Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which characters in the movies or the Kotor series were able to turn invisible?

Comments

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bothan_Spynet

Bothan spies were known as masters of stealth, especially because they could sneak into enemies' areas without being detected. Also, they were known to carry hand-held disintegrator weapons which could vaporize enemy troops.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian_marauder

These were the Mandalorian marauders and were known to eliminate isolated targets with merciless silence. Some were known to employ stealth field generators which allowed them to operate in daylight but these were in the minority as most preferred to depend on their skills alone when hunting their enemies. They typically made use of vibroblade weapons and blaster pistols rather then heavier rifles.

• agagaagaga Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by agaga

Originally posted by sungodra

Originally posted by crockopoopoo

It's not icon and Star Warsy, it's MMOish and MMOish.  Best you purge all thoughts of an MMO accurately replicating an existing IP now, else you'll be mighty disappointed later.

I think you're right. SWG came close but this SWOTOR looks like it's going in another direction.

They had spies in swg, so what is your point?

My point?

Putting 'magical invisibility' into Star Wars is crap and is just another indication of how sub-standard and kiddie-aimed this game is going to be. I certainly hope a lot of people don't waste their money preordering, don't you?

But it is "Star Warsy". Aside from KoTOR, stealth field generators were used in the Jedi Civil War. Mandalorian scouts have special armor with stealth generators built in. Some even had sound dampening.

There's more to Star Wars than 6 movies and 2 games...

Not according to George Lucas there isn't. Sorry.

Lots of  invisible rogue-type invisible characters in this game but I don't remember invisibility in any of the Kotor games or the six SW movies. Doesn't seem very 'iconic and star-warsy' to me.

That's because you never played KOTOR.

Lol. Sure.

Then you would know about stealth...

Fuck that. I played the last Kotor six years ago. Stealth was one tiny, throwaway aspect of the game. I forgot. My bad.  Trying to use it as an excuse to make three characters in SWTOR 'magically invisible' is a reach at best.

But you used not remembering as a reason it shouldn't be in this game, now that you remember, do you think it's okay to be in the game. You know KoTR had stealth classes too, right?

That wasn't my point. Invisibility is not 'star warsy and iconic' and you can huff and puff all you like but you know it too. Sorry.

Lots of  invisible rogue-type invisible characters in this game but I don't remember invisibility in any of the Kotor games or the six SW movies. Doesn't seem very 'iconic and star-warsy' to me.

Lol. Sure.

Fuck that. I played the last Kotor six years ago. Stealth was one tiny, throwaway aspect of the game. I forgot. My bad.  Trying to use it as an excuse to make three characters in SWTOR 'magically invisible' is a reach at best.

But you used not remembering as a reason it shouldn't be in this game, now that you remember, do you think it's okay to be in the game. You know KoTR had stealth classes too, right?

That wasn't my point. Invisibility is not 'star warsy and iconic' and you can huff and puff all you like but you know it too. Sorry.

well considering that we already gave at least 4 examples of stealth in star wars....i think it is star warsy and iconic

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

R2D2

He wasn't invisible per say, but the mechanic was there. That lil' turd could sneak all over the place.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by miagisan

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bothan_Spynet

Bothan spies were known as masters of stealth, especially because they could sneak into enemies' areas without being detected. Also, they were known to carry hand-held disintegrator weapons which could vaporize enemy troops.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mandalorian_marauder

These were the Mandalorian marauders and were known to eliminate isolated targets with merciless silence. Some were known to employ stealth field generators which allowed them to operate in daylight but these were in the minority as most preferred to depend on their skills alone when hunting their enemies. They typically made use of vibroblade weapons and blaster pistols rather then heavier rifles.

Yeah, those bothans were fun to play in battlefront.  

Lol. Sure.

well considering that we already gave at least 4 examples of stealth in star wars....i think it is star warsy and iconic

Really? I don;t remember the 'rogue' Han turning 'invisible' at any point. Not did any of the Jedi either. Maybe I must have missed those parts of the movies.

Originally posted by eburn

R2D2

He wasn't invisible per say, but the mechanic was there. That lil' turd could sneak all over the place.

And in the last films he could fly too. Pity he forgot how to do that in the first three films. He could have saved everyone a lot of trouble just flying into the Death Star and disabling it himself.

Lol. Sure.

Really? I don;t remember the 'rogue' Han turning 'invisible' at any point. Not did any of the Jedi either. Maybe I must have missed those parts of the movies.

then change the title of your thread to "Which characters in the movies were able to turn invisible"

since we already debunked your KOTOR and now you are saying it isnt canon, even though you brought it up.

Lol. Sure.

I have to say,  if the OP was an honest question, and you received your answer,  then really you are not longer arguing to state a point,  you are arguing simply to troll.  You asked how it was possible,  I think your answer has been given pretty thoroughly.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

O

I have to say,  if the OP was an honest question, and you received your answer,  then really you are not longer arguing to state a point,  you are arguing simply to troll.  You asked how it was possible,  I think your answer has been given pretty thoroughly.

Yes it has. It was a minor feature of Kotor and not in the movies at all.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please leave personal attacks out of your discussion. Remember to follow our Rules of Conduct when posting.

O

I suppose if you choose to see it as that.  It was also in the battlefront titles.  Can't really say much else,  but it doesn't disprove the "star warsy"ness of it.  On the contrary, I think it proves unequivocally  that it was prevalent in KOTOR and hence can and should be possible in TOR.

• alextodoalextodo Member UncommonPosts: 236

O

It was a minor feature for your Character , but the Sith in both Games used it extensively. So No , it was not a minor thing overall.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Amazing how the guy ignores that it was in both games, and then say it's magically added just for this game...

Lol.

• OmgZombiesOmgZombies Member Posts: 141

Frodo.

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

Mission, one of the first party members in the first KOTOR was a stealth user, although stealth belts and the stealth stat are usable for ANY character. The Mandalorian hunters on Kashyyyk had cloaking devices as well as the Mandalorian hunting party on the un-named planet in the Star Forge system.

I think it's better that Bioware actually makes specialized stealth classes instead of having a barely used game feature. Stealth in KOTOR 1 was optional, sneak attacks could be done by flanking or incapacitating your opponent.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Even if we're going to ignore the stealth generators in the KOTOR games. You have to realize in an MMO stealth is usually handled in such a way. Sneaking isn't exactly possible in an MMO, like rogues in most games, they use invisibility abilities for this. In most you're not exactly invisible, you're sneaking.

Stealth tactics were used in the Movies quite a bit. Just as stealth is used in most military operations.

All that aside, you're question has been answered with many qualifying answers. I think it's safe to say stealth abilities are far from a break in canon.

I'd also like to point out Jedi in SWG had invisibility powers as well.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• hardsuithardsuit Member Posts: 10

Have you met the nightsisters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMCCaSiWn1U&feature=related

So the nightsisters are going to be invisible in the new cartoon are they? I don't remember them being invisible in the comics or the novels. Maybe I missed that.

Yeah, think it's a new Clone Wars thing.

The guys making Clone Wars are apparently changing a lot of things considered canon. This is why Karen Traviss isn't writing the Republic Commando books anymore. Which is sad considering she pretty much fleshed out Mando culture.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Stealth belts were abundant in Kotor I & II, in Kotor II the Sith Assassin actually depended on it; Obi-Wan also used 'stealth' (but not invisibility) in infiltrating the Death Star in the first movie.

We don't know how stealth will be implemented exactly in TOR.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835

Originally posted by Malickie

Even if we're going to ignore the stealth generators in the KOTOR games. You have to realize in an MMO stealth is usually handled in such a way. Sneaking isn't exactly possible in an MMO, like rogues in most games, they use invisibility abilities for this. In most you're not exactly invisible, you're sneaking.

Stealth tactics were used in the Movies quite a bit. Just as stealth is used in most military operations.

All that aside, you're question has been answered with many qualifying answers. I think it's safe to say stealth abilities are far from a break in canon.

I'd also like to point out Jedi in SWG had invisibility powers as well.

Finally! 5 pages to get to a post that explains it all. It sums up what I was going to say.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I can see where the OP is coming from.

I am one of those people that only count the lore of any IP as that from the original canon. In this case it would be the original  movies. I've never been a fan of IPs that let fans start writing fiction/making lore because fans inevitably always end up adding stuff that I don't feel fits with the original feel. I get that it is money making for Lucas to let other people write stories and make games that say Star Wars but the people have the freedom to add what they want, but for me it kills the franchise.

From the beginning I haven't been a fan of SW:tOR because everything about it just seems silly and not very Star Wars to me all around. Combine that with the linear on rails, single player type of experience and I just don't get the hype about the game at all.

• crockopoopoocrockopoopoo Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by hardsuit

Have you met the nightsisters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMCCaSiWn1U&feature=related

So the nightsisters are going to be invisible in the new cartoon are they? I don't remember them being invisible in the comics or the novels. Maybe I missed that.

Yeah, think it's a new Clone Wars thing.

The guys making Clone Wars are apparently changing a lot of things considered canon. This is why Karen Traviss isn't writing the Republic Commando books anymore. Which is sad considering she pretty much fleshed out Mando culture.

It's actually Lucas that took a dump all over her work when he decided to go in and do all those episodes with the queen of Mandalore and blah blah.  Which is his prerogative of course, being the franchise creator, but it's really too bad he doesn't leave Star Wars to people with actual talent (like Traviss, Bioware, and others).

• UruktosUruktos Member Posts: 153

In KOTOR II, there were 2 prestige classes that focused on stealth, they used the force itself to render themselves invisible. Now this might seem all magical, but considering the limitations of the game engine, it could be something more like a perception filter, making you get unnoticed, like what Obi-Wan did in A New Hope (then Vader sensed him because he used the Force to infiltrate etc).

But I digress, those classes were the Jedi Watchman and Sith Assassin.

Ordinary people could also use stealth field generator belts (provided they had some skill at it I believe). So yes, cloaking exists and is very much alive. You either didn't played KOTOR series at all or played them a long long time ago, long enough to forget the basics, in which case, you should re-play them :p.

• KryalisKryalis Member UncommonPosts: 30

There was an entire arc in Kotor2 where you were hunting down stealthed mandalorians (since they'd been messing up wookie).

Outside of those 2 games, there's massive usage of "stealth" systems (see... every dark forces/jedi academy etc.). The imperial remanent use it all over the place too.

But if you consider anything non-film non-canon it makes no difference to you anyway, since this game will be non-cannon so if the Jedi "Wizards" fart pink flying unicorns that's A-Ok with you, since it's not a canon source.

The terrible stealth mechanisms used in MMO's (I iz hiding = invisble) are actually perfectly valid in the star wars setting since there's numerous devices that actually do invisible. Albeit most of them from sources that use it to cover up technical inadequicies of the time.

But +1 troll feed anyway.