Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is pay per month?

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by tillamook

Rummor was in the begining, it's going to be $12.99 per month, with some fluff items and services. Remember the supposed "leak thread" on a certain site before the game was announced? Whoever wrote that has been 100% correct on every aspect they posted. Which leads me to belive it was actually done on purpose by someone tied to BioWare. If that's the case you will pay for the game, but not as much as everyone thinks. Eitherway all any of us can do is wait and see.

Wasn't that allegedly dug up out of a dumpster? You're right though, most of what it entailled has come to be a reality.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171

Originally posted by neorandom

all i know is if they dont make jump to lightspeed space content for swtor, i wont play it. if its space on rails starfox 1 ship per class shooter, with mediocre ground play, well wtf, what rubbish!

If that's the type of MMO you are looking for then don't waste your time watching SWTOR, it's clearly a "ground play" MMO in the typical sense and the space shooter element is exactly that, just an element. I doubt you will be limited to just one ship but they have more or less announced that it is a shooter on rails, which if the trailer is anything to go by looks a lot of fun. If that's not your bag look at something like Black Prophecy or Jumpgate Evolution.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,166

Originally posted by Malickie

Rummor was in the begining, it's going to be $12.99 per month, with some fluff items and services. Remember the supposed "leak thread" on a certain site before the game was announced? Whoever wrote that has been 100% correct on every aspect they posted. Which leads me to belive it was actually done on purpose by someone tied to BioWare. If that's the case you will pay for the game, but not as much as everyone thinks. Eitherway all any of us can do is wait and see.

Wasn't that allegedly dug up out of a dumpster? You're right though, most of what it entailled has come to be a reality.

No, you're thinking of another one. There was a post about 1 1/2 before the game was announced. That admlriker guy you speak of just went off what was said in the post I'm talking about.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Malickie

No, you're thinking of another one. There was a post about 1 1/2 before the game was announced. That admlriker guy you speak of just went off what was said in the post I'm talking about.

You're right, I remember which post you're talking about now.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

I would be wiling to pay $25-$40 a month if it meant no microtransactions. Honest to goodness people do not seem to realise all these f2p games just end up making you pay more if you are not careful. Lot of people seem to be tunnel visioned where they see  P2P as evil without realsing how much they are actually spending on the "free" to play games.

Chamber of Chains

Originally posted by cheyane

I would be wiling to pay $25-$40 a month if it meant no microtransactions. Honest to goodness people do not seem to realise all these f2p games just end up making you pay more if you are not careful. Lot of people seem to be tunnel visioned where they see  P2P as evil without realsing how much they are actually spending on the "free" to play games.

yep, that or you can grind 300 levels to get the stuff you want. Most people can't hold out that long and just end up buying items, or leaving.

SWG Bloodfin vet

Not sure if anyone here ever noticed this before, but here it is again. Most likley, like I said $12.99 and some kind of ingame store. Hopefully they won't fleece the players to bad.

SWG Bloodfin vet

dbl post

SWG Bloodfin vet

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by TheUnknownM

i can't get this game if i have to pay per month i hate games paying 15$ a month

And I hate freeloaders. Thereisnosuchthingasfreelunch.

No offense, but every single f2p game was mired by terrible community. People usually are way less dedicated with the fleeting game hoppers who play today this game, tomorrow another and the day after even another. How can one built lasting communities on this?

No, I vividly, passionately hate F2P. Usually it means paying for extra items, and I hate that just as much as the damage to the community it does.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

Originally posted by arieste

I certainly hope it's a monthly fee.  I hate this new "pay per use" or "pay for stuff" shit.  I give you $15 a month, you keep the game running and update and you give me access to everything in the game.

amen to that man.....feeling ya 100%

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by Elikal

i can't get this game if i have to pay per month i hate games paying 15$ a month

No offense, but every single f2p game was mired by terrible community. People usually are way less dedicated with the fleeting game hoppers who play today this game, tomorrow another and the day after even another. How can one built lasting communities on this?

No, I vividly, passionately hate F2P. Usually it means paying for extra items, and I hate that just as much as the damage to the community it does.

someones never been to the united states then, soup kitchens feed you for free, shelters give you free beds and showers, government gives you free welfare and endless unemployment check, obama has a free stuff for lazy freeloaders streak a mile wide.

Originally posted by neorandom

Originally posted by Elikal

someones never been to the united states then, soup kitchens feed you for free, shelters give you free beds and showers, government gives you free welfare and endless unemployment check, obama has a free stuff for lazy freeloaders streak a mile wide.

That is called caring for the weak and charity. Nothing wrong with that. We are talking about getting something, not about helping people not do starve and die in misery, my friend. Those two are very, very different things.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by cheyane

yep, that or you can grind 300 levels to get the stuff you want. Most people can't hold out that long and just end up buying items, or leaving.

Indeed. Most people are not that strong willed; when you can either grind 300 levels to get the cool robe/armour/mount X, or just buy it for a mere another $9,99 many just give in and end up spending WAY more than they want.

Flaterate gaming is for the average gamer always cheaper. Not many can endlessly resist the siren call of what everyone else has. The SO CALLED f2p + item shop model just benefits the companies and stockholders. There is no benefit for the gamers in it whatsoever. I prefer one flatrate fee covering all at any day.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

While this won't be a F2P game, i think the most likely scenario is that the game will have a monthly subscription cost, alongside microtransactions, which, will probably involve buying 'adventure packs' rather than actual items, though i wouldnt rule that out.. Bioware are the 'kings of DLC' after all, so i'd personally lay pretty heavy odds on the 'Quest lines' being purchaseable.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

I predict that SWTOR will use a multi-pay approach, with a combination of monthly sub and pay as you go options, perhaps even micro transactions.  They'll want to make as much money as possible to recoop their investment and I'll bet all payment models are still on the table for them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Better pay per month than f2p. Keeps down the childish people.

• Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

You act like it's their fault. They're trying to give a quality product, and that requires money to pay for STAFF, SERVER COSTS, and DEVELPEMENT costs to keep the game up and running.

Yes, the game is pay to play, and a GREAT many people are cheering because of that.

All that aside, the game isn't for me because of their art direction (aimed at kids, stupid clone wars animated series >_>).

Guild Wars 2 will have no monthly fee.

I guess they will go belly up within a month just like their first game did...  no wait.

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by seniorfrito

Ok wow.  The entire game is going to be voice acted and you don't think that's going to be pay to play?  Think about all the money a regular game like World of Warcraft spends to develop a game.  Now, think of that added to the fact that they have to pay a bunch of actors too.  I've got two words for you, "COME ON".

I dunno.  Guild Wars 2 has a lot of voice acting and offers more than all the features we are used to as gamers and they are going to run a strictly F2P model.

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

Originally posted by Mellow44

You act like it's their fault. They're trying to give a quality product, and that requires money to pay for STAFF, SERVER COSTS, and DEVELPEMENT costs to keep the game up and running.

Yes, the game is pay to play, and a GREAT many people are cheering because of that.

All that aside, the ga, me isn't for me because of their art direction (aimed at kids, stupid clone wars animated series >_>).

I guess they will go belly up within a month just like their first game did...  no wait.

well guild wars is first instanced and you dont use that much of there bandwidth, the most people allowed in a zone if I am correct in guild wars is 24 people.

I promist you if guild wars had 100-200 people in a zone you would be paying for it.

• yoyoyoblakayoyoyoblaka Member Posts: 199

First off Guild Wars 1 wasn't an MMO, it was more like the diablo series. 

Second of all, let's wait and see how guild wars 2 handles an actual mmo without a monthly fee. I have my doubts about it, there are a lot of costs associated with an mmo, no monthly income just screams shady quality imo. But only time will tell. 

Regardless based on history if you want a quality mmo you should expect monthly fees. Or at least some sort of cash shop. 

In fact guild wars has more in common with diablo then a true mmorpg

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Well it wasn't hit either and Anet isn't as rich as Blizzard. Anyways I would be suprised if they wouldn't have store where you can buy NON-GAME EFFECTING stuff like "unique" companions or other stuff. Blizzard made nicely from special items by luring them to trade cards and other franchise.

Originally posted by pmaura

All that aside, the ga, me isn't for me because of their art direction (aimed at kids, stupid clone wars animated series >_>).

well guild wars is first instanced and you dont use that much of there bandwidth, the most people allowed in a zone if I am correct in guild wars is 24 people.

I promist you if guild wars had 100-200 people in a zone you would be paying for it.

Guild Wars 2 is not instanced. image

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2

as far as I can tell its still instnaced, no way its going to support anything like a reall mmorpg. otherwise who is going to be paying for there bandwith unless they release new content every month wchich you have to pay for.

and here they say they dont want to make anywhere like how persistent a typical mmorpg is.

http://internetgames.about.com/od/roleplaying/a/guildwarsqa.htm

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2

as far as I can tell its still instnaced, no way its going to support anything like a reall mmorpg. otherwise who is going to be paying for there bandwith unless they release new content every month wchich you have to pay for.

and here they say they dont want to make anywhere like how persistent a typical mmorpg is.

http://internetgames.about.com/od/roleplaying/a/guildwarsqa.htm

I don't think that it will be more instanced than World of Warcraft.