Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Fighting Talk: LoTRO vs. WoW

Comments

• Leviathon77Leviathon77 Member UncommonPosts: 42

Crafting was missed in the comparison, a system to which WoW fails miserably in comparison to LotRO.

• xixTHORxixxixTHORxix Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Leviathon77

Crafting was missed in the comparison, a system to which WoW fails miserably in comparison to LotRO.

That is a good point. 

Like was mentioned earlier, assuming each "section" is equal is poor.  I value PvP much more than new player experience.  I value End-game content much more than community.  Assuming 5 pts in new-player experience is the same at 5pts in PvP is subjective and anyone who plays LOTRO or WoW should look at this assessment objectively and not solely quantitatively.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Good point, how could a reviewer miss crafting?  A large over sight.  

Have to agree on your assessment too, Wow's crafting is an afterthought while Lotro has a pretty decent system.

• bestiacorpusbestiacorpus Member Posts: 114

WoW crafting? 3/10

1 point for effort

1 point for difficulty

1 point for... 2-3hours of "something" to do in the end game level hahahaha

I think people only get tradeskills, in WoW, for the bonuses and because the raider theorycrafting min-maxers say so. LMAO

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Good point, how could a reviewer miss crafting?  A large over sight.  

Have to agree on your assessment too, Wow's crafting is an afterthought while Lotro has a pretty decent system.

Yeah good points, if he added crafting then I believe it would tip the score the other way...or at least make it even. 

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• J0K3R_3DJ0K3R_3D Member Posts: 82

This is kinda dated isnt it?

Well either way I agree. LotRO is the only MMO that took me away from WoW for more than a couple months. It ripped me away from WoW for a little over a year and if it wasnt for the Mines of Moria's boring end game, progression, and environment, I wouldve stayed longer. Its a shame it ended up having to go F2P. I had some good times in that game :'(

Ultimately, WoW won. I keep coming back to it and will probably stay there well into Cataclysm until TERA. Hopefully TERA will do what LotRO fell short of doing.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

LOTRO is even easier to play than WoW. I find them both boring. At least, WoW can distract me with BGs for a week or two. I just got bored of killing boars and bears in LOTRO without ever dying

• I tried WoW... I managed to get to 67 before leaving.

You know that taste you get after eating McDonalds? Not the initial taste, which is quite sweet and quite good, but that nasty cardboard omg wtf have I just eaten taste you get about 2 minutes after?

Well it was like that for me. WoW gameplay is extremely unhealthy because it trains you to be completely concerned about gear. Running instances is not unlike gambling. For many, just as fast food and gambling is an instant gratification that is acceptable to them, so is WoW.

LOTRO generally attracts people with a little more depth and higher expectations about what gaming is. I hope the best for LOTRO, let's see what happens with the F2P move.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

I've played almost every major MMO. When I play them, some I enjoy enough to sub, others I put down. However, there hasn't been one MMO to this day I didn't go "WoW does this better." Every MMO I've played has eventually been canceled and I've returned to WoW. Call me a fanboy, but I just don't feel the quality of product in any other game than WoW. My xfire hours prove that immensely.

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

WoW should be at 100, and LoTRO should be at 50.

You can't compare the two. Hell, you can't compare any MMORPG to date to WoW in terms of content and quality. I'm not saying this because I'm a fanboy (hell, I haven't subbed to WoW in half a year), I'm saying this because I am an investor.

Would I invest in Activision Blizzard or Turbine?

Lets see, Turbine is owned, ultimately, by Time Warner. Time Warner is a GIANT corporation that has many damn categories of entertainment, and communication that I do not follow. On top of that, LoTRO ended up being pulled into a F2P world. Granted, F2P may be the risk it needs to take to generate more revenue but....

Can it compete w/ the 10 million subscribers of Activision Blizzard? Can it compete w/ the fact that WoTLK was just released in China?

No, no it cannot. Not to mention the fact that Time Warner stock prices have been dropping since 2001.

Activision Blizzard's stock recently dropped in Q3, God knows why...especially with StarCraft 2 released, but Q4 is coming up. And with Q4, means a bunch of raging fanboys are gonna be buying:

WoW Cataclsym

MW: Black Ops

If the general population is flocking to buy a certain game, and the stock prices show it, that said game is the best of it's kind. This article was opinionated to living hell and not logical in anyway.

(And if I'm wrong about Activision Blizzard....meh, still got the good ol' gold and oil....or hell, my actual job).

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • KingKong007KingKong007 Member Posts: 149

In all categories WOW beats the hell out of Lotro in this review.

All except "group" play: a JOKE when you consider WOW has the X cross dungeon server now which lets you group up anytime 24/7 in even 6 year old dungeons.

And "community", which ia a laugh anyway, since you play MMO's with friends and guilds as a mainstay for any MMO.

---

Furthermore NO PvP for Lotro and ...

only WOW has that quick responsive controls of the avatars. Not unimportant for a .... video game.

Lotro is unresponsive (like we have seen so many times in other "mmo's").

The 12.000.000 votes spoke .

@ KingKong: Dear god man calm down sorry your mmorpg is not loved and worshiped by everyone.  

I respect that you like WoW but no need to get all worked up about it.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by KingKong007

Originally posted by Lienhart

You can't compare the two. Hell, you can't compare any MMORPG to date to WoW in terms of content and quality. I'm not saying this because I'm a fanboy (hell, I haven't subbed to WoW in half a year), I'm saying this because I am an investor.

Lets see, Turbine is owned, ultimately, by Time Warner. Time Warner is a GIANT corporation that has many damn categories of entertainment, and communication that I do not follow. On top of that, LoTRO ended up being pulled into a F2P world. Granted, F2P may be the risk it needs to take to generate more revenue but....

Can it compete w/ the 10 million subscribers of Activision Blizzard? Can it compete w/ the fact that WoTLK was just released in China?

No, no it cannot. Not to mention the fact that Time Warner stock prices have been dropping since 2001.

Activision Blizzard's stock recently dropped in Q3, God knows why...especially with StarCraft 2 released, but Q4 is coming up. And with Q4, means a bunch of raging fanboys are gonna be buying:

WoW Cataclsym

If the general population is flocking to buy a certain game, and the stock prices show it, that said game is the best of it's kind. This article was opinionated to living hell and not logical in anyway.

(And if I'm wrong about Activision Blizzard....meh, still got the good ol' gold and oil....or hell, my actual job).

Don't bother.

This site is known for its WOW bashing all over the internet.

The article is a joke really. Just to attract more hits to sell them to their advertisers.

You should be ASHAMED as a website which calls itself "mmorpg.com".

12.000.000 paying  votes spoke.

There more people driving Ford Fiesta's then there are Lamborghini's, which one would you rather have?

WoW's subs are more down to accessibility and ease for the casual player, then down to superlative mmorpg-esque content. Yes it does alot of things well and i'm certainly not saying LOTRO is better then it, but simply stating numbers doesn't tell the whole story now does it.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

There more people driving Ford Fiesta's then there are Lamborghini's, which one would you rather have?

WoW's subs are more down to accessibility and ease for the casual player, then down to superlative mmorpg-esque content. Yes it does alot of things well and i'm certainly not saying LOTRO is better then it, but simply stating numbers doesn't tell the whole story now does it.

PAID votes always win dude.

Lotro is becoming free to play since no one wanted to pay no longer.

Actually no the game was pretty active...they decided to go F2P due to the success of DDO going to the hybrid model.

EDIT:Not because the game was dead or dying.

Originally posted by SgtFrog

Actually no the game was pretty active...they decided to go F2P due to the success of DDO going to the hybrid model.

EDIT:Not because the game was dead or dying.

Who says so ? Not Forbes who made up the top 20 of MMO's based on revenue.

And be honest here : ... with THIS LORE and then coming up with under 200K subs ..?

Free to play is the last stage for survival.

Getting money from an ever thinning group of people who want to see more until nobody's there anymore in the end.

Wait wut, 12 million people have voted ? I wasn't even aware that there was a poll to this thread.

Seriously though, just saying '12 million!!' doesn't actually mean alot in relation to the crux of this thread. More people eat burger kings then eat filet mignon, by your reasoning that is not because BK is more accessible and easy to 'get into' then filet, but because it's actually better then it....

I'll reiterate, I personally have no opinion on which is a better game of these two, I can't abide either of them.

Wait wut, 12 million people have voted ? I wasn't even aware that there was a poll to this thread.

Seriously though, just saying '12 million!!' doesn't actually mean alot in relation to the crux of this thread. More people eat burger kings then eat filet mignon, by your reasoning that is not because BK is more accessible and easy to 'get into' then filet, but because it's actually better then it....

I'll reiterate, I personally have no opinion on which is a better game of these two, I can't abide either of them.

PAID votes always win. In this case ALL restaurants have the same price.

The makers of Lotro should be ashamed they couldn't even succeed in getting anthing near 300K with THIS LORE.

Remember their slogan? "The game that would rule them all".

Yep sure.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

WoW Cataclsym

Don't bother.

The article is a joke really. Just to attract more hits to sell them to their advertisers.

simply stating numbers doesnt tell the whole story that is true, but how those numbers fluctuate, particularly in a downward direction.. does give you a fair indication, Lotro is one of those games that should have been great, but it wasnt... i dont know that going F2P will actually improve things, i rather suspect that it will have the opposite effect.. long term at least, for me, i can honestly say that the lack of pvp (monster play didnt really count imo) wasnt an issue, lotro isnt meant to be a pvp orientated game, but rather a storyline driven one, its not a bad game, but it is let down by its gameplay, which, tbh, is a bit boring... bordering on frustrating at times.. its not a recipe for success. Lotro struggles in areas where WoW excels, in combat alone, lotro seems to add complexity in an area that doesnt need it, even crafting, yes, the crafting in lotro is arguably better than wow, but is it more fun? so.. do numbers tell everything about the game, no they dont, but they give you one hell of an insight into it regardless.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

When talking numbers one has to consider the Chinese. I dont think WOW has much competition in China which from my understanding count for over half of its accounts.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

@bunnyhopper

Neither, I own a Corolla and a Lotus Elise (probably switch to Exige in 2012 or 2013).

The analogy you just stated was stupid as hell, I mean, your name is pretty damn clever so I was expecting a clever response, but I wasn't expecting a response that wasn't thought through.

Both games, LoTRO and WoW, are avaliable at the same maintenance price ($14.99/m). One game, is about to become a giant variable. In order to become "better", it needs to pull in $14.99 x 8 million (lets be modest lol). It is not going to pull that much income.

If we were comparing a Corolla vs a Honda Civic, or a Lamborgini with a Ferrari, then we could talk and I'd actually have to do some stock research to see what the majority believes to be better.

Lets simplify this for you, because I'm expecting, from your response, that logic is something very hard to grasp.

A Corolla and a Lotus Elise is targeted at two very different audiences. I am the only person that I know that owns these two combinations. I know 2 Ferrari owners, that own BMWs and Benz as "transportation" cars (this is the closest combination I know that has the price gap ratio close to an Elise vs. Corolla). The Corolla is my transportation car. The Elise, is my track car. It is also my "lol fuck you you said I'd fail at life but I'm only 23 and own something you'll never have" car.

Now, if you reread the above, besides my bragging, both are cars; yes, but they serve a different purpose. They are, also, targetted at a different niche/audience. Both LoTRO and WoW are targetted at the same market and audience. The "analogy", which is supposed to be a comparasion of something similiar, is automatically invalid due to the basis of said analogy not matching.

I will state it again, because I know you will have a hard time understanding. LoTRO and WoW are targetted at the same audience, and both had the same upkeep. Therefore, anyone who can afford one can afford the other. The two become comparable and one can make a choice between the two. LoTRO going F2P does not change the fact that anyone who can afford WoW can afford LoTRO. However, a person who owns a Corolla may not be able to afford a Lotus Elise. A person who owns a Lotus Elise, has a choice to own a Corolla or a Civic. Therefore, it is very hard to state which car is better, in terms of praticality, usage, and mileage when you can't own one.

Oh, and by the way, I thought of one way to compare the logic you stated. World of Warcraft pulls more income, therefore has a higher net gain since inception than LoTRO. Because a Ferrari costs much more than any Ford (except the Ford GT), WoW can be compared to a Ferrari due to total worth since inception.

(And btw, my Corolla has 650,xxx mileage. My Else will die before it hits 100,000 probably, Corolla > Elise).

Originally posted by Philby

When talking numbers one has to consider the Chinese. I dont think WOW has much competition in China which from my understanding count for over half of its subs.

Lotro WAS launched in China.

It didn't bring them either to the famous Forbes top 20 which simply is based on revenue.

And like I said all restaurants have the same price in this game. (except for the FTP ones but they don't show up on that list either).

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Originally posted by Philby

When talking numbers one has to consider the Chinese. I dont think WOW has much competition in China which from my understanding count for over half of its subs.

Lotro WAS launched in China.

It didn't bring them either to the famous Forbes top 20 which simply is based on revenue.

And like I said all restaurants have the same price in this game. (except for the FTP ones but they don't show up on that list either).

I didnt know LOTRO was launced in China.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

Originally posted by Phry

WoW Cataclsym

Don't bother.

simply stating numbers doesnt tell the whole story that is true, but how those numbers fluctuate, particularly in a downward direction.. does give you a fair indication, Lotro is one of those games that should have been great, but it wasnt... i dont know that going F2P will actually improve things, i rather suspect that it will have the opposite effect.. long term at least, for me, i can honestly say that the lack of pvp (monster play didnt really count imo) wasnt an issue, lotro isnt meant to be a pvp orientated game, but rather a storyline driven one, its not a bad game, but it is let down by its gameplay, which, tbh, is a bit boring... bordering on frustrating at times.. its not a recipe for success. Lotro struggles in areas where WoW excels, in combat alone, lotro seems to add complexity in an area that doesnt need it, even crafting, yes, the crafting in lotro is arguably better than wow, but is it more fun? so.. do numbers tell everything about the game, no they dont, but they give you one hell of an insight into it regardless.

I agree to an extent, but as I've tried to make clear in my previous couple of posts i'm not talking about Lotro, so lets forget that for now.

People will give WOW 10/10 for crafting, pvp, everything, and back up that by saying 'but 12million people dude'. Sub numbers reflect two things, the accessibility of a game and what the consumerbase at the time is actively looking for.

WOW gets 10/10 for attracting and retaining the current mmo market average consumer, but that in no way, shape, or form means that it automatically warrants high marks in every catagory.

@bunnyhopper

Yes it does, because that's what the majority wants. The market doesn't give a rats ass what YOU want. The target audience is the same, therefore whoever successfully captures and capitalizes on said audience wins.

It's like Windows 7 vs. Mac OS or Firefox vs Internet Explorer. If you start pulling out "which one is bettar??!?!" article, I'm gonna say you're biased as hell and stupid. It doesn't matter whether or not the said audience or market is educated to make a choice, it matters which one is used more. Which ever is used more is automatically the winner and better product. Depending on the margin of sale difference, one can award a market out of 100 for meeting the market's demand. Automatically, Windows 7 is better than MAC OS when used BY THE TARGET POPULATION (if you're a graphics designer, things start to get complicated because M$ never exactly marketed itself at that target).

And by the same logic, IE8 and better than Firefox. However, I use Firefox because I prefer it over IE8. it is not BETTER than IE8 or else everyone would be like me.

Learn to seperate personal feelings from logic during debates.