Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Limited Species to Human-like because of Story.

Comments

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by agaga'A deepend story component'? LOL

I strongly recommend you avoid using the marketing jargon Bioware is employing. 'A deepend story component' is just PR speak for 'You must follow our path through this game by making one of three choices. Good, Bad, Neutral'.

Storytelling absolutely does NOT follow the same basic structures. A film does net tell a story in the same way a book does for god's sake. For a start, a film is moving media within a finite timeframe... There are so many more obvious differences, it's almost pointless to list them all but, for goodness sake, think!

I strongly recommend you finding another MMO game, because you start to sound like a sourpuss who can't find any joy anymore in MMO games and therefore starts to pick on MMO's they dislike. Not saying that you are, it's just how you sound the way you state your arguments.

You didn't like Bioware games. Fine. You think SWG Pre-NGE was heaven even where a lot of people were more 'meh' towards it. Ok, fine. You passionately dislike Bioware's direction of adding the story component in their game.

Ehm... in any stage of this process the last few months, did you ever wonder that SW:TOR might not be the game for you?

Also, did you ever think about it that other people, MMO gamers, don't have the same taste as you, and that some of them did like Bioware games or more story instead of meaningless questing in their MMO?

I presume you liked the questing in SWG even where a lot of MMO gamers found that shitty?

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

In DragonAge for instance, you could play as human, elf or dwarf. It was supposed to effect the story. It didnt. If you played as an elf, npcs would say "oh your an elf", and that was it. You guys mean to tell me you actually think they are writing real variations on every story to reflect the speices your playing? I will believe it when I see it.

But in any case they still purposefully overlooked many very recognizable races so they could go as human as possible. And theres no excuse for that. If they needed to write a story variation for a moncal, then do it. They would have to do the same for the other speices they have already chosen anyway. They are all still unique in their own way regardless of how human they look. There is a world of difference between a male human smuggler and a female twilek smuggler. So again, "story" is a poor excuse for not including the likes of trandoshan, moncal, bothan ect.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Originally posted by spookytooth

In DragonAge for instance, you could play as human, elf or dwarf. It was supposed to effect the story. It didnt. If you played as an elf, npcs would say "oh your an elf", and that was it. You guys mean to tell me you actually think they are writing real variations on every story to reflect the speices your playing? I will believe it when I see it.

But in any case they still purposefully overlooked many very recognizable races so they could go as human as possible. And theres no excuse for that. If they needed to write a story variation for a moncal, then do it. They would have to do the same for the other speices they have already chosen anyway. They are all still unique in their own way regardless of how human they look. There is a world of difference between a male human smuggler and a female twilek smuggler. So again, "story" is a poor excuse for not including the likes of trandoshan, moncal, bothan ect.

And then all that works get ruined by the players who largely play each race the same as the others, thereby making them all humans in funny suits.  Bleh, I'd rather they restrict the stranger races to NPCs so they actually feel more alien and have character.  That would more than justify the direction they are taking here.

Originally posted by agaga

Well, SWTOR does look like it;s going to be a cartoonish child's game, doesn't it. I hope it's a success but all signs point to 'Fail'. I know you agree, mate.

I guess WoW is a kid's cartoon game too.

No matter, I understand, it must be hard to find that SWG went down hard and after that finding no MMO's to find comfort in. It isn't easy to find no pleasure at all in the MMO games that you play.

I don't think you'll find that in SW:TOR either or any other MMO for that matter. I hope you will but all signs indicate that you won't find that feeling back again that you had with SWG's early days. No point crying about it either, it's past.

I know you agree, lass.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

Originally posted by Drachasor

And then all that works get ruined by the players who largely play each race the same as the others, thereby making them all humans in funny suits.  Bleh, I'd rather they restrict the stranger races to NPCs so they actually feel more alien and have character.  That would more than justify the direction they are taking here.

Not sure I get what you mean.  Like if I am playing a wookie I should roleplay a wookie? I am talking about how the game responds to me as a wookie. But, I dont think I would know how to play a wookie as a wookie. I dont think I would know how to play a Chiss assasin or a female twilek smuggler either. Not unless I was a super duper hard core roleplayer. In any case if what I am talking about sounds like humans in funny suits, then what we have here is a case of humans in funny colors.

• agagaagaga Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by cyphers

Well, SWTOR does look like it;s going to be a cartoonish child's game, doesn't it. I hope it's a success but all signs point to 'Fail'. I know you agree, mate.

No matter, I understand, it must be hard to find that SWG went down hard and after that finding no MMO's to find comfort in. It isn't easy to find no pleasure at all in the MMO games that you play.

I don't think you'll find that in SW:TOR either or any other MMO for that matter. I hope you will but all signs indicate that you won't find that feeling back again that you had with SWG's early days. No point crying about it either, it's past.

I know you agree, lass.

'Lass'?

If your reading of this game is as wild and inaccurate as your reading of me, then SWOTOR really is destined for the crapper. Good luck withat that.

Not sure I get what you mean.  Like if I am playing a wookie I should roleplay a wookie? I am talking about how the game responds to me as a wookie. But, I dont think I would know how to play a wookie as a wookie. I dont think I would know how to play a Chiss assasin or a female twilek smuggler either. Not unless I was a super duper hard core roleplayer. In any case if what I am talking about sounds like humans in funny suits, then what we have here is a case of humans in funny colors.

I mean precisely what you suggest about Wookies and the like.  Funny colors isn't that bad, especially since the vast majority of the races are nearly human (in lore terms, almost all the playable races are actually descended of human stock, so having them act just like humans makes sense...Twi'leks are about the only race that isn't near human, I think).

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I'm going to reserve any judgement on the response until the entire species list has been released.  I wasn't expecting to play wookies anyway, as there was some mention about it not meshing with the lore.

I'd be disappointed to not at least see rodians,  but  togruta and naotolans and the likes of similar races would be nice additions.  

One thing none of us really know is how much race actually changes perceptions of you or how you are spoken to in game.  It could be something as simple as calling you a different name, or it could be as complex as adding alternate choices or having completely different story elements ensue.  Even in DA they had stuff like that to a smaller degree.  With a game 10 times as large who knows how this will cascade.

So, again, I will reserve judgement until all species are confirmed.

'Lass'?

If your reading of this game is as wild and inaccurate as your reading of me, then SWOTOR really is destined for the crapper. Good luck withat that.

Well, 'bitch' or 'lady' both don't fit either, right?

Regarding reading you: disgruntled SWG vet who dislikes Bioware games? Check.

SW:TOR hater who uses wild arguments with no real proof at all and with even less knowledge of Star Wars? Double check.

Sounds pretty much truth to me image

If you think my reading of this game has any influence on SW:TOR's destiny, then you must really have said goodbye to any reason, logic or intelligence. I hope for you that you have any other redeeming qualities to get you about, but if not, well I wish you luck with the MMO you'll be playing image

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I'm going to reserve any judgement on the response until the entire species list has been released.  I wasn't expecting to play wookies anyway, as there was some mention about it not meshing with the lore.

I'd be disappointed to not at least see rodians,  but  togruta and naotolans and the likes of similar races would be nice additions.  

One thing none of us really know is how much race actually changes perceptions of you or how you are spoken to in game.  It could be something as simple as calling you a different name, or it could be as complex as adding alternate choices or having completely different story elements ensue.  Even in DA they had stuff like that to a smaller degree.  With a game 10 times as large who knows how this will cascade.

Read what he said. It all is about romances. No Bothans, no Rodians, no Nautolans, NADA.

Only Trek-aliens with some odd nose or ear. End of story.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

I know you agree, lass.

'Lass'?

I'm a bit confused.  You believe the game is going to fail, but you're going to buy and play it anyway?  The perfect example of some one not speaking with their wallet and why MMOs don't have a higher standard of release.

I think the race choices are fine.  Some races would receive different reactions from the NPCs, so I can see why they decided to go that way. Wookies and Trandos spring to mind.

I'm an SWG Vet (pre-cu,cu,nge) and I've left SWG behind a long time ago.  I'm ready for SWTOR. I want the story, because I thought that was the best part in Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

'Lass'?

SW:TOR hater who uses wild arguments with no real proof at all and with even less knowledge of Star Wars? Double check.

If you think my reading of this game has any influence on SW:TOR's destiny, then you must really have said goodbye to any reason, logic or intelligence. I hope for you that you have any other redeeming qualities to get you about, but if not, well I wish you luck with the MMO you'll be playing image

Woah..tone it down a notch, friend.  Started off a bit offensively there.  Let's try to be civil here, even if we disagree.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Read what he said. It all is about romances. No Bothans, no Rodians, no Nautolans, NADA.

Only Trek-aliens with some odd nose or ear. End of story.

..Actually I read exactly the opposite,  that it wasn't about romances. (the last lines of the post)

"So did we limit species choice for romances? No. Did we limit them for our goal of bringing cinematic storytelling and the dream of living the Star Wars movies to the MMO space? Absolutely.     

Hope that helps!"

So, again, I'm not going to count out nautolans, togruta, and maybe even rodians or mon cal until they say specifically its a no go.   

Woah..tone it down a notch, friend.  Started off a bit offensively there.  Let's try to be civil here, even if we disagree.

Ehm, if you read the first sentence then you might see that I purposely used 'lass' instead of those other words because of its more neutral character. But speaking in general, you're right: I'll try and be more conscious in my wordings.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

'Lass'?

Hey I have bought and liked every bioware game.  Okay, I hated NWN OC and didn't play MDKs or sonic but other then those I have liked their games.  And I still think it's going to fail as an MMO.  

You want to know why?  Because instead of showing of endgame or crafting or pvp they show of a tube shooter with no room for direct growth.  Why?  Because of story.  Then they state that they are anrt going to add some of the most beloved races of SW.  Why? Because of story. 

You know what question this raises?  What other parts of the MMO have they cut because of story?   Given Dan's post I am betting alot. 

If they cut alot of the MMO out, your just left with KOTOR or ME with the ability to group up or fight with other players.  

Given Biowares ever shorter stories I could and most other could finish all 16 stories easily in a couple of months.  Then what?  Yes thats right we have another STO/WAR/AoC on our hands.  

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Can't say I care all that much, I'd most likely only play as human or Zabrak anyay, just as with SWG.

Didn't this point get argued back and forth already anyway?  Basically because they said long ago, species choices would be limited to those that can speak galactic basic.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• darkwarhammedarkwarhamme Member UncommonPosts: 55

Just thinking about how they would put armor on an Ithorian or Trandoshan...that would be some strange looking armor. Then again, if you look at some of the armor they showed in the Mysteries of Knights of the Old Republic video, they might have armor that makes you look like one of the stranger looking creatures in Star Wars :P

All kidding aside, I completely understand the decision that they are making. Bioware obviously wants us to have a deep connection with our characters (hope this happens) and they don't feel they can do that if people make alien creatures that they can't relate to. Also  It makes it easier not to have to change a lot of the reactions NPCs might have to different looking species, and that time can be spent on making other parts of the game better.

I like to take a positive look at these things.

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

i guess this is where the split is between people who favor sandbox elements above story, and those who favor story above sandbox elements.
    Those who don't care much for Bioware's direction of deepened storytelling are more interested in the largest range of freedom and flexibility, wanting to play all races possible, being able to do whatever you want, build wherever you want, and story is only restrictive in their eyes. It's clear that SW:TOR won't cater to them.
    Then there's those who like story immersion and accept the restrictions it might bring, favoring story above sandbox elements. That's the group SW:TOR will be catering for.

While there are some MMO's that have very alternative races to pick from - like EQ2 for example - this doesn't apply to all MMO's: a lot of fantasy races as elf and dwarf are as humanlike as Chiss or Twi'Lek, while some MMO's as GW or Aion had only humanlike races to choose from.
    Looking at movies and series, it becomes even clearer. A lot of the alien races that feature most prominently are all basically humanlike in appearance, look at all the Star Trek series, and Star Trek wasn't even unique in it, Babylon 5, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, it's strange (well, not really) how much alien races resemble humans in appearance as well as psychology.

In short: would I like to have even more choice in races? Yeah, but I also don't really care. So I don't feel it as a restriction.
    For those that do, I restate what I said earlier: if you're looking for SWG2 or for all kinds of sandbox-type elements, then SW:TOR is clearly not for you. There are other games that cater that taste better.

Your point would be valid if they were making a movie.

They're not. They're making a game.

That's strange because evey BioWare game i have played over the last 5 year sure does feel like a repetative movie. Wait till you see this so called wide open worlds.

BioWare idea of vast open world is not the same as what we in the mmorpg community called open world.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SupermanDanSupermanDan Member Posts: 56

I can see why Bioware went with this decision as using alien species as a playable race wouldn't really work for most cases. They wanna keep the races humanish so that they'll speak english with just different tones. Honestly think about being in a party with a rodian or a trandoshan and having to listen to them speak their alien language and read all of the translation in text to understand what the hell he just said it'll take away from the story. Honestly the games got like till June 2011 till it comes out don't jump to conclusions like its the end of the world the only reason it worked in SWG was there was no voice overs at all. Also if you played Kotor 1 or 2 you couldn't play a alien just a human so its not a big suprise. I'm getting really tired of reading about how they failed on the space combat with a rail / tunnel shooter instead of a SWG like space and we really don't know how much space combat there is gonna be or if it'll improve as you go on or anything that might of just been the tutorial level for all we know course I'm being optimistic. And yea I'll say I'm kinda a fanboi since I loved the first two kotors and don't wanna see this game fail as I've seen and played a ton others that have and I'd like a MMO that'll last me atleast a year or more.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Doesn't change anything, same humanoid races we knew about before are still possible.

With the exception of Trandoshans being confirmed as not playable.

If they use these reasons to exclude very similar races which still have some differences, like Cathar and Togruta, yes, that is far-teched, but this is not confirmation of that.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

Even though i would love to play a rodian bounty hunter as i did in SWG i can completely understand bioware. I mean the game is fully voiced, there will be allot of conversations. If they have to make it for every single alien race than this game won't be done untill we encounter aliens in RL. Also armors would be a issue. You people don't have to make the game, but believe me its hard enough to make a game. YOu can only see that they don't implant the alien race you want to play, but there are more than one reason why bioware made this decision. And its to easy to judge them on what some guy said at a convention. Who says all of bioware thinks like that?

I can understand you people are angry and feel like bioware forces you to play a certain path. But you have a choice still...you don't have to play this game. But i bet 70% of the ones who complain here will be present at the first day the game gets playable. I myself will give the game a  try. Im curiouse about the story driven gameplay in a MMORPG and fully voiced. I don't believe in that the story is only there to force you to walk a certain path. Cause honestly..every MMORPG that came out the last few years is like that. And i rather see a story where im ordert to kill 10 droids than that i walk in forrest having to kill x ammount of wolves for some random npc i met without any story behind it why i even would do that. At least SW TOR seems to give you a reason to do it. And i have no illusions this will be a groundbreaking evolution in MMORPG's, it will just be another MMORPG. But hey i enjoyed WoW, i liked AoC, had great fun with the Warhammer PvP and apreciated the attempts LotrO did to offer more for RP players as iam RPer and i just loved the shiny looks of Aion.

Bioware never stated this would be the next SWG. If you want to play alien races than why not play SWG? SWG will keep running next to SW TOR so if you don't like the SW TOR aproach than why not play SWG?

Come on people, we can complain but it won't bring us the alien races. You can burn this game before even tried it just because it doesn't do as you want it to do. But its Bioware's game and they decide how the game will look like and you can accept that or not accept it. If you don't accept it than don't play it. Im sure there will be more SW games in the future and probally a new MMORPG aswell. And i really hope a new SWG will come someday cause till this day on its the most free game i ever played (i never played UO) and it would be awesome to get that back. But SWG had to grow and expend over time aswell so maybe in the future you get to play other alien races in expensions and have more to do in SW TOR.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

This game has become more and more unappealing with every bit of news I have heard.

I really wanted this game to work out, I love Star Wars. 

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Drakxii

'Lass'?

Hey I have bought and liked every bioware game.  Okay, I hated NWN OC and didn't play MDKs or sonic but other then those I have liked their games.  And I still think it's going to fail as an MMO.  

You want to know why?  Because instead of showing of endgame or crafting or pvp they show of a tube shooter with no room for direct growth.  Why?  Because of story.  Then they state that they are anrt going to add some of the most beloved races of SW.  Why? Because of story. 

You know what question this raises?  What other parts of the MMO have they cut because of story?   Given Dan's post I am betting alot. 

If they cut alot of the MMO out, your just left with KOTOR or ME with the ability to group up or fight with other players.  

Given Biowares ever shorter stories I could and most other could finish all 16 stories easily in a couple of months.  Then what?  Yes thats right we have another STO/WAR/AoC on our hands.  

Maybe they are not 100% ready to show this information.

I'll wait until information is released before starting to panic. I highly doubt they cut very important MMO features because of story. Its been said by them that it has all the classic features than make an MMO. Until proven wrong you can't disagree. (Alien races are hardly an important feature for an MMO, more like a nicely added bonus. Pleased if they are in but you won't lock yourself in a padded room if they decide not to have them)

I'm a little disappointed i wont get to play a Mon cal but i can overlook that. I don't base a game on what race i can or can't play.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Oh Oh I know.... They will be adding species in a Bio-Store!

Wow arguaments like the ones going on here sure do show some passion, they also show, unfortunately, that people have just a bit more free time on their hands than they need. 

People are still going to play this game regardless of what the dolls will look like and a few monhs from now the passion and opinions here will all be diferent. I don't even know why I bothered replying here to begin with. I guess I'm a little bored while waiting to go to work this morning.