Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you guys think about Rift: Planes of Telara

Ultima12Ultima12 Member Posts: 17

I've been looking a lot at Rift:  Planes of Telara and it really looks good.  I'm curious though.  It is supposed to come out some time next year and next year has some seriously big MMO titles coming out.  How well do you think it will do?  Do you think it will be an empty MMO and not last but a few months or so or could it be a dark horse success?  I'm curious as to what you all think. 

Comments

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

looks good.  Rifts idea seems neat.  Classes so far seems pretty standard fair, though not all have been released, the mixing and matching is a neat idea though i'm not sold on the only in your archtype tree part.  Looking forward to seeing it grow and what is gonna happen for the spring 2011 release.  though personally it really needs to come together to have a snowball chance against SWTOR, i'm not saying that as a fanboy of either. 

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

It depends on how it plays ingame, not just how well it looks through online videos.  It will all come down to gameplay, whether it's fun or not, whether they got enough content to keep you going or not.  And of course the performance issues, whether it can handle lots of people, will there be lag or things that happen when you start putting more and more people on a server?

I can tell right now not all the hyped MMO's coming next year will do well.  At least 1 or 2 of them will turn out to be overhyped.  There's a difference between how something may sound cool on paper, but they may not play as well ingame when you sit down to play them.  WAR suffered this same problem when their RvR design looked good on paper, but it really sucked when you actually started playing it.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Originally posted by Ultima12

I've been looking a lot at Rift:  Planes of Telara and it really looks good.  I'm curious though.  It is supposed to come out some time next year and next year has some seriously big MMO titles coming out.  How well do you think it will do?  Do you think it will be an empty MMO and not last but a few months or so or could it be a dark horse success?  I'm curious as to what you all think. 

Great team, great graphics, overall good design, but....

but...

but "it appears to me" they make your character some kind of special "fallen hero" with some kind of bizarre "souls system" in place of a talent chart.  I really think these games do better when you start out as a "nobody" who can become a "somebody" rather than starting out as too uber or "special" (i.e., chosen fallen hero to come back and save the world).

And "souls system"?  C'mon.  How about talent specializations or something.

Do you want everything to be the same? You are arguing for the same old thing that has been done to death. Even if what they do is just a little different, it is still a nice change.

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

It seems you dont understand the system as that is what it is.  The "soul" is the specialization or tree.  you don't have to put points into souls you dont care to use or arm.  If you wanna be the an assassin and spcialize in it you can, you just throw all your piont in into the assassin "soul" (read this as assassin tree), instead of spreading point between nightblade, range and blade dancer.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Sounds good on paper, doesn't look good from the gameplay videos - but those can be misleading. Need to get my hands on the game to see for sure. Keeping an eye on it, though.

I've always thought the MMORPG genre, as over-saturated as it seems to be with fantasy games, still hasn't really hit the mark with old school fantasy RPG gaming. If Rift can do that, it may do well - though obviously not WOW-scale well. :) I suspect the old 500K is still the sky with these kinds of MMOs without the humongously famous brand names. 

• cyranacyrana Member UncommonPosts: 197

Well I'm writing about this tomorrow (need to start typing!) since I spent 2 solid days with the game over the weekend. :D

But, it is sort of true that the soul system is similar to 'talent trees' in other games. But, the available souls are quite varied and you can get some cool combos. For example, I briefly saw some uber ranged DPS soul for rogues that was Marksman (have to check the videos), and there are quite a few melee DPS ones. So, you can dump a bunch of points into your ranged DPS soul and then put just enough points into your melee DPS one so that when they reach you it's just a few hits to end it.

Also, they allow fairly easy swapping around so you can run solo with some great DPS cleric soul and then swap in Warden or Sentinel or whatever you want to do some group healing, or you could just mix and match and have some weird stuff like a melee cleric soul with some points in an instant heal soul to let you keep heals going on yourself while people people on you... anyway there are a lot of possibilities and I'm not explaining it well on short notice like this. Honesty the class system is one of the more cool parts to me, along with some of the dynamic stuff (what we've been shown is just the cusp of that).

Ningen wa ningen da.
    ----
    http://twitter.com/Ciovala

• CreamyDoomCreamyDoom Member Posts: 5

Obviously it's hard to judge since I haven't played it yet, but at the moment I'm feeling kinda 50/50 on it. I'm worried that it'll end up being too much of a WoW/EQ clone. The rifts sound cool, but unless they do some really crazy things, I'm not sure they'll be that impressive. The soul system looks really cool as well, but I'm worried that certain builds are going to become the standard 'cookie cutter' builds that everyone is expected to use. If they can pull it off so that players really can use any build they want, it will definitely have something against other MMOs. Only time will tell... 

• ElirionElirion Member Posts: 160

I'm excited about the game.  The soul system seems to add some interesting complexity to the game, the rifts aspect adds an interesting factor, and it has a traditional fantasy settting which I prefer.  I wish they would get rid of PVP so we wouldn't have to deal with the whining about class balance, class nerfs, and general drama that crowd brings with it.  I plan on giving it a try. 

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

but...

but "it appears to me" they make your character some kind of special "fallen hero" with some kind of bizarre "souls system" in place of a talent chart.  I really think these games do better when you start out as a "nobody" who can become a "somebody" rather than starting out as too uber or "special" (i.e., chosen fallen hero to come back and save the world).

For real, why do something different like soul system . . . how else can I complain about it being a WOW clone unless we just keep repeating the same thing over and over . . . put the damn talent tree back in and call it a talent tree

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• Ultima12Ultima12 Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by cyrana

Well I'm writing about this tomorrow (need to start typing!) since I spent 2 solid days with the game over the weekend. :D

But, it is sort of true that the soul system is similar to 'talent trees' in other games. But, the available souls are quite varied and you can get some cool combos. For example, I briefly saw some uber ranged DPS soul for rogues that was Marksman (have to check the videos), and there are quite a few melee DPS ones. So, you can dump a bunch of points into your ranged DPS soul and then put just enough points into your melee DPS one so that when they reach you it's just a few hits to end it.

Also, they allow fairly easy swapping around so you can run solo with some great DPS cleric soul and then swap in Warden or Sentinel or whatever you want to do some group healing, or you could just mix and match and have some weird stuff like a melee cleric soul with some points in an instant heal soul to let you keep heals going on yourself while people people on you... anyway there are a lot of possibilities and I'm not explaining it well on short notice like this. Honesty the class system is one of the more cool parts to me, along with some of the dynamic stuff (what we've been shown is just the cusp of that).

Cool.  Wherever you post your impressions on it let me know on this forum where you will post so I can check it out.  I want to get excited about it but I'm just not sure.  I really like the fantasy genre when it comes to MMO's so I'm more interested in this rather than Knights of the Republic. 

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I think the best case scenario is that it's the next EQ2 - great traditional MMO focused on popular themes and classes, pretty graphics and similarly great group and raid content.  

They're throwing a couple of little things into the mix with dynamic content and more flexible class system, but overall it's all very familiar to players of existing games like EQ2 (or WoW or LoTRO) and should be a new home for many people tired of those games, but still looking for a similar experience or just updated graphics.

Worst case scenario.. well... it'll shut down.  /shrug bad things have happened to better games.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

From what I've read and seen, it's going to be just like Aion; A WoW clone with better graphics and a few little differences. It's a narrow minded view, sure. But that's what my gut tells me so far.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Palebane

From what I've read and seen, it's going to be just like Aion; A WoW clone with better graphics and a few little differences. It's a narrow minded view, sure. But that's what my gut tells me so far.

AION was an asian-style grinder based around PvP content with virtually non-existent PvE as a distant afterthought.  There was also virtually no class customization in AION.  I don't think AION can even be classified as a WoW clone, I've never played L2, but i think it was more of an L2 clone based on what i've heard.

Rift is based mainly around PvE with small group and raid PvE content being the main focus of the game.   So while yes, it's probably close to a WoW/EQ2 clone, it shouldn't be anything like AION.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• MysticumMysticum Member UncommonPosts: 53

It looks like a reskinning of WoW. Everything I've seen so far is identical to WoW. I'll keep looking, though....

• NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242

but...

Do you play WoW? If so then imagine that each soul is like one talent tree for a class, such as the Warlock's Destruction tree. You can mix and match any three talent trees from any of the "mage-like" classes. So for a suitable analogy, imagine you played a warlock in WoW and instead of being limited to the destruction/demonology/affliction trees, you could have demonology/arcane (mage)/balance (druid) instead. The analogy breaks down a little here because WoW doesn't have archetypes. In Rift you can only use souls from other classes with your own archetype (warrior, rogue, mage, priest). But you get the idea. You can find and collect souls and swap them out.

With regards to the "fallen hero" thing, I too prefer it when you start off a nobody and make a name for yourself. However, I feel pretty confident that character development will be significant between level 1 and whatever the max level is.

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

I have higher hopes for this game than some others.  But like many others have pointed out, until you get your hands on the game, it is always hard to tell.  Some of the games that high hype, but didn't work out well recently:

• Aion had great graphics and interesting concepts, but fell pretty flat on execution with gaping holes in economy and major issues if you weren't on the bleeding edge of leveling characters

• Champions Online was very interesting, good character abilities, but content was very stale

• Star Trek Online was beset with major performance issues during beta, and didn't turn out to have any real substance when it went live

Other games that I've tried and seem to warrant the hype:

• LOTRO (playing this now) is actually more polished than I thought with some rather interesting group mechanics

• Warhammer Online is a pretty good game, but only if you are very happy with PVP / RVR

Hopefully I will be able to get into a beta of Rift and see how things go before I commit to purchasing, but everything I've seen to date seems pretty good...so definitely worth watching.
  • OmgZombiesOmgZombies Member Posts: 141

I personally think that it'll be decent at least, unless there's major balancing issues.  I personally think of Rift would be just another generic, uninovative MMO if you took out the dynamic system.  I'm more of an GW2 fan, but if the basic MMO set-up is done well in Rift, I'll gladly check it out and maybe even play it for awhile on the side.  But I don't think it'll have any kind of "WOW" factor like other MMOs coming out.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

It'll be out first quarter (Jan., Feb. or Mar.) next year. I think it'll do just fine as it already has a solid community of older gamers following it. If they manage the amount of servers they start with well then no I don't believe it will be "empty". I think the game comes the closest of any near future release of offering what traditional themepark gamers desire in a game. Again I base that on the current makeup of the official forum community.

It's the only game that I think is worth purchasing at this time out of the upcoming titles. Copernicus and World of Darkness Online would be the next too and their launch windows are way out there.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

I am looking forward to this game. I think it will have enough different things going on with it; soul system, dynamic (rift) content, to seem new and enough connection to the current MMOs that nobody will be too lost with it.

I think it has a solid chance of being a solid, well-populated MMO for quite sometime. I would like to say its going to be a dark horse winner, but there is a lot of knowledge and hype surrounding this game now.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

People really need to understand the soul system is NOT a talent tree system, not by a freaking stretch.

Talent trees allow you variations on your basic skills given to you by your class.

I.E. in WOW, EVERY SINGLE warlock has the exact same set of spells/abilities.  How powerful they make certain spells and abilities depends on how they assign their talent points.

Rift's soul system is like taking warlock from wow, mage from wow, and turning them into "souls"

So, you go, "hrmm, i really like having the ability to cast fear spells, so ill assign some points into warlock soul, but, i really like the freeze abilities that mages have, so im going to assign points into mage until i get that ability.

If you look at the soul system, you'll see it is almost like a tree with roots.  The bottom part are your actual skills that you get from that soul (think of soul=class).  As you assign points into the top part of the tree (the part where you can pick and choose which way you go along the tree) it unlocks abilities in the bottom part of the tree.

The system is self balancing because if you over spread your points you will become a jack of all spades, decent at a bunch of stuff, not very good at any one thing.  Think like back in the old days when a wizard's big badass spell was say "Comet" and they only got that at level 49 out of 50 or something like that.  Unless you focus down that soulpath, you will never see those high end skills on any of the souls that you pick.

The current example the devs are using a lot is the ranger/nightblade soul.  Basically its a character with the nightblade soul being the focus, but with enough skills in the ranger soul to be able to do some decent damage via ranged and possibly say snare the mob before it gets to you.  Its a good solo spec because unlike most traditional ranger classes which suck when things get close in melee combat, you basically have the basic ranger skills so you can do a bit of damage etc before the mob gets to you, then you bust out your swords and own face because the majority of your points are in nightblade.

Another example they gave was the bladedancer/assassin mix, bladedancers are a scout type class, but they dont have any sneak, hide, backstab, snare, poison, abilities, etc; basically they're light/medium armor wearing dual wielding dmg dealers.

What you could do is sacrifice some of the ultra high dmg output of the bladedancer class by diverting some soul points into an assassin soul in order to gain some of those sneak or poison or snare abilities.

Trion is doing what developers should of been doing since day 1.  Going "ok, what works, what doesnt, lets leave what works in place and not try to innovate in ways that dont need it, such as UI, and lets innovate and make changes where it counts"

So, you had AoC which tried to get zesty with the combat system, it worked, but it wasn't really all that innovative.  Then you had Aion, which tried the whole "flight" idea, which again, kinda worked, but not really.  It overbalanced the game towards ranged and magic types.  I could keep going, but you get the point.

Trion is going, "Ok, fantasy is popular, so lets not fuck it up by doing sci fi or some other weird ass shit.  The hotbar/icon UI system is a known, familiar system that works just fine, lets not fuck it up by trying to do anything special. etc, etc, etc"

They're innovating in ways that matter, in the form of dynamic content.  Rather than the same mob popping in the same place, etc.  You can go back to a dungeon at a later level and find a different version with different mobs, or even find another wing has opened up that wasn't there or accesible before.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• ClywdClywd Member UncommonPosts: 261

There is a video with rather good quality that explains the class system:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-10-rift-planes/703481

Currently playing: EverQuest
    Waiting for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

It reminds me a lot of warhammer online pve.  The character models, "public quests", etc. 

The game itself looks really good.  Seeing a lot of similarities borrowed from other games, but it might just be interesting enough to try out.  The evolution of the talent tree system seems to be the big drawing point for me.   Playing around with so many different combinations of builds will be interesting, especially to see how other people take different approaches.  It makes me fear for any pvp balance though (is there pvp in the game?)

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

This game has been on ym atch list since last year and notihng released so far has lessened my interest at all.Still far too early to tell for sure thoguh.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

I think this game will be an excelent product but now at the time it will be released.

I think it will take at least 6 months show to it's full power.

Anyway if the graphics are awesome and the gameplay rocks there may be a possibility to defeat wow.

Noone can speak until he plays the final version of the game.

Even beta sometimes makes u wanna hate the game.

I ve tried betas in the past and i didnt like it much.

So retail comes out u try the game u dont like it u throw it to garbage along with other mmos.

Otherwise if u like it u keep paying the stupid subscriptions (which i hate) or u go to guild wars 2 which has no subscription and the only thing u have to do is to buy expanssions when they come out..prety fair i think.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by reignjuste

I think this game will be an excelent product but now at the time it will be released.

I think it will take at least 6 months show to it's full power.

Anyway if the graphics are awesome and the gameplay rocks there may be a possibility to defeat wow.

Noone can speak until he plays the final version of the game.

Even beta sometimes makes u wanna hate the game.

I ve tried betas in the past and i didnt like it much.

So retail comes out u try the game u dont like it u throw it to garbage along with other mmos.

Otherwise if u like it u keep paying the stupid subscriptions (which i hate) or u go to guild wars 2 which has no subscription and the only thing u have to do is to buy expanssions when they come out..prety fair i think.

They aren't trying to "defeat wow". Fortunately their (Trion's) level of maturity allows them to dismiss those kinds of thoughts and just focus on making a good game for their target audience.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez