Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a way to see your crafting recipes?

PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I've only crafted using the regional/local guildleves. The mats and items you make are provided and used in the guildleves only.

How do you see what items you can craft for your own personal use or to sell? It would be helpful to see the recipe, so that you know what materials to add to the synthesis window or what to buy from a player or NPC.

Hopefully ther is a UI window that I haven't discovered yet.

Comments

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

Nope...at least nothing implemented yet, just like in FFXI...you had to memorize them or look at an online database.  I could have sworn all the recipes in my house were written down, in a "Recipe Book"....so I didnt have to do this all the time LOL

You could always just print the list out...make your own book?

• UldahUldah Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by Psychow

I've only crafted using the regional/local guildleves. The mats and items you make are provided and used in the guildleves only.

How do you see what items you can craft for your own personal use or to sell? It would be helpful to see the recipe, so that you know what materials to add to the synthesis window or what to buy from a player or NPC.

There is none right now.

That said you should have noticed when you complete a local guildlevel it says "you have lerned (item name) recipt". So i see it added in the near future.

That being said if the system is anythin like ffxi was, is not gonna be easy to find out the  materials and such until a wikki is updated.(not defending or flaming , just the way it is.)

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Does this mean that a crafter can make items that he hasn't learned yet? Just as long as he has the mats and his crafting skill level is the appropriate level?

In every other MMO I have played, you had to train/buy/discover a recipe before you could attempt it. So this would be much diferent that what I, or I'd expect, many others are used to. Interesting.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

You shouldn't have to go to an external site to reasonably use a games features. Especially in this game since you crash if you tab out. I would like to see the game "remember" recipes for you after you have done them once. This way you would still get that sense of needing to discover how to do things but it would simply help you out there after.

All die, so die well.

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Does this mean that a crafter can make items that he hasn't learned yet? Just as long as he has the mats and his crafting skill level is the appropriate level?

In every other MMO I have played, you had to train/buy/discover a recipe before you could attempt it. So this would be much diferent that what I, or I'd expect, many others are used to. Interesting.

Dont quote me on this, as I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you have to have the correct skill manual to make something. Like turning clams into chalk you require the milling manual (you start with this one). And it looks like the guild tokens are used to buy the different manuals, at least from what the vendors have on them now.  But since it doesn't look like you can gain guild tokens in open beta, I'm not sure exactly how this will be at work in the long run.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• bios5300bios5300 Member Posts: 38

Yes, you can pretty much mix whatever ingredients you want together.  If it works, it will give you an item.  If it doesn't then it doesn't have a recipe.  It will tell you when you try to combine things that there is no recipe for it.

Originally posted by Kaocan

Dont quote me on this, as I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you have to have the correct skill manual to make something. Like turning clams into chalk you require the milling manual (you start with this one). And it looks like the guild tokens are used to buy the different manuals, at least from what the vendors have on them now.  But since it doesn't look like you can gain guild tokens in open beta, I'm not sure exactly how this will be at work in the long run.

This only is for especial skills/craft abilities, that indeed some (not many) synth requires.

You can synth at will , if it works it should start crafting . if to low or missing an ability but the right items it will say " your rank is to low for this " or " you do not posses the required skills for this synth"

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

The only think you need to try a "recipe" is the correct tool or tools for it. In order to turn moko grass into hempen yarn you need to have a needle in your main hand to change your job to weaver and then for this particular item you need to have a spinning wheel in your off hand. then some how you need to discover that you need to ready 2 pieces of moko grass and it will then ask you if you want to turn it into hempen yarn. Completely discovery based. in order to suceed in making it you do have to have enough skill to pull it off depending on what the item is. At least this is true for the beginning stuff. I haven't gotten far yet.

All die, so die well.

This video shows what I was mentioning earlier. At I think 0:19 in this person has selected to make a Bronze Plate which requires a single Bronze Ingot. Notice on the screen at this time that it also has a 'Required Skill' of 'Sheeting Training'. These are the books that are on the vendors at the guild houses right now that take guild marks to buy. I'm betting that even if you have the Bronze Ingot and the class level, without the required skill training book, you will nto be able to make a Bronze Plate. Of course right now, some of these starting books at given out automatically in open beta and may have been in closed beta. I'm curious though if that will be the case in the live version. My guess, and its only a guess right now, is that you will need to earn those skill books from the guilds, and without them, you wont be able to just toss materials together and get lucky on a new recipe

EDIT: Oh yeah, just wanted to point out, there really is some effort involved int he crafting process besides just random selection of the 4 options. The color of the light does make a difference and you can manipulate it through waiting to pull off a success most of the time, class level high enough for the item your trying to make that is.

I also found some info on these skills manuals on the Yellow Gremlin.

Notice how this Copper Scepter reuires Inlay Training.

http://ffxiv.yg.com/recipe/copper-scepter?id=704

But this Bone Staff does not.

http://ffxiv.yg.com/recipe/bone-staff?id=620

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Originally posted by Uldah

There is none right now.

That said you should have noticed when you complete a local guildlevel it says "you have lerned (item name) recipt". 

Not right away I didnt.  I was in an area with other crafters so there was always a lot of spam from their completions mixing it up, plus the purple font isnt very clear to read.  Sure wish Id known to write them down.  Thats a lot of recipes Ill probably never get back since Im guessing that once you learn it you never get a second chance to learn it again.  I guess Ill get my second chance when it releases tho.

Originally posted by svann

There is none right now.

That said you should have noticed when you complete a local guildlevel it says "you have lerned (item name) recipt". 

Not right away I didnt.  I was in an area with other crafters so there was always a lot of spam from their completions mixing it up, plus the purple font isnt very clear to read.  Sure wish Id known to write them down.  Thats a lot of recipes Ill probably never get back since Im guessing that once you learn it you never get a second chance to learn it again.  I guess Ill get my second chance when it releases tho.

So far, fansite wise, I highly recomend this one for recipe lists. Very nice so far, even includes the rank of each synthesis.

http://www.ffxivrecipes.info/recipes.php?CraftID=1

And its growing in size daily.

• yoyoyoblakayoyoyoblaka Member Posts: 199

yeah unfortunately no crafting recipes, pretty annoying... It's like taking a step back in time... seems like such a small thing that should of been implemented... along with easy switch to different classes instead of having to make macros. 

Pretty much just a couple of the really annoying things in the game that could of been done much simpler. Instead you have to check on the internet to realize how to do half the stuff in this game. On top of that.. for me at least.. the game crashes any time I try and alt + tab. 

There is none right now.

You missed the point by half quoting my coment, what i ment its that there should be recipt list you have learned somewere in the near future.

Also what do you mean you will never get a second chance , theres no point i doubt this magic recipt book will be in before release.Is only 1 week and  few days more untill all you have done gets deleted anyways.So should´nt put to much effort on this imo.My guess is they still arent sure how to introduce it so their testing diferent aproaches.

Anyways back to sleeping , damn heat keeps me awake.(is 1am here btw D=)

• nicolette2nicolette2 Member UncommonPosts: 13

If you go back to the synthesize window and you put in a mat for crafting and hit next button (either using main hand or off hand) the next window will see what recipes you've learned so far that uses that specific item. To check on others just experiment with other mats.

Ie. If you finished a guildleves that gave you the "Bone Harpoon Butt Recipe" for goldsmithing , all you have to do is add a Bone chip in the material window, click main hand and the next stage will show that recipe.

Hope that helps....

Originally posted by nicolette2

If you go back to the synthesize window and you put in a mat for crafting and hit next button (either using main hand or off hand) the next window will see what recipes you've learned so far that uses that specific item. To check on others just experiment with other mats.

Ie. If you finished a guildleves that gave you the "Bone Harpoon Butt Recipe" for goldsmithing , all you have to do is add a Bone chip in the material window, click main hand and the next stage will show that recipe.

Hope that helps....

Ah there you go, the magic recipt book is in.Thanks for that , i barely play beta anymore , thins seems to be geting in faster than i tought.Maybe not a so bad release after all. we will see.Now back to bed for real.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

There is none right now.

You missed the point by half quoting my coment, what i ment its that there should be recipt list you have learned somewere in the near future.

Also what do you mean you will never get a second chance , theres no point i doubt this magic recipt book will be in before release.Is only 1 week and  few days more untill all you have done gets deleted anyways.So should´nt put to much effort on this imo.My guess is they still arent sure how to introduce it so their testing diferent aproaches.

Anyways back to sleeping , damn heat keeps me awake.(is 1am here btw D=)

What I meant when I said Id not get a 2nd chance to write down the recipe is that it only shows you the recipe in chat log when you learn it.  Since I failed to write it down the game wont show me the recipe again since it wont teach me it a 2nd time.  And yea beta is over in 2 weeks.  But likely it will be the same when game releases (no recipe book) so people need to know that when you complete a lev look in your chat window to see the recipe you just learned and write it down.

edit: then again I guess you could figure it out, if you know what one of the ingredients was.

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

If it weren't for online databases, I think I'll break out my own database software (perhaps learn whatevr Access equivilent comes with Open Office) just to track stuff like:

• Recipes for crafting I discovered firsthand.

• Prices of goods when sold to NPC vendors.  (NPC purchase price will be ~10x that, player price should be set somewhere betwen.)

Sure, it's tedious, but there's fun in that tedium.  After all, knowledge hard-sought is that much more valuable.

• dinh100dinh100 Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by geldonyetich

If it weren't for online databases, I think I'll break out my own database software (perhaps learn whatevr Access equivilent comes with Open Office) just to track stuff like:

• Prices of goods when sold to NPC vendors.  (NPC purchase price will be ~10x that, player price should be set somewhere betwen.)

Sure, it's tedious, but there's fun in that tedium.  After all, knowledge hard-sought is that much more valuable.

I love this kind of tedious work.

I'm actually working on a map of Limsa Lominsa with every tree spots and harvest spots. Knowing where i can get more willow or ash logs instead of random(with Arbor Call) helps alot :)

Originally posted by dinh100

Originally posted by geldonyetich

I love this kind of tedious work.

I'm actually working on a map of Limsa Lominsa with every tree spots and harvest spots. Knowing where i can get more willow or ash logs instead of random(with Arbor Call) helps alot :)

All I want to know is...what server you both are playing on...so I can pick a DIFFFERENT ONE!! My money!! get your own server to sell on!! One thing I can't stand is gamers willing to put in the same work I am in order to steal the market.

On second thought...maybe a Merchants Linkshell to corner the market together.......hmmm...NAH, deinftaley MY MONEY!

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Yes you can make stuff that you dont have the actual in game recipe for. For example I made a copper barbut without doing the leve to learn the recipe. Now what actual function does the recipe give you? I have no idea. Does it give you a better synth rate? maybe, maybe not. At the moment it seems rather pointless to have recipes in game, since you have to look them up online or remember them.

I am more worried about what i need to do to get guild marks, failing a syn thats several levels below me sucks, I assume its because of the books you need to buy with guild marks. like smelting.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• LastChimeLastChime Member Posts: 107

Yeah the skill books help but you don't NEED them (of course it's probably a much better experience with them lol), it's really hard to earn guild marks at any rate to buy them atm, we're still missing some big pieces of the puzzle imo.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

Just a word of warning, dont get overly ambitious making recipes you find online. I looked up how to make an axe and bought the mats, just to find out it wont let me synth (try again at a higher level)

I started my character as a crafter and I synth without crystals...just thought I'd add that.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• FortencFortenc Member Posts: 427

Originally posted by terroni

Just a word of warning, dont get overly ambitious making recipes you find online. I looked up how to make an axe and bought the mats, just to find out it wont let me synth (try again at a higher level)

I started my character as a crafter and I synth without crystals...just thought I'd add that.

How do you synth without crystals now?  Just starting as a Disciple of the Hand does that, or..?  o.O

Objectivity is delivered with a lack of personality made for the mainstream but never used for the mainstream.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

Might be because they are leves. Might be they just modify your chance to succeed, sort of like the recipe books that you don't need either.

Games down, can't check. =/

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

Levequests for crafts dont require crsytals, skill manuals, or related skills. Crafting outside of levequests do however, well crystals anyway. The requirement for manuals appears to not be enforced in open beta right now, but that appears to be because we also do not have access to the guilds needed to get those manuals. I'm going to bet these will be required after launch though.