Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is My computer good for gaming? "Specs"

dominion1234dominion1234 Member Posts: 13

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: INTEL_

System Model: D915GEV_

BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/22/06 23:50:09 Ver: 08.00.10

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 1022MB RAM

Page File: 651MB used, 1761MB available

Windows Dir: C:WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT  

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 9800 GT

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Display Memory: 1024.0 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (70Hz)

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 4/3/2010 22:55:32, 6432128 bytes

Is my system good for gaming? The only thing I see that is a little low is my processor, but I cant do anything about that. 

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Your video card is decent enough, even if a few years old.  Your processor is really obsolete, though, and you'll be processor bound in a lot of games that you play.  You don't have much memory either, which will also be a problem for some games.

An inadequate video card can often be addressed by turning video settings down, but that doesn't work nearly so well for an inadequate processor.  If you're much of a gamer, you really should get a better processor.  That will require a new motherboard in order to get a modern processor socket, and the new motherboard will presumably take DDR3 memory.

• dominion1234dominion1234 Member Posts: 13

Well I dont play many graphically intense games. I can play crysis fine on medium to high settings suprisingly. 

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Upgrade the CPU, Graphics and a bit more ram and you'll be golden. How it stands now your CPU will almost bottleneck your graphics. Highly recommend upgrading this. The rest is good however an extra GB or 2 of Ram would also help. Any spare money after that think about going for a new graphics card but a 9800 isn't to bad.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

9800 is decent, 1600x1200 will strain it a bit on most of this years titles, But as said the CPU will hold it back.

I would so so much recommned upgrading from 1gb, that is far from adequate, even a year or so ago. You would notice a huge ammount of system responsiveness just going up to 2gb. Going to 3 a little more, after than not so much without a whole system overhaul.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

How do you upgrade RAM? Also, I dont have enough money to get a new processor right now. It plays fine on most games, just lags here and there. 

Whoa, I just upgraded to 2 gigs of ram ( had one laying around) and its alot faster... I can play crysis warhead on max graphics and good fps 

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Yeah, with only 1GB, you were almost certainly running out of memory in spots, which forces the system to store the extra on the hard drive.

It's kind of like delivering mail in an F1 racer, but if the race car runs out of room, you deliver the rest on foot. Some of that mail is going to be late :)

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

how can you play crysis on max with that?  warhead must have lowered the requirments a lot.

other then the CPU and RAM, it's not bad.  you have the same graphics card i do.  except mine has 1024MB DDR3, dunno if yours does.

• ironleviironlevi Member Posts: 122

Originally posted by dominion1234

Whoa, I just upgraded to 2 gigs of ram ( had one laying around) and its alot faster... I can play crysis warhead on max graphics and good fps 

???? No way in hell. Unless you think "good" fps is 15. 

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292

Originally posted by ironlevi

???? No way in hell. Unless you think "good" fps is 15. 

His screen resolution is only 1280x1024, which reduces needed computer power. And, Crysis Warhead is less demanding than Crysis was when it came out.

And, some people do play at low frame rates. Just the other day I found a YouTube video from many years ago, the guy was playing Eye of the Tiger, at 8fps ...

EDIT:  Added the word "needed" for clarity.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

Now ive upgraded to Windows 7, directx 11, 5 gigs of ram, etc... and its running MUCH smoother. I can now play Just Cause 2 on high graphics smoothly.

Yea my graphics card has 1 gig of ddr3. It works great.

Originally posted by Tazlor

how can you play crysis on max with that?  warhead must have lowered the requirments a lot.

other then the CPU and RAM, it's not bad.  you have the same graphics card i do.  except mine has 1024MB DDR3, dunno if yours does.

Now ive upgraded to Windows 7, directx 11, 5 gigs of ram, etc... and its running MUCH smoother. I can now play Just Cause 2 on high graphics smoothly.

Windows 7 won't, in itself, help much.  It's not a DirectX 11 system unless you got a DirectX 11 video card, as your 9800 GT can't do DirectX 11.  5 GB of memory is entirely the wrong amount.  Figure out which memory modules are how much, and most likely you can pull out a 1 GB module and make your memory channels match, which will improve memory bandwidth.  Did you replace the processor and motherboard, too?

No, I didnt change my processor or motherboard because the prices start to go up really high there....I figure ill just make THIS machine the best it can be, then when I get enough spare change, buy a new one.

And yes, it is DirectX 11

And yes, it is DirectX 11

Yes, your operating system support DX11, it's your video card that can't.

That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

No, I didnt change my processor or motherboard because the prices start to go up really high there....I figure ill just make THIS machine the best it can be, then when I get enough spare change, buy a new one.

If you didn't replace your processor, then you didn't fix the problem, and your system won't run games well.  The memory was likely a problem, too, but if you bought more DDR2 memory, then you'll have to replace it anyway when you replace the processor, so it was a waste of money.  The OS wasn't your problem in the first place.  I sure hope you got a 64-bit version of Windows 7, not 32-bit.

Also, if you won't believe me about your video card not being able to handle DirectX 11, then maybe you'll believe Nvidia.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9800gt_us.html

I have 3 sticks of DDR3 memory. ( 2 gigs, 2 gigs, and 1 gig. I will prolly take the 1 gig out so they sync better).

My DxDiag says i have directx 11, and games run fine. I can play crysis demo and crysis warhead on high settings ( not max) with great fps. I can also play Just Cause 2 on high with great fps, and pretty much any other game I throw at my machine.

I just researched Nvidia website and they said you can run directx11 with my card, but it wont support the features of it (like the 3D ones, etc.) How would I downgrade to Directx10/?

I just researched Nvidia website and they said you can run directx11 with my card, but it wont support the features of it (like the 3D ones, etc.) How would I downgrade to Directx10/?

You don't "downgrade". Your system will run whatever it's capable of, and not bother trying to run anything it can't. The vast majority of games are still at DX9, actually. But if the game happens to support some DX10 features, your card will have that option. If the game happens to support some DX11 features, your system probably won't even bother trying to run them (unless there are a select few that your card does support).

But this is all handled by the card drivers.

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292

I have 3 sticks of DDR3 memory. ( 2 gigs, 2 gigs, and 1 gig. I will prolly take the 1 gig out so they sync better).

The RAM will not "sync" better. Having two sticks of identical memory in a motherboard that supports two or four sticks of RAM will use Dual Channel, which GREATLY increases data flow over single channel.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

If you have a Pentium 4, then it's extremely unlikely that you have DDR3 memory.  The LGA 775 socket was introduced shortly before the Pentium 4 was replaced by the Pentium D, and DDR3 memory wasn't introduced until the LGA 775 socket was pretty much obsolete 4 years later.