Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hacked twice in less then a month1

2»

Comments

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

And this authenticator thing is something blizzard sells?

Ouch.

So the "hackers" are making blizzard money, essentially. Kind of makes you go Hmmmmmmmmm..................

*insert theme song for evil mega-corporation*

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

Getting an authenticator is a very good idea...i've gotten one myself just to feel safe, BUT...why should people have to pay to have their account secure?  Shouldnt Blizzard be taking care of these problems...liiiike, I dont know, maybe giving authenticators for free? or included in a box when people buy the game....seriously what does it cost them, 10 cents in plastic and wires?  and it's everyone elses fault for not buying one when they get hacked?

With the amount of hacking going on in this game, why doesnt Blizzard stand up and help its community instead of trying to make money off it buy "Selling" security?

Originally posted by stringboi

With the amount of hacking going on in this game, why doesnt Blizzard stand up and help its community instead of trying to make money off it by "Selling" security?

That's what I wondered.. Then it occurred to me that maybe some of these "hackers" also work for blizzard.. eh

*even more evil mega-corp theme song*

• mmonoobletmmonooblet Member Posts: 336

I'd be interested to know what % of WoW players actually get hacked...  Is there such a large number of people simply because so many people play WoW?

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by rwmiller

I love these posts where people say their account has been hacked twice in the last 6 months but they never use it. If they never use it then how do they know it's been hacked? Gee, I got an email from Blizzard let me go check the account, duh.

I get notices on accounts that have never had anything to do with WoW that my account has been changed.

It really seems that most of these posts are being done by people simply to stir up trouble and aren't very credible.

I've been hacked on 2 accounts for WoW. One was when they merged the accounts with battle.net and the other was just recently. The most recent one i hadn't played for about 3 months. I got the usual emails and ignored. Then i decided to try log onto my account (Not from an email, went to their actual site) and i couldn't. So i obviously got hacked.

How? I hadn't downloaded anything accept a demo or 2 from Fileplanet. These posts aren't just to stir up trouble. Its a serious issue blizzard needs to do something about. You trust your information with them and with so many accounts being hacked maybe the Authenticator should be given away for free.

You can say "Its your fault" or "Don't follow the dodgy emails" but at the end of the day its obvious something is seriously wrong at Blizzards end.

• ZenNatureZenNature Member CommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by randomt

Ouch.

So the "hackers" are making blizzard money, essentially. Kind of makes you go Hmmmmmmmmm..................

Give me a break lol An Authenticator is $6.50. That's not even worth debating a conspiracy theory over. IT'S $6.50. I can barely get a meal at Mcdonalds these days for that much.

Originally posted by ZenNature

Ouch.

Give me a break lol An Authenticator is $6.50. That's not even worth debating a conspiracy theory over. IT'S $6.50. I can barely get a meal at Mcdonalds these days for that much.

Ah, but 6.50 times 1 million players is still 6.5 million $!

Anyway my point was: why is blizzard making any money at all off of hackers?

• TrunksZTrunksZ Member Posts: 263

People on this site are dumb or I am just lucky, I don't have an anti virus and I have 2 accounts for over 3 years and none of them has been hacked

Originally posted by stringboi

Getting an authenticator is a very good idea...i've gotten one myself just to feel safe, BUT...why should people have to pay to have their account secure?  Shouldnt Blizzard be taking care of these problems...liiiike, I dont know, maybe giving authenticators for free? or included in a box when people buy the game....seriously what does it cost them, 10 cents in plastic and wires?  and it's everyone elses fault for not buying one when they get hacked?

With the amount of hacking going on in this game, why doesnt Blizzard stand up and help its community instead of trying to make money off it buy "Selling" security?

They are not making money off of it. They are selling it for what it costs to make it. They have stated as much, and other people knowledgeable about how they are made validated it. If they just 'gave away' authenticators to over 10 million people, that would be very costly when a lot of people 'claim' to know how to keep themselves safe and don't even need one.

Ouch.

Read my last post. They are not "making money" off of it. It was very easy for me to find this information when I bought one so why don't you people just google this crap before starting ridiculous conspiracy theories? FFS

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100

My account had been unactive for 9 months and got hacked and reactivated. Lucky my wife still plays daily and seen my toon log on. It happened 7 dsys after activating starcraft 2 on my pc. Had a fresh install 3 days old and running  norton 360 all up to date. And never never never clcik on anything in e-mails concerning wow or blizzard unless its from blizzard. Always look at property of e-mail first. Have key chain auth. from blizzard now. My point to all of this is I am leaning towards a inside job here. My own wife didnt even know my password.  )

Read my last post. They are not "making money" off of it. It was very easy for me to find this information when I bought one so why don't you people just google this crap before starting ridiculous conspiracy theories? FFS

Mighty quick to jump to their defense!

*more evil music!*

AS for blizzard.. if it sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck.. maybe it actually is a duck!

A company making money, no matter if it's just a little bit of money, off the activities of hackers like that.. that's just morally wrong.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Ouch.

So how much money is Blizzard losing per sale of these authenticators? I dont really believe Blizz is hacking accounts to sell make money on authenticators but neither do I believe  they are losing money or just breaking even on them.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

You know, something like this really sucks but it's most likely your fault for not getting rid of the keylogger after the first time you got hacked.

I feel bad for you because I was hacked once and know what it feels like, and I'm sorry, but all I can do is laugh out loud at this.

I got the authenticator after I got hacked and while I think it's a nuisance, it works great and I got it for free on my iPhone. If you ever get your account back, or decide to start another one, get it, you'll be glad you did.

• testmylucktestmyluck Member Posts: 91

People really like to pass the buck automatically to the user to protect their precious blizzard. When all else fails "MAGICAL KEYLOGGER TIME!" I'm willing to say that a fair amount of the account hacks are user error, but they have been far too unlikely and unreasonable as of late that there isn't some other method being used to compromise accounts.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please use the designated thread to dicuss this topic further. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.