Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everyone TERA is as EPIC as GW2, GW2 vs TERA seriously.

Comments

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647
    meanless pvp will get old fast thats why I choose GW2>Tera. 2 faction pvp also fail at the end thats why I choose GW2>SWTOR.
  • DittoDitto Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by hellixir

Originally posted by Otakun

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by Yarly

After watching your videos and comparing them to a Guild Wars 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE5ZE4SebTk&feature=player_embedded

That video was great! Sold me.

Dynamic Events = Public Quests, which fail unless you have people around. Probably the main reason to play GW2 when it first comes out cause the longer it goes the crappier those events will get when you have to solo all of them.

I think you associate Dynamic event with public quests too much, the only usuals quests in GW2 are those where you talk to X then Y NPC, everything else are implemented as dynamic event you get in a zone and you have to kill 5 bandits, 12 field worms or whatever.

The dynamic events are not just like the shatterer fight or the drake broodmother one, the majority of the dynamic will be done solo or with some people also wandering near you. Some event, generally one event that close the zone lore or are at the top of the dynamic events chain of that zone will recquire a lot of people.

It can be associated to any MMO with lots of solo quests and then some party /raids quests that involve some boss in the area but that you won't be hindered by the fact that you don't have a solid party or that people have nothing to gain to come and help kill it.

Let's say the shatterer spawn every 8 hours. You're in the zone bashing mobs, doing some DE solo a little before the dragon spawn you'll may want to do some DE link to the shatterer event to get those bunker, mortar while waiting for the main dish and when he comes, as a boss event that reward anyone who takes part in it, there will surely be most of levels 45-55 that will want some reward(chest, insignia that work as rune set, etc) or just to get some arrows, bolts thrown on the face of a boss.

If it's implemented the right way this could really work, you are not penalized because you don't have a solid party (you know how hard it is to sometime get a tank/healer to help for a quest that recquires a full party) but in fact you are rewarded if you help, not saying people will get out of their way from some higher zones or something but if the servers are correctly sized and the boss event with a reasonnable timer and reward those will attract enough people to be succesful and the other DE are just doable solo and should scale the more people are involved in. Again it's if it is implemented right...

^That !

GW2 seems to fix what is problematic in most MMO's

It will certainly have a lot less LF* in it and those who have a solid group/guild wont have problems finding additional players to do certain things since they will simply be atracted to the event itself.You gotta hand ti to the devs.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

I  did not say anything about one game being better than the other, I said TERA is as EPIC as GW2 and that it may be GW2 rival.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

meanless pvp will get old fast thats why I choose GW2>Tera. 2 faction pvp also fail at the end thats why I choose GW2>SWTOR.

Can you explain your definition of "meanless" pvp? As far as I know all MMORPGs up until now had pretty much meanless PvP excepta few sandbox ones. What is PvP like in GW2 that is going to be so much meaningful? Are you going to destroy a city that will be gone forever from the world? Is there such a thing as dynamic PvP aside from dynamic PvE?

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

Originally posted by stayontarget

Originally posted by endersshadow

GuildWars 2 isnt free and any decent mmo will take enough of my time that I dont want to play another mmo regardless of whether its pay to play or free.

GW2 is on my list for pvp reasons but I am not impressed with the videos or the graphics and I am not crazy about them getting rid of the trinity. Its not innovation if its bad.

And Tera is not even a consideration for me. Its asian, I fear it will be grindy and I am not crazy about the aiming system.

Don't kid yourself, GW2 might have a start up cost but it will still be a f2p game so it will attract the f2p crowd and everything that comes with that.  Making a game where everyone can heal and rez will most likely make the game easy mode, aka: jump in have fun zerging around with peeps you don't talk to and then get out and go solo.  GW1 was never considered a pve game so don't expect much to change with GW2, sure they added a few more twist to it but still by looking at what they have shown so far you can tell the mob Ai is weak at best.  Scaling content depending on the amount of people fighting will mean nothing but increasing the amount of HP the mob has.  GW1 was all about pvp and so will GW2, so try to keep that in mind when your steamrolling the pve content.

Don't get me wrong, even with all that the game will still / should be a good buy for your money. Just don't expect miracles.

Tera also concerns me in a few area's also.  It's focus so far has been nothing but pve and mostly group (5 man) pve.  It's pve content will be much more dynamic but this could also cause some problems also.  Pve encounter are going to ramp up quite high later on in the game and pug's are going to be a bitch because you can't carry someone that sucks at his class.  One or two bad players in your group will cause a wipe.  Healers & tanks that know what the fuck there doing will be in high demand so if a server is short on these classes it will cause a problem.  Encounter with Large boss mobs will also be an issue for melee classes because there field of view will be restricted due to the size of the mob and they might not see the mobs "tells" when a big attack comes....meaning that some sort of teamspeak will be needed and a range class will need to quarterback the flow of action......and don't get me started about pvp, crafting and political systems because they have not shown shit about those things yet......maybe after FGT3 they will.

cheers.....

You are always pissed at people for not reading up on Tera, but clearly you haven't read up on GW2. Take it from someone who has actually read both, and TOR and FF and everything else... Tera is not as good as you wish. GW2 is not as good as I wish, but PLEASE, read up before you spaz at someone for not likign your game.

Mob health scaling up? That right there says you don't understand the way the game scales. NO BOSS HAS HEALTH SCALING. :D

Before people even played the demo, ArenaNet came out and said everything was dumbed down so you could experience more of the land. That also shows you only read up on Tera, nothing else.

I will tell you the difference between what you prefer and what I prefer... to make it less agonizing for you.

You prefer the tank and spank method. Where A.I. plays by your rules, yes that is correct, they play by your rules. You have a large control of where the enemy is, and what he attacks. Of course, you don't completely control them, but at a much higher level than GW2.

GW2's PvE is based on adapting roles. Another thing you did not know. Each class does not perform several roles at once. Instead, each class is given some sort of swapping mechanic ( different for each class,) that let's them play different roles at DIFFERENT times. You are not the jack of all trades.

And then... once again... you conradict yourself. You claim that the game is not balanced around the healer class, that it is balanced around everyone being able to dodge. You claimed all of that. Then you say that healers and tanks are so important, that if you pick up a guy who isn't a master at healer, the group will fail. So then, which is it? Is the game balanced around having a healer or not? You can't just lie to yourself and hope it turns out good... well you can, but don't spit it out as facts.

Once again, I do not care if you like Tera, but just to help you make your arguments better; don't make stuff up about other games to make yours look better, and don't claim random things about your game to make it look nicer.

Though you may not read this... but that's the spirit of a Tera player, avoid conflict if you have no tank. Just kidding man. To each his own. :D

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by BlahTeeb

GW2's PvE is based on adapting roles. Another thing you did not know. Each class does not perform several roles at once. Instead, each class is given some sort of swapping mechanic ( different for each class,) that let's them play different roles at DIFFERENT times. You are not the jack of all trades.

You can do a multi role character but the question is how good that will work unless the entire group is that way.

The ability to have 2 weapon sets helps a lot with that, but I think most players will have a single role with some back up healing. Splitting up your role between several with so few skills can't be a great idea unless your group is say 5 necros.

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by BlahTeeb

You can do a multi role character but the question is how good that will work unless the entire group is that way.

The ability to have 2 weapon sets helps a lot with that, but I think most players will have a single role with some back up healing. Splitting up your role between several with so few skills can't be a great idea unless your group is say 5 necros.

Then you can multi-role in any pretty much any game, you would just be a dumbed down version of both.

I meant to be effective, you had to switch something, be it weapons, pets, attunement, shrouds... you had to be one or the other unless you dumbed something down, even if that dumbing down is slightly.

Originally posted by paterah

Can you explain your definition of "meanless" pvp? As far as I know all MMORPGs up until now had pretty much meanless PvP excepta few sandbox ones. What is PvP like in GW2 that is going to be so much meaningful? Are you going to destroy a city that will be gone forever from the world? Is there such a thing as dynamic PvP aside from dynamic PvE?

Well for starters, you can play GW2 by ONLY staying in the WvWvW battle. It has your general experience and loot. And then of course, if you are really serious, there are real world prizes. It ranges from throusands of dollars, to new computers, to a new mouse pad. So in general, PvP is still meaningless, it's just less meaningless. Unless you are aiming for the top dollar which went as high as $100,000 last I noticed.

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Worked for WoW, WAR, EQ 2, SWG, EQ and a slur of other games. I don't believe we know all to much on GW2 PvP, same goes for TOR but if its anything like WoW PvP will be far from meaningless.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Agreed.. Tera , GW2 and Vindicus promos all look great.. I just hope it's not all hype, with lil substance.. I'm looking for a rpg to play, not just some instancefest..

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

Originally posted by slim26

Here is an EPIC combat gameplay of a Mage, Priest and a Duel Sword Warrior of ownage! the action in this video is the same as GW2 action O.O but but TERA looks much bigger.

You can watch the first beautiful video of this new type of warrior but in the second video have more kick ass action.  THIS IS GW2 RIVAL!

Vid 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f08VAro2zcI&feature=related

Vid 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBA_oL7GzKU&feature=related

TERA has won my vote but GW2 as well gahhhhhhh!

Fantasy setting - Check 

Races - Check 

Furries - Check 

Crazy Giant oversize Weapons/Armor - Check 

no thanks. 

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Haegemon

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by slim26

EPIC combat gameplay of a Mage, Priest and a Duel Sword Warrior

This is where you lost my interest. Honestly, how many is enough for this style/setting in an MMO?!

^^ This

Played GW2, TERA, Rift and SWTOR at PAX last weekend. TERA did have the most entertaining combat, but suffers from being a high-fantasy game. Probably the worst thing about it is the setting/theme just because MMO's are oversaturated with fantasy games. Hell, even if TERA was more steampunk, it'd be cooler, but right now, it's an interesting combat system set in the fantasy realm of Generica.

And the GW2 "dynamic events" looks more like "Cycling public quests" where each PQ node has 4-5 events that will fire off in a linear order, so if you stick around one place long enough, you'll do the same event again. Yes, it will let players impact what the next quest offered from the node is, but it's not some highly-complex, deep form of world/story/regional change. At some point, it all went back to how it started.

This argument by people like you, make me sick!!! You QQ simply because the game is Fantasy Genre. WTF?

Yeah, how dare we have opinions!!! Dude, calm down and take a TUMS if you really get sick reading peoples opinions when they differ from yours - maybe BLOGs are more your speed where you can control what views get posted?! You're the one raging bro, not us.

Truthfully, I'm just sick of every epic sounding MMO having swords and elfs as the only f'ing theme. How difficult is it to try something different?! With this many of one genre, too many will fail...and that helps no one!

• PerfectLifePerfectLife Member Posts: 54

Tera is to cake as GW2 is to ice-cream, and they go good together. (If you're willing to eat ice-cream sold in stores run by evil koreans who use your money to buy doomsday devices)

• CrocolixCrocolix Member Posts: 221

thats realy EPIC

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Originally posted by Crocolix

thats realy EPIC

Not any more EPIC than this :P

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• PywattPywatt Member Posts: 11

It will be so much fun when the "hardcore" "PvPers" from all the D&D style MMOs comes to GW2 to own some "casual noobs" only to be smacked in the face by the realization that they wont stand a chance in the competative PvP.

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

I'm very excited for both these games.  I'm sure that my hopes will be dashed before the games even come out, however.  That seems to be how MMOs work.  Hype-hype-hype-promises-hype-expectations-disappointment.

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

Looks too much like an Asian grinder to me. I like GW2's approach and especially their artisterly graphics style. When i look at those Tera pics, they look like animated toys on screen. Asian MMO's always go over the top in my opinion.

Archlinux ftw

• vilereaver41vilereaver41 Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

It looks just as great or maybe even better then GW2's combat system...  But there is so much more to GW2 then just their combat system.......

- Dynamic events..

-Personal storry quests

-WvWvW PvP

-Competitive PvP with real matches for real prices

-No monthly subs

Just to name a few things that peeked my ineterest, whatthings would make Tera compete with all the above?

gw2 battle system points

-able to dodge when a arrow/sword is heading to slash or towards you by strafing to the side

-when fighting certain monsters your able to cut limbs off and use them as weapons such as tree bosses/monsters

-combined combat an elementalist makes a firewall a ranger  shoots arrows those 2 skills combine creating flame arrows

-spells are more realistic a guardian creats a shield a fireball hits it and is absorbed in a viewtiful way

those are just 4 things i listed there are many more iv read about tera and it is just a big grind the only people it will apply to are the asian countrys please dont just write without doing reasearch

• vilereaver41vilereaver41 Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by Novusod

Originally posted by jesendman

Wow! Now I can't choose which I will play. If it's gonna be Tera, GW 2 or Vindictus. Thanks for showing this.

These are the big 3 next generation MMOs to look out for. I plan on playing all 3 at some point.

Yeah there are other games coming out such as Rift, SWTOR, FFXIV, etc but these are just new skinnings of the last generation of games.

you do know that gw1 had more players then ff11 and that ffxiv has allready failed rift offers repetative rift fighting and for swtor 200mil$ on junk

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528

Originally posted by vilereaver41

Originally posted by Novusod

Originally posted by jesendman

Wow! Now I can't choose which I will play. If it's gonna be Tera, GW 2 or Vindictus. Thanks for showing this.

These are the big 3 next generation MMOs to look out for. I plan on playing all 3 at some point.

Yeah there are other games coming out such as Rift, SWTOR, FFXIV, etc but these are just new skinnings of the last generation of games.

you do know that gw1 had more players then ff11 and that ffxiv has allready failed rift offers repetative rift fighting and for swtor 200mil$ on junk

I bet you failled your English.

• LuongLuong Member Posts: 3

Played the TERA Korean OBT. For those worried about grind, the leveling is kind of too easy. Just a bit harder than WoW. There are PLENTY of quests, but I will admit they are the generic kill x mobs, loot x stuff quests. Here's a great review on TERA for those who want to know a little bit more: http://steparu.com/reviews/mmo-rpg-reviews/594-tera-online-review

As for my opinion, I am definitely going to play TERA. It was a lot of fun even though I barely knew what I was doing. GW2 looks good too, but I just don't know enough about the game. Nothing I've seen about GW2 has impressed me at all.

• babacbabac Member UncommonPosts: 179

Comparing this "China grind Game" with Guild Wars is an insult.

• baldernonobaldernono Member UncommonPosts: 96

You are comparing a played game (TERA) and a buzzed game(GW2). Analyse won't be objectives lol

One thing is true : Both games are in the top 5 blockbuster mmorpg in my opinion