Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does it run on your rig?

f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194

There are a lot of scattered posts around here with many complaints about how this game runs and also a lot of people countering those by saying such things as "Runs great!!! Everything Maxed out!!! your computer is broken or you have a hardware issue."  I'd like to make this thread not a pissing contest with people but as a reference to how this game runs on different assortment of computers.  Please post the specs of your machine in as much detail as you like and, then the settings of the game you are currently running.

Please also get a FPS counting program such as fraps(free) which is what I'm using here to take proof of how bad or great your game is running.  I would also like you guys to keep this as legit as possible, although it is extremely easy to doctor the photos and change your true fps I hope you would resist the urge and not do that.  There are also some criteria I would like to use.  For instance take a photo of yourself in the game in the highest populated area (I found the adventure guilds to be best) and then also an area where it's nice and open with almost no other toons.  This will give us both the high and lows.

My Rig:

Processor: Q9550 @ 2.83ghz

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

Ram: 4gig

Vid Card: Gigabyte GTX 460

Game Resolution: 1680x1050

Multisampling: No AA

Buffer Size: Resolution

Shadow Detail: Lowest

And my SS with the frame rates shown:

Comments

• GryffindorGryffindor Member Posts: 7

I really think that this game requires you to have i7 3.5Ghz+ OC and SLI or Crossfire of high end video.

I overclocked my processor Q9550 2.8Ghz into 3.6Ghz and GTX 470 OCed to 800/1600/1800 playing at 1920 x 1080 resolution. The game appears to be  laggy. I never reach 60 fps except in the cutscene then back to laggy gameplay. I got fairly the same fps as you got with everything in standard settings with 2x AA. But if I put everything to lowest then I gain about 5-8 fps which still crap.

I may have to cancel my pre-order on this game. It's just terribly unplayable to me. I just don't want to get SLI settings just for this one game.

I can play any other mmorpgs smoothly in maximum settings except this one =/

• AzorithAzorith Member UncommonPosts: 188

Cancel your preorder on a game because you cant run max settings max resolution with 60+ FPS is a bit silly. You play the game for the game, the graphics are just a plus. I'm not sure about support for SLI but a lot of people seem to complain more when running SLI.

I have a q6600, 4gigs ddr2 800, and a HD4850. I'm going to test the game in about 8hours when I get home, and I'll most likely have to oc my cpu. Then it's deciding between upgrading my PC, or changing my preorder to the ps3 version.

• tswthoradintswthoradin Member Posts: 83

I have to agree with gryff in the above post, if you aren't a fanboy I would wait at least a good 3-4 months after the release to buy this game. My system is on the upper end of mid range systems and it's almost unplayable. The frame rates are horrid, the lag is horrid, and it doesn't have the shine that other mmo's do. I know this is a beta but this is only less then 3 weeks from launch and it just isn't ready yet. The mouse lags, that is saying something. If you are a fanboy, you'll love it I would imagine, but for the people who are on the fence, i'd just wait another 4-5 months and hopefully it will have all the coding issues worked out and be a little more player friendly. (oh and to those people that say quit playing then, I am) (no, i'm not a WoW fan) (no, I don't hate FF) I don't know if there is anymore pre-emprives I can throw up, invariably a fanboy will come on and try to flame my post and tell me the problem is with me and not the game. I think the game will eventually be good, it just isn't now.

Originally posted by Azorith

Cancel your preorder on a game because you cant run max settings max resolution with 60+ FPS is a bit silly. You play the game for the game, the graphics are just a plus. I'm not sure about support for SLI but a lot of people seem to complain more when running SLI.

I have a q6600, 4gigs ddr2 800, and a HD4850. I'm going to test the game in about 8hours when I get home, and I'll most likely have to oc my cpu. Then it's deciding between upgrading my PC, or changing my preorder to the ps3 version.

Let see when you try it and that is when you will decide that you wanna go back to FFXI

I'm canceling my order because the game runs bad even in the lowest settings with all those plus unchecked. I can't stand hours and hours grinding with all the lag. The game is amazingly working well when you're inside one small room without the outside rendering but slumped back to 25 fps when you're outside. That is -45 fps difference there.

• felizcatfelizcat Member UncommonPosts: 8

Originally posted by Gryffindor

I really think that this game requires you to have i7 3.5Ghz+ OC and SLI or Crossfire of high end video.

I overclocked my processor Q9550 2.8Ghz into 3.6Ghz and GTX 470 OCed to 800/1600/1800 playing at 1920 x 1080 resolution. The game appears to be  laggy. I never reach 60 fps except in the cutscene then back to laggy gameplay. I got fairly the same fps as you got with everything in standard settings with 2x AA. But if I put everything to lowest then I gain about 5-8 fps which still crap.

I may have to cancel my pre-order on this game. It's just terribly unplayable to me. I just don't want to get SLI settings just for this one game.

I can play any other mmorpgs smoothly in maximum settings except this one =/

There is no need to overclock your CPU, all it accomplishes is produce more heat. Most games are GPU bound, meaning they are as fast as their GPU, with a lot of the CPU waiting for the GPU to be ready. I ran the SE benchmark for the game and I am at the low end with my 8800 GTS graphics card and a 3.2 GHz E8500 dual core. The GTX 460 achieves about double the benchmark throughput than my 8800 GTS, which puts your 470 into the lead. The same is true for SLI, there is no need, unless you really really  have to have the hottest rig in town. Make sure you get that cooled properly.

• AnimatorKidAnimatorKid Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by Azorith

It really does go after my system. I have 6gigs of ram on a Q6600(unclocked int he pic), an ok card as a  9800 GTX/9800GTX+. It ranks like 41st on a huge list of cards.

Photobucket

Overclocking CPU does help improving fps. I got about 3000 on my score running FFXIV benchmark with CPU and GPU on stock clock. If I overclock my CPU to 3.6Ghz, I get 3200 and when I only overclock the GPU, I get GPU to that OC settings I mentioned above, I got 3500. What would happened if I overclock both of them? Probably I would get about 3800. Still it won't make a big difference within the game because that's just about 5 fps higher...

Forgot what I am running settings at

VIDEO

Shadow Detail: Standard

GRAPHIC

Ambient Occlusion: OFF

Depth of Field :ON

Disable Cutscene Effects: OFF

Texture Quality: Standard

Texture Filtering: Highest

• elihupelihup Member Posts: 102

Processor: Intel i7 920 quad core @2.66 ghz

Ram: 6 gig

Vid Card: 260 GTX

AA: 2X

Textures: Highest settings

I havent checked my fps as I dont really care but everything runs smooth even in the most congested areas.  The mouse movement is good at these settings, and indistinguishable from a hardware mouse at slightly lower resolutions.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

Definitly the worst optimized game I've ever played in my long life of video games.

E7400 @ 3.0GHz

4GB HyperX RAM

Windows 7 64-Bit

Low settings, 24-36FPS

Looks great but gives me a headache.

• TheOilyDukeTheOilyDuke Member Posts: 6

phenom II x4 925 2.8GHz

4GB 1333

1920x1080

I just run it on low

doesn't look bad at all but it runs terribly

pretty much the same as JonnyBigBoss

Originally posted by elihup

Processor: Intel i7 920 quad core @2.66 ghz

Ram: 6 gig

Vid Card: 260 GTX

AA: 2X

Textures: Highest settings

I havent checked my fps as I dont really care but everything runs smooth even in the most congested areas.  The mouse movement is good at these settings, and indistinguishable from a hardware mouse at slightly lower resolutions.

Your setup is alot nicer then mine, your card is 24 places higher then mine lol.

• testmylucktestmyluck Member Posts: 91

Graphically, runs fair enough, though you can tell they basically did no optimization for the PC client. The bigger issue is there seems to be some killer lag (at least on Besaid) which makes everything take forever.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Man, I don't mean to sound selfish here, but I'm truly relieved that I'm not the only one experiencing these performance issues. I built this computer just last year, and while it wasn't really anything special even then, it's never had a problem running anything else. F1seb, I don't have any screens at the moment to post, but I've been playing in the same city as you, and I've been testing the fps in both of the same areas, and my performance is just about identical to yours.

Specs:

Nvidia GTX275 1792MB

E8600 Core 2 Duo 3.33GHZ

4GB ram Corsair dominator

Corsair 750 PSU

I've only got one GPU at the moment, and while it's not all that great by today's standards, it usually has no problem running anything I've thrown at it (AoC, Vanguard, EQ2, etc). But with FFXIV, I'm lucky to get into the 40s in even sparsely populated areas. In dense areas I usually hover around 15 and into the 20s, and anywhere around 35 - 48 in the lesser populated areas. Lately though, it only seems to take a couple of player characters to bring me down to around 27-30 - it's crazy.

A strange thing I've also noticed (while playing around with just about every viable setting/ res combination) is that I actually seem to get better performance with 1680x1080,  standard shadows, high textures, and AA enabled (even up to 16) then I do with the 720 res and everything turned all the way down. Other than that, changing the settings doesn't really seem to make any difference; it's very strange. It seems like no matter how much I lower the settings, the performance increase is negligible if at all.

In any case, the performance issues have left me on the fence about whether I'm going to preorder or not. I'm not even remotely capable of upgrading this thing right now, and even if I could, I just don't understand why I'd need to. Heck, I even scored a 2800 on the benchmark (high res, 3300+ on low) which I assumed would be high enough to run the game at an acceptable level. I know "acceptable" is a relative term but damn, I can't stand when my FPS drops into the teens. Ugh...

In light of this, FFXI very well might be getting a new player. Anyone have any server suggestions? 

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

for the short time I played I saw lots of screen tearing and sub-30 fps with very low settings on my gtx 260.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Im not going to install fraps, but I will say it runs fine on my 1 year old machine.  Except for return latency and massive server lag which I am told is due to it being beta (hope thats not just wishful thinking).

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by Terikan3

for the short time I played I saw lots of screen tearing and sub-30 fps with very low settings on my gtx 260.

Same thing with my 5770.

• bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195

My computer = P5W64 WS MB,Intel dual core 6700 @ 2.66ghz, geforce 8800GTX, 4Gb corsair...

My computer run it fine at 1920/1080 (windowed on a 30".) with no shadow. Even with Firefox eating all my CPU... Of course, if you want all the eye candy it offer haha, that's another story.

Game can run fine with some setting lowered, everything on max get it to freeze.

• elihupelihup Member Posts: 102

Originally posted by AnimatorKid

Your setup is alot nicer then mine, your card is 24 places higher then mine lol.

How does the game run for you?  Didnt really see a description of performance in your post.

I think I found a happy setting for how my CPU reacts. Now itrs about the same as other games I play on my PC, which for thos games is maxed, but not for FFXIV. Ill run fraps now and see what that equates to for the games I compared.

Other games runs at around 58-60 FPS at beyond max settings, FFXIV runs ar 18-24 FPS, Geez...

• SujieunSujieun Member UncommonPosts: 11

Heh Guess Im lucky I get steady 60 fps with Tri Monitor~

I use 3 ATI 5870 but this game doesnt support crossfire yet ><!

So running off one card on 5760x1200~

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 4.6GHz

12288MB RAM

www.twitch.tv/sujieun

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Forgot what I am running settings at

VIDEO

GRAPHIC

Ambient Occlusion: OFF

Depth of Field :ON

Disable Cutscene Effects: OFF

Texture Quality: Standard

Texture Filtering: Highest

Gonna try the resolution, running at 1920x1080 probably too heavy for my card. will tell the results later.

Originally posted by letsgo1818

I use 3 ATI 5870 but this game doesnt support crossfire yet >

12288MB RAM

Your cheating lol.....

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by letsgo1818

I use 3 ATI 5870 but this game doesnt support crossfire yet >>

12288MB RAM

You get a steady 60 frames even in populated areas, on 3 monitors? You've got a crazy nice system, but given that SLI isn't supported yet, I don't know how in the hell you're pulling that off.

That's what really baffles me about the performance issues amongst people - there doesn't really seem to be any consistency. Some say that it runs fantastic (even those that have comparable systems to my own) and others say that it runs like total crap; which is certainly my case.

It's really confusing.

I have to wonder if maybe latency is playing a bigger part in these performance issues than we realize.

• FTYGFTYG Member Posts: 67

Photobucket

off-the-topic, what is the program that you using to monitor CPU usage? please :)