Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Guy Question.

Well I decided to finally leave WoW. Just isn't my cup of tea, anymore. They are simplyfing the game way too much.

I've tried Age of Conan before but my old computer wouldnt run it past the starting area. However my new computer can run any game so all is good =). However my internet still sucks. I don't have dial up but it is still slow. I was able to play in WoW without serious lag issues besides Dalaran and Wintergrasp. I always have a little lag though but it's like in miliseconds, and never affected my combat in WoW but i had addons in that game that compensated for latency. I guess i just wanted to check to see if Age of Conan needed a higher speed connection then WoW and if it's playable with a slow ethernet connection since the combat is more "real time".

What is reality, besides the manifestation of our imagination and beliefs?

Comments

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

Hmm, not so sure...but

You could always download the free trial and try the game out for yourself to see if it works. If you connection is to slow to download, borrow or just get the dual game pack as cheap as possible somewhere close.

Tip: Download is at least 15 GB, so consider that also in how you get it.

www.ageofconan.com/trial

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by Destiny2010

You could always download the free trial and try the game out for yourself to see if it works. If you connection is to slow to download, borrow or just get the dual game pack as cheap as possible somewhere close.

www.ageofconan.com/trial

oddly enough the last time I tried the game I found it quicker to DL the entire game rather than install from the box.

I miss DAoC

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

You can find the game disc for $10 or so and it comes with a free month. Still, the trial download is free just takes awhile. 

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

[mod edit]

PVE is all age of conan truly has at the moment.

PVP is incrediby horrid, there is basicly just one pvp mini game that you some times have to wait for ever to do and its not that interesting of a MAP.

Sieges are a still a Lag Fast.

Crafting is horrible, with 99% of the stuff you craft worthless . You can craft anywhere as well which makes cities dead as well as guild cities, theres not much comunity. You never go to a city and see tons of people.

All areas are instanced, its not seamless so if load screens dont bug you go ahead.

But the combat mechanism is second to none and the dungeon designs are cool.

For me I need a seamless world with something else then just running the same end game raids to get equipment.

• JenadaraJenadara Member Posts: 95

Originally posted by Jackdog

Originally posted by Destiny2010

www.ageofconan.com/trial

oddly enough the last time I tried the game I found it quicker to DL the entire game rather than install from the box.

Perhaps you need to upgrade your hard drive or CPU.

• JenadaraJenadara Member Posts: 95

I have a slow cable connection as well and open zone PVP was rough.  Closed PVP was good as well as raids, but if you wanna PVP in open areas, it might be frustrating.  That was a few months ago tho before the expansion.

• idlehandsidlehands Member Posts: 8

I have a question about the same game, I downloaded the trial and I have highspeed internet but I am unsure what kind of graphics card I have. Anyway, the screen flashes like crazy sometimes and crashes my computer or if it does work, the movements are very jerky and weird. Thanks for any help you can provide :)

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by idlehands

I have a question about the same game, I downloaded the trial and I have highspeed internet but I am unsure what kind of graphics card I have. Anyway, the screen flashes like crazy sometimes and crashes my computer or if it does work, the movements are very jerky and weird. Thanks for any help you can provide :)

Hey there, sounds like you might not have a compatible graphics card.

Are you playing on a laptop or desktop PC and are you able to find out the name of your graphics card?

Thank you, I kind of figured that I am playing on a laptop. I just bought, it's refurbished and I do not know what kind of graphics card it has, how can I find out? What would you recommend. I am a total computer noob

Thank you, I kind of figured that I am playing on a laptop. I just bought, it's refurbished and I do not know what kind of graphics card it has, how can I find out? What would you recommend. I am a total computer noob

Hey, best thing to do is find out what you have first. If you have Windows Vista to find out your graphics card

click the start button

go to Control Panel

underneath the Appearance and Personalization heading, select Adjust screen resolution.

Should bring a picture up similar to this:

In this example the graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT your Laptop may say something similar or it may say ATI and then the card model #.

Yes I found it thank you for your help. This is what I have: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M 

I don't know anything about these. It's been about 5 years since I've actually owned a computer.

Yes I found it thank you for your help. This is what I have: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M 

I don't know anything about these. It's been about 5 years since I've actually owned a computer.

Happy to help, your graphics card should run Conan on a low to medium setting. Best next thing to do is update the driver on the graphics card. The particular card you have is typically made for business type laptops and is based on the mobile 8400 card (just the business version).

So moving on to updating the driver for it (which should result in better gaming performance (in all games) ) we just need to figure out what your operating system is. Whether it is 32bit or 64bit.

To do this if you do not know, just click Start, then then right click where it says Computer and then select Properties.

It should say somewhere on that screen whether 32 or 64 bit operating system.

If it is 32 bit follow this link to Nvidia website and download and install this driver and then reset your PC and try the game again: Windows 32 bit : http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-258.96-whql-driver.html

If it 64 bit operating system - same as above but use this link: http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-258.96-whql-driver.html

Alternatively to the above just visit here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us and select your system from the drop down menus OR : Option 2: Automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA products and click on the GREY Graphics Drivers

Once you have installed the latest driver remember to restart PC, try Conan again on a low setting and see if you get the flicker, if you do not try turning up some of the graphics settings to see if you have ok performance.

This would be the best start in solving your issues image

Thank you again, the only problem I ran into is that I have Windows XP not Vista. Is there a driver for that system for the 32bit? I'm checking the site but it's mostly Greek to me!

Thank you again, the only problem I ran into is that I have Windows XP not Vista. Is there a driver for that system for the 32bit? I'm checking the site but it's mostly Greek to me!

I am sorry :) Sure here is the link to the XP driver that is compatible with your notebook graphics card:  http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-winxp-258.96-whql-driver.html

Ah works much better now! Thank you so much I really appreciate your help.

No worries, it might not be perfect in running but it should be a little bit better.
    Hope game is fun for you. If you need any help just post up or send a message
    :)