Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or is MMO-Business in a calm?

HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

I love MMOs since Meridian 59... did'nt expect they get more and more popular. When you exclude 'Age of Conan' - what you obviously can - 2008, 2009 and 2010 no MMO of quality has been released.

"... MMO-Business in a calm?"

Stay constructive. Regards.

Comments

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

I agree, after WoW no other MMO managed to get my attention. But it seems things are going to change soon enough...

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by crunk001

I love MMOs since Meridian 59... did'nt expect they get more and more popular. When you exclude 'Age of Conan' - what you obviously can - 2008, 2009 and 2010 no MMO of quality has been released.

Why exclude AoC when it is considered one of the biggest fails in the MMOs?

There have been several better and more succesfull MMOs released during that time.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

i think the MMORPG is dying

we are now headed to the SPORPG era (single player online role playing game) with SW:TOR and GW2 where the main focus is your character where YOU are the hero and everything is centered around YOU and YOUR choices

• DancerDancer Member Posts: 102

I agree, it is in a calm and seems like it has been for about 5 years but having played MMO's for a long time, it seems there is a normal ebb and flow of this industry.  MMO's are really expected to be enjoyed long term, to socialize and to allow the experience to grow. The amount of years it takes to release a MMO's from conception to release is not a short term event so to expect companies to crank them out at the same speed as say a single player game is not realistic. 

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

I would not say its dying, but it's in a change to a kind of next quality level. There are loads of games coming within half a year such as Vindictus, GW2, Cata, RIFT, TERA, hopefully C9 and Blade&Soul(Unsure when the latest two are to release). So I would definetly say the business are in a calm before the storm.

With that being said, I am bit sad that all those huge budget games leaves almost no room for indie developers to release any mmos :(

True, the big companies can attract the best programers with good salaries.  There is a slight crack in that almost closed door for the independents though, if the game is good enough because we MMO diehards are pretty informed and keep a close ear to the rumor mill. If they make it, we will know about it. 

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

i think the MMORPG is dying

we are now headed to the SPORPG era (single player online role playing game) with SW:TOR and GW2 where the main focus is your character where YOU are the hero and everything is centered around YOU and YOUR choices

Good point. I'm looking forward to that change in the MMO sector aswell. If this even affects and so on

MMORPG and SPRPG's are not in any way the same and can't be compared. I do agree that the single player on line rpg is gaining in popularity because of console systems though. 

• theinhibitortheinhibitor Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by crunk001

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_sales_figures

Well sales of video games in general has gone down, dont know why. Could be a lot of factors namely:

the economy (though apparently in times of stress sales tend to go up initially)

the genre (general trends and such)

console sales (when console sales go up, mmo sales tend to go down slightly)

As for innovation and indie games, its very hard to make an indie mmo because they are the costliest games to make. also a few games have all the market share (WoW etc.). Also youd probably have to look at the generations and what they grew up with and what age groups play mmo's and where they are now. of course, mmo's are becoming exceedingly popular, though most people tend to congregate around a few games AND as a game becomes more popular/get more hype, it tends to do way better. a small indie company has little chance of generating such hype.

as for new games, i think most companies have waited for WoW to lose its novelty before really making a new and expensive game in fear of failure. this is because most people wont pay for 2 monthly subscription:

http://obsoletegamer.com/forum/the-discussion-room/in-the-end-is-a-monthly-subscription-fee-bad-for-gamers/

here the general consent is that to charge a monthly subscription the game better be damn good.

/theinhibitor/

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Quick someone attack the industry!

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

There does seem to be a lull in the genre lately. At least in games I enjoy. That being said, the industry still is raking in the dough. I figure as long as there a few smaller games like Fallen Earth Ill be happy as a clam though. I tend to lean towards the independent game studios. Although Ill admit I love Eve and Wow. Neither of which are small studio games lol. Well ok technically Eve WAS small. Not so much anymore :D