Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW1 players feel let down by GW2

13»

Comments

• SpellshaperSpellshaper Member UncommonPosts: 419

Originally posted by jdnewell

IMO if they want to keep playing GW1 then they can as GW1 is still up and running last I heard.

I think everyone of us will buy GW2, because GW1 was so great and GW2 looks so promising that true fan cant miss it. And with all rexsect anyone who didnt play GW1 GvG really dont have right to tell anything about it, you just have to experience it. The best days of GvG never come back so its difficult, even GW1 isnt the game we (PvPers) loved so much and thats why we all have high hopes for GW2. ArenaNet said they do some mistakes (and many of us agree with that) and they try to fix these mistakes in GW2. Now it seems players were talking about different mistakes than ArenaNet!

Recently I came back to GW and mostly dont like all these changes they make to please solo PVEers in game. Majority of the best PvP guilds arent in game since Nightfall (or around that time). There is no real development for GW1, so its not an option for us anymore. The game now lives only from PvE and title farmers, so I am not surprised that someone said majority of GW players are PvEers right now. Community of our whole country left GW (because most of these were PvP guilds) years ago, while all waiting for GW2 with higher than high hopes!

I think this kind of discussion is very important, because there is still time for ANet to make it right. They already said that beta will be only marketing very close to realease and no real changes can be made at that time.

We were all stunned by how great GW2 looks, but we should wake up and point out all concerns before its too late... 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

From some dutch guildwars forums i learned that a lot of hardcore GW1 players that played at Gamescom did not like GW2.

WHy?

- The game played like an MMO and not like guildwars.

- The gameplay was different from the orriginal GW

- They felt the game was dumbed down.

How do the hardore GW players on this forum feel about GW2?

I think biggest complaint must be the skill deck

GW1- 10 skills to combine

GW2 - 5 , of wich 1 must be heal and 1 must be elite. So basically 3

They might be less versatility in builds.

But after seeing the gameplay videos , i dont know how anyone can be letdown by GW2 ?

SOmehow it makes me wonder how gamedevelopers got the idea that people don't like versatallity and want to be taken by the hand.  I agree this combined with the removing of dualclassing is my biggest worry... Characters might end up with a lot less diversity in skills...

Doesn't everyone hate the cookyclutter builds from WoW?

The actual stement from A-net about this is that they want to protect people from making wrong choices .......

But you can´t really make wrong choices in Guildwars because you can change back and forth between specs anytime you want.... Try something and if it doesn´t work, just move back to a working spec....   Maybe even make it so that people with less time at their hands can download working specs from guildmates and such.. 

The versatillity of Guildwars was perfect for my needs. And i will probably miss it in GW2, sure their will be some versatillity in GW2, but not to the degree it was available in GW1. 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• OmgZombiesOmgZombies Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

From some dutch guildwars forums i learned that a lot of hardcore GW1 players that played at Gamescom did not like GW2.

WHy?

- The game played like an MMO and not like guildwars.

- The gameplay was different from the orriginal GW

- They felt the game was dumbed down.

How do the hardore GW players on this forum feel about GW2?

While I know exactly where they're coming from and would also enjoy an updated Guild Wars 1-like experience, I think that many of the things that make this Guild Wars are going to show themselves in the long run, instead of at an alpha stage game demo.

It may have been dumbed down in some respects, but I'm sure it'll definitely become complicated with skill, weapon and class combinations in end-game pvp and pve.

I think that they aren't ready to leave GW1, or don't want to adapt to the new, somewhat-actiony, twitch-based combat.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

I still enjoy GW1, but I doubt that GW2 will be a letdown to me.

GW2 is GW1 lore fastforwarded 250 years and Anet have been telling us for a long time that this is a different game.

Anet are trying to accomodate a broader range of players and the MMO part was announced from the start. For some reason 'openworld' seems to be considered 'finer', more 'real' or 'immersive' by a lot of people. Personally I hate games where people stand in line to 'kill' the same endlessly respawning monsters. Thats an immersion killer I never had to endure in GW1.

Largescale PvP and dynamic events will hopefully outweigh all the limitations of the 'openworld realm' model.

Sure there are a lot of things that I will miss from the original GW. The skillset will be heavily reduced, but I don't see that as a huge problems. Of the 1500 different skills in GW1 maybe 3-400 are used actively.

Losing dual professions is really a bummer, but instead we get dynamic crossclass combo-like features. The races are probably another feature, mostly aimed at the players who did not like GW1. Personally I have no intention of playing a huge furball or an obnoxious gnome with xxxl ears, but if thats what the youth needs, then by all means image

The PvP part will be interesting (not the world PvP part - that'll probably end up a zerg/gank type of thing like most other MMO's). No I am interested in what kind of tournament/arena style PvP GW2 will offer - You know the actual "Guild Wars" part.

If this ends up as either nonexistant or as an unbalanced, pointless gear- & potiondependant mess (again: Like most other MMO's) then I will just play and enjoy the PvE/openworld PvP part of GW2 and go back to GW1 for balanced PvP matches.

Who knows - Even if controlled PvP fails, the PvE might be good enough for me to buy the inevitable expansions image

The biggest 'threat' that GW2 poses to hardcore GW1 players is that a lot of the GW1 population will switch to GW2.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

I think people just forget that GW2 is a completely new game. Really the only thing it shares with GW1 is the lore and that's about it. I actually think the GW2 is the game the wanted GW1 to be, but due to technology limitations, they couldn't accomplish it.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

almost get to question my sanity reading through this thread and talking about itemization being end all be all in GW2 PvP, am very certain they said all characters would be scaled down to level 2, to my understanding that would mean gear too, leaving only weapons left to be farmed if you want a certain skill set, adding to that they did ensure that there still were a ton of customization to be done, even tho admitted less than in GW1...also they promised that GvG and other arena based PvP would be present in GW2 as well as the server vs server vs server, being the new thing PvP wise in their game.

havent played GW1 PvP at all so wouldnt be able to compare the 2 even after launch, but to me sounds like they by far have forgotten about the PvPers, but ofc its obvious main part of their innovations is in the PvE play, atleast its the part they are building their hype on. but well as most PvPers have stated in this thread already...have to wait judging till we see it all in action, and am certain not everyone will find GW2 amazing after trying it out. so far tho, to me, everything looks awesome :P

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

How on earth can you say that have forgotten about the PvP players when we have seen 0 (that's ZERO) PvP action. Not only that but we simply have NO CLUE how big and how much PvP there will be. It makes perfect sense for them to work first on PvE and then on PvP.  One thing at a time and they can always adjust where need be. The game isn't even close to done yet and PvP takes a lot less time to get right than a gigantic PvE world.

Honestly... some people on here clearly just stick to complaining on forums instead of actually playing games. Oh well.

• SpellshaperSpellshaper Member UncommonPosts: 419

Originally posted by bookworm438

I think people just forget that GW2 is a completely new game. Really the only thing it shares with GW1 is the lore and that's about it. I actually think the GW2 is the game the wanted GW1 to be, but due to technology limitations, they couldn't accomplish it.

I really want to know if comments like these actually come from people who played and like GW 1 and PvP especially. Its not open world, dynamic events or MMO features what makes us fear. Its about core mechanics and ideas behind original GW and these ideas were promised to be kept in GW2 too (at least years ago when idea of GW2 cames to light).

• Kleos7Kleos7 Member Posts: 24

4) Skill builds

In Gw1 u have eight slots where u can put whatever you want from large pool of skills (counting only core game). In GW2 u have first half of skills from weapons and u cant customize these. After that u have one support skill (healing) and one elite skills. That left us with only 2-3 slots u can really customize and thats not much for tactical PvP gameplay of GW1.

I played GW1 since CB, when Healing Hands was way OP...and by way OP i mean one OB weekend I took four henchmen and myself into a normally 8v8 GvG battle and won consistently, and I seriously don't think we'll be at a lose for tactical gameplay.

In GW you had 8 skills. (And for random pvp teams you'd probably slot one of those with a res signet, but yet I digress).

In GW2 the first 5 are determined by your weapon type. But say I'm a Warrior. I have 5 bow skills till I switch to dual axes where I get 5 axe skills. Then if I want to get out of combat and open up my inventory, I can replace an axe with a warhorn and whether I put it in my primary or secondary hand, I will get 2 to 3 new skills. But for the sake of argument lets just say I don't bother to go into my inventory and I just use quick swap. Thats 10 skills right there. I dont care if the game designers chose what skills link to what weapons because I get to chose when I use said weapon and how I use those skills in combat.

The on top of the 10 skills available from weapon swapping I get an addition 5 to customize. One is how I chose to heal myself and/or my allies which I can chose. One is an elite skill which I get to chose. And the other three are utility skills of my choice which I would assume one would want to have them cater and aid the weapons one has equipped in quick swap.

On top of this we add a downed state with four more skills. 

That will deliver tactics right there. But wait no, they've also added dodging and the ability for anyone to rez...sounds like the tactics have sky rocketed to me.

I personally am not sad to see the disappearance of the WoH Mo/War using defensive stance and whatever the 5 sec Monk dodge skill was because now we all have to actively watch out for ourselves. DUN DUN DUN.

• Kleos7Kleos7 Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by natuxatu

How on earth can you say that have forgotten about the PvP players when we have seen 0 (that's ZERO) PvP action. Not only that but we simply have NO CLUE how big and how much PvP there will be. It makes perfect sense for them to work first on PvE and then on PvP.  One thing at a time and they can always adjust where need be. The game isn't even close to done yet and PvP takes a lot less time to get right than a gigantic PvE world.

Honestly... some people on here clearly just stick to complaining on forums instead of actually playing games. Oh well.

Going to have to play devil's advocate and completely disagree with you on this one mate.

Balancing PvP takes wayyyyyy longer than creating the PvE content. Monsters don't have the opportunity to file tickets with the dev about OP skills. But players can and do. Like in my post above, it took one skill all the way into the first OB weekend before it got nerfed. There's absolutely no way that it takes PvP less time to "get right". How many games are released with an OP class? I remember in AC it was magic casters, Neocron it was PSI Monks (again magic casters), SWG PreCU for awhile it was the creature handlers and/or smugglers if they had all three knockdown abilities (that is until the empire players got enough faction points to roll out the ATSTs), now I never played WoW at each and every turning point but for awhile Spriests had their hayday before resilience when blackout would actually land consistently leaving players stunned for the length of the fight.

PvP is always getting worked on man.

• schroedingerschroedinger Member Posts: 23

Calm down guys, they still have a ton of stuff they haven't even announced about the game. In fact a couple of classes haven't even been unveiled yet.

I'd speculate that they will talk about PVP after all the classes have been unveiled.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Originally posted by Spellshaper

Originally posted by bookworm438

I really want to know if comments like these actually come from people who played and like GW 1 and PvP especially. Its not open world, dynamic events or MMO features what makes us fear. Its about core mechanics and ideas behind original GW and these ideas were promised to be kept in GW2 too (at least years ago when idea of GW2 cames to light).

I've played through guild wars 1. Played through all three campaigns, and the expansion. Once I finished the story for everything I ended up becoming obsessed with Fort Aspenwood. It really is fun, but that's just my opinion. I grew bored and quit. I still log in every so often to check on my toons and open b-day presents, yes I like the mini-pets. I think ursan really killed the game for me, and I haven't really had the urge to go back even though Anet killed the skill years ago. They said that the core mechanics would return (like dual professions) back in 2007, when they announced Guild Wars 2. They also promised that skill > time will also be the main philosophy of Guild Wars 2. In order to truely judge whether that philosophy has been kept with guild wars 2, we have to play the game. But the mechanics they "promised" was back in 2007. Things can change drastically in 3 years in the game development world. They found the a single profession system worked better in GW2, so they changed it to that. In an early interview they stated that they had the dual profession system implemented within the game in the beginning. However, they ended up removing it. As for the 10 skill bar, with you being able to choose five, I like it. There are less overall skills, so obviously they'll have to have less skills you can choose from.

Either way, my point stands. It's an entirely new game that merely shares the lore of it. I'll admit, I wasn't happy with the dual profession system not returning, but i got over it. I just remembered that it was a new game, so what worked in guild wars 1, won't necessarily work in guild wars 2. Personally, I just hope they continue with the philosophy of skill > time.

• oafuapeoafuape Member UncommonPosts: 34

Originally posted by Kleos7

4) Skill builds

In Gw1 u have eight slots where u can put whatever you want from large pool of skills (counting only core game). In GW2 u have first half of skills from weapons and u cant customize these. After that u have one support skill (healing) and one elite skills. That left us with only 2-3 slots u can really customize and thats not much for tactical PvP gameplay of GW1.

I played GW1 since CB, when Healing Hands was way OP...and by way OP i mean one OB weekend I took four henchmen and myself into a normally 8v8 GvG battle and won consistently, and I seriously don't think we'll be at a lose for tactical gameplay.

In GW you had 8 skills. (And for random pvp teams you'd probably slot one of those with a res signet, but yet I digress).

In GW2 the first 5 are determined by your weapon type. But say I'm a Warrior. I have 5 bow skills till I switch to dual axes where I get 5 axe skills. Then if I want to get out of combat and open up my inventory, I can replace an axe with a warhorn and whether I put it in my primary or secondary hand, I will get 2 to 3 new skills. But for the sake of argument lets just say I don't bother to go into my inventory and I just use quick swap. Thats 10 skills right there. I dont care if the game designers chose what skills link to what weapons because I get to chose when I use said weapon and how I use those skills in combat.

The on top of the 10 skills available from weapon swapping I get an addition 5 to customize. One is how I chose to heal myself and/or my allies which I can chose. One is an elite skill which I get to chose. And the other three are utility skills of my choice which I would assume one would want to have them cater and aid the weapons one has equipped in quick swap.

On top of this we add a downed state with four more skills. 

That will deliver tactics right there. But wait no, they've also added dodging and the ability for anyone to rez...sounds like the tactics have sky rocketed to me.

I personally am not sad to see the disappearance of the WoH Mo/War using defensive stance and whatever the 5 sec Monk dodge skill was because now we all have to actively watch out for ourselves. DUN DUN DUN.

Thank you for that comment. I feel the same way exactly. There is a whole bunch of tactics in GW2 it just works a different way by making people think about what their primary and secondary set is going to be (or for mage classes easily switching between stances to change from fire to ice). Rangers now have the ability to use swords and daggers for close range combat and they can choose skill for their pets(if anybody saw the video the pets have like a 6 skill slot or so). 

Granted it is different from GW1 but it is not dumbed down or easier. You have 10 skills bewteen weapons 4 support skills 1 elite skill and 4 downed skills. Also if no one noticed a six skilled is added for warriors that are gaining adrenaline in the bar to perform an adrenaline skill using F1 

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Fawarendan

The devs said GW2 would be very different from GW1, a real MMO, since they started working on it, even before the release of EotN.

While playing GW1 I always wished it played more like a normal MMO, u know: not so much instanced areas, level cap beyond 20, jumping and swimming. So I at least, as a former PvP hardcore player, am pretty happy with the sequel.

However GW1 is still a unique game with plenty of great aspects, and that's why i think GW1 won't die after GW2 releases. The amazing secondary class system (so many possibilites, goddamn :O), body collision, the structure of overall PvP, in the end it was a great story driven coop game with awesome PvP.

One thing i can see GW2 probably won't do better, at max equal, is the quality of PvP. Once in a good guild, GW1 PvP was just perfect and unique for me, while GW2 PvP will be much more MMO-ish (not necessarily a bad thing though).

I don't know about GW2 PvP not being better... weapon swapping, self sufficiency as well as group play seem to be the main focus; basically enhancing what GW1 was doing by making two of the elements I mentioned mandatory (the two being group play and self sufficiency). Making self sufficiency and group play mandatory is definitely not a bad thing and we can all agree that these things are what is needed to win a battle in PvE or PvP. But as we are coming from GW1, we fail to see the possibilities that this new gameplay style may hold in PvP and because of this we are skeptical.

It's okay to be skeptical, I would be lying if I said I wasn't but I would also be lying if I said I didn't see the potential for the great things that can be done with GW2's gameplay style in PvP.

This is not a game.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

GW2 is going to be great. Some just hate change and like they old way of doing things.  

• NejiBoy89NejiBoy89 Member Posts: 21

I play GW and have seen game play form GW2 and in my opinion what they did was basiacly take GW story line and just put it into a whole new game. Not really sure how it'll be in long run but so far looks like it'll hold it's self up.