Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what's truly bad about WoW?

Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

I've recently started playing WoW again with my girlfriend (it's the only game she likes so far).  As someone who was a WoW player for a few years..to a WoW hater..now back again.  I've wondered am I really angry at WoW?  Or am I angry that the genre itself hasn't innovated much since WoW came out?  I've played more MMO's than I care to list...but I haven't played LOTRO, FFXIV and many of the F2P games.. but thats it.

Here are some points I've used in the past and I'll debunk my own:

• WoW is too easy.  Can anyone on this forum honestly say any MMORPG was hard? When I say hard.... I mean truly difficult not just longer or more tedious.  I see the insta gratification kiddies line being thrown around like political circles throw around democraps and rethuglicans.  So you kill 10 monsters versus killing 100 to level (for example) either way I as a player I have thoroughly proved I know how to kill said monster... what's more difficult really?   I think this is more of an emotional response and a case of rose colored glasses.  I've raided in EQ1(up to Luclin), AoC and DAoC .. it was not at all difficult; in fact I'd say easier overall.  This also might be a case of the ease in which you can find info on MMO's nowadays. 

• WoW has the worst community.  I'm not gonna sit here and tell you the WoW community is some bastion of polite civilization.  I am going to tell you that the community in every game I have ever played is roughly similar.  I remember trolls in EQ trash talking constantly and people generally being shitty to eachother.   How about the raid guilds that used to run by other lesser experienced guilds at a raid boss (remember open dungeons) and ninja the kill?  Then they would be "nice" and give the lesser experienced raid..have whatever they didn't want.. Wow how nice! /sarcasm.  DAoC didn't have much better of a community either.  I had to quit a character because someone *accused* me of ninjaing with no proof.. just an accusation (they couldn't even provide a ss)... and boom I can't even pvp... on a midgard healer.

So I'm just wondering wondering if the WoW hate (which is considered cool apparently) and how older games were so much better is a lot like the old guy's description of his youth in this clip:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/143453/family-guy-reliving-his-youth

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I don't hate WoW so not really a part of that whole fad.

There are two negative aspects about that game that I don't care for:

1. The community - It just leaves a lot to be desired.  From the insults to the trolling it just gets old after a while.  It wasn't that bad in the beginning but over time has steadily declined.  That isn't to say there aren't still friendly or helpful people to be found.  They're just a lot more sparse in that game than they used to be.  However, this can be said about a lot of mmos these days.  WoW is certainly not alone in this category and quite frankly after trying out some newer mmos it isn't even the worst out there. Communities in mmos have always had their pricks and selfish bastards but really came to light in that game.  As bad as the community has become in general in these games it's really amazng when you compare the general attitude of people in a game like Aion or WoW to the few mmos that have rather decent folk (generally speaking) like in LotR or FE.

2. Accessibility - Double edged sword really.  Things have become so easy to acquire in game that many do little to no exploration.  On one hand it's great because casuals get to acquire things they probably otherwise wouldn't.  On the other, many don't bother with group quests outside of dungeons anymore, know how to run back to the instance when they die because they don't know where it is, want everything handed to them immediately and then complain there isn't anything to do, etc.

Overall I think it's a great game.  I enjoy it.  I like LotR more but it's still one of my favorite mmos to come back to from time to time.

The positives of the game far outweigh the negatives for me. 

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I don't hate WoW so not really a part of that whole fad.

There are two negative aspects about that game that I don't care for:

1. The community - It just leaves a lot to be desired.  From the insults to the trolling it just gets old after a while.  It wasn't that bad in the beginning but over time has steadily declined.  That isn't to say there aren't still friendly or helpful people to be found.  They're just a lot more sparse in that game than they used to be.  However, this can be said about a lot of mmos these days.  WoW is certainly not alone in this category and quite frankly after trying out some newer mmos it isn't even the worst out there.

2. Accessibility - Double edged sword really.  Things have become so easy to acquire in game that many do little to no exploration.  On one hand it's great because casuals get to acquire things they probably otherwise wouldn't.  On the other, many don't bother with group quests outside of dungeons anymore, know how to run back to the instance when they die because they don't know where it is, want everything handed to them immediately and then complain there isn't anything to do, etc.

Overall I think it's a great game.  I enjoy it.  I like LotR more but it's still one of my favorite mmos to come back to from time to time.

The positives of the game far outweigh the negatives for me. 

Yep I'm rough on my partner in crime... I make her run her ass back when she dies.  The only one she's bad with  is BRD.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

In my opinion I dont think there is anything 'truly bad about WoW', I think that the reason for all (or most) of the complaining is that it has been around for 6 years and people are just burnt out with.   I often amuse myself by comparing the hate for WoW with the hate for the U.S.   It's the biggest thing out there.. but people are just tired of it, or just jump on the 'I hate' bandwagon.  It's funny you can take out WoW in any post and insert America, and take out the game it's compared to and insert the flavor of the month country that hates us..

disclaimer:  I am not posting pro-american nor anti-american, I am just making a humurous analogy in my opinion.

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

Regarding the community, I think WoW has more...options due to the number of people. I have given up any comms in trade of  major cities as I rarely find any information worthwhile. The BG's are even more freindly than the trade channels. However, every MMORPG I have entered does the same, Global Agenda comes to mind, where matureity runs a bit...weak.

My biggest problem in WoW is guilds that have armor requirements; I call them "ego clicks" and avoid them on recruitment level. Oh sure I meet the requirements but that is not what I am looking for in an MMORPG where the concept is to build up unity rather than gear. Nevertheless,  I agree with what has been said about the "hater banwagon" which makes no sense to me for a game with so many subs.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

I despise any game that is limited on character customization. WoW has well-differentiated gear, but every character of a given race looks exactly the same. It is all about how they designed their character models and customization engine.

Gameplay... it is fine, with the usual features you would expect. I would add that in the "X" number of years they have found a way to add almost no new/revolutionary functionality to the MMO genre, always following someone else's lead.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801

I will tell you what I don't like about WoW. But let me say first that I don't hate it, and it's a great game for those who like that style.

But what I don't like is:

1. the level grind, it's too much for my tastes and

2. means that the game is played as a directed experience through predetermined zones which means that

3. any social interaction is dependent on staying within the same levels as others, leading to

4. breakdown of many guilds, innability to stay with friends, which leads to

5. no social meaning deeper than a message board, which in turn

6. leaves the game feeling like a game instead of a world.

I think that you can have the same experiences as WoW, the same fun and excitement, in a worldly game, but with the added benefits of freedom and deeper social ties that can influence the game world in ways that WoW can't.

Once upon a time....

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

Originally posted by Amaranthar

I will tell you what I don't like about WoW. But let me say first that I don't hate it, and it's a great game for those who like that style.

But what I don't like is:

1. the level grind, it's too much for my tastes and

2. means that the game is played as a directed experience through predetermined zones which means that

3. any social interaction is dependent on staying within the same levels as others, leading to

4. breakdown of many guilds, innability to stay with friends, which leads to

5. no social meaning deeper than a message board, which in turn

6. leaves the game feeling like a game instead of a world.

I think that you can have the same experiences as WoW, the same fun and excitement, in a worldly game, but with the added benefits of freedom and deeper social ties that can influence the game world in ways that WoW can't.

if you think the wow grind was difficult. you obviously havent played that many online games. in all online games i have played there are 3 that the grind to max level that make wow seem easy in comaprison.

Lineage II: The grind from level to level was the most tedious of any game. 

Everquest 2: the most grooling.

LOTRO: the most boring. gawd LOTRO is based on one of the best book series in the fantasy genre yet this game is so damned boring it ruins the name.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Nothing is wrong with WoW.

Humans lack the ability to note their own selves are part of a problem.

I don't play WoW because I,  myself, got bored with that style of MMORPG. I think Blizzard made a good MMO and that it easily earned it's millions before advertising was even a part of their mass appeal strategy. 90% of it's players know a guy or gal who played and explained what it was to them.

It's a great MMORPG and being in denial about it shows the lack of intelligence in a lot of people in the community.

I got done with it and a lot of games like it. But I never saw the appeal in trying to blame the game or it's fans for that.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I have a question for the WoW haters and WoW lovers.

Did WoW kill the MMORPG genre, before or after making their game easier (as some like to put it)?

Correct me if iam wrong, But WoW was also very popular during Vanilla WoW, when Most of the player base didnt even make it to the last two tier.

And in TBC, most players never even saw Illidan/Sunwell before the WoTLK Boss Nerf to outland bosses.

So what was so easy?

In WoTLK, most guilds didnt even beat HC LK. So wtf am I missing, that other people seem to find easy?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

People hate WoW because it's popular. There really is no other reason.

It's the same reason people hated Ace of Base and the Spice Girls in their time, and it's the reason they hate Justin Beiber now. Though, I have my own reasons for hating that guy, and it's not just because people I generally hate like him.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• DaxPierceDaxPierce Member Posts: 172

There are people who hate popular things, its just the way it is. I hate Apple products personally for this very reason.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

I would like to make a question in counter:

What's so truly great about WoW?

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Ceridith

I would like to make a question in counter:

What's so truly great about WoW?

"Because all my friends play it"

"Because it was the first MMO I've played and nothing else matches up to it"

"Because I don't know any better"

Recognize any of those?

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• slessmanslessman Member Posts: 181

The problem with WoW can be summed up in two words. The Community. That's it. The problem is that the people who play the game weren't really all that nice to me when I tried it. What's the point in playing a multiplayer game when the people you play alongside don't like you and won't be nice to you while you play?

www.ryzom.com

• endersshadowendersshadow Member Posts: 296

Whats bad about WoW?

Ret Paladins.

Period.

/end thread

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

WoW is the best game on the western market period. Marketshare and numbers are facts not fantasy. If you want to invest your time in end of life games go ahead Im investing in a game that will be here for potentially my lifetime and I dont want the plug pulled by anyone else but me (for my game).

On another note rift has some massive backing and looks interesting.

• yabooeryabooer Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Did WoW kill the MMORPG genre, before or after making their game easier (as some like to put it)?

Correct me if iam wrong, But WoW was also very popular during Vanilla WoW, when Most of the player base didnt even make it to the last two tier.

And in TBC, most players never even saw Illidan/Sunwell before the WoTLK Boss Nerf to outland bosses.

So what was so easy?

In WoTLK, most guilds didnt even beat HC LK. So wtf am I missing, that other people seem to find easy?

I lol'd, they killed the genre if you ask me. MMO's were on a slope to becoming instant gratification. They were about 10-15 years away until it was how it turned out now. WoW just brought it faster.

On a side note about Pre-BC and BC, please don't even compare the two. Pre-BC raiding required strategy for the raids, I don't even believe you collect resistance gear, get attuned, farming rep with AD to get the recipes for your guild to beable to kill Sapphiron.

Litteraly working to get tier 3, to have an expansion come right through and replace our T2/3 with whites. (99% of the WoW population didn't care because they didn't make it that far) They complained on how it was too hard to get into a guild because they couldn't follow strategies. Now the strategy is "Alright we are going to do a tank n spank, make sure to move to the left every now and then for it whips" 

I can guarantee you that the twins would rape a good 90% of anyone that tried today. Also if you think the emperors were hard, try the horsemen I'd love to see any of the players do that. Of course you can't now, reduced the difficulty of Naxx by ten fold.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

1. Immature community - Worst ever and with no exxceptions.

2. Random dungeons with pugs is horrible.

3. Elitism -  "I am better than you" and "my gear is better than yours" is expressed everyday in the most immature way ever.

4. The game is a basic mmo with no thrills and frills at all.

5. Crafting is tedius and it is more of a job than something fun to do.

6. From start to finish is is the same old repetitive grind you do over and over.

The best things are...

1. They made the game soloable so you can basically ignore alot of the nonsense that comes with it.

2. Take WoW nice and easy because you rush through the game you will cause WoW burnout pretty quick because of the repetitve boring quest grind.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

Originally posted by MMOExposed

So what was so easy?

Eh it's true about TBC and that was before gear score and what not mattered. Of course my time was spent mostly pvping then. Even the open map stuff that I thought was fun.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• tikitiki Member Posts: 395

I dont blame wow, I blame the general population for enjoying extremely simple and easy games.  WoW is just the first game to supply this need to the public.

It is the same thing with pop music.  The general public does not appreciate intelligence, artistic ability, and musical talent, that is why pop music is flooded by unintelligent personalities with no musical talent who don't even write their own music.  Same goes with beer, the masses do not enjoy a nice craft brew with real flavor and passion put into the brew, they just want their watered down light beer to get fucked up with.

In other words, things with an acquired taste usually have more depth and talent involved.

East Carolina University, Computer Science BS, 2011
    --------------------
    Current game: DAOC

Games played and quit: L2, PlanetSide, RF Online, GuildWars, SWG, COH/COV, Vanguard, LOTRO, WoW, WW2 Online, FFXI, Auto-Assault, EVE Online, ShadowBane, RYL, Rappelz, Last Chaos, Myst Online, POTBS, EQ2, Warhammer Online, AoC, Aion, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Allods, Darkfall.

Waiting on: Earthrise

Names: Citio, Goldie, Sportacus

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

It is designed to be played at a high level by your average 5 year old. 

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

I just dont care for the quest system, and how lots of quests want you to run back and forth across several maps to get not much exp.  I know I could look up the most efficient quests and powerlvl up quickly, but I'd rather the full game be fun, and not just a rush to the top by doing it a step by step way.

And I just got bored with it after lvl 35-ish.  Could not bring myself to login.

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

From a personal opinion, the game has simply changed too much. The people have changed, the focus has changed, and soon the whole map will change forever. I'm not completely opposed to change. I know it is to be expected in this genre. I just miss the old game sometimes. 

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• endersshadowendersshadow Member Posts: 296

Originally posted by Wicoa

WoW is the best game on the western market period. Marketshare and numbers are facts not fantasy. If you want to invest your time in end of life games go ahead Im investing in a game that will be here for potentially my lifetime and I dont want the plug pulled by anyone else but me (for my game).

On another note rift has some massive backing and looks interesting.

"Best" is relative to each individual and for that sole reason marketshare and numbers are wortlhless.

Its people like who give WoW a bad name. Sure I play WoW and I enjoy it.

But I do not rub it in everyones face telling them its the best game, FACT! 

Do I really need to bring up the McDonalds analogy again?

I think your reasoning capabilities are best suited to Worldofwarcraft forums.

• knapleknaple Member UncommonPosts: 56

They are making everything easy in wow. Making people more lazy then they already are. It takes all the fun out of a game when you can play it pretty effortlessly. I used to be a big fan of wow when the mechanics were tricky with tanking/aggro and things like that. But all that has changed so much, now you can go through a dungeon without any worries. The tank is always going to have aggro and heals are going to have no problem healing. When a game becomes that easy it loses its appeal. I am tired of playing games with 10 years olds.

~Knaple~