Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the ignore list called blacklist?

DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

I arrive to the first town trying to get into the game again. when I arrived I got into range of a gold seller already spamming away. It took my awhile to figure out how to ignore because of the crappy uit. I tried the usual commands in almost every mmo /ignore name. etc.

So I'm begging people to tell me how to ignore this spam and what do I find out. It under the social list menu under Blacklist. It just seems odd to call it by a color or even odd how it got this far into beta. How odd it might be I hope they meant to type out blocklist.

Has this translation been like this through all the beta stages?

What other odd translation you guys seen?

--
"Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

Comments

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

It is not an off translation man

definition:

A blacklist (or black list) is a list or register of persons who, for one reason or another, are being denied a particular privilege, service, mobility, access or recognition. As a verb, to blacklist can mean to deny someone work in a particular field, or to ostracize a person from a certain social circle. Conversely, a whitelist is a list or compilation identifying persons or organizations that are accepted, recognized, or privileged.

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• AdequateAdequate Member UncommonPosts: 17

^^ beaten by the post above

It's been around forever, " Open your mind... Open your mind... Open your mind... "

• DancerDancer Member Posts: 102

It's a case of age I think. Blacklist is kind of old school, old wordage. My dad calls a paper bag a sack, my grandson asked him what a sack was, my dad said a paper bag, he then asked him what a paper bag was. He has grown up seeing nothing but plastic, he's only 5.  It's all what you are accustom too. 

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

Originally posted by xephonics

definition:

A blacklist (or black list) is a list or register of persons who, for one reason or another, are being denied a particular privilege, service, mobility, access or recognition. As a verb, to blacklist can mean to deny someone work in a particular field, or to ostracize a person from a certain social circle. Conversely, a whitelist is a list or compilation identifying persons or organizations that are accepted, recognized, or privileged.

Oh so it kinda like the black book. It still odd word to use. =/

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• DancerDancer Member Posts: 102

Originally posted by Devalon

definition:

LOL now see, a "black book" to me would be a little address/phone number book single men carry around with all their girlfriends names in it. 

• CorruptedCorrupted Member Posts: 310

Originally posted by Dancer

definition:

LOL now see, a "black book" to me would be a little address/phone number book single men carry around with all their girlfriends names in it. 

lol, yeah I wouldn't say black book either nor would I say "girlfriend", maybe just a bang :)

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

Originally posted by Dancer

definition:

LAWL!

I was born in Las Vegas. So I must of heard black book a dozen times.

--

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Blacklist is still used. Particularly in IT. If your private server for your domain gets blacklisted, it's pain in the hindquarters (hindquarters means butt or arse for those who don't use THAT term anymore) to get off.

I believe this is the reference the programmers were referring to.

• IkkeiIkkei Member Posts: 169

Actually, this "color" imagery is quite common in english, as in many other languages I believe, latin/greek/saxon-based ones at least. 

You'll get a "white card" (carte blanche) when your superior gives you all powers to achieve your task at hand ("do what you must")

You'll be "blackmailed" by someone who tries to manipulate you ("do as I say or else...")

You'll write a "whitepaper" on a subject that you need thoroughly covered for future policies. You'll read whitesheets in computer development.

You'll see a lot of those "black-something" and conversely "white-something" in science and technical vocabulary, because it's easy to picture the concept. If I tell you about "white doors" and "black doors" in a system that restricts user passage, you intuitively get the idea.

I guess it's a lasting reminescence of some ancestral imagery stating that good is white (freedom, good gods...) and black is bad (filthiness, death, evil gods...). The day is full of possibilities, the night is dangerous. It's easy to imagine how primitive men associated, very early cognitively, the light (represented by white) with "good" and the dark (pictured with black) with "bad". You get the idea.

Somehow I think this primitive symbolism was reinforced in Europe with binary religions and cultures picturing a fundamental "good vs evil" opposition, thus implicitely validating many language references to that concept. Asian cultures tend to form somewhat different imagery on colors, since they see existence less as a binary thing but more as a "flavored" one in their millenium-old philosophies.