Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We all want a WoW Killer, But is it WOW that it will really Kill, or the Genre itself?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

We all want a WoW Killer, but is it WOW that it will really kill, or the genre itself?

I see it daily on these forums, people asking for a so called "WoW KILLER", but time after time, it seems more new MMORPGs flop and fail to come anywhere close to those expected levels.

The majority see this "WoW Killer" as a game that would reduce WoW sub count, and have higher sub numbers than WoW itself.

But in realty, would it really be WoW that this "WoW Killer" would kill, or would it really be the Genre and most of the smaller populated MMO?

Just think about it. WoW is the top MMORPG in the world right now. If something came out that was better than WoW, well wouldnt WoW just simply slip into 2nd place?

But what would happen to all the 3rd place and 4place, etc of other MMORPGs in the genre? If anything, Wouldnt a WoW Killer, basically Kill all Non WoW games as well?

Also I seen the argument, that the reason people want a WoW killer, would be to simply stop the WoW clones in the genre.

But WoW is only 6years old, yet after all of its popularity it managed to cause a mass amounts of clones, in a similar way Everquest once did with (DAoC and WoW).

But with a new WoW Killer, wouldnt it be only be a short time before that new game would be cloned to death like WoW was? Then we would run into the same problem we currently are in with the WoW clone trend.

And with the other lesser MMORPGs dead, this WoW killer would be an apocalypse on the MMORPG genre.

Now with Blizzcon on the way, what if Blizzard's new MMORPG turned out to be this "WOW KILLER?"

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Are you okay?

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• DancerDancer Member Posts: 102

I don't want WoW to fail, nor do I want a WoW killer. All MMO's have the same chance to rise or fall. How can someone blame WoW for another failure or blame a new game if WoW does end. They each stand or fall, on their own, in their own time, like life. 

And no, if WoW were to go away, MMO's won't. The fact that you, yourself said people are always looking for something new proves that won't happen anytime soon.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I don't want a WoW killer, I just want WoW to quit dominating the genre so thoroughly that game publishers insist on copying everything it does and that I'm tired of, rather than trying new and unique gameplay and game design.

<3

• mouthbreathmouthbreath Member Posts: 18

I do not want WoW to fail. I enjoy playing that game from time to time. Whats your problem with WoW?

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

Face it, there wil NEVER be a WoW killer...in time, WoWs subs will fall and the population will move on to A NUMBER of other MMOs...The fact that a single MMO dominates the market now is pretty ridiculous, IMO.

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• endersshadowendersshadow Member Posts: 296

I too dont want a WoW killer. I dont even think its possible.

Its simple really, I just want a great new game to enjoy that has an undeniable magic and appeal.

That will only happen when they stop focusing on the marketability of the game and just stick to making a great game. Build it, they will come.

I have played WoW since release with breaks now and again. 

I have quit to quit. 

I have quit to play Warhammer which i thought was going to be DAOC 2

I quit to play AION which I thought was going to have GREAT PVP, it didnt.

And then I quit out of sheer boredom and monotony. 

All this money in the industry and all the talent, where are the great games that are realistically possible!

• Torment1982Torment1982 Member Posts: 156

The reason you are struggling with the concept is because you are trying to give legitimacy to a term with no meaning.  A "WoW Killer" will be as you describe, a game that reduces WoW's sub population, but it suggests that it will do so by such a margin that the game will shut down or be killed.  It is simply not how business works, miracles maybe, but real life has to deal with a more realistic perspective.  So, of course you can say that a game that kills WoW would likely be extremely detrimental to the genre as a whole by canabalizing subs from every game to such a degree they might all shut down.  Of course we can make wild speculation about all kinds of things, I could for example point to prophecies or religion if I want some excellent examples. 

Simple put there is no such thing and will be no such thing, and no we do not all want a WoW Killer.

• UncleSantaUncleSanta Member UncommonPosts: 99

Originally posted by dreamscaper

I don't want a WoW killer, I just want WoW to quit dominating the genre so thoroughly that game publishers insist on copying everything it does and that I'm tired of, rather than trying new and unique gameplay and game design.

QFT

• foulu625foulu625 Member Posts: 177

I would enjoy seeing a game steal a huge chunk of WoW's crowd, only for the fact that Blizzard doesn't care about them and doesn't work for it's customers. They churn out as little as they possibly can and just sit upon that huge stack of cash. I believe in being rewarded for hard work, which Blizzard does not do. I'm glad it came out because it opened the genre that much more, but if they don't decide to put forth the effort others with far less capital are doing, then I find myself rooting for each new MMO that has a chance. The odds are slim, as most people play WoW to play with their friends and guilds. It's why I played, and it's why most of my old guild still plays. Most have expressed how little they actually enjoy the game anymore. All I propose is change, whether on Blizzard's front, the consumer's eyes, or within the MMO genre. Change is hard fought for though, so whatever MMO does manage to capture Blizz's audience they've taken for granted will have to put forth such an astounding effort just to start off.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

People want a WoW killer here?

Never noticed, I know  I dont.

I guess we have been "EXPOSED" ;)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

WoW will be its own WoW killer one day. It's own success will be it's own downfall. The niche game market will be the takeover once the masses get tired of everything in one, and WANT more of the few things they enjoy the most in MMOs. The PvPers will move to the best of the niche PvP games, the PvE players will move to the best niche PvE games and so forth. Eventually the beast will fall and the people will move on to what makes them happy again. With far less fanfare than some may expect, I envision it to be a gradual and quiet migration, a silent death. And 5 to 10 years after its demise it will become as important as the name Zondorf itself. :)

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

• SakdizzleSakdizzle Member Posts: 52

I'm not trying to be a fanboy, but I think Blizzard listen to their customers.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Do I want a wow killer ?  Lord no,  I just want a better game than wow.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

When people say Wow killer they just usually mean a game that will dethrone Wow as the top MMO, not something that closes Wow down.

The only possible Wow killer the next few years would be if the entire net crashes and people know this,

EQ and UO is still around, Meridian 59 closed down just a few month ago and that was the first MMO ever and never got that big.

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

Originally posted by foulu625

I would enjoy seeing a game steal a huge chunk of WoW's crowd, only for the fact that Blizzard doesn't care about them and doesn't work for it's customers. They churn out as little as they possibly can and just sit upon that huge stack of cash. I believe in being rewarded for hard work, which Blizzard does not do. I'm glad it came out because it opened the genre that much more, but if they don't decide to put forth the effort others with far less capital are doing, then I find myself rooting for each new MMO that has a chance. The odds are slim, as most people play WoW to play with their friends and guilds. It's why I played, and it's why most of my old guild still plays. Most have expressed how little they actually enjoy the game anymore. All I propose is change, whether on Blizzard's front, the consumer's eyes, or within the MMO genre. Change is hard fought for though, so whatever MMO does manage to capture Blizz's audience they've taken for granted will have to put forth such an astounding effort just to start off.

Is that personal experience? At least from the support side, I never had a problem with Blizzard products. Can't say of anything though when it comes to game content/mechanics wishes/demands/expectations, but I doubt that with 11 million people you can get it right for all?

Otherwise I have the same sentiments as you, with regards to why I "still-play-WoW-although-I-am-bored-at-times".

One thing is certain, hype, and pre-released games won't catch the attention of any audience for long, or at all.

imageimage

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by stayontarget

This is well-said. I want a better game that WoW.

WoW's existence is really not a problem, and I don't agree with people who say that every game that has come out since is a WoW clone. The elements in WoW existed in many of the MMOs prior to WoW's release, which are part of the fantasy MMO genre. This is just like with other game genres; look at the RTS or FPS genres for example. They all have certain game elements that are common between the games.

I don't see the MMO genre or WoW going away anytime soon. I think WoW will continue to be played for years to come, much like how people still play D2 and SC1. The population will probably go down, but I don't see why the game has to end. As long as Blizzard and WoW players support it, it will not die.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

i dont think the WoW effect will ever be repeated, hopefully we will start seeing a few good MMO's though, but until MMO companies realise that millions of players is probably not going to be achievable, having 300, or 400 thousand players is a very respectable number, and while i do understand that some companies are more profit driven than others, it does seem to me, that when a company concentrates on its game design, than on increasing their market share, the game tends to be better.... of course im using Eve as an example.. but whether you are a fan of that game or not, nobody can say that they arent 150 percent involved in their own game. I can't see any game 'killing the genre' though, the Fantasy genre is too popular for that, but rather than saying a game needs to be unique and 'different' which is a difficult thing to achieve when you look at just how many MMO's are out there right now, rather than 'reinventing the wheel' they just need to concentrate on making a game that isnt conceptually flawed, or rushed so much that  elements of the game are incomplete or missing. .. image

• HiddenWalrusHiddenWalrus Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by MurlockDance

Originally posted by stayontarget

This is well-said. I want a better game that WoW.

WoW's existence is really not a problem, and I don't agree with people who say that every game that has come out since is a WoW clone. The elements in WoW existed in many of the MMOs prior to WoW's release, which are part of the fantasy MMO genre. This is just like with other game genres; look at the RTS or FPS genres for example. They all have certain game elements that are common between the games.

I don't see the MMO genre or WoW going away anytime soon. I think WoW will continue to be played for years to come, much like how people still play D2 and SC1. The population will probably go down, but I don't see why the game has to end. As long as Blizzard and WoW players support it, it will not die.

I totally agree,WoW is not any different then any other MMO,its just that its success comes from the fact that its been developed and published by a very known and reliable company: "Blizzard Entertainment".

Due to Blizzard's success in previous releases like Diablo 2 and Starcraft people actually waited since Blizzard announced WoW for the game to be released.

Then that means that there must be an MMO out there that is better the WoW,its just not very or popular due the fact that the company that developed it is not that well known. 

In conclusion I think that we should stop giving so much attention to the big fish and start looking between the scraps for that MMO that might one day dethrone wow.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

I dont know about you guys but my enjoyiment of a game is mainly determined by how many people play it. If that number doubles overnight, so does my enjoyment of the game. People who play unpopular games are just being contrary haters. And they're dumb. And stupid.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• AshendieAshendie Member UncommonPosts: 7

I know there are many people who do not like the game and carry on with the whole "WoW sucks!" attitude but there really can be no argument that WoW just simply is the best MMORPG out there.

Doesnt mean everyone has to like the game. Myself even yeah ive played it for years and now im pretty much bored and doing other games like f2p and EvE...but I wont for 1 second say WoW sucks, cause although ive lost interest, I wont deny how good the game is.

WoW wont kill the MMORPG genre nor will a WoW killler appear for a while. People are becoming more connected everyday. ie facebook, twitter, xboxlive, PSN etc. WoW is just hitting all the right notes.

Why is it so good? Well its the Scale, Simple graphics engine, Interface, music, story, content, feel ,world and now intergrated battle.net etc etc ( big list )

To put it quite simply no developer/publisher has put in the time,money,effort and the right people to beat the games scale.

until that happens. WoW will rule.

At the end of the day 11.5-12million subs cant be wrong.

• WinnTechWinnTech Member UncommonPosts: 71

Originally posted by Malcanis

I dont know about you guys but my enjoyiment of a game is mainly determined by how many people play it. If that number doubles overnight, so does my enjoyment of the game. People who play unpopular games are just being contrary haters. And they're dumb. And stupid.

I couldn't disagree more with t his statement. But, to each his own. I prefer quality over quantity. When I started WoW, the only place I had to avoid was the Barrens, The Chuck Norris jokes made my ears bleed. Nonetheless, WoW, was a great game, then the sheer numbers of childish and eliteist players took over. 

I found that the newer players were less tolerable and their play style was, not their fault due to Blizzard planning, so many levels and dimensions worse than that of a classic vanilla (pre BC) player. Seems that some people forget that some play for fun and it is not their life that depends on it. Sadly, these individuals need to remember, its a game, its not only JUST a game, it is one that has cut a hole in your wallet,

I, for one, find myself in that "Post WoW" group, though I cannot say that I would want to see WoW go away. Competition breeds better creation. I had to drop from WoW after 5 years, I watch it go from Hard to Easy and the dungeons changed as well to reflect the metamorphosis into a game more concerned with dragging you in with hints of better gear and the infamous limiter, Gear Score.

I find that, at this time, no MMOs, can hold my attention as well, but, the community and the gameplay are just not worth the monthly payment. If I am going to play a game that is as good as a F2P IMO, I might as well try any other one till I find one that suits me. Well, there isn't one, I am playing Sim Societies, but you know, it is still better than the fiasco that WoW is becoming. I think their last hurrah is Cataclysm. I look forward to Next Gen MMOs, which WoW cannot be.

Time is the slow poison for all games. They all fall eventually, its all a question of when.

WinnTech

• I can't believe you guys think like this! Playing a game means you're having fun and numbers don't count! LOL and you're calling me dumb?? 

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

New successful and fun MMO's. More variety. Less rehashing of the same old ideas and gameplay mechanics making the MMO genre feel like a pulp genre.

That's what most MMO gamers are looking for.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Dookz

Are you okay?

It's just his love-hate relationship with WoW coming to the fore. I think simply yawn, there are other games and many gamers simply don't care about WoW as an option for their weekly gaming fun.
  • AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208

I hope noone wants WoW "killer" because than would WoW players ( imo worst MMO community of all whom I met so far ) go to other MMOs. WoW is simply an solo game with some multiplayer content. And I dont want solo players to play game which I like - because I like true multiplayer games - means focused on group content.. So I hope WoW players will be always at WoW or at least at other "solo friendly" MMO.

EDIT: Btw saying WoW is best MMO is like if someone would say Lady Gaga is best singer in the world because she has now so many fans.. (not sure who has most fans) Being best in something doesnt mean you have most fans. :) Moslty "most fan" thing is just most friendly for customers in its branch.

EDIT 2: Almost forgot, imo best mmo now and for many years is EvE online. Even if I play Guild Wars and I've never played so much EvE because my gf wouldnt like it. Still it has best customer "service" with its kinda customers senate and it will be much more better after Dust. Most companies care about number of players - like Blizz is doing but CCP cares about theirs fans.. and that should be done by all companies.

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO