Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Participate in the open beta test - Schedule

Comments

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

isn't weird we got the email, yet no code... so actually very few of us might even be in Open Beta... very odd goings on...

Final Fantasy XIV redefining what Open Beta actually is... which is either 1) open to all public [ie OPEN] 2) available to everybody who preordered or/and from some crappy subscription like fileplanet

hmm... be honest i thought they'd release the game much later in the year than planned... think they're worried about WoW's expansion (probably november) and the other MMO's incoming (isn't DCU out just after)

remember the last MMO that hit the panic button with things unfinished - WAR, ended up being 'very' successful and highly regarded with a superb game engine that could handle mass PvP (sorry, RvR) that they planned for..

-cough-

-splutter-

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

2am on Sept 1 GMT = 7pm on Aug 31 PDT (West Coast) = 10pm on Aug 31 EDT (East Coast)

I think central an hour before me so that would be 9pm on Aug 31

• SwinbanksSwinbanks Member Posts: 38

Dam its going to be a long night for me then having to wait up till 2am to be able to sign in to try and get a key.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by Kyroc

Nah, the email is just saying exactly whats on the main page, so when the server comes up you should be able to log in and your code gets emailed to you.

Stupid way of doing it in my opinion, there server is gonna be bombed with people trying to get their key

all part of the test, working as intended

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by describable

Final Fantasy XIV redefining what Open Beta actually is... which is either 1) open to all public [ie OPEN] 2) available to everybody who preordered or/and from some crappy subscription like fileplanet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Open_and_closed_beta

Nothing being redefined here. Open beta simply means they invite complete communities without restrictions. If they invited trough Fileplanet this would mean every fileplanet user (or subscriber) would have access to it and that would still make it an open beta. 

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by moraelin

Umm..so why is there a code for Open Beta? Every OB I've ever played just needs a username and password. So we have to jump through hoops to get our exp nerfed after a couple of hours?

Cry more, nothing about open beta means "hey everyone on teh internet come play our game with nothing required"

Actually, that is exactly what an open beta means. Anything less is a closed beta, even if it is extended to a greater number of people towards the launch and even if the NDA is lifted. 

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by Shadewalker

Umm..so why is there a code for Open Beta? Every OB I've ever played just needs a username and password. So we have to jump through hoops to get our exp nerfed after a couple of hours?

Cry more, nothing about open beta means "hey everyone on teh internet come play our game with nothing required"

Actually, that is exactly what an open beta means. Anything less is a closed beta, even if it is extended to a greater number of people towards the launch and even if the NDA is lifted. 

Look at the post above. This clearly is not what it means. 

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

Originally posted by Coman

Look at the post above. This clearly is not what it means. 

I suggest you look at it yourself.

Specifically the bit in the linked Wiki article that reads "while open betas are to a larger community group, usually the general public".

• SwinbanksSwinbanks Member Posts: 38

Any 1 else having problems actually getting the downloader for the client to patch ?

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

its not a couple of hours that was caused by some mis caclationsin xp earned

Originally posted by Swinbanks

Any 1 else having problems actually getting the downloader for the client to patch ?

could alwasy get the one from fileplanet

no open beta can support everyone so open beta until they run out of keys or room

• CordenCorden Member UncommonPosts: 68

Getting a code is jumping through hoops? Oo    Just be glad it's not by invite only like many thought it would be.

• Dark_HUmarDark_HUmar Member UncommonPosts: 200

I am just speculating,

But isn't the email saying download Final Fantasy 14 Beta here ? I think everyone wll get a beta key or els they wouldn't make all those people download the open beta . (Correct me if I am wrong)

Yep. It took it all day and all night to get to 46.2% and now it seems to have just stopped moving for me. I wish I could figure out what the problem is.

• maxkill42maxkill42 Member UncommonPosts: 94

Got the email too but why does mine say

* The page will become accessible starting at 19:00 on Aug. 31, 2010.

Originally posted by Corden

Yep. It took it all day and all night to get to 46.2% and now it seems to have just stopped moving for me. I wish I could figure out what the problem is.

It's the launcher not you.

I just used uTorrent for the big files

After you run the launcher it's make torrent files in this folder:

DocumentsMy GamesFINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Versiondownloadsffxiv-betad96437e6metainfo

D2010.08.30.2000.torrent is the new 1.3gb patch file

H2010.08.10.2000.torrent is the old 3.5 gb patch file

The others just let the launcher download.

If you had the client before hand you just need D2010.08.30.2000.torrent

Once you have the file just copy it to:

DocumentsMy GamesFINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Versiondownloadsffxiv-betad96437e6patch

took me 2 hours or so for the 1.3 gb file

I have DSL, my max download 180kbs... so if you have faster connection you have in far less time.

Originally posted by maxkill42

mine does too, they forget the PDT part.

• TesinatoTesinato Member UncommonPosts: 222

Originally posted by lornphoenix

Originally posted by maxkill42

mine does too, they forget the PDT part.

I got one as well, same time, but i'm EDT, so I'm quite curious what the real time is.  Seems there might be some miscommuication at hand again. :(

Originally posted by lornphoenix

Originally posted by Corden

It's the launcher not you.
    I just used uTorrent for the big files
    After you run the launcher it's make torrent files in this folder:
    DocumentsMy GamesFINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Versiondownloadsffxiv-betad96437e6metainfo
    D2010.08.30.2000.torrent is the new 1.3gb patch file
    H2010.08.10.2000.torrent is the old 3.5 gb patch file
    The others just let the launcher download.
    If you had the client before hand you just need D2010.08.30.2000.torrent
    Once you have the file just copy it to:
    DocumentsMy GamesFINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Versiondownloadsffxiv-betad96437e6patch
    took me 2 hours or so for the 1.3 gb file
    I have DSL, my max download 180kbs... so if you have faster connection you have in far less time.

Thanks for the info man, using uTorrent is working much better. Oh, and I just moved and lost cable, so ironically my max download speed is the same as yours.

• bahamud70bahamud70 Member UncommonPosts: 40
  • TesinatoTesinato Member UncommonPosts: 222

Originally posted by bahamud70

time to dovnload ....i  mean?

Took me about 7 hours with the patcher, not doing torrents.  Just let it go and do something else, and it should finish before the open beta starts.

• bahamud70bahamud70 Member UncommonPosts: 40

but i dont andesten where we got the key ....just  log in acount of SE acount  or ....?

• Dark_HUmarDark_HUmar Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by bahamud70

but i dont andesten where we got the key ....just  log in acount of SE acount  or ....?

Everyone who registrated for Beta got a mail with the information in it. which is also given earlyer this topic.

• TbaismTbaism Member Posts: 12

Is there any way to register for beta now so that we can get this e-mail and get this code?

I recently came into FFXIV and I never applied for any previous beta. The launcher is downloaded, accounts were made on SE, but not entirely sure what to do now. Any clarification would be appreciated.