Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If I buy a box now will I have to re-download F2P client?

preston326preston326 Member UncommonPosts: 115

As title says if I buy LOTRO box from the shop *now* will I have to re-download client when it goes F2P? Or it will be patch? The thing is that I don't mind spending few dollars on box and I dont want to download the client when it goes F2P as net in  dorm is really slow. Would take ages... But if I have to redownload then the box would be total waste of money. What do you think?

Comments

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Originally posted by preston326

As title says if I buy LOTRO box from the shop *now* will I have to re-download client when it goes F2P? Or it will be patch? The thing is that I don't mind spending few dollars on box and I dont want to download the client when it goes F2P as net in  dorm is really slow. Would take ages... But if I have to redownload then the box would be total waste of money. What do you think?

If you already have it installed on your PC it will patch.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• preston326preston326 Member UncommonPosts: 115

So it will be a patch. Well it shouldnt take long to download a patch. I hope. Then OK I gonna buy a box. Thanks

BTW

What should I buy? Box of MoM or SoA cause I dont know which one is an expansion and which is an actual game.

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

You will need to get the original LoTRO MoM is an expansion and you will need that too or else you wont have access to that part of the game SoA is an expansion of sorts too. I bought the original back at release and bought boxed version of MoM but downloaded the other.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG

Originally posted by charlizd

You will need to get the original LoTRO MoM is an expansion and you will need that too or else you wont have access to that part of the game SoA is an expansion of sorts too. I bought the original back at release and bought boxed version of MoM but downloaded the other.

Ok, now Im confused. Im going to buy it on ebay as I can't find it in local stores and all I see is boxes of SoA, Mom, and MoM collectors edition. Ifd you have some time can you give me a link of which one I should buy to get entire game and not an expansion (by meaning entire game I mean so I could install-run-play I dont really care about end lvl stuff and I can live without latest xpacks if  I can access game without them)

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

Do you have EB games or anything near by?? you should be able to get the original game cheap..and sorry i thought you meant SoM not SoA...SoA is the original game MoM is an expansion and so is SoM = Siege of Mirkwood

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG

Do you have EB games or anything near by?? you should be able to get the original game cheap..and sorry i thought you meant SoM not SoA...SoA is the original game MoM is an expansion and so is SoM = Siege of Mirkwood

Not where I live man... But anyway this post clears it up. Now I get it. Thank you.

• EbonHawkEbonHawk Member Posts: 545

Well, afaik SoA (Shadows of Angmar) is the original game, with MoM (Mines of Moria) as a paid expansion levels 48+ and SoM (Seige of Mirkwood) as kind of a paid expansion, levels 55+.  So if you don't care about the latter stages of the game as you say I would just get SoA and then purchase the xpacs later.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

You can start downloading the game now you dont have to wait til the 10th, the original dl is free its only the expansions you have to pay for.

http://www.lotro.com/news

WESTWOOD, MA – August 18, 2010 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announced today that Turbine’s The Lord of the Rings Online™ (LOTRO) will introduce its innovative new pricing model, allowing players to download the game and play for free and purchase expansions, quest packs, items, and account services a la carte from the new LOTRO Store starting September 10, 2010.

Originally posted by Asheram

You can start downloading the game now you dont have to wait til the 10th, the original dl is free its only the expansions you have to pay for.

WESTWOOD, MA – August 18, 2010 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announced today that Turbine’s The Lord of the Rings Online™ (LOTRO) will introduce its innovative new pricing model, allowing players to download the game and play for free and purchase expansions, quest packs, items, and account services a la carte from the new LOTRO Store starting September 10, 2010.

That is, very good advice actually

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by preston326

Not where I live man... But anyway this post clears it up. Now I get it. Thank you.

If your going to buy the discs on ebay for better download purposes your best bet is to get a SoA+MoM bundle deal on ebay I think i saw a couple for like 7-8 dollars,

• Originally posted by preston326

Originally posted by Asheram

That is, very good advice actually

do ur free trial if u havent...then after 14 days go f2p (pray to god it converts ur free trial char) play until it gets annoying and then start paying :D. and check my p2p thread here it has some good info ;)

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

There are basically two types of retail boxes. Shadows Of Angar and Mines of Moria. Mines of Moria came with Shadows Of Angmar (yes, there was also a MoM CE, but like most CE overpriced and pointless).

You will want to buy a Mines of Moria retail box. They probably aren't in stores, as it's a 2 year old game and most places have cleared them out. But if you look on ebay or maybe Amazon or other online places you can find one for under $10.

You do not want to buy a SoA box. That would basically be pointless. I started playing a year after it came out and it took me 3 days to download the patch. You wouldn't be any better off than just downloading the whole client.

MoM still needs a lot of patching, but not nearly as much (since honestly, they haven't added all that much to the game since Moria).

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Originally posted by Powermike

do ur free trial if u havent...then after 14 days go f2p (pray to god it converts ur free trial char) play until it gets annoying and then start paying :D. and check my p2p thread here it has some good info ;)

There are no more Free Trials.  Turbine ended them last week.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter