Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vaporware.

Really, do I need to debate that?

Comments

• AristidesAristides Member Posts: 172

Well, I ordinarily would have said you'd need to argue about that with all the people that have played it hands-on at various tradeshows, and who were in the F&F pre-beta.

But after they "started over" last year and tossed away however many years of dev work, I'm also a lot less sure we'll ever see this product.  My worries, though, are much more about their marketing and business plans, and timing, than about whether they ever made or can make a game:  Friends of mine are playing BP now.  It's not good to be second to market in this world unless your game is superior... and we don't have a lot of evidence of that yet.  image

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

Ya actually, you do need to debate it.

The game was only announced as being in development in 2007. It's already gone into F&F testing once already. They actually listened to their testers when it became clear that just updating JGC and adding to it wasn't working. They  hired some rather high profile people on (if you've been following mmos for awhile anyway). They've come out of a short silent period and started releasing new in-game footage, and are slowly releasing info about the new version of the game. They've added a PR person to post regularily on the forums along with the other mods, and just announced that their website and forums are getting a complete overhaul, including homes for the two factions that haven't had anything about them as of yet.

It doesn't sound like vapourware at all to me.

It sounds like a smallish company that's trying to be very careful.  Maybe the game will eventually suck, I dunno, but at least they're listening to their testers, are willing to make tough decisions that delay the game's release if they have to, and are being honest to those following the game. To me those are nothing but positives.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

What like Darkfall was vapourware?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO5Crhq68pM

check it out, that really looks like vapourware, yup sure does.. /sarcasm off

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by MrNecron

Really, do I need to debate that?

I don't have much to add on this topic but would like to start a campaign to make the term "vaporware" the number one "mmo phrase" overtaking the top spot from the "wow killer"

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Ugh, way to bump a garbage thread. :(

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Well, someone mentioned it was in development around 2007.  We are closing in on 2011 very fast.  4 years???

Come on, that is allot of time, money and effort to produce an iffy game. 

If this goes FtP, I am not playing it, but that is me.  I would rather have a monthly charge and have the ability to have access to everything. 

Miner Wars 2081 is in alpha and is taking preorders already for 70% off.  Not going to touch that one either till it goes gold and has a few reviews, but it does look sweeeet.  They are even showing some cockpits which JGE wont even give us a glimpse of theirs

Thanks for the tip on Miner Wars 2081.  Not sure yet where it'll fall in terms of genre, but any space game with enough sim in it that you pilot your ship is interesting to me.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by outfctrl

Well, someone mentioned it was in development around 2007.  We are closing in on 2011 very fast.  4 years???

If this goes FtP, I am not playing it, but that is me.  I would rather have a monthly charge and have the ability to have access to everything. 

Miner Wars 2081 is in alpha and is taking preorders already for 70% off.  Not going to touch that one either till it goes gold and has a few reviews, but it does look sweeeet.  They are even showing some cockpits which JGE wont even give us a glimpse of theirs

I'm not sure I could even consider a game that is willing to accept preorders during alpha.  That goes BEYOND irresponsible and screams lack of investment capital.

Far as JGE goes, they explained their situation a few months back.  They went back to the drawing board.  Could end up vaparware, could end up the next TR(too much dev expense in comparison to quality/quantity of game content/features), or it could be great.  Always had my doubts about making a twitch fighter game into an MMO.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by Robsolf

I'm not sure I could even consider a game that is willing to accept preorders during alpha.  That goes BEYOND irresponsible and screams lack of investment capital.

Far as JGE goes, they explained their situation a few months back.  They went back to the drawing board.  Could end up vaparware, could end up the next TR(too much dev expense in comparison to quality/quantity of game content/features), or it could be great.  Always had my doubts about making a twitch fighter game into an MMO.

I think the game is done . They move the forums .  Yes , they made that announcement , released a couple of promtional vids that were made just before the black out . Everything they've done screams "we've no money  " ! I suspect when the ecomony dumped , they lost their investors. They've been trying to get some since, with little to no success.  Gazillion keeps changing forum moderators like most people change their minds, pretty frequently. It had potential , but no money , no game .  

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

The game has gone into warehouse mode untill they get more money to work on it.

• mehoronmehoron Member Posts: 146

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

I think the game is done . They move the forums .  Yes , they made that announcement , released a couple of promtional vids that were made just before the black out . Everything they've done screams "we've no money  " ! I suspect when the ecomony dumped , they lost their investors. They've been trying to get some since, with little to no success.  Gazillion keeps changing forum moderators like most people change their minds, pretty frequently. It had potential , but no money , no game .  

I'm beginning to believe this forum is full of trolls. Literally!

First off Codemasters Online is publishing JGE and providing funding, if you actually visited their page you would see that plain as day.

Secondly and to address another issue if you thought you could. YOU CANNOT PREORDER JGE YET. WTF is wrong with you? It says clear as day Pre-Order COMING SOON!

Do you people actually even look at anything before you post out of your asses?

This is a constant trend on this forum, ignorant morons, getting more ignorant morons into a tiff over BS information they come up with out of nowhere.

It's happened on this forum with LOTRO, DF, EVE, MO, and now even JGE.

How about you get off the forum and actually go do a bit of research before putting words on the forum. Idiots like you should be banned for spouting nonsense and trolling bullshit all over the forums.

Originally posted by mehoron

First off Codemasters Online is publishing JGE and providing funding, if you actually visited their page you would see that plain as day.

Secondly and to address another issue if you thought you could. YOU CANNOT PREORDER JGE YET. WTF is wrong with you? It says clear as day Pre-Order COMING SOON!

This is a constant trend on this forum, ignorant morons, getting more ignorant morons into a tiff over BS information they come up with out of nowhere.

How about you get off the forum and actually go do a bit of research before putting words on the forum. Idiots like you should be banned for spouting nonsense and trolling bullshit all over the forums.

Wow , I must advise you to follow your own advice. JGE is a split publish . Codemasters is publishing for the EU and Gazillion for NA. This rant especially being factually incorrect , does you no favors. Codemasters controls the EU boards and Gazillion the NA forums, and the mods on the NA forums have stated as much .

Wow , I must advise you to follow your own advice. JGE is a split publish . Codemasters is publishing for the EU and Gazillion for NA. This rant especially being factually incorrect , does you no favors. Codemasters controls the EU boards and Gazillion the NA forums, and the mods on the NA forums have stated as much .

It's still not split in funding at all! That's my point! Codemasters just happens to be a big backer. It all gets funneled into the same one dev team whether it's from Codemasters or Gazillion, now you're just trolling over semantics either that or trying to be a smart ass.

I don't give a rats ass about who controls what boards, I care about pointing out your idea that they have no money, which you've just proven through your own trolling and uninformed rant to be false.

My point was that they have funding and A large backer (Gazillion is not a large backer). So saying they have no money, investors, or funding is false.

Saying they are taking preorders is false, and that was my original statement. You've simple added ammo to my original argument, so thanks!

Last I saw Gazillion and Codemasters were different companies , not connected. I guess that's semantics as well ?  But , hey !  Why let semantics get in the way of you being right and , everyone else being a troll?  It's quite alright for you to point out factual errors to someone else , but if it happens to you . You go off calling people names.

http://www.gazillion.com/wp-content/themes/gazillion/flashservices/printpress.php?pressId=140

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetDevil#Acquisition_by_Gazillion_Entertainment

You should stop now , while you have a modicum of respectiblity.

Last I saw Gazillion and Codemasters were different companies , not connected. I guess that's semantics as well ?  But , hey !  Why let semantics get in the way of you being right and , everyone else being a troll?  It's quite alright for you to point out factual errors to someone else , but if it happens to you . You go off calling people names.

http://www.gazillion.com/wp-content/themes/gazillion/flashservices/printpress.php?pressId=140

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetDevil#Acquisition_by_Gazillion_Entertainment

You should stop now , while you have a modicum of respectiblity.

Really they are different companies? I had no idea! Thank you for clearing that up /sarcasm.

Doesn't change the fact that BOTH companies are investing in the ONE project. As has been my point now TWICE.

Net Devil gets money from both. I don't care about the production companies separately. The BOTH invest in the company.

You saying that the game has no investors was incorrect and Codemasters puts money into the game still. Which was my original point, you have done nothing to say that that is wrong or incorrect.

The fact that you just stated that Gazillion ALSO invests in Netdevils product, just supports my argument against you and that Jumpgate does in fact have investors and financial backing.

Interesting news : 

OhSnap

NetDevil

December 03, 2010 03:27PM

Hello Everyone,

Passing the news along as some of you may have heard by now that Scott Brown has decided to move on from NetDevil…

Gazillion would like to thank Scott Brown for his tremendous contributions to the company’s success. Scott has been an invaluable member of the Gazillion team; building NetDevil over the past decade into the respected studio it is today. With a talented team at NetDevil in place, the studio is poised for a bright future. We once again thank Scott for his contributions and we wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 03:27PM by OhSnap.

Some serious pronblems at this game.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

hello mr troll, might i suggest you get off your high donkey before the donkey looks more mature then you do. 

where are you getting JGE is taking pre-orders??? the whole comment about preorders was about that other game "mine wars" if you actually bothered to read the post you quoted before you got your panties in a twist... you would see they were comparing them, not saying JGE is doing alpha pre-orders...

but good job giving JGE more bad post/treads that can be picked apart and trolled with... you just attracted bears with your honey ...

• PrecursorPrecursor Member UncommonPosts: 150

Well, now that they got rid of Scott they can do all the things that the players really want. Such as:

pointless screenshots on tuesday

new flashy website borders

pumkin carving contests

unclickable coming soon(tm) tabs

nazi-like forum moderation

o wait.....

:P

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Darkfall and WoW both took 5-6 years to develop, and Jumpgate already has one game under their belt, why would this one be iffy?

Well, the game was in development before it was announced in 2007.

Maybe iffy because different people are doing this Jumpgate than did the original one?  Or that could be a good thing.  The original game was a pretty simple spaceflight sim, not much of an RPG.

This game is now in litigation , which basically means that it'll only see the light of day once the lawsuits are settled.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/297/view/forums/thread/299658/Codemasters-sues-Netdevil.html

With that said :

'All hope abandon ye who enter here'

• tron21369tron21369 Member Posts: 73

minor wars   that give a new meaning of "dont get cought between a rock and hard place " )

• MrNecronMrNecron Member Posts: 15

Oh wow look at that, JGE agrees to sell code and rights to korean based 'Hangames'.

http://us.jumpgateevolution.com/forums/read.php?5,4551,page=1

Either I'm pyschic or some people are just gullible. Honestly people,

VAPORWARE

Now get on with your lives.

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616

Oh wow look at that, JGE agrees to sell code and rights to korean based 'Hangames'.

VAPORWARE

Or that was a troll, as is clearly pointed out by subsequent posters...

• MrNecronMrNecron Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Harabeck

VAPORWARE

Or that was a troll, as is clearly pointed out by subsequent posters...

Jumpgate Evolution just took down thier forums. LOL! Are you going to keep living in a dream world?