Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst gaming community ever, stay away if this matters to you.

Played just about every major MMO to hit the market. A ton of non-major MMO's. FPS, etc. Been online gaming since MUDS. 360, PS2, Dreamcast, PC.... etc. etc..

This game has by far and without a shadow of a doubt... the worst community I have ever seen. Chat rarely amounts to nothing more than baseless filth spewed from the mouths of people claiming that you are a "kid" when they themselves most likely are less mature than your average middle school child. If you die, do bad, have an off day/game, or do anything other than perfection then you will be berated to shit... since one side loses every match... well you get the picture there.

So then you hop over to the LOL forums. I actually read a 3 page post that was almost exclusively people saying that this was "not just a game". Just about every post affirms this sentement. Someone posted a lore post on general (the most appropriate place) and got voted right off due to the need to bitch, moan, complain, and berate other people.

I'm sorry but MMO's need to understand that community is an important factor of their games and that they are gonna be the ones left holding the bag when things got out of hand.

The game really is a "Decent' game, but if community matters at all to you, stay away from this title. The community here is pure filth.

Comments

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

There are dumb kids in this game, but I've met plenty of mature people, too.  They're on my friend list.  The kids aren't.

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by Robokapp

Povey, League of Legends is not an MMO. That one really is an E-Sport.

you cant judge its community by mmo standards.

it's massive, it's multiplayer, it has MMO elements...its not an mmo still.

What do you mean you can't judge an MMOG community by MMORPG standards? Is a smacktard different in LoL than in an MMORPG? I don't think so.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Zookz1

What do you mean you can't judge an MMOG community by MMORPG standards? Is a smacktard different in LoL than in an MMORPG? I don't think so.

There are levels of smacktardedness that may be worse in one game and better in another. Apparently, it's worse in LoL because of the atmosphere created by the gameplay (not surprisingly).

You can judge a prison community and a suburban neighborhood in Happyland on the same level - both will have smacktards - but I bet you the smacktards in jail would be far worse.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

No, but the difference is you go into an MMO hoping for a community. Imagine LoL as a isometric fantasy-based Counter-Strike. There is no point in making the comparison. They are two totally different types of communities. There are almost never any communities with lobby-based or individual server-based games. You'll probably never play with those players again, you can be the biggest jerk in the world and never have any negative consequences other than someone rage-quitting the game.

LoL is an e-Sport. What do you expect?

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

a game that is based around competitive play is a game where the players play to win, not to get emotionally attached to their characters.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

that's the difference between a mmorpg and a competitive multiplayer game. LoL is played to win. Not to make friends and group and farm xp together. But to crush the oposition. Boot-on-back-of-human-head.

I'm not sure how to explain it, it's pretty obvious. Sure you can deny my argument, call me names, tell me how horrible i am as a human being. I fully expect it. But it won't change the fact. The community is appropriate for the game type. It's agressive, competitive, elitist. Perfect.

and no I don't play LoL. My brother plays it all the time so I know what I'm talking about, but i'm not a player myself.

You hit it on the head.

It's a completely different mindset from an MMO to an e-Sport game. People play MMOs to relax, to unwind. Even the hardcore players play to have fun, relax, goof off a lot, and even take it easy. You play to play the game.

In an e-Sport, games like Counter-Strike, DOTA-esque games, you're playing to win. That's the only focus. And if you have a person on your team that's bad, you'll probably let them know.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

a game that is based around competitive play is a game where the players play to win, not to get emotionally attached to their characters.

that's the difference between a mmorpg and a competitive multiplayer game. LoL is played to win. Not to make friends and group and farm xp together. But to crush the oposition. Boot-on-back-of-human-head.

I'm not sure how to explain it, it's pretty obvious. Sure you can deny my argument, call me names, tell me how horrible i am as a human being. I fully expect it. But it won't change the fact. The community is appropriate for the game type. It's agressive, competitive, elitist. Perfect.

and no I don't play LoL. My brother plays it all the time so I know what I'm talking about, but i'm not a player myself.

It seems I run into the play to win mentality even in PVE nowdays. A lot of people are emotionally attached to gear and being "pro" at slaying dragons. I play a lot of SC2 (highly competitive game) and don't run into half the petulant children and adults that I've run into across various MMO's. For me, I really can't differentiate between the two. An elitist dick is an elitist dick no matter where you go.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

Really made my day reading that part. I'll have to remember that one or put it in my sig now lol.

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• FlaebFlaeb Member Posts: 91

Robokapp, I couldn't say it any better, I agree with every post you said in this thread. Every person who plays League needs to comprehend exactly what you posted. Thank you.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

The worst community ever? You never played Heroes of Newerth did you? Well I played the beta, and I didn't play it for long. The game was great, but the community the worst I ever met.

Or to quote some reviews of Heroes of Newerth:

The issue is not with the game’s creators, who haven’t made a bad game at all. It’s with the community that they have catered for with it. Words like ‘PWNING’ popping up when you’re on a killing spree, however tongue and cheek, still add to the vibe that these overly-aggressive, humiliating or just downright internetty behaviours are encouraged. Of course, there are players out there – funny, interesting, nice, well rounded players – who no doubt have a guild I should join. But who has the time to hold out against hope that the next people you play against won’t be c*nts, on a game seemingly created to attract them. No matter how well crafted it is. Pun intended. (DarkZero)

Sadly, the consequence of this is that tolerance for new players is thin on the ground, and if you're unfortunate enough to land in a game full of experienced players on your first foray into the game, either steel yourself for some harsh criticism or bail out. (strategyinformer)

A fairly arcane design and an unfriendly community make for difficult entry barriers.  (pc gamer uk) 

For anyone who is a super advanced DotA player, Newerth is a must buy, if only to keep up with the tournaments. Everyone else really should stay away due to the terrible community.  (MyGamer) 

The player community, by and large, just simply consists of a vast majority of assholes. (game revolution)

I'd have seriously considered buying HoN, but the community is downright horrible, the worst I ever ever met in many years of gaming. LoL? It got no great community either. But it's tolerable. Some people are nice, some are annoying. But all in all it's still palyable. HoN is not playable, because of it's community alone.

As such: nope, LoL doesn't have the worst community.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

This right here. LoL is a competitive game like Dota, HoN, CS and probably WoW arenas.

It's only natural the atmosphere will be a bit more heated and often people will be more offensive. I have caught myself yelling at my IRL friends countless times always feeling bad an hour after. Needless to say, I usually don't have my back against the chair when playing these games if you get the point.

• Povey151Povey151 Member Posts: 250

you can be competitive and not be a fuck ass fail retard, it's all about common courtesy.

I'm sorry you think being a douche canoe is acceptable but the simple fact is that people only act like this because of the anonymity the internet provides.

Just because you can get away with being a fuckwad doesnt mean you should act like one, especially since most of the people that are acting this way are wrong in the first place.

If i mess up and get some criticism, rough or not, I'll take it.

The larger problem lies with the community that is SHIT for the express purpose of being shit. People on LOL are douche bags because they can be, not because it's warranted (yes there are times in life where it is). And its not just a few people, it's most of them.

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by Povey151

Played just about every major MMO to hit the market. A ton of non-major MMO's. FPS, etc. Been online gaming since MUDS. 360, PS2, Dreamcast, PC.... etc. etc..

This game has by far and without a shadow of a doubt... the worst community I have ever seen. Chat rarely amounts to nothing more than baseless filth spewed from the mouths of people claiming that you are a "kid" when they themselves most likely are less mature than your average middle school child. If you die, do bad, have an off day/game, or do anything other than perfection then you will be berated to shit... since one side loses every match... well you get the picture there.

So then you hop over to the LOL forums. I actually read a 3 page post that was almost exclusively people saying that this was "not just a game". Just about every post affirms this sentement. Someone posted a lore post on general (the most appropriate place) and got voted right off due to the need to bitch, moan, complain, and berate other people.

I'm sorry but MMO's need to understand that community is an important factor of their games and that they are gonna be the ones left holding the bag when things got out of hand.

The game really is a "Decent' game, but if community matters at all to you, stay away from this title. The community here is pure filth.

Dude, you gotta ignore those folks and play on - there are douchebags in every game... they added an /ignore feature in game - so during a game you can now /ignore folks that suck.... they even have an /ignore team or /ignore all I think - some games you are just going to get matched up with douchebags... It  happens to us all...

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

You hit it on the head.

It's a completely different mindset from an MMO to an e-Sport game. People play MMOs to relax, to unwind. Even the hardcore players play to have fun, relax, goof off a lot, and even take it easy. You play to play the game.

In an e-Sport, games like Counter-Strike, DOTA-esque games, you're playing to win. That's the only focus. And if you have a person on your team that's bad, you'll probably let them know.

some people don't really mind playing a game while orders are barked at them at maximum volume through vent. For them it IS a relaxing atmosphere. And where are those players most often encountered? shooters.

Here I am with a gun in my hand killing people. their brains on the wall behind them. I expect the atmosphere to feel militarized. I screwed up, I got people killed...I expect to be yelled at. I've earned it.

not true for PvE in MMOs. True for Pvp in E-Sports.

what, you never played a team sport like soccer where everyone's yelling "go left. go left. pass it, I'm open. WTF was that?"

People get passionate in sports. And online people get passionate in E-Sports.

MMO's are NOT E-Sports. Pvp games are.

I've played a lot of competitive games in my life. I was part of leagues and ladders as well (Cal league was my favorite before it disappeared). I even had a BF2 team that I joined back in the day and we made it to the finals on the cal league.  I love competitive games and trying to win.

I will not let someone sit there and talk shit to me or take it to seriously though. I do play to win, and I do get frustrated at losing sometimes. There are times where I think "Man this guy on my team sucks and he is the reason we are losing." Guess what, I don't yell at him or tell him he should die in real life. That is because I am an adult and I act like one. I also expect others to act like one and I don't take shit from someone who thinks a video game matters in this world.

Anytime I've played something like MW2 and someone gets on the mic at the start and begins trying to be the leader and thinks he's going to order everyone around, I either mute him or tell him to shut up. That person doesn't know me and I don't know what thought goes through their head that they can tell me what to do. I do very well when I play competitive games and tend to be at the top of the list or close to it when the match is done. But I don't berate other people or allow them to try to do it to me or order me around.

I served in the military for 6 years, so the fact that you used the term "militaristic" for a game is fairly ridiculous to me. One of those things matters and the other doesn't have any effect on the world ever and who wins/does the best doesn't mean shit in this world. I followed orders in the military because that was my job. A video game is not my job, it is my fun, and no one gets to act like a douche and ruin my fun. Generally in CS when someone on my team would get like that I would make their play so miserable they'd quit. Any game that let's me do that to people I do.

So no, not everyone who plays competitive games acts like an annoying immature jerk and ruins other people's fun. Only the type of people that everyone else feels sorry for do that.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

You hit it on the head.

some people don't really mind playing a game while orders are barked at them at maximum volume through vent. For them it IS a relaxing atmosphere. And where are those players most often encountered? shooters.

Here I am with a gun in my hand killing people. their brains on the wall behind them. I expect the atmosphere to feel militarized. I screwed up, I got people killed...I expect to be yelled at. I've earned it.

not true for PvE in MMOs. True for Pvp in E-Sports.

what, you never played a team sport like soccer where everyone's yelling "go left. go left. pass it, I'm open. WTF was that?"

People get passionate in sports. And online people get passionate in E-Sports.

MMO's are NOT E-Sports. Pvp games are.

I've played a lot of competitive games in my life. I was part of leagues and ladders as well (Cal league was my favorite before it disappeared). I even had a BF2 team that I joined back in the day and we made it to the finals on the cal league.  I love competitive games and trying to win.

I will not let someone sit there and talk shit to me or take it to seriously though. I do play to win, and I do get frustrated at losing sometimes. There are times where I think "Man this guy on my team sucks and he is the reason we are losing." Guess what, I don't yell at him or tell him he should die in real life. That is because I am an adult and I act like one. I also expect others to act like one and I don't take shit from someone who thinks a video game matters in this world.

Anytime I've played something like MW2 and someone gets on the mic at the start and begins trying to be the leader and thinks he's going to order everyone around, I either mute him or tell him to shut up. That person doesn't know me and I don't know what thought goes through their head that they can tell me what to do. I do very well when I play competitive games and tend to be at the top of the list or close to it when the match is done. But I don't berate other people or allow them to try to do it to me or order me around.

I served in the military for 6 years, so the fact that you used the term "militaristic" for a game is fairly ridiculous to me. One of those things matters and the other doesn't have any effect on the world ever and who wins/does the best doesn't mean shit in this world. I followed orders in the military because that was my job. A video game is not my job, it is my fun, and no one gets to act like a douche and ruin my fun. Generally in CS when someone on my team would get like that I would make their play so miserable they'd quit. Any game that let's me do that to people I do.

So no, not everyone who plays competitive games acts like an annoying immature jerk and ruins other people's fun. Only the type of people that everyone else feels sorry for do that.

The one who acts maturely is the one who is out of order. In these games losing is frustrating and wining is exciting. If you were looking for a game to RP and become social then you came to the wrong place. The community is what it is...and it fits.

• TotemthumperTotemthumper Member UncommonPosts: 23

There is nothintg wrong with the community in LoL, make friends with people play games with people on your friends list block douche bags.The game is a ton of fun. If your new stick to easy camps to play learn the game first and move onto more challenging champs.It is a team game so if you die all you do is feed the other team.The game is actually easy mode stick together and slay nothing more to it in casual mode.Also report douche bag they actually will bann em.

• LimitationsLimitations Member UncommonPosts: 85

This game does have it's far share of tryhards, and haters. More than most gamnes. This isn't an mmorpg, it's a dota clone(Some-what), with mixed in mmo elements. LoL does not have a competitive scene.

Who said this won't be perfect after all we know what is right
    And the sounds of bodies clashing is enough to make them cry.
    You know this cannot be perfect even when it is feeling right.
    And the sound of bodies crashing echo through the night.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

i played it yesterday and i couldn't believe how bad it really was.  by far the worst community ever.  the chat box was filled with hate messages because i wasn't "feeding?"  sorry that i'm new to the game.  >.>   if there's anybody out there that wants to help a noob send me a PM.

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438

I must agree. I play almost exclusivley with friends now because of it. Heck, most of the time when im doing the best on my team the worst player on my team will say we are losing because of me.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LimitationsLimitations Member UncommonPosts: 85

Dan, i can send you a trial version of Heroes Of Newerth, best 30$ i have ever spent. You just gotta find the right people, i'll add you to the friends list, and play some games with you. :)

Who said this won't be perfect after all we know what is right
    And the sounds of bodies clashing is enough to make them cry.
    You know this cannot be perfect even when it is feeling right.
    And the sound of bodies crashing echo through the night.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JTJT Member Posts: 401

Originally posted by DanMcC

I felt the same way. — I'm thinking of paying for Heroes of Newerth.. but I heard the community there is just a bunch of soulless elitists.

I have beta tested both and my experience was worse in HoN than LoL.  Savage 2 was the same way.  Like others said, you need to join a group.  I'm just too old to put up with the BS.  They are great games though.

• 7Priest77Priest7 Member Posts: 1

The bottom line is

ALL LARGE MMOS COMMUNITIES SUCK....

More than 1000 players and either people don't talk or are rude...

PVP Games are worse in that people get mad when you get your ass killed too much...

It benefits the enemy in this game when you do shitty so they insult you to try to get you to do better...

At any rate if harmless tough love makes you cry stay off PVP games...

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

I played 1 game, that was enough for me to know that i will not have fun. I mean i was a noob since this was my first game but still they treat me like shit so i finish the game and unistall the game.

I play to have fun not to endure insult from immature moron.

• alltoreup21alltoreup21 Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Silok

I played 1 game, that was enough for me to know that i will not have fun. I mean i was a noob since this was my first game but still they treat me like shit so i finish the game and unistall the game.

I play to have fun not to endure insult from immature moron.

Smart. If you can't take a lil omfgrage, go back to pve games.

To the people a bit more patient that this guy: If you're playing as a lv 1, the game needs to find an approximate ELO rating. Give it a few games, it'll balance you against people (relatively) near your skill level. Understand that as you're learning, you will lose a lot. Find some buddies to queue with, and it gets much more fun.

For the record, "feeding" refers to getting killed excessively, giving extra gold/xp to the other team. Getting ganked is one thing, but watching a teammate run into obvious traps repeatedly is very aggravating.

This discussion has been closed.