Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Space flight only Star Wars

With such poor support for flight in SWTOR, would you play a Star Wars flight only MMO, so it played like X-Wing v Tie Fighter?

Comments

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by Quetos

With such poor support for flight in SWTOR, would you play a Star Wars flight only MMO, so it played like X-Wing v Tie Fighter?

No. If I want space flight only, there is already EVE and Black Prophecy/Jumpgate Evolution are coming out soon.

• Echo08Echo08 Member Posts: 55

Frankly,

I want both.  

• kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 304

There is so so so so......much more to Star Wars then just flight. if i wanted flight only MMO i would stick with Black prophecy and Jumpgate Evolution. A  flight only Star Wars MMO would be a very limited experince.

90% of haters are begging for love. 10% just want a little attention -- Paulo Coelho

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Sure, I would give it a try

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Not likely.  Why would you make a game like that an MMO?

Putting gameplay like that IN an MMO is one thing.  Making it THE MMO is another.

• agagaagaga Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by Echo08

Frankly,

I want both.  

Me too. And if a ramshackle, gimcrack outit like SOE can pull off a pretty good optional flight sim then it should not have been beyond Bioware/EA/LA. The fact that they understood the customers wanted a 'flight element' and then they went ahead and bolted on a kiddie's rail-game to the main game thinking that would be satisfactory is an ominous indicator of how they're going to approach other features like crafting, end-game and PVP.

• HypeHype Member CommonPosts: 270

Bioware understands that the number of people that care about spaceflight in an MMO are very small and that the few vocal Star Wars fans who love everything about the IP will play it anyway, whereas they would lose customers if they dulled or diluted or divided the game with a more robust space system. I don't like the decision either, but when you start calling a smart decision dumb, your bias starts to look like ignorance, and no one wants that.

I couldn't get down on a Space-flight only MMO, though an update to the X-Wing series utilizing the battles from the Prequel Trilogy coul be pretty frikkin awesome.

The Illusion of Choice

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

Why? It would be like EvE and I really don't like it. Believe me I really wanted to like it but to this day I just don't get why my friends enjoyed it.  To me it just lacked the "it" factor. Space flight was not really important enough in Star wars to warrant an mmo. Space was only there for a few space battle not for them to go wandering around the galaxy.

Originally posted by Hype

Bioware understands that the number of people that care about spaceflight in an MMO are very small and that the few vocal Star Wars fans who love everything about the IP will play it anyway, whereas they would lose customers if they dulled or diluted or divided the game with a more robust space system. I don't like the decision either, but when you start calling a smart decision dumb, your bias starts to look like ignorance, and no one wants that.

I couldn't get down on a Space-flight only MMO, though an update to the X-Wing series utilizing the battles from the Prequel Trilogy coul be pretty frikkin awesome.

If Bioware 'understands that the number of people that care about spaceflight in an mmo are very small' then they would not have desperately bolted on a gimcrack kiddie's rail-shooter to their game just months before launch.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

No i would not.

The Star Wars universe and lore offer so many options regarding races, worlds, wars and epic stories. Why on Earth would someone narrow this within the boundaries of a space flight only MMO?

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I'd rather have a SW mmo focus on the ground game tbh. Space has never been as important in Star Wars as what was happening on the ground / inside star ships.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

No too many games based on pure space flight in addition to those mentioned in the first response add Star Trek Online because any of the play outside of the ship sucks in that game.  Too many mmo's I can just fly around a ship in and then far too limited for an mmo I think in what you could/would possibly do at some point and time.  Then on top of that if I were to waste money and time on a Star Wars game with only space flight I would only gimp the chance of seeing TOR with a full space component at some future point.

I played and loved SWG and often sat in the spaceport day dreaming as I heard the engines roar overhead about the day when it would be my engine roaring in the skies and the feeling was gratifying for me all the way up to the launch of JTL now with what Bioware are doing I'll be able to have a taste of what a full on space element might be like and even better they have a chance to make an expansion with space elements so far better than what we got with JTL because they will have time to tweak and balance plan and change things as needed.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Originally posted by agaga

If Bioware 'understands that the number of people that care about spaceflight in an mmo are very small' then they would not have desperately bolted on a gimcrack kiddie's rail-shooter to their game just months before launch.

Space should be an enjoyable but small part of this experience at launch. If you want to call that "a bolted on gimcrack kiddie rail-shooter" then go ahead, but that's just flame-bait.

It's not hard to imagine why they want this to stay a small part of the game: they don't want people to spent a lot of time in it.

If you set out to make an epic ground game experience, but people spend a lot of their time in space (aka not in the PvE you designed, not in the PvP you made, not in the storyline you meticulously crafted,...) that is simply counter-productive to their goal.

It's like designing a game around world PvP only to have people spend their time in Battlegrounds.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Space should be an enjoyable but small part of this experience at launch. If you want to call that "a bolted on gimcrack kiddie rail-shooter" then go ahead, but that's just flame-bait.

It's not hard to imagine why they want this to stay a small part of the game: they don't want people to spent a lot of time in it.

If you set out to make an epic ground game experience, but people spend a lot of their time in space (aka not in the PvE you designed, not in the PvP you made, not in the storyline you meticulously crafted,...) that is simply counter-productive to their goal.

It's like designing a game around world PvP only to have people spend their time in Battlegrounds.

This.

I still don't understand why people are so upset over this. I think it is far better that Bioware focus on what they are good at and make the game the best damn Bioware game they possibly can. Space flight has nothing to do with their vision of the game... nor should it in my opinion.

• crockopoopoocrockopoopoo Member Posts: 119

No, I'd play SWG.

As much as people like to bash on it, it combines the best aspects of the space-combat sims with crafting/progression/social gameplay, and you can also go delve into the ground game whenever you want.

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

I cant say it really bothers me what kind of space combat there is. There is something in there and I am good with that. I never would have been interested in this game if it was a Space game. I was interested to go look at the planets and move on from there.

While i understand that many people are compairing this to SWG, people need to remember that SWG did not have any space flight to begine with, it was a X-pac itself. While the x-pac was fun for a small time i feel that most of my guild and friends quickly returned from space to play again.

• StormwindStormwind Member Posts: 60

I am not sure about this but ... The space thing is going to be like an instance dungeon or instance quest ?

Some lady asks  me to go find out why her Husband has not returned from a mining Trip .. I go to said Mine .. I am in the Mine Instance ..

I follow the path find monsters along the way .. bugs .. bats .. other Mine creatures to horrible to mention .. deep inside is her Dead husbands corpse ..all that is left is cloth and Bones ..

AND A NEW Light Sabre .. Whooot .. easy loot ...

OH OH ... what is that Noise ???   Enter BIG BAD BOSS Mine Bug.  I am dead ... just like her HUSBAND ... with His Light sabre NOW in my dead hands .. dern thing was broken.  Know Wonder he Died. 

OK .. so that is what space is like for us in the game ?  we go on a quest that sends us into Space ?   I see no problem with that Combat On rails event .. the cave or the Mine or any of the other Thousands of Instance events are basically going to be the same .. they will all have Limits .. We are in an Instance ...

BUT .. if the space is being sold as a Separate world ??  Well then YES .. it should not be put on Rails but be free to explore and die in just like the Rest of the Persistant Game world ..

So what way is it ?  I am not grasping This huge Hate to space in this game ...

Is the Hate because it is NOT a Perststant world or 

is it Hate that it  IS persistant, only Limited to scope and Freedom of Movement ? 

Look to the stars to know HE is with us. HE hung them as markers, of times and of seasons.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Originally posted by Stormwind

I am not sure about this but ... The space thing is going to be like an instance dungeon or instance quest ?

Some lady asks  me to go find out why her Husband has not returned from a mining Trip .. I go to said Mine .. I am in the Mine Instance ..

I follow the path find monsters along the way .. bugs .. bats .. other Mine creatures to horrible to mention .. deep inside is her Dead husbands corpse ..all that is left is cloth and Bones ..

AND A NEW Light Sabre .. Whooot .. easy loot ...

OH OH ... what is that Noise ???   Enter BIG BAD BOSS Mine Bug.  I am dead ... just like her HUSBAND ... with His Light sabre NOW in my dead hands .. dern thing was broken.  Know Wonder he Died. 

OK .. so that is what space is like for us in the game ?  we go on a quest that sends us into Space ?   I see no problem with that Combat On rails event .. the cave or the Mine or any of the other Thousands of Instance events are basically going to be the same .. they will all have Limits .. We are in an Instance ...

BUT .. if the space is being sold as a Separate world ??  Well then YES .. it should not be put on Rails but be free to explore and die in just like the Rest of the Persistant Game world ..

So what way is it ?  I am not grasping This huge Hate to space in this game ...

Is the Hate because it is NOT a Perststant world or 

is it Hate that it  IS persistant, only Limited to scope and Freedom of Movement ? 

We don't know everything yet and things could still change. But from what I understand, there will be a few quests that send you to a space encounter as a tutorial. Then it is your choice to continue with space combat quests or leave and never come back.

It will not be a part of the main game story at least at launch. It could change down the road. But it is just a side game, nothing more atm.

And no, I would not play a MMO with just space flight. STO anyone?

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Wouldn't be much of an MMO similat to STO not much of an MMO.

• KriosisKriosis Member Posts: 345

Insisting space combat was put together over night.

By the way, what are you saying? If a huge majority of SW, MMO, KOTOR, fans were into space combat BioWare would have put in what was demanded. Are you saying they put the tunnel shooter in to impress you? They didn't, game probably isn't for you, but you already know that. And I think we both know why you're still here.

Your post made no sense, nice try though.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

how do you know it wasn't planned from the begging or near the begging? yes i do think you are in the vast minority in demanding space exploration and extensive combat and acting like its such a vital part to a KOTOR MMO because it simply isn't.

space exploration and extensive space combat has never been a big part of their games and i don't see why it is Necessary now just to please some hardcore MMO gamers who want a sandbox game, a game SWTOR clearly isn't.

personally i would like to play a star wars MMO that had extensive space content but not in this game if it is going to take away from what bioware does best.

i just don't think it would be worth it to take away from the story content when you can have the story involved in space by doing it the way they are doing it.

so what you cant fly anywhere you want, there will be epic space battles that you will feel apart of which (to quote you) is very "star warsy" not space exploration which is not very "star warsy"

we get it, you want a sandbox star wars game, this game isn't going to be what you want....don't you think it is time to move on?

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

I think adding space flighti n this game was like a huge bonus. Like most other poeple the stuff happening on the ground will be what you want to see. I didn't think they would add space combat at the begining but they are going all out on this game. I would like to remind people that even most of the movies only focused on space combat at the begining or end  of the movies action, story and drama was on the ground. I think they could not have done it better!

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193

What they done for space is ok with me, now they need to add the old kotor pod race in an expand on it to.image

Originally posted by Kriosis

Insisting space combat was put together over night.

By the way, what are you saying? If a huge majority of SW, MMO, KOTOR, fans were into space combat BioWare would have put in what was demanded. Are you saying they put the tunnel shooter in to impress you? They didn't, game probably isn't for you, but you already know that. And I think we both know why you're still here.

Your post made no sense, nice try though.

Calm down. The arcade shooter Bioware has bolted on to this game was a direct response to calls by many potential subscribers for a 'space element' to SWTOR. We just did not expect it to be so simple or so unimaginative.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Shodanas

No i would not.

The Star Wars universe and lore offer so many options regarding races, worlds, wars and epic stories. Why on Earth would someone narrow this within the boundaries of a space flight only MMO?

The Star Wars universe and lore offers so many options why WOULD you exclude space?

Look at the movies.  The starships impact the Star Wars IP just as much as anything else, especially in the Original Trilogy, as well as major events taking place in space with the battles being THE major point of the movie.

Original Trilogy: Alphabet Fighters (X, Y, A, B-Wings), TIE series (regular, Interceptor, Vader's Advanced version, Bomber), Millenium Falcon, Lambda Class Shuttle, Imperial Star Destroyers, Mon Calamari Cruisers, Nebulon-B Frigates, Corellian Corvettes

Prequel Trilogy: Jedi Starfighter, Eta-2 Jedi Starfighter, Royal Naboo Starfighter, ARC-170, V-19, Invisible Hand (not sure cruiser class name), Venator Star Destroyer.

And that's just from the movie canon.

There are also the battles from the movies which were centerpieces for the movie:  Battles of Yavin, Hoth (known mostly for the ground assault, but the M.Falcon's escape is a major point), Endor, all represent the Original Trilogy.  For the Prequels, the battles for Naboo and Coruscant are the big fights.  You also have little skirmishes like Obi-Wan and Jango Fett's in Ep.II (which of course didn't help Obi-Wan's dislike of fighting in space).

Also, in regards to the Star Wars IP itself, you are talking about a civilization that has been living, travelling, and waging war in space for ages.  It's a natural thing for the people in Star Wars.  A squadron of X-Wings flying by, a fleet of Imperial Star Destroyers, a battle between the Empire & Rebellion, Republic & CIS, and all that, screams just as much Star Wars as flashing around a lightsaber or arcing lightning through the fingertips.  To NOT include a healthy dose of space, especially for an in depth game like an MMORPG set IN Star Wars, is folly.

Also, Star Wars gaming also used to rely heavily on space.  Rebel Assault from the early-mid 90s.  X-Wing series from early to late 90s.  Rogue Squadron series from late 90s to early 2000's.  It's fine to run around as a Jedi and all that, but Star Wars fans have also wanted to jump into the cockpit of their favorite Star Wars ship also.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)