Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Two Faces of WoW. WTF! I want a divorce!

Comments

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

OP - "persistent" doesn't mean anything nowadays.

And with the market evolving, companies trying to attract new and old players, some switching games like cloth, *every* MMO changes over the years.

You will not see UO being as it used to be. And I am pretty sure EQ1 isn't as it used to be. I could continue the list, but it easier to just refer to the "Game List" here on mmorpg.com

Games are too much like the real world nowadays - constantly adapting, changing, and those who can't adapt, have a tough time.... :(

imageimage

• SnichySnichy Member Posts: 5

Seems like a lot of people hate end game.  But what else is there once the levelling process finishes?  Some good suggestions might actually result in them being implemented rather than people just slagging it off without offering alternatives.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Snichy

Seems like a lot of people hate end game.  But what else is there once the levelling process finishes?  Some good suggestions might actually result in them being implemented rather than people just slagging it off without offering alternatives.

In my opinion, there need to be more OPTIONS for end game. (By the way....I don't consider repeatedly grinding the same things over and over and over for tokens or emblems for better and better gear....a GOOD end game feature. It is SO SO boring.)

WoW has -

Raiding

PvP

Achievements OCD

Playing the AH and amassing tons of gold

RP (although very few choose this route)

Make alts

EQ2 has -

Raiding

PvP (although not NEAR as developed as WoW's)

Achievements OCD

Playing the broker and amassing tons of gold

RP

Make alts

master crafter collections

regular collections

housing customization and competitions

guide events (actually...these are not only end game...anyone can participate)

AAs (this isn't necessarily an end game thing, although a lot of people do save up the completion of their AAs FOR end game)

Mentoring (which, to be fair, kind of fits in with the AAs, as it's one way to get them)

Becoming a Norrathian author writing player made books (can be done before end game, but definitely at end game)

Gathering large wardrobes of appearance gear and leveling alcohol tolerance (which most ignore until end game) by attending parties and whatnot, in your fancy clothes....lol (okay...this falls into RP too, really)

I'm sure I'm missing some things from both games. But...in my opinion...WoW falls VERY very short on end game options and while EQ2 fares far better for end game....I still want MORE.  I want to be just as busy and entertained at max level between expansions as I am the rest of the time.  Greedy?  Yes, but honest. What do I have in mind...as far as more options?  Well....

I'd like to see MORE guide events. The guide events are fun, but I would like to see them be more frequent....like a few a day, with continued awards like the guide shinies, that when collected give you VERY VERY rare items - like they do now....only more events.

More developer sponsored competitions in all areas....PvP, home decoration, etc.

I don't have a ton of ideas, but....I'm not the creative director of an MMO either.  I'm sure these creative geniuses can come up with more than what we presently have....in ANY game, not just these two.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• MilliecakeMilliecake Member Posts: 90

OP I completely understand.

I was in a similiar relationship that also lasted five years. At first, it was fantastic, everything was new and we did everything together. It was an open relationship but more and more we became exclusive til it was just me and him. I brought my friends round, he brought his and we had a lot of fun.

We had our ups and downs too, at one point I even walked out during our second year together - he was allowing people that broke the house rules to hang about instead of kicking them out - but I realised he was doing his best so I returned and he got rid of them, well most of them.

Things changed at the start of the third year, but every relationship has to evolve or it goes stagnant. It did mean some of my friends couldn't come out with us, and some stopped coming round altogether, but it was still good. We argued with our friends sometimes but we were still doing a lot together and it was never boring.

Then he changed again but again promised it would be good for us. And it was...at first. We still did everything together and rarely got bored, we laughed, cried as before. But then something else changed. He started bringing more friends home, some of whom weren't very nice or friendly. I mean, before there was always one or two who I didn't like or who were rude but now he brought more and more home. And worse, he seemed to want to spend more and more time with them instead of me. My own friends didn't like the new atmosphere either and stopped coming round.

I became something of a nag I'll admit, but the worst was to come. He used to give me presents for spending time with him which I loved to do anyway, but one day I caught him selling those same gifts to his new friends. When I asked why, he said I'd have to pay too if I wanted them. He'd stopped caring if I spent time with him. I heard the name Activision mentioned a few times from our mutual friends and began to suspect he was cheating on me.

Eventually I left before it happened. The new relationship I fell into wasn't as good though and I still felt guilty for leaving. I gathered the courage to say I wanted to try again and went back to him. But...nothing had changed. If anything it was worse. His friends laughed at me, saying I wasn't good enough to go out with them and do the things they wanted, even though I'd been a hardcore partier before, better than any of them! And he agreed with them, saying I had no life because I'd devoted it to him. All he wanted now was one thing, and it would only take 1 hour a night :(

So I ended it in June and I've been seeing others since, but nothing serious or steady, just having fun. I hear he wants me back, once he has himself sorted. That he'll have changed, that things will be the way they used to be. But he says the same things to his new friends too. I don't believe him. I'm looking forward to new relationships.

• dippitydodahdippitydodah Member Posts: 130

Originally posted by Milliecake

I was in a similiar relationship that also lasted five years. At first, it was fantastic, everything was new and we did everything together. It was an open relationship but more and more we became exclusive til it was just me and him. I brought my friends round, he brought his and we had a lot of fun.

We had our ups and downs too, at one point I even walked out during our second year together - he was allowing people that broke the house rules to hang about instead of kicking them out - but I realised he was doing his best so I returned and he got rid of them, well most of them.

Things changed at the start of the third year, but every relationship has to evolve or it goes stagnant. It did mean some of my friends couldn't come out with us, and some stopped coming round altogether, but it was still good. We argued with our friends sometimes but we were still doing a lot together and it was never boring.

Then he changed again but again promised it would be good for us. And it was...at first. We still did everything together and rarely got bored, we laughed, cried as before. But then something else changed. He started bringing more friends home, some of whom weren't very nice or friendly. I mean, before there was always one or two who I didn't like or who were rude but now he brought more and more home. And worse, he seemed to want to spend more and more time with them instead of me. My own friends didn't like the new atmosphere either and stopped coming round.

I became something of a nag I'll admit, but the worst was to come. He used to give me presents for spending time with him which I loved to do anyway, but one day I caught him selling those same gifts to his new friends. When I asked why, he said I'd have to pay too if I wanted them. He'd stopped caring if I spent time with him. I heard the name Activision mentioned a few times from our mutual friends and began to suspect he was cheating on me.

Eventually I left before it happened. The new relationship I fell into wasn't as good though and I still felt guilty for leaving. I gathered the courage to say I wanted to try again and went back to him. But...nothing had changed. If anything it was worse. His friends laughed at me, saying I wasn't good enough to go out with them and do the things they wanted, even though I'd been a hardcore partier before, better than any of them! And he agreed with them, saying I had no life because I'd devoted it to him. All he wanted now was one thing, and it would only take 1 hour a night :(

So I ended it in June and I've been seeing others since, but nothing serious or steady, just having fun. I hear he wants me back, once he has himself sorted. That he'll have changed, that things will be the way they used to be. But he says the same things to his new friends too. I don't believe him. I'm looking forward to new relationships.

did you actually read the original post... maybe your relationship failed from not listening.

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by LordDraekon

Tawess, for one thing, what I wrote is sheer speculation, but apparently, you've never taken the initiative to run a member of one race to another race's starting area and play from there. Also, those early quests are useful in gaining Reputation with that race. Many of them yield decent Rep and are a much better alternative to turning in Runecloth for 75 Rep a pop. For other race players wanting to do the Goblin or Worgen early quests and gain that Rep, those areas are closed. I fail to see the flaws.

Oh, and the Death Knight themepark ride is fun the first time. After that the luster wears off pretty quickly.

Not trying to pick on you in particular LordDraekon, so please don't take offence, but the above statement is a perfect example of what I personally find wrong with an ever increasing number of WoW players.

It seems that the game has become all about the most efficient way of grinding rather than just having fun. I mean, think about it. It's a roleplaying game. What sense does it make to have someone of race A run to the starting area of race B in order to do the quests for more efficient rep gain?

While it certainly is the most efficient way, it also breaks the immersion for me and over time makes me feel less attached to the character in question. But that's just me and how I play. If it was just me in my own merry little world, it wouldn't matter much. Alas, it matters when I then have to group with that crowd of people in order to make further progress. Then suddenly it becomes a matter of me having the required gearscore and achievements so that people know they won't have to spend time carrying me through... oh... and... I better be quick reading any new quest descriptions that we might encounter, because everybody else in the group just clicked accept the second it popped up on their screen and are already halfway into the instance AoEing mobs and I'm falling behind on the DPS meter which will soon cause someone to blow up in a rage because I must be a n00b then. Heaven forbid that I might actually want to stop and smell the air... maybe crack a joke... maybe even have fun... no, it's all about the reward and not the journey, so let's get this thing over with ASAP.

*sigh*

Cata will be fun in its own way I'm sure and I'm looking forward to it, but only really for the level 1-85 experience. Once I've done that on enough characters to satisfy me, I know I'll have to start looking elsewhere as the mentality that now permeates WoW will still be there once I reach the end game.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• MilliecakeMilliecake Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by dippitydodah

did you actually read the original post... maybe your relationship failed from not listening.

Hehe yes I did, made me look at my 'relationship' with WoW and how I ended up divorcing it myself!

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by just1opinion

Also, people have been crying out for a challenge for prety much all of WoTLK. One change that I HOPE makes it to the live realm is that recently, Blizzard severely buffed the normal mobs in the new zones of Cataclysm in the test server so that now there is actually a real danger of dying even to regular mobs while questing.

<<snip>>

Most everything they have done that has ruined the game for many of those that have left it.....was some form of proclaimed "simplification," "streamlining," or yes...just plain dumbing down.  Do you think that 5 year old Johnny is going to like that those mean mobs can now kill him?  Do you think that Super Casual Chatty Cathy will appreciate mobs being harder? For that matter....some of the powerlevelers will actually whine (mark my words) when something is difficult enough that it SLOWS THEM DOWN on their race to max level.

<<snip>>

I'm just curious what you think has been changed in wow as a result of "whining" by players.  What specific whining has ruined the game or has blizzard listend to that they shouldn't have, because of unjustified whining? 

I can think of several big changes that I didn't exactly agree with, but I clearly see the problems they were addressing.  None of which ruined the game by a long shot, but none were a result of people whining either.

I only bring this up, because in another thread you compared "the crap" from soe to be similar to that of blizzard, but the two companies seem to have vastly different approaches to how they operate. 

It is a rather well accepted viewpoint that soe doesn't listen to the views of their playerbase when they make their decisions (as stated by players and soe) and as a result has been a large contributor to much of the games problems.  There is a rather long list of changes to either specific mechanics or the overall direction of the game (eq2 in this case) that have been disfunctional, disruptive and/or things players have specifically said they do not want. 

I guess I am just having trouble trying to understand that comparison of the two when they act so drastically different from one another. 

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

If you will reread what I wrote, Faelan, you'll see that we are saying pretty much the same thing. I have never been in a Raid and only run Dungeons after the point where I can do them solo. I don't PvP and bemoan Blizzard's current focus on Arenas as an e-sport. My only reason for mentioning "Rep Farming" is that that is one of the few ways of breaking the mold so that every Orc experience is not the same as every other.

For example, the only character I've seriously worked on Reputation for is a Blood Elf Hunter. It started from the standpoint of hating the racial mount, so did the quests that gained Rep with the other races (except Tauren. Hate the Kodo more than the bird) in order to gain those mounts, all based on an RP backstory that made sense of it all. Now, with the new races, Blizzard is further compartmentalizing content, not that I'm interested in the new racial mounts, but it's the whole principle. I didn't play WoW for over a year and a half because I was tired of paying for developing content that I would never see. When I am finished exploring the new Azeroth and have played out the new race/class combinations I want to try, it will take something special for Blizzard to get any more out of me.

Heck, I wasn't that interested in Warcraft in the first place. I wanted a Diablo MMO.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• yippee22yippee22 Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Milliecake

You actually get it! Well put, my analogy was nowhere near as eloquent, well done. 8)

• agagaagaga Member Posts: 273

If you have to ask "what has changed," then you haven't been playing WoW long enough....to even understand when any of the old WoW "vets" that were there from day one....try to explain it.  If you seriously WANT a run down of what all has changed (and it has been a LOT) then be prepared to do a lot of reading here.

Do you SERIOUSLY want to know what all has changed?  Because I can certainly START typing up a post listing things......

Or would you rather wait until yippee logs in and can answer the question, since that's actually who you ASKED?

No, by all means let's have your list.

Originally posted by agaga

Originally posted by yippee22

I started with EQ. Hours at the keys, waking up with the keyboard imprinted on my forehead and a feeling of dread that I don’t remember where my corpse is or elation that I am alive! An adventure and immersion unparalleled. 5 years and not one raid. Not one. I "think" I may have done an instance or 2 but not sure. Didn't need to in order to live the alternative experience.

I quit because my wife couldn't play it. Vertigo to a horrible level and as a complete non gamer I needed her to crawl into the genre so fast forward to WoW (after a Diablo run to get her hooked 8) ). WoW was graphically different but no Vertigo for the wife; we were gaming together so I grew to love the graphics. Game play was easier, character control, targeting etc... We were gaming together so I learned to appreciate it. I think the real hook was that even though the game was so obviously a step down in immersion, it was entertaining and I had a partner in game so I was committed. I did my best to appreciate the game for what it was and ended up loving the game. The journey became awesome but I could actually walk away for a day and not have withdrawals like in EQ (literally).

Fast forward 6 years or so, I have filled every character slot i have with level 80 toons. I can have my son call me at work and start to tell me what he is supposed to be doing on a particular quest and I can finish his sentence and walk him threw the quest over the phone like giving a visitor directions to the guest bathroom in my house.

So to the point, the first WoW game is great, Discovery, Exploration, questing etc... Awesome. I could sign on everyday for months and not do the same thing twice. The second WoW game sucks, no semblance of the first game (the Journey to End Game?!?!) and do the same thing every day if you have multiple characters that all get locked to a raid every week?

I have realized that at the core I am pissed off that the game play that I pay for monthly has changed from a very fundamental stand point and that is not right.

I try to make the best of it but lets face it, I bought and played a persistent online game world that has a brick wall at the end. The game play changed, the game I bought is gone, there has been no effort to sustain the game I bought in the first place just a slow and methodical push to change my play style. I have not changed, I am still the same as I was when I committed to this path, I still want the same play you gave me when we first met. I can no longer stomach the thought of the two faced nature of your tactics so I want a divorce!

Alright, not that funny but it's the only way I can attempt to vent my point. Is there anyone else that feels the same? OR/AND Is there anyone who has another game that would play like WoW but does not change at the end?

Yes, but what specifically would you say has changed - and why is it for the worse? This is a serious question.

Super busy, will reply though.

I am not so sure a list of what changed is actually what going to help you understand the original post. It may surprise you that I don’t actually care much about mechanical changes like when the DK first came out and I could get the Howling Blast up high in the tree and frankly loved being able to do insane AoE Dmg and when they changed the talent tree, I was not pissed, I stopped playing the character for a while because I found the game play of that character changed so much from how I was playing it before that I couldn’t adjust so I just picked up another character. A very big point is that both characters were pre lvl 70 at that time so it didn’t really matter to me which toon I played because they both were in the “progression phase” or should I say they were in the part of the game I love, I signed up for and I feel the part of the game that should never go away. They were adventuring, exploring, questing and I was truly immersed in playing the character.

So what changed exactly? I can try to put it this way, if I sign on to those two characters right now, both have been lvl 80 now for quite some time, I cannot have the same experience with either of them that I could back then, why, because the game has changed. How can I list that out?

Let me go back a way and see if this little story helps (I am not much of a writer so forgive me in advance).

1985, I am spending every waking moment on an apple at school since I didn’t have a computer. playing a text MUD. So engrossed that I am beside myself with obsessive and imaginative thought that I feel fully immersed in this TEXT RPG. This goes on for a couple years, I get out of school and stop gaming for a long time.

1996 Get Diablo and am having a blast, at first it was like a graphical version of the MUD. OMG I was in heaven, for a while. I realized that this game was awesome until I finished it. Finished it? I was torn, didn’t want it to be over, in like no time I finished it, but my MUD never had an end….

Shortly after finishing it I realize that I can play this Diablo online with other people. Yes real live humans and me on the same screen killing stuff, holy crap…back in heaven doing the same thing over and over and over, with other people! Soon bored to death but it was with other people so keep drudging along.

Couple years go by, expansion!!!!  Heaven, quickly bored, drudge. Then Diablo 2, Heaven, quickly bored, drudge all the while real people so awesome in a sick way, keep playing.

OMG EverQuest………………………….just OMG, real people, better graphics, bigger everything, NEVER ENDING game. Will be the first time I ever pay monthly for a game WTF?  Well, it will be ok because it doesn’t end!! So I play EQ for 5 years, I will reiterate a statement in my OP. I never Raided, didn’t need to. I didn’t craft, cook, or anything else. I had one max toon and yes a bunch of alts and was able to just explore, quest, travel just exist in my fantasy world and always have something to do that was similar to the first week I bought it.  Around and about the time I get bored an expansion with more actual content. See, I don’t see a dungeon or a raid as content. That is not why I buy the MMORPG.

About now you need to ba asking yourself, why the heck do you leave EQ dummy? Well, wife joins the team and vertigo’s on it so good bye EQ.

2004 World Of Warcraft  cartoon graphics, wife can play, EQ killer, AWESOME, going to be bigger, better, yadda, yadda, SURPRISE – IT –WAS!! For many personal reasons the game was a good move for me. Here in lies the original issue. The game has an end!!!!!!!  WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! I get to a max level and there is truly nothing for me to do that RESEMBLES the journey to get to the max level in the first place.

Now this would be somewhat like playing friggin Diablo again expect I have been paying monthly all this time. Maybe I should have seen it coming but I didn’t. I kinda thought that they could have kept the game going, not trick me into this odd thing called “end game” that doesn’t have anything to do with the game I bought nor played to arrive at this mysterious place.

You asked

“Yes, but what specifically would you say has changed - and why is it for the worse? This is a serious question.”

I would say the short version, the game I paid for and was promised. Why is it worse, because I don’t like paying for one thing and getting another! This is a serious answer.

Originally posted by agaga

Originally posted by yippee22

I started with EQ. Hours at the keys, waking up with the keyboard imprinted on my forehead and a feeling of dread that I don’t remember where my corpse is or elation that I am alive! An adventure and immersion unparalleled. 5 years and not one raid. Not one. I "think" I may have done an instance or 2 but not sure. Didn't need to in order to live the alternative experience.

I quit because my wife couldn't play it. Vertigo to a horrible level and as a complete non gamer I needed her to crawl into the genre so fast forward to WoW (after a Diablo run to get her hooked 8) ). WoW was graphically different but no Vertigo for the wife; we were gaming together so I grew to love the graphics. Game play was easier, character control, targeting etc... We were gaming together so I learned to appreciate it. I think the real hook was that even though the game was so obviously a step down in immersion, it was entertaining and I had a partner in game so I was committed. I did my best to appreciate the game for what it was and ended up loving the game. The journey became awesome but I could actually walk away for a day and not have withdrawals like in EQ (literally).

Fast forward 6 years or so, I have filled every character slot i have with level 80 toons. I can have my son call me at work and start to tell me what he is supposed to be doing on a particular quest and I can finish his sentence and walk him threw the quest over the phone like giving a visitor directions to the guest bathroom in my house.

So to the point, the first WoW game is great, Discovery, Exploration, questing etc... Awesome. I could sign on everyday for months and not do the same thing twice. The second WoW game sucks, no semblance of the first game (the Journey to End Game?!?!) and do the same thing every day if you have multiple characters that all get locked to a raid every week?

I have realized that at the core I am pissed off that the game play that I pay for monthly has changed from a very fundamental stand point and that is not right.

I try to make the best of it but lets face it, I bought and played a persistent online game world that has a brick wall at the end. The game play changed, the game I bought is gone, there has been no effort to sustain the game I bought in the first place just a slow and methodical push to change my play style. I have not changed, I am still the same as I was when I committed to this path, I still want the same play you gave me when we first met. I can no longer stomach the thought of the two faced nature of your tactics so I want a divorce!

Alright, not that funny but it's the only way I can attempt to vent my point. Is there anyone else that feels the same? OR/AND Is there anyone who has another game that would play like WoW but does not change at the end?

Yes, but what specifically would you say has changed - and why is it for the worse? This is a serious question.

My book above was in reply to this 

• ThyarThyar Member Posts: 17

I loved WoW.

But love and relationship are not the same - simply because just as one can love someone without being in a relationship with them, one can be in a relationship without loving them.

I'm no longer in love with WoW.

I'm also no longer in a relationship with (i.e. I'm no longer playing) WoW.

I'll always cherish the good times I had.

I'll always remember the significant players who helped make that game magical for me.

I know for sure that I really won't ever be going back.

I sold and gave away all my stuff.  I deleted all my toons.  I uninstalled the game.  And even though I am glad to share my positive experiences about the game, in places like this, with others - I never feel the urge to go back.

For all of you who still love, and who are having a great game-playing relationship with, WoW - keep right on enjoying it as much as you can.  Because one day, the situation may change (as much as it seems as if that never will happen from where you are right now).

Hopefully, when that day comes, you will be able to look back without regret and with wisdom learned - instead of being as bitter as some have become due to their broken hearts and the breakup.

Peace.

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway.

Originally posted by Daffid011

Also, people have been crying out for a challenge for prety much all of WoTLK. One change that I HOPE makes it to the live realm is that recently, Blizzard severely buffed the normal mobs in the new zones of Cataclysm in the test server so that now there is actually a real danger of dying even to regular mobs while questing.

<>

Most everything they have done that has ruined the game for many of those that have left it.....was some form of proclaimed "simplification," "streamlining," or yes...just plain dumbing down.  Do you think that 5 year old Johnny is going to like that those mean mobs can now kill him?  Do you think that Super Casual Chatty Cathy will appreciate mobs being harder? For that matter....some of the powerlevelers will actually whine (mark my words) when something is difficult enough that it SLOWS THEM DOWN on their race to max level.

<>

I'm just curious what you think has been changed in wow as a result of "whining" by players.  What specific whining has ruined the game or has blizzard listend to that they shouldn't have, because of unjustified whining? 

I can think of several big changes that I didn't exactly agree with, but I clearly see the problems they were addressing.  None of which ruined the game by a long shot, but none were a result of people whining either.

...clipped for brevity...

Well...off the top of my head the things that come to mind are the taking away of unique classes to Horde and Alliance when they gave the Alliance shamans so they could start omgwtfpwning in PvP (in their minds, on OUR server...Horde having shamans was why the Alliance sucked). This proved to not be the case...they STILL sucked after they got the shammies they whined for.

The other one that comes to mind is during the scourge event before WotLK expansion release. O M F G I have never seen so many whining babies in all my life....no exaggeration there.  They whine on the forums for something live and interactive and Blizzard gives them something that was chaotic (and fun, imo) and fit PERFECTLY with the story of what was coming about....and people whined until Blizzard stopped it. That even was set to go on longer than it did, but....the pressure apparently was too much. Some people just hated that the zombies and the contagion of the scourge slowed down their precious progress.  GAH.  At that point, I sort of felt sorry for Blizzard, because....they couldn't win for losing.  People asked for things to make the world more unpredictable and "alive"....they deliver....then....more bitching.  *sigh*

Those were the two things that just popped into my head right off.

Let's see....also the de-uberfying (yeah...made up word) of death knights was due to ridiculous amounts of whining on the forums. God forbid that a hero class actually seem oh....I don't know....HEROIC.

Oh yeah...and DHKs....way back during vanilla.  People whined about dishonorable kills.... they got removed. This really sucked because....DHKs actually kept high level players from ganking lowbies so much because for every DHK they got for ganking someone more than 10 level lower than them....they had to get TWO HKs to make up for it in their honor count.  But...it was inconvenient to some people, I guess, for some reason.  I understand the DHKs for NPCs being kind of a pain when you were raiding a city, but they took those away FIRST....THEN....more whining on the forums....then away went the lowbie ganker DHKs. *sigh*

Hmmm....if I thought about it some more I could probably come up with more. If you search the forums on those things...you'll SEE the whining, provided they didn't delete all of that.

Just stuff from MY experience on Lothar and Tanaris. To me...it just appeared that if you were REALLY noisy about something....Blizzard would just change it, no matter what.  And some of the things they changed and got rid of....were things that some people (including myself) actually liked.

• AmarandesAmarandes Member Posts: 104

Let's see....also the de-uberfying (yeah...made up word) of death knights was due to ridiculous amounts of whining on the forums. God forbid that a hero class actually seem oh....I don't know....HEROIC.

Why in the world would you want Blizzard to purposely leave a class overpowered? That is just bad design. An overpowered class would just own everyone in PvP and eventually everyone will want to play that class and all of the other classes become abandonded. The only thing heroic about a death knight is that it gets to start at level 55 instead of level 1.

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

You will all be back for Cataclysm

and remember

You can never jump in the river in the same place twice....

• rbc13183rbc13183 Member Posts: 208

Sorry to hear about that, Yippee. I totally feel your pain, and I believe our reasons for losing that "feeling" are similar. Keep GW2 on your "to play" list, and maybe it will bring you back to that place again. Hopefully, at least....

"Everyone dies. It is how one lives that matters."
    — Artemis Entreri (R.A. Salvatore)

"P.S. MAKE NO DEALS WITH THE WOLF." -Durzo Blint-

"But, there is one they fear.

In their tongue, he is Dovahkiin -- Dragonborn!" -Game of the Century-

• rbc13183rbc13183 Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by Amarandes

Why in the world would you want Blizzard to purposely leave a class overpowered? That is just bad design. An overpowered class would just own everyone in PvP and eventually everyone will want to play that class and all of the other classes become abandonded. The only thing heroic about a death knight is that it gets to start at level 55 instead of level 1.

What this one said. I never agreed with the whole "hero" class idea. I thought it was stupid before it even got out the gate. A class that is MEANT to be overpowered? Of course people were going to whine!! This was one of the few times where the public's whining was actually justified. There's just way too many reasons why having hero classes was a stupid idea.

"Everyone dies. It is how one lives that matters."
    — Artemis Entreri (R.A. Salvatore)

"P.S. MAKE NO DEALS WITH THE WOLF." -Durzo Blint-

"But, there is one they fear.

In their tongue, he is Dovahkiin -- Dragonborn!" -Game of the Century-

• KidfierceKidfierce Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Lille7

Originally posted by Shadowrunn3r

Originally posted by jvxmtg

You are not alone. By the time Blizzard started rolling out info about Cataclysm, I feel the same way. The hunter I grew with for 5 years is gone. Everything I know about my hunter has been flushed down the drain and Blizzard is forcing me to relearn everything. And I agree, WoW is no longer the game I purchased and I divorced WoW back in June.

Break the chains. Be free.

I've been separated from my ex (wow) for 7 months so far.  Im pretty confidant that im finally clean, I am free.  I have beat the system. image

Ah that sense of freedom. I've been off wow for about 6 months myself (and this was a relapse :'( ). My problem is that I'm still checking up on the game, looking at mmo-champ a couple of times a week, and sometimes I get the urge to resub, but I knowIi will regret if after 15 minutes :/

And at the OP, i completely agree with you, the game you start with is not the game you end up with.

Do like I do if you feel the need to resub.  Go read one of their realm forums.   Just randomly pick a realm and read.  It'll remind of you of all the childish content that Actizzard has put into the game and what their target demographic is now.   I'll give you a hint:  Mohawk Grenade.   It isn't for adults anymore.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

Originally posted by Amarandes

Actually, you just helped to prove the point. Death Knights were neutered because of the whining of everyone who wasn't playing them. People who were playing other classes whined because they started at level 55. People questing in the Outlands hated them because that's where they soon ended up to quest. People who, for one reason or another, didn't buy the expansion and people who hadn't leveled to 50 (dropped from 70 or 80, as I recall)  hated them because they couldn't play one. People who were obsessed with gear-grinding hated them because they came into the larger world with a full set of cool-looking Blue grade gear that actually matched! But the loudest moan came from the PvPers who couldn't immediately "pwn" the newcomers right out of the gate. They never even tried to develop strategies, they just whined - loudly! It's a wonder Death Grip is still in the DK's repertoire at all as that seemed to be the loudest complaint. It was another sad case of how trying to balance for PvP completely ruined a fun, new class.

As for thinking that other classes would be abandoned, that's simply absurd. Maybe you only chase after the Flavor-of-the-Month, but the vast majority of us enjoy variety. That's why WoW still gives you 50 alts to play around with. 

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

Originally posted by orlac

and remember

Wrong.

I'm very happily playing EQ2....have been for years.  I actually wanted to play it before I STARTED playing WoW, but had to wait for my new computer to arrive in Feb. 2005.  I started WoW in Nov. 2004.  And NOW....I officially have spent more time in EQ2 than WoW, since I finally left Blizzard's stranglehold in Feb. of this year.

I don't miss WoW.  I miss what WoW USED to be and is no longer. It's not going to return to that state.

The only game I will be taking time off from EQ2 for....is TSW.  And GW2 I intend to play right alongside EQ2.

Not everyone is forever seduced by WoW. Some people actually leave and do not return. Blizzard LONG AGO crossed the point of no return for me.  Once you step over that boundary....there's just no turning back.  It would be like going back to my ex-husband who punched me in the jaw one time.  ONE motha fuckin' time. Unlike some women....I left that asshole and never looked back.  I don't give second chances to abusers whether they are abusing me personally, my pocket book, or my time.

I like myself too much to ever play WoW again. LOL

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by orlac

and remember

I haven't played since January. I had played off and on before, usually a month or so would pass before I would get the pull to play again. I don't feel it this time. Most of it has to do with that almost everyone I knew and were friends with in the game have quit. And honestly mmorpgs are crap games when played alone. I had good times with the game but sometimes you just get tired of it.

!