Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great un biased Review

Comments

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

errr, if you read the review. You will notice that he played for 45-50mins.

Good read all in all.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

*sighs* So what. He played. HE PLAYED AN UNFINISHED PRODUCT. 

OMG. Stop the doomsaying. Every single time a new game comes out, there's a bunch of people out there that just insist on doomsaying absolutely everything about the game, even though it hasn't been released and isn't in beta yet. No wonder this country is going to hell when there are certain portions of the population that insist on saying everything always sucks no matter what. 

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Isane

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by cyphers

And what about us gamers who don't have gaming pep rallies, who don't belong to guilds for games that do not yet exist ( i.e.released ), who don't have any one game they are particularly looking forward to, and still think SWToR will be a steaming pile of WoW-shit?

No game is a "threat" to me, I just calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Funny question: if you don't like any current MMO's and aren't really looking forward to any MMO, then why waste time hanging around MMO game forums since you're not enthusiastic about playing any of them?

Even funnier question: where do you see me saying I don't like any current mmos? And no, I'm not "looking forward" to any of the new mmos in particular. I am watching them ALL equally.

I guess with a sig of  "eyeswideopen" if you are roleplaying your account your response could be nothing less. Watch you don't fall of that noble fence you are sat on. I love people who don't have opinions because they are trying to be oh so politically correct.

Trust me. I'm the last person on these forums you could ever accuse of "politcal correctness".

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259

This thread gave me a good lol. Thanks guys.

/walks away

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Even funnier question: where do you see me saying I don't like any current mmos? And no, I'm not "looking forward" to any of the new mmos in particular. I am watching them ALL equally.

If I misunderstood, then my bad image but you certainly made it sound like you didn't like MMO's much or at the least were indifferent towards the majority of them.

About the OP: people stumbling over his use of word as 'unbiased' or 'review', lol.

Many sites after the Gamescom used terms as 'review' and 'previews' in the headings of their articles to descibe their gameplay experiences at the Gamescom with the upcoming games.

But sure, interpret 'unbiased' as 'balanced' and review as 'preview' or 'impressions' because that's what it is.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by neorandom

Originally posted by segyn

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=191798

This is a great review by someone who has been around the SwTor forms a long time. He has always been very vocal about things he didn't like. If you don't believe he isn't just another fan boy click on his name and look at some of his other posts. He has been very vocal about horrible space combat and the species all being just humans with a different color skin. 

Thought it would be a good read for some of you. 

And even though some people on here say he is a guild leader for the game i would like to see a link to anything that stats that he is because nothing in his sig or profile states he is in a guild for Tor or that he is a leader. The link in his sig actually brings you to a post about how he would like to see PvP be a lot like Daoc pvp.

not to rain on the parade, but you cant possibly call something an unbiased review of a game thats not released to the public and playable yet.  its simply absurd to suggest that you are telling me the truth about something i have no way of confirming or denying.  how bout we wait for the game to be released, people play it, then we right some reviews, and then start calling them unbiased or not!  sounds better to me to do it this way then when stuff is still under nda in closed testing lulz.

Not to rain on your parade but the game WAS released to the public (in a very early beta build) at GAMESCOM where people attending there, normal people, not journalists, could just line up and play the damn game.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• rashherorashhero Member UncommonPosts: 510

Originally posted by Volkmar

This is a great review by someone who has been around the SwTor forms a long time. He has always been very vocal about things he didn't like. If you don't believe he isn't just another fan boy click on his name and look at some of his other posts. He has been very vocal about horrible space combat and the species all being just humans with a different color skin. 

And even though some people on here say he is a guild leader for the game i would like to see a link to anything that stats that he is because nothing in his sig or profile states he is in a guild for Tor or that he is a leader. The link in his sig actually brings you to a post about how he would like to see PvP be a lot like Daoc pvp.

not to rain on the parade, but you cant possibly call something an unbiased review of a game thats not released to the public and playable yet.  its simply absurd to suggest that you are telling me the truth about something i have no way of confirming or denying.  how bout we wait for the game to be released, people play it, then we right some reviews, and then start calling them unbiased or not!  sounds better to me to do it this way then when stuff is still under nda in closed testing lulz.

Not to rain on your parade but the game WAS released to the public (in a very early beta build) at GAMESCOM where people attending there, normal people, not journalists, could just line up and play the damn game.

Being able to play a small portion of the game, essentially a demo, at Gamescon is now considered a release? I thought to have a proper review, one would need to play through the entire game first and foremost. Oh well, silly me.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by rashhero

Originally posted by Volkmar

Being able to play a small portion of the game, essentially a demo, at Gamescon is now considered a release? I thought to have a proper review, one would need to play through the entire game first and foremost. Oh well, silly me.

Apparently, playing a demo that hasn't even entered beta yet is considered release. Could have fooled me. I thought a "demo" was a "demo".

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

I really hate hype sometimes. It's fun to watch the progress of a game and to speculate on aspects of the game that have not been made public yet but when people begin predicting that the game will suck, or that the entire game will fail because of somethign mentioned on the forums, well that just is a huge turn off. It's one of the reasons that I don't sit there refreshing my browser on the forums, that and I've got better things to do.

Whatever happened to taking things for face value? Just taking a game for what it is and playing it? Sure, some things can be horrible and are worth complaining about but all the complaining, BS predicting and whining about every little detail is such a turn off. Everyone that cries about something thinks they are right and all others wrong. It makes you want to say GROW UP AND DEAL WITH IT!

I won't even bother reading that because you can not review something that is not finished. When you do something like that it is a preview, not a review. That is something that this current generation of gamers seems to have forgotten.

• Merlin1977Merlin1977 Member Posts: 168

I liked what he had to write, and thought he was pretty honest with how the game is shaping up, however I am worried with the references he made towards the game looking and feeling like WoW.  I really do hope they make it better then WoW and aren't just copying the format of WoW and adding in lightsabers (as numerous other posts on this site have eluded to).

I will still get this game no matter what and then take it from there, but overall I felt the article gave me a bit more of an insight into how it's shaping up.

• Demonspirit8Demonspirit8 Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by Merlin1977

I liked what he had to write, and thought he was pretty honest with how the game is shaping up, however I am worried with the references he made towards the game looking and feeling like WoW.  I really do hope they make it better then WoW and aren't just copying the format of WoW and adding in lightsabers (as numerous other posts on this site have eluded to).

I will still get this game no matter what and then take it from there, but overall I felt the article gave me a bit more of an insight into how it's shaping up.

From the business side it would make more sense to copy wow and add lightsabers. BW will make a ton of cash going that route. lets face facts wow has several million subs what developer doesn't want that? Also wow is 5 years old? so i am willing to bet alot of the 11mil are looking for the new wow....

• noobletonoobleto Member Posts: 33

Very informative review.

Playing:
    Lotro
    Have Played:
    EQII,DAOC,SWG,COH,EQ,DDO, Lotro,AoC, EvE,Guild Wars,
    Silkroad Online,Aion,and WoW
    Favorite of all time: WoW
    Waiting on:Swtor,Gw2, and Tera

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

well dont need to read it just have to say you cant review a game thats a year away from release. whether is biased of not.

nothing he did will be the same.

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

Game sounds alot like a singleplayer Bioware game.

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------

• agagaagaga Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by jezvin

Except that instead of just buying the game, now you have to pay a monthly rent for it too.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

care to elaborate? information has been posted time and time again that proves otherwise.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by agaga

Except that instead of just buying the game, now you have to pay a monthly rent for it too.

i am curious,what about this game makes it a single player game? please don't waste my time with the typical "its a rail shooter" or "there is no space exploration".

this may not be your cup of tea, it may not be the sandbox game you seem to wish it was. but this "its a single player game" argument has been proven false so many times yet people like you seem to ignore it.

especially someone who seems to follow the game so religiously, one would think you already know this.

here is a recent post by Sovrath that explains it pretty well with links, surprised you didn't see it.

"Bioware further announced their plans to push the small group experience in almost every possible way. In a demonstration of group gameplay, they showed a combat scene with a squad of players defending a base. A Trooper acted as the group's main tank, a Jedi Consular healed and the Smuggler ducked from cover to lay down some damage. The Jedi played the role of off-tank, taking care of any additional enemies that strayed into the battle. Keeping the game accessible to the current MMO fanbase, the game will also include raids and a gear progression system."

http://www.massively.com/2010/06/15/bioware-discuss-swtor-player-ships-group-gameplay-and-pvp-at-e3/

The most notable difference between SW:TOR's group combat and the way group combat is handled in the current MMO king, World of Warcraft, is how character roles are emphasized. While all the characters fit into the classic archetype trinity (Tank, Healer, and DPS), players were called upon to switch roles quite frequently depending on the encounter. As a simple example, when a Sith "lieutenant" came charging out along with the rest of the droids they were battling, it was then up to the Jedi in the group to go keep him busy while the other foes were taken down. There were also several times along the battle when even the Jedi healer had to take up her light saber and help put an enemy or two back in its place. Fortunately, the group playing knew what they ere doing, and were able to transition between roles almost seamlessly - I can only hope to see such resourcefulness in pick up groups when the game has gone live.

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010-06-22/mmosite_quest_e3_2010_swtor_hands_on_preview.shtml

Speaking in an interview with VG247 at E3, Erickson said that the multiplayer part has not been seen by many people yet, but “world arcs are huge” and there are “double-digit hours” worth of quests in multiplayer.

“That’s the part that people really haven’t seen much of yet,” he said. “They’ve only gotten to see the origin worlds. The origin worlds are very story-focused, so a lot of the content – although your friends can come with you and play with you – is still really like ‘You’re Luke and you’re dealing with Yoda.’ And yeah, you guys can team up together and you can go and help him out, but about half the content there is solidly single-player.

“That proportion goes way down as the game goes forward. Again, it’s not single-player, per se. Your friend can go with you, but he can’t mess with [the story].

“Later we get into the multiplayer stuff, and that’s what people haven’t gotten to see. The world arcs are huge. They are double-digit hours of quests – giant chains, all built for multiplayer, all built for your whole group to do this great story together. And that’s where you get the actual story of the war. That’s where you get the conflict between the Republic and the Empire. That’s where you’re trying to take over worlds.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/06/20/swtor-group-quests-have-double-digit-hours-of-quests-and-giant-chains/

Quote from: http://www.tentonhammer.com/events/e3/2010/swtor-ohlen-interview

James: Our game is very open. We’ve developed several worlds, and each of those worlds is wide open, huge worlds with many square kilometers and you’re able to explore those worlds any way you want, just like your standard MMOG

Also check the E3 2010 broadcasts. It took people just under 1 hour to walk across a starting planet, and these are the smaller ones, without doing any quests.

Originally posted by baphamet

care to elaborate? information has been posted time and time again that proves otherwise.

No. Some developer statements have been published. Anyone who knows developers trying to hustle a game knows they're not the most reliable creatures on earth.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

No. Some developer statements have been published. Anyone who knows developers trying to hustle a game knows they're not the most reliable creatures on earth.

its looking more and more like one of those 'vote for Joe' adventure games, but, isnt that exactly like all the other bioware games, DA:Origins and ME, i think the only real difference, if you can call it a difference, is that you dont have to do it all solo (except for the space bit, which is single player only) with the adventures you can invite a friend or two along, not that you need to, as you have a bunch of companions you can take along - which .. funnily enough is also just like every other bioware single player game out...  when the game actually gets released then perhaps we'll see if the game really does qualify as an MMO and not as a single player game with multiplayer options.

• DIR3W0LFDIR3W0LF Member UncommonPosts: 64

Thanks for the share Segyn

Originally posted by Phry

its looking more and more like one of those 'vote for Joe' adventure games, but, isnt that exactly like all the other bioware games, DA:Origins and ME, i think the only real difference, if you can call it a difference, is that you dont have to do it all solo (except for the space bit, which is single player only) with the adventures you can invite a friend or two along, not that you need to, as you have a bunch of companions you can take along - which .. funnily enough is also just like every other bioware single player game out...  when the game actually gets released then perhaps we'll see if the game really does qualify as an MMO and not as a single player game with multiplayer options.

Beta leaks are already appearing on the web - because of some bizarre regulations here, we can't talk about them. Check them out for yourself. Some concerns have proved to be absolutely well founded while others, I am glad to say, are established as groundless.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Never understood why ppl call games clones when they use a similar UI, I mean, books all use the same UI and they are not clones of each other...

Whats important is the game mechanics and objectives

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Funny. I didn't know your alias was Jezvin. Since that's the person Baphamet was asking it of image

you dont have to do it all solo (except for the space bit, which is single player only) with the adventures you can invite a friend or two along, not that you need to, as you have a bunch of companions you can take along - which .. funnily enough is also just like every other bioware single player game out...  when the game actually gets released then perhaps we'll see if the game really does qualify as an MMO and not as a single player game with multiplayer options.

You can only bring along 1 Companion, not a bunch; it's like how classes bring along pets in other MMO's, seems to work for those other MMO's.

About SW:TOR being a singleplayer game with multiplayer options: well, Bioware is stating SW:TOR is a MMORPG, wikipedia says that SW:TOR is a MMORPG, all the intelligent MMO reporting sites state that SW:TOR is a MMORPG, so if I have to make a guess, I'm going for SW:TOR is a MMORPG image

Besides, group play, dungeons, group quests, crafting, open, persistent world: yep, all MMORPG elements, so it sounds like enough of an MMORPG to me. Even more, if SW:TOR isn't an MMORPG, then WoW, LotrO and others shouldn't be called a MMORPG too anymore, because SW:TOR sure has an awful lot in common with them.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Funny. I didn't know your alias was Jezvin. Since that's the person Baphamet was asking it of image

Funny, because it isn't. You do know we're allowed to comment on the posts of other people on this forum.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

you dont have to do it all solo (except for the space bit, which is single player only) with the adventures you can invite a friend or two along, not that you need to, as you have a bunch of companions you can take along - which .. funnily enough is also just like every other bioware single player game out...  when the game actually gets released then perhaps we'll see if the game really does qualify as an MMO and not as a single player game with multiplayer options.

You can only bring along 1 Companion, not a bunch; it's like how classes bring along pets in other MMO's, seems to work for those other MMO's.

About SW:TOR being a singleplayer game with multiplayer options: well, Bioware is stating SW:TOR is a MMORPG, wikipedia says that SW:TOR is a MMORPG, all the intelligent MMO reporting sites state that SW:TOR is a MMORPG, so if I have to make a guess, I'm going for SW:TOR is a MMORPG image

Besides, group play, dungeons, group quests, crafting, open, persistent world: yep, all MMORPG elements, so it sounds like enough of an MMORPG to me. Even more, if SW:TOR isn't an MMORPG, then WoW, LotrO and others shouldn't be called a MMORPG too anymore, because SW:TOR sure has an awful lot in common with them.

One of the reasons why i said when the game is released we'll get to see whether the game really does get to be called an MMO or not, at the moment, its not that clear, because it appears to have more in common with their other games (mass effect - dragon age etc.) than with most other MMO's, but until we can see it for ourselves, rather than read statements, which, regardless of which side of the fence you sit on, are loaded with 'spin' we won't know, there a quite a few issues with SW:TOR that i would prefer to be wrong about, but it does seem like the more i hear, the less those issues are dissapearing, and whether the game is an MO, or an MMO, might at the end of the day, be a side issue.