Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010, spent $ on? Also any regrets?

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

I will start:

Jan/Feb -$20 (Tried EVE 1 month) (no regret)

March/April - $15 or 30 (Returned to WOW) (no regret)

May-June - $20 (on F2P Battle of Immortals during promotion) (regret big, since I was trapped to spend more)

End of July - $65 (Purchased SC2) (regret) I rushed thinking there will be channels. I was wrong

End of August -$15 (Returned to Aion for a month) (no regret) since Il at least see 2.0, but I doubt Il continue

Total: $135

Now I just play Counter Strike Source on a warcraft server... I am curious if someone failed more or less than me through this abyssmal year.

Comments

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

$15/mo + $40 for expac spent on EQ2.  no regrets.

$30 spent on Mass Effect 2 - 30 hours playtime.  no regrets.

$5 spent on DDO, no longer play but no regrets.

$20 spent on a questionable beta code for potential Rift beta which hasn't yielded a beta invite.  - kinda second-guessing it now, but who knows, might still turn out.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

2010 gaming expenditures thus far:

Dragon Age DLCs    $45   No regret but stopped buying them when I realized DLCs are a sub in disguise.

Mass Effect 2             $50   No regret but I never, ever finish single player RPGs!

STO (Beta)                 $5     Bought a beta key off some website. Regret! I want my $5 back!!!

Torchlight                   $20   No regrets - fun game

AoC 3 mos + RoGS  $75  Partial regret. Spent 1st month getting to 80 and skipped the last 2 months (Grind of the Godslayer)

Lotro 3 month            $45  No regret - solid MMO just got sick of the high fantasy

CoX/GR (Steam)      $50  No regret - 124 hours played in a month! Got 3 free months from when TR went under so free till Dec!

Total                           $290

Add another $50 for DCU in Dec and were talking $340. All that cash for a bunch of pixels on a screen...

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

Spent over a 1000 on Atlantica Online...then I realized what a tool i was so I issued a chargeback lol

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312

I don't recal what months I did what but in 2010 I spent:

• Mortal Online: ~$60.00 (big regret) -  Got a refund through the bank though.

• APB: $50.00 (regret)  - Didn't end up being worth the box value.

• WoW: $45.00 - no regrets really.  It was what it was.

• DFO: ~$50.00 - regret.  Long boring grind fest imo.

• Pox Nora: $60.00 - huge regret!  What was I thinking...  I got caught up in buying new runes.  It was fun for what it was though, I just wish I wouldn't have dumped so much into it.

• SCII: ~60.00 - no regrets.  I didn't rush through this game.  I played a mission or two here and there and still haven't beat it yet.  Got my money's worth.

• EQII Sentinals Fate: ~$80.00 (collectors edition) - ehhh kinda regret it.  I'm an EQ fan so I have to buy their stuff just for the sake of purchasing it (yeah, I know it's bad).  My only regret was my fiance didn't continue playing along with me.  I only ended playing to 73 I think.  Three levels into the new cap.

Total: ~$350.00

For the most part it was a slow year for me.  I will end up spending another two hundred or so by the time it is all said and done.  I'm waiting on the collector's edition of FFXIV (using open beta as a demo if I can), the new CoD will be out so I'll buy that, and maybe one or two more.

• FFXIV collectors edition 80.00

• CoD 60.00

Total: ~490.00 

I'm not in the mood to search for the games of 2009 but I'm guessing I spent probably double that in 09 with the console games and expansions.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Let's see. I don't remember exact months or costs, but I do remember each game I bought, tried, played.

Bought Eve from Bestbuy for about 30-40 bucks, quit after free time, loved atmosphere and setting, not the gameplay - NO REGRETS (it helped expand my horizons and see what can be done in MMORPGs)

Subbed off and on to EQ2 - NO REGRETS until this last time when they changed the UI and spell graphics - BIG REGRET

Subbed off and on to WoW - No REGRETS

Bought Age of Conan expansion Rise of the Godslayer - quit after a week, BIG REGRET, waste of time and money

Bought Aion to see if people were right...they were - Big Regret

Subbed to Vanguard for a bit - NO Regrets

Bought Lifetime sub to LOTRO - so far...NO Regrets but it's in a holding pattern until they start patching CONTENT again, once we get passed this FTP bump in the road

Bought Guild Wars Trilogy after swearing it off years ago at launch. I must have learned how to accept things since then because now it's FUN - No Regrets

Bought CoD:MW2 for PS3 - No Regrets

Bought the map packs for PS3 CoD:MW2 - Big Regrets, since they cost far too much and I don't play the game now since I've got GW and soon FFXIV to take up my time. On top of the fact that a new CoD is coming out in a few months and the Medal of Honor franchise has always been my fav. and will be the FPS to replace any I've gotten so far.

Sorry bout that last one, but spending 30 bucks on 2 map packs for only a few months worth of content, barely at that since, half the maps are recycled from older games, really ticked me off.

Starcraft 2 - Big Regret, I'm not very good at it and I am even worse at PVP and playing it online. I just want the setting and atmosphere but in an MMO setting. Ah well, at least I know not to buy the next 2 installments.

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

Hmm, tough to remember everything.

No Regrets list:

• Resubbed to WoW for 2 months at the beginning of the year.   Played with RL friends, had fun with them, but WotLK is just not for me.  Got tired of Dungeon Queueing.

• Resubbed to City of Heroes 2 months.  Still love that game.

• Resubbed to Vanguard one month.  Fun, population still an issue.

• Resubbed to Eve for one month.

• Bought Tropico 3

• Bought Trine.

• Bought Torchlight.

• Bought Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines.

• Bought Left 4 Dead 2.

• Bought Call of Duty: MW2.

• Bought Magic the Gathering: Planewalker.

• Bought Global Agenda.

• Bought APB.

• Bought Fallen Earth and subbed for 2 months.

• Pre-ordered FFXIV

• Bought Dark Siders

• Bought Fable 2.

• Pre-ordered Halo Reach.

• Renewed year subscription for Dofus. (almost forgot this one.)

• Year subscription to Xbox live gold.

• $10 in Allods store

• $5 in League of Legends store

• $5 in Regnum store.

Regrets:

• Pre-ordered Xyson.

• Bought Mortal Online.

• Bought Darkfall.

I have no idea on money amounts.  Some of those were deals on Steam so the price was drastically reduced.  Some I got vouchers for in the Microsoft Company store for practically nothing.  Some I paid for price for.

I already had a lifetime sub to LOTRO so it's always my fallback and a great one at that. 

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Think all I paid for this year was:

Torchlight - disappointed, played it for a few hours the first night and didn't like the controls/gameplay so never logged into it again. Guess that is the regrets category. Strange too because I couldn't get enough of Diablo I back in the day.

CoD MW2 360 - Definetly got my money's worth out of this one. However, the reset to reach max rank burned me out. Simply because I didn't do any cheap things to get the achievements so some of them were very hard to get and to have them reset when I reset rank was too much. Like 2 kills 1 bullet, it was a miracle I got that in the first place since two people on the other team tried to cross by each other in front of a window and I got a sniper round through both of their heads.  I would go back to playing this but now there's DLC maps and I'm guessing you need those for multiplayer.

SC2 - Not sure if it was worth the full cost but I have had fun with it. Got repetitive quicker then I expected as I spent so much time with the original without ever getting bored.

AC sub - Always worth the money.

I just don't spend anywhere near as much as I used to on games, I don't find enough of them interesting enough these days.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Don't remember prices, but here's what I remember getting:

Don't Regret:

• Torchlight

• Fallout 3

• Left 4 Dead 2

• Bioshock 2

• Red Dead Redemption

• CoD:MW 2

Regret:

• WotLK (tried jumping back into WoW and was bored again within a week)

I'm really close to plunking money down on CoH. I just need to find a super group.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

CoD MW2 - loved it until hackers became too much to bear. When I realized I was happy because there was only ONE person hacking, I knew I'd had enough. No real regrets, got tons of fun (and equal frustration) outta the game.

Mass Effect 2 - Unreal. 1st game I've ever played through twice. Thinking about #3 tbh. NO regrets!!!

Dragon Age - Loved it so much I bought "Awakening"...and that blew it for me. The "Expansion Pack" was nothing more than a user created Mod could do. Mixed review as DA was well worth every cent, DA:A wasn't worth $5.

STO - I'm retarded

Split Second - Looked fun to play with my kids...was totally correct! Loved it.

Splinter Cell <whatever> - Meh.

Borderlands + DLC - Loved it, still play from time to time

I have a slew of other games as well, but these are the highlights.

• MithiosMithios Member Posts: 271

Fallout 3, game of the year eddition (all the expansions, and I added some realism, weapons addition mods, etc..). The only game out that impressed me enough to spend money on. I'm still playing it three months later and still loving it. I will play Vegas when it comes out and probably check out Rift.

A tiny mind is a tidy mind...

• BMoorBMoor Member Posts: 202

I use Mint.com to keep track of purchases:

Jan - $27.00 on sotnw/Sword2 - no regrets.

Feb - $29.82 Endless Ocean: Blue World - Not a MMO but still a game.  No regrets and spent at least 30 hours playing it (as recorded in the diving logs)

Jul - $22.50 on sotnw/Sword2 - no regrets.  It was fun the first time and my "gold" was dwindling so I restocked.  Still playing at least 2 hours a weeknight and more on the weekends on this.

Total on games: $79.32

Games are so much cheaper than the other forms of entertainment I've spent this year such as movie theatres, restaurants, museums, etc.  Still, it's unhealthy to be sitting so much.

Will probably spend another $25 on sotnw/Sword2 before the year is over.

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

Regret

WotLK was hoping would be worth the 40 bucks... I was wrong.

STO may be the worst 50 bucks I've ever spent and I saw Howard the Duck in the theatre... Glad I held off on the CE.

No Regret list

Fallen earth - Great game, not alot of end game, kind of hit a wall if you don't pvp much, but cool.

Sims 3- guilty at work pleasure, I blame my wife.

NWN 2- Great game, wasn't all that keen on the expansions, but core game was good.

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

I very very carefully disect video games before I buy. Reviews (if its been out), Word of mouth, Hype, Graphix, story etc. Usually what I buy is all the Mainstreem titles like. Final Fantasy, Gear's of War, WoW  etc. So I can't really go wrong.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I haven't spent much at all this year on gaming.

Divinity 2- 49.99 (no regret) Though I stopped playing eventually and never finished.

ME2- 49.99 (no regret)

DA-O- 49.99 It was okay, a little to slow IMO though (no regret)

A month sub to AOC 14-99 (no regret) was fun for a diversion.

Other than that I still play Oblivion and Fallout 3 regularly, don't touch any of these at all at this point. Oh, and I finally beat The Witcher, bought it last year and never really played until a month ago, great game.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

For me, this was a year to broaden my education a little and try a few of the iconic games.

DDO $0: nostalgic fun, but as a solo player who enjoys wandering a shared world, as I neared the for-pay content I felt like I was falling behind the power curve and pushing against the limitations of the D&D ruleset.  I eventually reached a point where I decided I had found all the fun the game had to offer me.

LotRO $0: played the trial version, liked it a lot, was actually on the brink of buying a lifetime subscription but I couldn't get the full game to install properly on my computer so balked at the last minute.

City of Heroes: $0: played the trail, fun but not quite fun enough to hook me

WoW: trial+expansions+6 months: ~$150: the way people talk about this game, I am reminded of a frustrated farmer's bumber sticker: "Eat Canadian lamb, 10,000 coyotes can't be wrong".  The world itself hooked me - the detail and texture made just wandering and exploring a joy and at first I was actually a little annoyed that I kept running into monsters.  But slowly but surely, I got ahead of the game, built myself up, found a fishing rod and and a fresh mousepad and five titanium seals later, I had levelled four characters to 80 and was on the brink of a 5th when I set down at my computer one evening and suddenly, out of the blue, decided "I'm done".

So I find myself between games at the moment ... my creative energy is bubbling and my gut grumbles that I've been playing other peoples' worlds too long and that I need are tools for adding life to my own.  Alas, I'm short about $100 million for a subscription to that game.