Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want a taste of SW:TOR Space combat?

Go to Clone wars: The adventure and play the star fighter mini game. Granted, it is a dumbed down version but based on what I read in PC gamer the experience will be similar.  Maybe it will be more like Rogue squadron and will have much better graphics but the concept is the same.

Comments

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

DOOOOOOMMMM!!!!!

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,979

I don't see myself playing that "mini-game" in TOR...  We will see how it turns out though

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631

You've really got to wonder who the hell at LA allowed both of these games to get so far into production with so many similarities. Similar graphic style and now similar space mini game. With SOE's game being FTP, with LA giving them the greenlight they've probably robbed BioWare of potential early and pre-teen subs. No bad thing ordinarily but it does kind of make a mockery of the fact that LA knew that and still let BioWare develop the most expensive triple A mmo ever with visuals tht would be most pleasing to kids... that will be playing SOE's damn game.

It really does show that LA still haven't learned how to work in co-operation with their third party devs.

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Originally posted by dougmysticey

Go to Clone wars: The adventure and play the star fighter mini game. Granted, it is a dumbed down version but based on what I read in PC gamer the experience will be similar.  Maybe it will be more like Rogue squadron and will have much better graphics but the concept is the same.

You want a real taste of TOR space combat? Watch the movies again, it is the same thing. image

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by artemisentr4

You want a real taste of TOR space combat? Watch the movies again, it is the same thing. image

I was lead to believe that when Han Solo was flying through the asteroid field or when Luke Skywalker was attacking the Death Star with Rogue Squadron, that both of them had full control over their ships. Apparently I was wrong and they only had a narrow corridor of space to navigate through because anything outside of that narrow corridor wasn't heroic enough.

Originally posted by heartless

I was lead to believe that when Han Solo was flying through the asteroid field or when Luke Skywalker was attacking the Death Star with Rogue Squadron, that both of them had full control over their ships. Apparently I was wrong and they only had a narrow corridor of space to navigate through because anything outside of that narrow corridor wasn't heroic enough.

You would be wrong. These were all written for the Big Screen for a dramatic affect. They could not have full control over their ships because there were no ships. These are stories and movies. They follow a script from A to B with constant action otherwise the audience goes to sleep.

This game will never be a space sim game. For the story and action direction they are going for. This style of combat is fine. I do hope someday they expand space to Warzones for PvP with objectives. But I never want or expect to see a space sim in TOR.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

You would be wrong. These were all written for the Big Screen for a dramatic affect. They could not have full control over their ships because there were no ships. These are stories and movies. They follow a script from A to B with constant action otherwise the audience goes to sleep.

This game will never be a space sim game. For the story and action direction they are going for. This style of combat is fine. I do hope someday they expand space to Warzones for PvP with objectives. But I never want or expect to see a space sim in TOR.

So let me get this straight. You're trying to tell me that Star Wars didn't really happen? That when Luke Skywalker was singlehandedly blowing up the Death Star, hey was actually on a set of a movie and not actually flying an X-Wing starfighter with Porkins and Wedge and all those other guys? But then Porkins didn't really die... Is there still hope?! No effin way, I don't believe you!

So let me get this straight. You're trying to tell me that Star Wars didn't really happen? That when Luke Skywalker was singlehandedly blowing up the Death Star, hey was actually on a set of a movie and not actually flying an X-Wing starfighter with Porkins and Wedge and all those other guys? But then Porkins didn't really die... Is there still hope?! No effin way, I don't believe you!

image Hey, I think you get it now....

Just kidding, but I think I get what the Dev's of TOR are trying to do. They are trying to re-create that cinema feeling of heading down the trench and hitting the bulls eye. It will be a different set-up because it is 3000 years before the movies. But that is what they are going for and I am ok with that.

It would be cool to have a virtual SW universe to fly around in and do what you want. Make up the game as you go with your friends and enemies. But if you spend $100 million +, you want that money back. So you have to look at what sells to the masses. That is not a good thing for some, but it is for others. It is all a point of view.

Would I like to see a bit more freedom to the game? Sure I would. It would be fun to have a side game of smuggling as a smuggler or hunting players/NPCs as a bounty hunter and so on. But I am realistic. I know what BW has created in the past and expect that in the future. I play BW games for the story experience. I want that level of story experience that I can share with others at the same time. This game will give me that, I think......

R.A.Salvatore

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,513

"Use the force Luke"

I guess that don't apply here. 

sadly

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...