Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OB Was it a LIE!?

unknownunknown Member Posts: 12

Is this OB truly a OB or just a lie? becuase i dont see the option to download this game and neither can i add this game to my master account on square enix site. (yes i was not in CB)

So what is the deal here.....

Comments

• ioncannonioncannon Member Posts: 30

I honestly wish I knew, I'm in the same situtation. I'm was really hyped about the open beta because I wanted to see myself if it's the game for me, but if SE doesn't give me that chance I'm not gonna bother spending 75 bucks just to try it out.

• valrojrvalrojr Member Posts: 8

No.. it wasn't a lie, the beta launcher is everywhere to download. They are more likely wait till the open the OB to let people download the client, but you can also get it here

http://www.fileplanet.com/215249/210000/fileinfo/Final-Fantasy-XIV-Beta-Launcher

Which has also been on a lot of other sites, just dl it and let it update. But most mmo companys when they do a OB they generally wait till the last minute to release the client to the public, but SE has had 1 released since CB

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

If I have to sell my soul to get a key to try the game, then I'll just wait until they have trials for it.

• xcaliburxcalibur Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by EricDanie

If I have to sell my soul to get a key to try the game, then I'll just wait until they have trials for it.

Beta is not a trial.
  • DancerDancer Member Posts: 102

I don't think it's a lie, it's not not the 31st yet nor is it the 7 PM pacific time. SE always keeps things as quiet as they can.  This is a very anticipated game, world wide so be patient and just keep checking tomorrow closer to the time.  

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212

All the sites I've looked at on google say Sept 1st. So Wednesday.

• ioncannonioncannon Member Posts: 30

I'M ANGRY! HULK SMASH!!!

• ThanosxpThanosxp Member UncommonPosts: 177

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

• knapleknaple Member UncommonPosts: 56

The reason that it is not just given to everyone is because all people want to do is "try" the game out so they know if they are going to buy it or not. The point of the beta is to actually test the game and give feed back so that the game will be at its best when it opens. Good luck finding a way in (if your actually going to test).

~Knaple~

• DancerDancer Member Posts: 102

Agree.. this is a beta, not a free trial even though a lot of people are thinking of it as one. It's more than likely just a sever stress test. SE had been doing intensive internal testing of the game themselves so if and when they start handing out keys tomorrow, left and right, who knows how much content there will be there to "test".

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Didn't many FF people say they are sending out keys for this "open" beta?

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Originally posted by xcalibur

Beta is not a trial.

QFT

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Open Beta is not a trial and SE don’t not have any obligation to give you and invite 

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

Beta is not a trial.

Sure it is.  I was in the FP CB and was not given any way to bug or feedback.  I could read the beta forums but was not given posting privileges.  It was a trial.

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

Download it on fileplanet, you will be fine. Chill your cajones señor.  It is open beta, just at the beginning there will be queues, they are trying to stress test and they are starting that in small amounts as to not overload the servers. 

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Originally posted by svann

Beta is not a trial.

Sure it is.  I was in the FP CB and was not given any way to bug or feedback.  I could read the beta forums but was not given posting privileges.  It was a trial.

This, and the OB will not have forum access for feedback either.

Also, the fact that paying a subscription could get you a beta key doesn't look like a solid way of finding testers rather than people looking for trials, beta testing is a job.

Really not looking like a proper testing environment besides stress testing and perhaps gathering data on player activities to know what to focus development on (open beta) and with no NDA people will just start writing previews, trolling, etc.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by MisterSr

Download it on fileplanet, you will be fine. Chill your cajones señor.  It is open beta, just at the beginning there will be queues, they are trying to stress test and they are starting that in small amounts as to not overload the servers. 

Well this is funny, it's a STRESS test. So yeah, they want to overload their servers/network. lol

• DensetsiDensetsi Member Posts: 62

They already stated OB is only for those who have a key already and others will start receiving a key soon. The FFXIV site states that the open beta applications will start soon. (Source, visit it)

OB doesn't mean everyone gets in, it's more of a release on the information. For instance, in CB weren't suppose to post video's and whatnot about the beta, in OB those rules will be gone.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by yaminsux

Originally posted by MisterSr

Well this is funny, it's a STRESS test. So yeah, they want to overload their servers/network. lol

flooding the servers would be stupid, taking it slow and gathering data would actually be useful

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

With all this fuzz from SE its obvious that the main reason of this open beta is to promote the game in the western world..

If the game is truely good, open beta can be seen as a free trial and the best advertisement possible,

but if they really still have to test a lot of things so close to release, the game may expect some really bad weather.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Beta is not a trial.

open beta is.  get over it.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Definitions: Close Beta - Test client with a non disclosure agreement that tester will not discuss any aspect of the game outside of the testing community without express permission from the developers.

Open Beta - Test client without a non disclosure agreement. Testers can discuss anything and everything with anyone and everyone usually including video footage of the game and or screenshots.

Neither definition determines the actual number of people allowed to use the game client to access the game. That is strictly a developer decision based on what they want to test. IE open beta does not mean free for all anyone can get in...only that the NDA has been dropped. Most devs wish to stress test clients/servers/game world and thus they open the game up to anyone and everyone and see what happens. Other devs also use this as an oppurtunity to draw in people who might not purchase their game otherwise to let them see the game firsthand with the assumption that once they play it they will want to buy it.

From what I currently understand FFXIV is entering open beta (IE removal of the NDA) but with a limited set of keys (IE not completely open to the public). They will release probably tens of thousands of keys overall but not a complete free for all.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Terikan3

Beta is not a trial.

open beta is.  get over it.

No, its open beta, you just said that so the fact i have to say this is sad

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

its not a public beta, its invite only.

i didnt get an invite,  you dont see me soiling myself in anger.

ive ordered my ce from gamestop, i will play on the 22nd, i will enjoy myself.

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

Originally posted by knaple

The reason that it is not just given to everyone is because all people want to do is "try" the game out so they know if they are going to buy it or not. The point of the beta is to actually test the game and give feed back so that the game will be at its best when it opens. Good luck finding a way in (if your actually going to test).

This ended with the start of Beta three. Those invited at Beta 3 could not even post feedback or bug submissions on the boards or other mechanisms. At least no one I knew was able to.

Beta three was not a "beta" it was a stress/systems test. Stop saying it was a beta... everyone, stop. The moment it was available on Fileplanet the "internal" or bug bashing beta was over.

The whole testing the game for release... Sorry, I've blasted on about this before. If you are not on the payroll you are a load balancer, stress tester, forum complainer or product advocator. Not a beta (bug) tester.

All the feedback about guildleves, software mice, fatigue, yeah the P2/P3 beta testers sure impacted Square's decisions on those plans. Combat and UI changes occurred from Alpha to Beta when a majority of testing was done in house. I.E. Payroll testers.

When was the last time anyone was invited to beta (bug) test a single player game? Unless it's your real job. It doesn't happen, why? Because they pay people for that. You may get invited to a playtest that is not the same thing, and you fill out the questionnaire about game difficulty, usability, what you would change or add, etc...

Anyhow, my point is people who come into publicly accessible betas can trial the game if they want. Being in beta is not the privilege it once was, if it ever was.