Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO's item mall and you.

Comments

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by kaltoum

Originally posted by Xondar123

Never spent a buck on C Store except for the free points that i got with game purchase. i am still playing the game and in no way feel that other players have advantage over me in some way. Maybe because i don't have 'i want it all' mentality'. I enjoy my game and don't care what others are spending their money on.

Doesn't it make you mad that you pay $15 a month for the developers to continue to develop stuff for the game, and then they make stuff they want you to pay for?

I can understand having a few items in the store, a costume pack every once in a while, but there is a glut of stuff that they pile into the C-Store. There should not be almost $200 worth of stuff in a store for a game 7 months old. You're paying for them to develop this stuff, they're trying to double dip into your pocket.

They are not MAKING me pay for anything. Thats why i didn't spend even a single buck on it. So why would i get mad over it? when i am not forced to pay for anything?

If you want the stuff you spend $15 a month for them to develop, then yes, you do HAVE to pay for it.

I am getting plenty of content in game for my 15 bucks a month. C-Store is not essential for my gameplay. That is why i don't consider it as content.

I've played STO, you're not getting plenty of anything for $15 a month.

That's one thing that makes the C-Store so insulting: STO is light on content and a large number of the updates are C-Store items.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by Sevenwind

Then if someone wants the mount they pay Blizzard $15 a month for to develop then they HAVE to pay for it. If someone wants the dog companion they pay $15 month to devs of Fallen Earth then they HAVE to pay for it. Same goes for the mounts offered in EQ/EQ2. Lets all go make evil greedy posts in those forums how those companies are bad for doing this.

I don't like the cstore at all. I don't wish it was there. Cryptic offers more in their store sure, do we need it? No. Want? That's up to you, but by WANTING it then the cstore is not alone in this business.

allthough i oppose cash stores in the games you have mentioned there is a huge difference.

fallen earth: the first of 3 zones is the size of the entire sto game, has decent pvp, multiple playable (with content) factions, an excellent crafting system.... in general at 6 months it was a far far more polished/finished and playable product.

wow: ummm yeah, compare all the stuff i mentioned about fallen earth to sto.

if you want to compare cash store from one game to another, you cant ignore the overall content and quality.... in which case sto is completely sub-standard. why should there not be a c-store in sto... because sto should still be in beta.

a paragraph from dstahl (sto executive producer)

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=177070&page=2

So from where I'm sitting, Cryptic is not throwing STO under the bus, but instead listening to the concerns of the team, and giving us the time and resources we need to begin addressing some of the bigger issues like Ground Combat, Sector Space, Exploration, PVP, and any other big issue that has been clearly called out in reviews.

just in case anyone doubts the game should still be in beta, thats the ep stating the about 70% of the game is "big" issues and is sub-standard. thats without even mentioning the lack of content.

part of a post from jack  emmeret, think it says a lot, please read before you start posting how people are "haters"

Here's what I meant....We did make STO in 18 months. That was a set time that we really couldn't change. So we made the absolute best we could with the game in that time period. And during development and launch, we internally were 100% proud of the game. We thought it was phenomenal.

But the reviews - and these boards - differed. Instead, they said the game was unpolished.

As I said in one of my interviews (I've forgotten which one), I'm not going to be self serving and say "well, the reviewers are wrong" or "the players don't know what they're talking about". That's silly at best. We at Cryptic read you loud and clear. We need to up our quality.

um yeah, that would be the ceo saying the game was not ready for launch, and that the criticism is correct.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Updated the OP to include the T5 Excelsior that was released into the C store today for 15 bucks/1200 cryptic points.

I am wondering when the Enterprise J will make it in the Store.  I do not necessarily see a point to having the J in the game unless there is some sort of story aspect for it to be there.  Yes, the Enterprise J has been confirmed http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=176068 in the august engineering report on the "in development" part of the report.

• david13edavid13e Member Posts: 50

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=177446

And no, I am not crying about the C-Store.  I am laughing at it.

Originally posted by Cacaphony

Updated the OP to include the T5 Excelsior that was released into the C store today for 15 bucks/1200 cryptic points.

I am wondering when the Enterprise J will make it in the Store.  I do not necessarily see a point to having the J in the game unless there is some sort of story aspect for it to be there.  Yes, the Enterprise J has been confirmed http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=176068 in the august engineering report on the "in development" part of the report.

I love Doug Drexler, he's a super awesome guy, and some of the work he has done on Star Trek has been absolutely awesome. I am a fan of him for life and follow his blog religiously. But the Enterprise-J (which Doug Drexler designed) is perhaps the most ugly and stupid Star Trek ship I've ever seen. I loathe that piece of crap. I think part of the reason it is so bad was because Doug Drexler was given an incredibly pressing due date when he designed that ship. I think so because he's done a few revisions of it, which shows me he wasn't happy with the aired version.

Having that horrible monstrosity of a starship flying around in-game is just another reason for me to avoid STO like the plague.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

The Train is picking up speed , next stop F2P . The subscribers are like stunned deer on the tracks , they can see it coming , but just can't seem to move. What's worse is they have their wallets out and open for Cryptic to farm.

this one really made me laugh

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=177433

To me, it's more like a CostCo membership . . . I'm paying $15/month for access to an online store.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

Originally posted by raistalin69

To me, it's more like a CostCo membership . . . I'm paying $15/month for access to an online store.

Heh heh, yeah.  Cipher makes some good points though.

He usually does. He called the F2P plans before most even considered it a possiblity. 

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

He usually does. He called the F2P plans before most even considered it a possiblity. 

there were some of us (myself included) that said it was a good possibility in teh first month. i guess some of us just came out of denial sooner than others?

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Well I predict that the types of things that will appear there will be along the lines of what is already appearing there, which is pretty much everything that isn't related directly to a "system" in game.  No so far they aren't selling the entire ship interior and things but lucky for us it's because as a community we so roundly complained about the lack of content anyway.  I firmly believe that Cryptic would like to put everything on the C Store if they could.

For the record op I don't view your post as you qqing about the C-Store as a matter of fact I'm a bit bothered by the lack of annoyance with the entire concept of a cash shop on such a shallow and bland game.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Originally posted by jaxsundane

Well I predict that the types of things that will appear there will be along the lines of what is already appearing there, which is pretty much everything that isn't related directly to a "system" in game.  No so far they aren't selling the entire ship interior and things but lucky for us it's because as a community we so roundly complained about the lack of content anyway.  I firmly believe that Cryptic would like to put everything on the C Store if they could.

For the record op I don't view your post as you qqing about the C-Store as a matter of fact I'm a bit bothered by the lack of annoyance with the entire concept of a cash shop on such a shallow and bland game.

arent the "bridge packs" an interior that they sell?

You shouldn't brag about STO's store being so full of stuff. It isn't good game design, it's just greed, pure and simple.

Brag?  Who is bragging?  Im just putting it out there for people to see the things that cryptic is putting in the store.  It is greed, and im hoping that is the message people will see when they realize whats in the darn store.  A bunch of extra un needed crap that they hope to sucker people into buying.... like emotes?  Holy geez lol.  You should know by now that Im not one to brag about this game heh heh.

Ah, I see. I thought you were bragging about how great the cash shop is.

I suppose thats a risk I took when I made the thread.  It was more for people to know whats in it if they have not been to the STO site to see.  Also, for people to see whats in it now in lite of some of Emmerts recent comments, and you can find a discussion about it here http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=177070,  will show the true nature of cryptic, and that is one of greed. 

Interesting read on the link there, most telling is the time frame Cryptic uses to release it's games.  Emmert likes to point out Cryptics efficiency which I think in itself is a joke.  It's unfair to compare because of the sheer lack of content and features in any and all of the games Cryptic has ever done, now if they want to make a game with the sheer amount of content of say a WOW or LOTRO and complete it in the time they take making games then I could give them credit.

This rounds out like KIA motors bragging that they can put together a car faster than Ferrari.  Cryptics development cycle is a pure joke but the biggest joke seems to be the engine they chose to use.  I mean honestly if it's possible why don't they just "clone" the features of some of the other games on market.  Why not have the "worlds" that we are used to I mean in the case of STO I'd beg for static areas other than Memory Alpha,DS9 and the weakness that is the SOL system.  And honestly he mentions that they create features and test them think "hey this is fun" and then put the game together well who in the hell possibly played the genesis system the way it is and thought it was "fun"?  I mean really before I left STO I found myself dumping the "random" missions that sent me to a planets surface and while I did do the quests for a bit I'm sure within the first week of launch I was fighting the urge to cancel the missions already.

End result though is Cryptic is practically "raping" the playerbase of that game with this C-Store (I especially love the treatment roleplayers get, hell they have to pay sub HAVE to purchase almost all the emotes and then they aren't that good anyway) and all this "talk" they are doing now is simply spin control in hopes that they can draw some of the suck--err I mean customers into spending money with them again with Neverwinter.

There are a few constants in the mmo scope until we have a "theory of general relativity" moment, Funcom can't release a game in a playable state, despite being the best backed mmo dev house SOE can only be successful through luck, and the people who sign off on Cryptics games are very easy to please if they think that those games are fun enough to justify sub fees.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Oh, I am pretty annoyed at the C store even being there, but Ive expressed that annoyance before a while ago and got a good thrashing with the troll stick... so this time I was trying to just present whats in the C store to those that might not have been aware, and let others come up with their own conclusions about it.   I was not trying to start a qq thread, but rather I was just trying to show everyone whats there.

The bridg packs while they may effect the overall look of the entire interior they have been out before the rest of the ship interior.  For those of you who weren't around in the beggining that was one of the first "hot button" issues Cryptic dealt with, the first company developing the game swore to have interiors Cryptic quickly went without them the noise about this decision was so loud they relented and put the "bridge" in and the packs were sold then too.  so again I never purchased a bridge pack so not sure if the entire ship interior changes but I really was saying in regards to them selling the ability to even access the inside of the ship.

The bridg packs while they may effect the overall look of the entire interior they have been out before the rest of the ship interior.  For those of you who weren't around in the beggining that was one of the first "hot button" issues Cryptic dealt with, the first company developing the game swore to have interiors Cryptic quickly went without them the noise about this decision was so loud they relented and put the "bridge" in and the packs were sold then too.  so again I never purchased a bridge pack so not sure if the entire ship interior changes but I really was saying in regards to them selling the ability to even access the inside of the ship.

Yup, they gave the people what they wanted a half measure of what it should have been . Not that they really had any control over that part.  To have a half measure you have to have a half @ss engine.  ;-p  I repeatedly told people ship interiors were a waste of dev time . They would be useless and really offer no gameplay experience.  Cryptic's engine can't deal with what people wanted from it and coupled with the design decision they chose for the game it was further crippled. So there they have these ship interiors that the devs spent time on and are basically useless.  A lot of this games weaknesses were self evident once you played CO for any period of time . It just happen that the same held true for CO , if you played CoX.

• kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 304

Never spent a buck on C Store except for the free points that i got with game purchase. i am still playing the game and in no way feel that other players have advantage over me in some way. Maybe because i don't have 'i want it all' mentality'. I enjoy my game and don't care what others are spending their money on.

Doesn't it make you mad that you pay $15 a month for the developers to continue to develop stuff for the game, and then they make stuff they want you to pay for?

I can understand having a few items in the store, a costume pack every once in a while, but there is a glut of stuff that they pile into the C-Store. There should not be almost $200 worth of stuff in a store for a game 7 months old. You're paying for them to develop this stuff, they're trying to double dip into your pocket.

They are not MAKING me pay for anything. Thats why i didn't spend even a single buck on it. So why would i get mad over it? when i am not forced to pay for anything?

If you want the stuff you spend $15 a month for them to develop, then yes, you do HAVE to pay for it.

I am getting plenty of content in game for my 15 bucks a month. C-Store is not essential for my gameplay. That is why i don't consider it as content.

That's one thing that makes the C-Store so insulting: STO is light on content and a large number of the updates are C-Store items.

We have to agree to disagree here. You are very negative about STO so i don't expect you to agree with anything i say. But please don't try to tell me that i can't even decide if i am getting my moneys worth from  a game or not. No need to be so obnoxious.

There is huge list of updates, changes and new content added in game over the months (not just C-Store) but really i don't want to waste my precious time by making a long post just to be answered as 'no you are wrong'. Its not worth it.

90% of haters are begging for love. 10% just want a little attention -- Paulo Coelho

We have to agree to disagree here. You are very negative about STO so i don't expect you to agree with anything i say. But please don't try to tell me that i can't even decide if i am getting my moneys worth from  a game or not. No need to be so obnoxious.

There is huge list of updates, changes and new content added in game over the months (not just C-Store) but really i don't want to waste my precious time by making a long post just to be answered as 'no you are wrong'. Its not worth it.

Oh come on. That huge list of updates are mostly big fixes and the like. The game, at it's core, has not changed one iota since release.

You aren't talking to some know-nothing either, I've played STO and I've seen what the game offers. I've played many more MMOs and I've seen what they offer. STO is simply not worth the price of a monthly subscription, and I think most people would make the same judgment.

I have to wonder why you think the game is worth a monthly subscription. Most people who are willing to pay the subscription price seem to because "it's Star Trek," is this your reason as well? What do you actually get out of this game that makes it worthwhile for you to pay for it and put up with Cryptic's greedy double dipping into people's wallets?

a paragraph from dstahl (sto executive producer)

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=177070&page=2

So from where I'm sitting, Cryptic is not throwing STO under the bus, but instead listening to the concerns of the team, and giving us the time and resources we need to begin addressing some of the bigger issues like Ground Combat, Sector Space, Exploration, PVP, and any other big issue that has been clearly called out in reviews.

ummm.. yeah right. "huge" list of updates and changes... that didnt include the core issues the game had at launch (as dstahl points out above)

sorry i think on this one ill take the executive producers word on the fact that most of the game still does not meet expectations and needs lots of work.

• kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 304

Oh come on. That huge list of updates are mostly big fixes and the like. The game, at it's core, has not changed one iota since release.

You aren't talking to some know-nothing either, I've played STO and I've seen what the game offers. I've played many more MMOs and I've seen what they offer. STO is simply not worth the price of a monthly subscription, and I think most people would make the same judgment.

I have to wonder why you think the game is worth a monthly subscription. Most people who are willing to pay the subscription price seem to because "it's Star Trek," is this your reason as well? What do you actually get out of this game that makes it worthwhile for you to pay for it and put up with Cryptic's greedy double dipping into people's wallets?

I don't want to beat around the bush really. Like i said no matter what i say its not going to change your opinion. But i would like to say in my last post that no its not because its just Star trek. i am not even a ST fan. I find game to be fun and for a casual gamer like me i get plenty of things to do for 15 bucks a month. its the cheapest entertainment i can get.

And lastly since you have serious problem with reading posts thorughly. I already mentioned that I am not putting up with cryptics 'double dipping' because i am an open minded person, and i believe that everyone has right to spend their money in any manner they like. I haven't spent a buck on  in game store not because i want to take some higher ground or jump on bandwagon of 'item store' haters but because i don't like anything in there. if i feel i really need something i will go ahead and buy it. Do i care what you or other think? nope. No one is being forced to spend money in item store. Don't confuse what you want with what you need.

90% of haters are begging for love. 10% just want a little attention -- Paulo Coelho

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

STO + C Store = Utter Crap

They have the gall to put content into an item shop when it should be free for this pitifully (still) incomplete game.

The worst aspect for me is that the continued existence of this awful game is that it kills the prospect of there being another, hopefully better Star Trek MMORPG by a better dev house for years to come.

The Star Trek IP and its fans deserve better than this POS.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

Originally posted by Warmaker

They have the gall to put content into an item shop when it should be free for this pitifully (still) incomplete game.

The worst aspect for me is that the continued existence of this awful game is that it kills the prospect of there being another, hopefully better Star Trek MMORPG by a better dev house for years to come.

Ding , ding , ding  !  We have a winner , give this person a tribble .  Hit the nail on the head. Thank you.

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

Originally posted by Warmaker

Ding , ding , ding  !  We have a winner , give this person a tribble .  Hit the nail on the head. Thank you.

the worst part is the day after dstahl put a post up with a laundry list of things that they "are working on next" (most if not all of which have been core problems since before launch), they put another ship in the c-store.

seriously? 

what happened to the "new cryptic" that was going to focus on quality? or is that starting next week?

taken from the cryptic dictionary: QUALITY- definition: coming soon.

• LerchplusLerchplus Member Posts: 6

Wait a minute...back the truck up!

Did someone say Craptic was being allowed to make an online version of Neverwinter???

Does anyone see anything profoundly wrong about this or is it just me?

How many more titles are these people going to be allowed to soil?

Do the license holders of Neverwinter realize the monumentally huge mistake they are making?

Am i asking too many questions?

Much Respect to you all,

Lerch

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Lerchplus

Wait a minute...back the truck up!

1. Did someone say Craptic was being allowed to make an online version of Neverwinter???

2. Does anyone see anything profoundly wrong about this or is it just me?

3. How many more titles are these people going to be allowed to soil?

4. Do the license holders of Neverwinter realize the monumentally huge mistake they are making?

5. Am i asking too many questions?

Much Respect to you all,

Lerch

I numbered your questions for easier reference to my replies:

1.  Yes, they are making an online game set in Neverwinter, however it is not an MMO: It is a co-op game that you have to log into their servers to play (no offline play, unlike the previous NWN games). I'm guessing we'll still see the cash shop and a monthly fee as well.

2. Most people who have posted about it do seem to have a problem with it as well, especially since it is Cryptic making it and they are keeping to the same extremely short development cycle.

3. Apparently as many as they can get their hands on. Jack mentioned after STO launched that they were going to move away from established IPs, and create their own settings. Perhaps that will start with the next game?

4. Probably not; look at D&D 4th edition. Even though Hasbro is suing Atari to revoke the D&D franchise, I have no problem believing that WotC worked hand-in-hand with cryptic to make thi game. After all, it should be out before the lawsuit is settled. WotC will get their cut of the profits and if Atari has to shut down this game due to losing the lawsuit, it's no skin off of WotC's noses; WotC will just select another publisher for the franchise.

5. Nope, ask away!

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan