought the game. I feel ripped off. They are giving us three free rental cars in exchange for buying the game... wow great... not.

It seems this game is going to fail. Not because it's a bad game but because of the audiance. The majority of NFS fans are young and have no capability or interest in paying for the game.

I wouldn't be suprised if they start putting up ads in game since most of the players will never pay a dime.

• prototypoprototypo Member UncommonPosts: 179

Originally posted by heyok

I actually pre-ordered/bought the game. I feel ripped off. They are giving us three free rental cars in exchange for buying the game... wow great... not.

It seems this game is going to fail. Not because it's a bad game but because of the audiance. The majority of NFS fans are young and have no capability or interest in paying for the game.

I wouldn't be suprised if they start putting up ads in game since most of the players will never pay a dime.

I understand your pain, i to have done everything you have and also feel shafted, it's sad when you cant even see in your own game that the level cap wasnt being reached because of the retarted grind it takes to level up past level 10 or even in the 7-10 range for that matter. Well they wont be seeing my hard earned dollar after a stunt like this. Guess i'll get dead rising 2  and siege of mirkwood.

EDIT: Also if you have an account dont rage to much but the profile's (Website profile) arent working due to the stress on the servers. I've sent in a Question/Ticket and i will patiently wait for a reply.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Racing + f2p = always pay to win.

I really do hate that pay2win phrase.. but there is no other way to make a cash shop work in this genre, atleast as far as i've seen with all the others out there, and by "work" I mean stuff being bought.

If they used any other formula (like purely cosmetic) things just wouldn't sell enough to make a viable source of income.

Everyone loves competition in racing games, that's pretty much the reason to play such games, and with that in mind it's easy for developers to take advantage of their consumers, since if even just one person were to buy such enchancing upgrades others would need to too or just be left in their dust everytime, it's a pretty vicious and never ending cycle.

So yeah.. they basically always end up being pay2win's :(

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

yes it is pay to win actually when i saw that i must pay real cash for the beter performance car

if they want to make it F2P and give some advantage to pay players just give them some other cars that F2P players never to get

EDIT: When i say different cars, i mean different models or brands, not same brand/model with better stats is they give now

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN