Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

That's it, I quit City of Heroes, I've cancelled my subscription

Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I recently earned my 57 month veteran reward badge. That means that I weas subscribed to City of Heroes for nearly five years.

I love City of Heroes. I love being able to fly around, or jump really high, I love the different powers, the numerous amounts of costume sets, how I can make nearly any character I can imagine in the costume creator. The new Going Rogue expansion was awesome.

But I cannot, in good conscience, give Paragon Studios or NCSoft a single cent more of my money.

As of today, these guys have begun to reach Star Trek Online/Cryptic Studios level of pathetic by selling a pack of emotes.

So, I've cancelled my subscription and I'll put a huge "DO NOT BUY" stamp on the game. I recommend that everyone avoids this stinker.

Comments

• FishbaitzFishbaitz Member Posts: 229

Wait, you are quiting the game not because of gameplay issues, not because of the price, not because lack of enjoyment, but because they decided to sell some purelyfluff and barely cosmetic emotes that you will probably hardly ever see?

Cash shop purist?

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

If you don't play MMOs that have microtransactions, you basically won't be playing MMOs. But hey, it's your 15, do what you want. I'll admit the packs rub me the wrong way too. You used to get the whole game for $15 a month, but the wedding pack changed all that. The entire MMO sector is going this route, that's all there is to it.

But look on the bright side: game's one step closer to F2P. ;)

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

You are making it so you don't play a game you love because they sell something that is purely cosmetic in the cash shop? Thats entirely your loss when you can't find another game to play that you enjoy.

• IgorchtIgorcht Member UncommonPosts: 82

Um....

You're late to the party there, chief....

https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl?dnv=5596711552&action=toggleCategory&category=2

The section right below the Going Rogue games. They've been selling emotes and costume packs for.... certainly over a year now. Heck, some of the emote/costume packs even come with temporary powers. These are generally not game breaking; a slightly faster, cooler look sprint at level 4 or so from the Natural pack, a random very minor self buff with a chance to be a crippling debuff from the Science pack, a Self-Destruct power that does insane damage (but obviously kills you) from the Cyborg pack, and the option to change your body type/gender at the Tailor in the Science pack.

These have been in game for a while. I own exactly none of them. My gameplay has been completey unaffected. While I find item shops in P2P games distasteful, I can tolerate them as long as they don't significantly impact gameplay. These, IMO, do not.

But seriously, at this point, what MMOs DON'T have cash shops? Warhammer Online, EVE Online, DarkFall, Fallen Earth, and Age of Conan are the only games that spring to mind without one. So there you go, play one of those.

Also, like I said,  welcome to about three years ago. I think that's when the first pack was introduced.

Incidentally, these are far less game-breaking (read, they don't break the game at all) than the crap Cryptic puts in CO and STO, and, ever since Cryptic sold CoH to NCSoft, the quality of content has been of exponentially higher quality.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the Magic pack gives you a power that will provide an ally with a random buff. These are all positive efffects with no chance of backfire. I don't own the pack, a lot of people do, so I end up benefiting from the money other people spend as opposed to the other way around in most MMOs with cash shops. :P

"I am the weapon that strikes/In the hearts of men I thrive/Feeding their fear with lies/I will devour/I will divide/I am the god of hellfire/inside every man there lives a liar/before their gods they cower/I will divide/I will devour" - "Divide Devour" by Iced Earth

• EmoqqboyEmoqqboy Member UncommonPosts: 194

Think you should be happy your 57 month veteran badge reward isnt for sale in the cash shop as well... emotes are inconsequential and dont affect the actual gameplay or how your char performs in combat at all... you should already thank god that they dont sell final gear upgrade items in the cash shop which forces everyone to buy em with cash or contend with 2nd best gear/skills etc.

<QQ moar plz. kkthxbai.>

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Fishbaitz

Wait, you are quiting the game not because of gameplay issues, not because of the price, not because lack of enjoyment, but because they decided to sell some purelyfluff and barely cosmetic emotes that you will probably hardly ever see?

Cash shop purist?

Actually, I'm not a cash shop purist. I bought a few of the booster packs they put out because they had some pretty cool costume pieces.

Paragon Studios has been really good about releasing a lot of stuff in the issues they put out. But it seems to me that lately there has been less and less stuff in the issues and more and more stuff in the packs they want you to pay for. I love City of Heroes and I'd really hate for them to cross the line into Cryptic territory. One reason I refuse to ever pay for STO is because their C-Store is just a whole new level of greedy (they have nearly $200 worth of stuff in there and that game has been out for ~7 months.)

I refuse to support NCSoft or Paragon Studios in their descent into greed. This newest pack just feels like they've crossed a line, and I just don't want to be a part of it.

If people ask, I'll no longer recommend this game, I'll no longer subscribe to it, I'll be leaving it behind.

Seriously, though, and I don't mean to spam this thread, but how could he have gone 57 months and not known about the item packs that started in February 2008? Did he not go to the website, or look at the launcher, or read any of the patch notes, or any of the pop ups that show up when you first log in to the game after a major update?

EDIT: Made this post before your latest reply. I'm surprised you're surprised. I knew they would continue with these kinds of packs. It seemed inevitable. I personally find it strange that the emote pack angers you more than the packs that actually provide in-game statistical benefits. I really don't give a crap if there's emotes I can't have unless I buy them.... they're... well, emotes.

They're still nowhere near Cryptic levels of greed, and I think Positron actually said that the money from the packs has greatly facilitated content development. The sheer quality of content they put out is leaps and bounds ahead of anything Cryptic can puke up. I don't think what they're doing, in general, is anywhere near Cryptic levels of bullcrap.

They've still given us a number of free costume pieces with each update, and as I said, I feel that the quality of the content we're getting is fantastic. I do agree they're a bit light on content sometimes, but I don't feel like costume pieces, etc, are what's missing from the updates.

"I am the weapon that strikes/In the hearts of men I thrive/Feeding their fear with lies/I will devour/I will divide/I am the god of hellfire/inside every man there lives a liar/before their gods they cower/I will divide/I will devour" - "Divide Devour" by Iced Earth

Originally posted by OSF8759

If you don't play MMOs that have microtransactions, you basically won't be playing MMOs. But hey, it's your 15, do what you want. I'll admit the packs rub me the wrong way too. You used to get the whole game for $15 a month, but the wedding pack changed all that. The entire MMO sector is going this route, that's all there is to it.

But look on the bright side: game's one step closer to F2P. ;)

Actually, it seems like CCP isn't going to go this route with EVE Online. I picked up a copy for $1.99 on Steam a few months back, so I'm thinking that maybe they deserve my $15 per month.

I don't think CoH needs to go free to play, they probably still make quite a bit of money on subscriptions, and they do constantly upgrade the game so it stays in the first tier of MMORPGs (Going Rogue does stuff with the game that hasn't been done with any MMO before, it's still going strong.) So saying "CoH should go free to play" is kinda like saying "WoW should go free to play." Put it in the "never gonna happen" file.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Xondar123
    I recently earned my 57 month veteran reward badge. That means that I weas subscribed to City of Heroes for nearly five years.
    I love City of Heroes. I love being able to fly around, or jump really high, I love the different powers, the numerous amounts of costume sets, how I can make nearly any character I can imagine in the costume creator. The new Going Rogue expansion was awesome.
    But I cannot, in good conscience, give Paragon Studios or NCSoft a single cent more of my money.
    As of today, these guys have begun to reach Star Trek Online/Cryptic Studios level of pathetic by selling a pack of emotes.
    So, I've cancelled my subscription and I'll put a huge "DO NOT BUY" stamp on the game. I recommend that everyone avoids this stinker.

Luckily for you, DC Universe is shaping up very nicely.

You probably would resub and not miss much in the way of character creation and gameplay.

• ManarixManarix Member UncommonPosts: 98

Why everyone thinks selling fluffy items seperate from the already existing monthly payment is fine, is beyond me.

Currently playing browser games. Waiting for Albion Online, Citadel of Sorcery and Camelot Unchained.
    Played: almost all MMO pre 2007

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Originally posted by Manarix

Why everyone thinks selling fluffy items seperate from the already existing monthly payment is fine, is beyond me.

Because it doesn't affect the gameplay whatsoever. You still get the game you payed for.

Originally posted by Igorcht

Um....

You're late to the party there, chief....

https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl?dnv=5596711552&action=toggleCategory&category=2

*snip*

Incidentally, these are far less game-breaking (read, they don't break the game at all) than the crap Cryptic puts in CO and STO, and, ever since Cryptic sold CoH to NCSoft, the quality of content has been of exponentially higher quality.

I know all this, I just feel that a pack with 8 emotes for $8 is crossing the line into greedsville. Those other packs came close to that line, but I felt they didn't cross it until now.

It seems like NCSoft and Paragon Studios are starting to adopt the "let's nickel and dime 'em!" business model that makes me hate Cryptic Studios so much.

Originally posted by Panther2103

Because it doesn't affect the gameplay whatsoever. You still get the game you payed for.

Yeah, well I paid $15 a month for over 57 months so they could develop these things and then try to sell them back to me.

Because they're fluffly items that have no impact on game play. While I don't particularily like it, it does not impede gameplay in any way, so it doesn't really bother me. Now, if they start selling enhancements, powersets, archetypes, etc, in the shop, I will rage just as angrily and loudly as the next person.

Whoops, this was meant to be in reply to panther, clicked the wrong button.

Yeah, well I paid $15 a month for over 57 months so they could develop these things and then try to sell them back to me.

*shrug* well, if you feel that way, I won't argue, since it's fair enough. I personally don't care if they have eighty thousand emote and costume packs, as long as they still give us some for free (which they do) and the packs do not have a profound effect on gameplay. That's just me, though.

• bronzeroninbronzeronin Member Posts: 89

We also get several items in the issues when the roll out and those are free.  I think that some of the item packs are cool and might get the robots one for my bots MM sometime this year finally but I am getting it just to have some more options for the tailor.  As long as they keep the stuff to fluff, lol, I am still playing but if you start to sell other stuff witch I don't think they will I don't see a problem even if the new pack has only emotes in it, I don't care to buy them to me that would be a waste but if it has tailor stuff then I would have to see what the tailor items are but to each his own and if people quit over this they may find it hard to find a game soon that is not doing this because I think it going to become more common to see in games.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Originally posted by popinjay

Luckily for you, DC Universe is shaping up very nicely.

You probably would resub and not miss much in the way of character creation and gameplay.

Perhaps, but I would point out that EQ and EQ2 both have item shops now IIRC. SWG and VG do not, so if that's anything to go by there's a 50/50 shot for DCUO having an item shop.

EDIT: Unless, of course, they've expressly said there will not be one. I haven't heard anything either way on the topic as it pertains to DCUO.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

There should be more people like you, OP.

• FishbaitzFishbaitz Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by Fishbaitz

Cash shop purist?

Actually, I'm not a cash shop purist. I bought a few of the booster packs they put out because they had some pretty cool costume pieces.

Paragon Studios has been really good about releasing a lot of stuff in the issues they put out. But it seems to me that lately there has been less and less stuff in the issues and more and more stuff in the packs they want you to pay for. I love City of Heroes and I'd really hate for them to cross the line into Cryptic territory. One reason I refuse to ever pay for STO is because their C-Store is just a whole new level of greedy (they have nearly $200 worth of stuff in there and that game has been out for ~7 months.)

I refuse to support NCSoft or Paragon Studios in their descent into greed. This newest pack just feels like they've crossed a line, and I just don't want to be a part of it.

If people ask, I'll no longer recommend this game, I'll no longer subscribe to it, I'll be leaving it behind.

So, you draw the line at the purely optional no gameplay benefit $8 emote pack, wheras other games charge up to 50 dollars for a guild name change or 20 for that gaudy pony in WoW. Is it really so bad that they offer something for people to buy at a fairly low price that has no mechanical and little visual impact on the game? I mean, you arn't even against cash shops in general, so you're not against it on principal. I can understand not liking NCSoft, a lot of people don't, but Paragon Studios, the people who made such a wonderful game that you greatly enjoyed and was a fairly unique MMO in the genre dominated by fantasy and minored in Sci-fi.

I just don't get some people...

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

you are just contradicting yourself now "I love City of Heroes. I love being able to fly around, or jump really high, I love the different powers, the numerous amounts of costume sets, how I can make nearly any character I can imagine in the costume creator. The new Going Rogue expansion was awesome."

So which is it you are happy with the game and its awesome or they have been misusing the money you paid them to use their services?

Seriously, though, and I don't mean to spam this thread, but how could he have gone 57 months and not known about the item packs that started in February 2008? Did he not go to the website, or look at the launcher, or read any of the patch notes, or any of the pop ups that show up when you first log in to the game after a major update?

EDIT: Made this post before your latest reply. I'm surprised you're surprised. I knew they would continue with these kinds of packs. It seemed inevitable. I personally find it strange that the emote pack angers you more than the packs that actually provide in-game statistical benefits. I really don't give a crap if there's emotes I can't have unless I buy them.... they're... well, emotes.

They're still nowhere near Cryptic levels of greed, and I think Positron actually said that the money from the packs has greatly facilitated content development. The sheer quality of content they put out is leaps and bounds ahead of anything Cryptic can puke up. I don't think what they're doing, in general, is anywhere near Cryptic levels of bullcrap.

They've still given us a number of free costume pieces with each update, and as I said, I feel that the quality of the content we're getting is fantastic. I do agree they're a bit light on content sometimes, but I don't feel like costume pieces, etc, are what's missing from the updates.

I kinda thought that they had a modicrum of pride left in their work that they wouldn't feel they had to cross over into the greed side of the force. I thought they'd be like CCP and be one of those final companies that doesn't give into to the microtransaction corporate culture. I'm very sad that my faith was misplaced and I was wrong.

I was fine when they sold a (substantial) costume pack for about $10 twice a year. But now they are ramping up the number of packs, lowering the number of items in them and raising the prices.

Look at what was included in the Magic booster pack: http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Super_Booster_II:_Magic You get all that for $10. Look at what was in the Martial Arts pack: http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Super_Booster_IV:_Martial_Arts This pack has much less stuff in it and it costs the same amount as the Magic pack. This newest pack is 8 emotes for $8. What a load of crap.

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

People with principles and sticking with it are a rare species on this planet.

I applaud you for this op.

(If everybody would do this the whole greedy nickle and diming the industry is up to lately would soon be a thing of the past).

-snip- since it's becoming an unwieldly quote pyramid of doom

I kinda thought that they had a modicrum of pride left in their work that they wouldn't feel they had to cross over into the greed side of the force.

Heh, well, I wish I could be that optimistic sometimes, but on the plus side, I'm rarely seriously disappointed, and once in a while I'm pleasantly surprised.

• ManarixManarix Member UncommonPosts: 98

Originally posted by Seffren

(If everybody would do this the whole greedy nickle and diming the industry is up to lately would soon be a thing of the past).

Amen. 

Currently playing browser games. Waiting for Albion Online, Citadel of Sorcery and Camelot Unchained.
    Played: almost all MMO pre 2007

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

I find the reason your quitting a little ridiculous..Then again I have never had an issue with game developers selling fluff items on the side. 

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon