Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AOC performance defies logic

Comments

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Originally posted by Gdemami

Ah, and no specifics given out yet apart from the surprise - ATI card. What an epic troll...

It is the ATI drivers having issues with the rest of the world, not the other way round. Some people like forgetting how famous the quality of ATI drivers is...

So yeah, there are indeed some shite softwere engineers around but I bet there are more of them in this thread than sitting at Funcom.

I totally agree with you, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it an epic troll haha. It was pretty obvious by their first post the intent of the thread. It was a nice try though. To bad most of the time post history gives away more than anything else.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

Ah, and no specifics given out yet apart from the surprise - ATI card. What an epic troll...

It is the ATI drivers having issues with the rest of the world, not the other way round. Some people like forgetting how famous the quality of ATI drivers is...

So yeah, there are indeed some shite softwere engineers around but I bet there are more of them in this thread than sitting at Funcom.

If the ATI drivers are having issues with the rest of the world, it seems odd they are not causing issues in anything but AOC.  Let me guess AOC has been optimised to perform well with ATI cards, it's just ATI/AMD that can't release a decent driver. 

Have you noticed the issue never points at Funcom, it's the hardware, it's the drivers, it's the CPU, it's the OS, everybody is at fault apart from the people that code the application.  Yet so many other companies manage to do a decent job - it's a case of a good workman never blames his tools.  AOC it's always the tools never the workman, sorry but I am past the point of believing that. After all so many things are broke in AOC, that my finger points squarely at the workmen. 

Yes I can compensate for bad workmanship by switching to a 64bit OS, upping memory, improving the overall spec of my machine - all of which probably hides the memory leaks that are in AOC. I can download all the third party apps that specifically address performance related issues.  I can buy a new machine, I can do a lot to change the performance of AOC.  But why don't Funcom pull their finger out and address performance?  This is an area that could put off a lot of perspective customers.   Most people aren't willing to make a career out of playing with settings to get optimal performance or upgrading their OS for the sake of one game.

If you client defies logic, in other words performance doesn't improve when you switch intensive setings off or you switch everything to low.  Then people will just assume the game is screwed and go on their merry little way.  Especially if every other game in their library runs without issue.

• JohnsavantJohnsavant Member Posts: 106

Yeah, the usual argument is like this - if AoC runs poorly on 2gb ram, get 4gb; 32 bit Win ain't enought? Get 64 bit; ATI having issues? Get Nvidia; Dual Core ain't enought? Get Quad. Oh, and if you still see lagspikes ... it's your ISP! I remember years ago how eager-beaver fanboys "circumvented" the problem of memory leaks by getting topnotch machines that an average MMO player cannot possibly afford (and which exceeds the hardware-requirement specs) and later tell the rest of the populace that it's their fault AoC runs poorly.

Same shitty and worthless argument coming from both fanboys and the company since launch - it's all your fault!

Yet, as the saying goes, it moves, meaning other games perform just fine.

As if there is any surprise in a subscription-based game which released with less content than an average single player RPG that its performance defies logic. The whole Funcom management defies logic - "let's first focus on companion pets and fish in the water and 2 years later start revamping the core engine, hurr durr"

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Originally posted by fallenlords 

Yes I can compensate for bad workmanship by switching to a 64bit OS, upping memory,

As I understand it from our developers, a 64-bit Os does nothing for a 32-bit client, which covers most games. The only game I've known to have both a 32-bit and a 64-bit *.EXE is Crysis.

Even if you have a box with a 64-bit OS and more that 3 Gigs of RAM, the 32-bit client is still every bit as limited as if it were on a 32-bit OS.

We have 32-bit and 64-bit versions of appls such as 3D Studio Max, Photoshop, Mental Ray, etc to get around this very limitation.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

If the ATI drivers are having issues with the rest of the world, it seems odd they are not causing issues in anything but AOC.  Let me guess AOC has been optimised to perform well with ATI cards, it's just ATI/AMD that can't release a decent driver. 

You got it right here, just your logic defies you as usual and you are mistaken causation for consequence.

If ATI could deliver proper drivers, no optimalizations would be needed. You don't see many optimalizations for Nvidia cards...one would wonder why :rolls eyes:

Originally posted by spankybus

Yes I can compensate for bad workmanship by switching to a 64bit OS, upping memory,

As I understand it from our developers, a 64-bit Os does nothing for a 32-bit client, which covers most games. The only game I've known to have both a 32-bit and a 64-bit *.EXE is Crysis.

Even if you have a box with a 64-bit OS and more that 3 Gigs of RAM, the 32-bit client is still every bit as limited as if it were on a 32-bit OS.

We have 32-bit and 64-bit versions of appls such as 3D Studio Max, Photoshop, Mental Ray, etc to get around this very limitation.

You are probably right, I think a 64 bit OS compensates for the memory problems by allowing more than the 3gb limit.

As far as I understood as well FPS is more related to gpu/cpu combined than to do with memory. But I may be wrong I am not a gaming expert. 

My understanding of physcial memory was it fills up and then it pages, hence the requirement for a pagefile.  If it pages it's slower due to access speeds.  I have readyboost enabled as well with a further 8gb of flash storage, I understand that works now in Windows7 32bit so it should make more memory available from what I have read. You can up that to a max 256gb.  But then if the limit of the OS is 3gb does it use that as a sort of pagefile or not at all? Or can that only be used with 64bit OS? I get activity on the flash drives during gaming so I assume they are having some sort of influence.  Perhaps somebody could clarify whether readyboost makes a difference or not with a 32bit OS.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Sevenwind

Hard to argue any points you have because you didn't post your old video card compared to your new one. I would have to say it is your machine. I previously upgraded from an ATI HD3800 X2 to a HD 5700 card and it was the low end kind and my performance doubled. Both in DX9 and DX10. Almost all of the settings are on max, I think shadows are put to low and a few others.

I'm running Win7 x64 8 gigs of RAM. No tweaks or 3rd party apps. Previous card would not run AoC in DX10 it ran DX9 full settings just fine. DX10 it would stutter, crawl and lock up.

Even if it is his machine Funcom and AOC specifically have this problem far too often, from launch til now the boards are constantly full of people who seem to be having performance issues with high end systems.  when so many other games realize they can't play the margins why does Funcom have so much of a problem doing it take this into account with the numerous bugs and broken systems and I'd have to say even if it was his system that doesn't absolve Funcom from designing a game most people can't get to work reasonably.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

You got it right here, just your logic defies you as usual and you are mistaken causation for consequence.

If ATI could deliver proper drivers, no optimalizations would be needed. You don't see many optimalizations for Nvidia cards...one would wonder why :rolls eyes:

Perhaps the people from Funcom can teach them how to write a proper driver. Then the people from ATI can teach the people at Funcom how to code so that your beard doesn't turn blond when you change area. Or perhaps how to write a decent patcher that doesn't download gigabytes of useless junk when it prompts for a resource check.

Unless you count AOC, I have never had any issues with my ATI cards.  Everything just works, so your argument about ATI cards is lost on me.  Now I did have a Nvidia card that melted - part of the reason I switched to ATI. 

It's probably worth pointing out as well that the bulk of graphics cards that are sold are budget cards. So if your app is aimed at high end cards you have just straight away lost a market.  Think people like Blizzard seem to realise that as they get things like WoW to run on a 48k Spectrum.

Perhaps the people from Funcom can teach them how to write a proper driver. Then the people from ATI can teach the people at Funcom how to code so that your beard doesn't turn blond when you change area. Or perhaps how to write a decent patcher that doesn't download gigabytes of useless junk when it prompts for a resource check.

Or perhaps you could refrain from trolling game forums...That would solve all the code issues.

I am saying AOC performance defies logic - you are passing the buck trying to blame ATI, a common ruse when AOC performance is discussed. 

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I have a nice brand new shinny graphics card with double the memory of the previous one.  Logic would kind of dictate, at least to my mind, that I should see improved performance in AOC.

Double the memory NEVER means double the speed!

Speed depends on speed of GPU and speed of Video-RAM and not on the amount of Video-RAM, as long its enough to handle the graphic data.

So from 512 MB to 1 Gig and to 2 Gig there is no 2x and no 4x speed improvement!

You can even buy a new graphic card that has double the memory but is NOT as fast as the previous one bcs the GPU and/or the Video-RAM  may be slower.

Without the spec of the card its impossible to say what can happen...

Regarding to 64-Bit OS my experience is that 4 Gigs of RAM or more lead to an smoother experience and faster loading times.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

Originally posted by Blutmaul

I have a nice brand new shinny graphics card with double the memory of the previous one.  Logic would kind of dictate, at least to my mind, that I should see improved performance in AOC.

Double the memory NEVER means double the speed!

Speed depends on speed of GPU and speed of Video-RAM and not on the amount of Video-RAM, as long its enough to handle the graphic data.

So from 512 MB to 1 Gig and to 2 Gig there is no 2x and no 4x speed improvement!

You can even buy a new graphic card that has double the memory but is NOT as fast as the previous one bcs the GPU and/or the Video-RAM  may be slower.

Regarding to 64-Bit OS my experience is that 4 Gigs of RAM or more lead to an smoother experience and faster loading times.

Not expecting double the speed just improved performance out of the box.  GPU is better and memory is double but the same speed. As mentioned everything I have tested so far I have seen an increase in performance, AOC was the only game that performed worse than before.  Though I can get good performance in windowed mode now, on high settings with everything maxed out. Though if I switch off shadows, world particles, grass - my performance doesn't change up or down.  Thats why the performance defies logic to my mind. 

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Of course he is not giving out his spec, frame rate and setting. Someone could actually pop up then with the same card and point out the problem is on his end...that would ruin all his trolling effort.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Of course he is not giving out his spec, frame rate and setting. Someone could actually pop up then with the same card and point out the problem is on his end...that would ruin all his trolling effort.

Well, AoCs Dx 10 performance could be better. Dx 9 is working great but I get a little lag when I max out Dx 10 myself (480 GTX, 3.2Ghx x6, 8 Gb ram). If his "shiny new card" is a mid range card I am sure he performs badly in DX 10 with high setting.

So OP: Try to turn Dx 10 off. If you have it off and actually have a good system you should have a look on optimizing it, and I mean windows, not AoC. Perhaps you run Vista?

Funcom still really havn't perfected Dx 10 yet and it needs to be fixed. But besides that is AoC actually performing pretty well considering the poly count and effects they are using. At launch things were a bit different of course, not to mention during the beta. ;)

Exactly. What have you got to hide by posting your specs? Nothing. Every game on these forums has issues with people. Look at their forums in the support section. Just because you claim every other game works fine doesn't mean it will for everyone else with similar equipment. And some meet or exceed requirments to run that game.

That would be alright then, if one person popped up it would lay the issues directly at my feet. Explain why switching off shadows in AOC has no effect on performance, why high settings work better than low. It might even explain the Universe and the meaning of life. I really wouldn't want that to happen.  As we have already established the issue has nothing to do with Funcom, they are in the clear.  Though it might be Microsoft, Intel, AMD/ATI and any number of other companies but not the people that  produce the game. 

Game runs fine in Windowed mode 50fps, already mentioned that.  So workaround is in effect, but it still doesn't explain why I get between 9 - 12fps in Full Screen mode on a low res. Why changing options doesn't  impact on the games performance like it does in 'normal' games.  Or are you saying that you see expected performance changes when tweaking options in AOC. Me I have been through 3 machines and 3 graphics card and AOC performance defies logic every time.

Have you noticed the issue never points at Funcom, it's the hardware, it's the drivers, it's the CPU, it's the OS, everybody is at fault apart from the people that code the application.  Yet so many other companies manage to do a decent job - it's a case of a good workman never blames his tools.  AOC it's always the tools never the workman, sorry but I am past the point of believing that. After all so many things are broke in AOC, that my finger points squarely at the workmen. 

If it was always Funcoms fault 1000s of people would be on their forums, other forums, saying they can't get AoC to work. That's not the case. They have people post  problems but not by the 1000s. This game would dry up and blow away in the dust if it was always Funcoms fault.

One of two things. 1. It's your computer. When 1000s of other people all around the world are able to log into AOC and play it just fine.  2. You're trolling

I vote for the latter.

That would be alright then, if one person popped up it would lay the issues directly at my feet. Explain why switching off shadows in AOC has no effect on performance, why high settings work better than low. It might even explain the Universe and the meaning of life. I really wouldn't want that to happen.  As we have already established the issue has nothing to do with Funcom, they are in the clear.  Though it might be Microsoft, Intel, AMD/ATI and any number of other companies but not the people that  produce the game. 

Game runs fine in Windowed mode 50fps, already mentioned that.  So workaround is in effect, but it still doesn't explain why I get between 9 - 12fps in Full Screen mode on a low res. Why changing options doesn't  impact on the games performance like it does in 'normal' games.  Or are you saying that you see expected performance changes when tweaking options in AOC. Me I have been through 3 machines and 3 graphics card and AOC performance defies logic every time.

Quit dodging the obvious question. Post your specs so people can better help you.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

I can only say the very best about AoC.

It was fun to play, it was stable and it looks pretty good.

• VercinVercin Member UncommonPosts: 353

I had a guy come in my computer shop once and tell me his monitor was black everytime his machine turned on but the machines was powering on. So I asked him if he had a second monitor at home to which he replied "Yes, I do". So I suggested he try using that second monitor on the machine instead of the primary one and see if there was any display.

His response "I don't want to try that because I don't think that is the problem."

So basically you have been offered many suggestions but you refuse to try anything like posting specs. So there really is no solution.

Also one thing I noticed is in your very first post you say "I have a nice brand new shinny graphics card with double the memory of the previous one". In a latter post you say that the previous card was a 128mb card that ran Conan just fine.....

Are you Running a 256mb card with conan and actually expecting to see anything at all?

Once more into the breach my friend!

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Vercin

I had a guy come in my computer shop once and tell me his monitor was black everytime his machine turned on but the machines was powering on. So I asked him if he had a second monitor at home to which he replied "Yes, I do". So I suggested he try using that second monitor on the machine instead of the primary one and see if there was any display.

His response "I don't want to try that because I don't think that is the problem."

So basically you have been offered many suggestions but you refuse to try anything like posting specs. So there really is no solution.

Also one thing I noticed is in your very first post you say "I have a nice brand new shinny graphics card with double the memory of the previous one". In a latter post you say that the previous card was a 128mb card that ran Conan just fine.....

Are you Running a 256mb card with conan and actually expecting to see anything at all?

Once more into the breach my friend!

Well I hope you atleast gave him what he wanted, a big fat repair bill.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I have a nice brand new shinny graphics card with double the memory of the previous one.  Logic would kind of dictate, at least to my mind, that I should see improved performance in AOC.  For the second time running now I have upgraded my graphics card, doubling the amount of memory/better overall card - to find AOC runs worse than before.  This was a fresh client install, no tweaks, no third party apps and AOC runs like a dead dog. Gone from an average of 25fps to between 9 - 12. Same settings, same res, same DX9 client.

In contrast, for the second time now, every other game performs better.  Some games even automatically detect the change in hardware and tweak my settings for optimal performance for the new card.   So why I see no performance boost in AOC, instead a performance drop, baffles any sort of logic I have.

I could spend some 'time' tweaking AOC and loading third party apps to address the multiple known performance issues. But I can't be bothered, you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get a game to perform 'reasonably' well.  This is one of the reasons AOC and Funcom fail so badly, performance is almost an afterthought. 

I have a e8500, window xp , 4 gigs of ram, 7200 rpm hd, ati 4870-512 and have no prob with AOC, the games i have prob with are Vanguard and Lotro ;in the form of hitching, but for some reason AOC looks at my system and says i have the right components to play smoothly 

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

8 gigs of RAM, dual 5870s, AMD 6-Core 3.2Ghz processor 2, 1 TB HDs in Raid configuration without any overclocks, and outside of Tortage I would get a framerate as low as 18-25 in certain areas, coupled with the fact that the game would constantly freeze my entire PC, forcing me to reboot my system.

It's a shame that all the really good looking MMORPGs out there perform like such dogs on so many PCs.  Maybe a developer will come along and develop a game without cartoony graphics that actually has an optimzed graphics engine, but seeing as FFXIV (a game that is being released about 4 months from 2011) doesn't even have out-of-the-box support for SLI and Crossfire, I have my doubts.

If it was always Funcoms fault 1000s of people would be on their forums, other forums, saying they can't get AoC to work. That's not the case. They have people post  problems but not by the 1000s. This game would dry up and blow away in the dust if it was always Funcoms fault.

One of two things. 1. It's your computer. When 1000s of other people all around the world are able to log into AOC and play it just fine.  2. You're trolling

I vote for the latter.

People find workarounds, how many went 64bit OS after the expansion? Quite a few as I seem to recall,  because the client was crashing with 'out of memory'.  Then there was a hack to set the 'increaseuserva' value to make more memory available.  Most performance issues in AOC are diagnosed or worked around by the users.  AOCQS addresses a few 'known' performance issues.   The CPU affinity issue I don't know the status on that being banned from the forums, but at one point AOCQS no longer enabled you to see the affinity. There there was user debate on if it did matter with regards to performance or not.  One person has been campaigning about that sole issue for a considerable amount of time.  Even high spec users were noticing a dip in performance since the expansion.

You wouldn't get 1000's of users on the forum, most people don't bother according to the GD.  One of the reasons he implemented offline leveling, for the silent majority.  So they could level while they addressed performance issues image

I vote for the latter.

People find workarounds, how many went 64bit OS after the expansion? Quite a few as I seem to recall,  because the client was crashing with 'out of memory'.  Then there was a hack to set the 'increaseuserva' value to make more memory available.  Most performance issues in AOC are diagnosed or worked around by the users.  AOCQS addresses a few 'known' performance issues.   The CPU affinity issue I don't know the status on that being banned from the forums, but at one point AOCQS no longer enabled you to see the affinity. There there was user debate on if it did matter with regards to performance or not.  One person has been campaigning about that sole issue for a considerable amount of time.  Even high spec users were noticing a dip in performance since the expansion.

You wouldn't get 1000's of users on the forum, most people don't bother according to the GD.  One of the reasons he implemented offline leveling, for the silent majority.  So they could level while they addressed performance issues image

All that text and you could have posted your specs. Amazing.

This discussion has been closed.