Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great un biased Review

Comments

• PlutonicwoesPlutonicwoes Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by Anubisan

Originally posted by Plutonicwoes

Did you guys read my review of the Fallout mmo?

It's fantastic.

Sure, it's not out...

No... you're right... I haven't played it...

Oh shit, I guess I shouldn't review it after all.

Umm... but the guy who did this review DID play it. What's your point?

The whole game? Not a limited beta/alpha?

He played the game through and was able to create a full and unbiased review?

From his article:  I got to play for about 45-50mins

If i started posting reviews on MMO's on this site after not even playing them a dang hour, would you consider my reviews accurate?  This is complete crap, but hey, whatever.

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

Originally posted by maskedweasel

You can be a guild leader and still have an unbiased opinion of this game.  You can like the game, want it to succeed,  but still be critical of its features.  I'm sure more than half of the most critical of TOR on this site would agree to that as at one time or another you've heard them say "I want this game to succeed but ..."  

If they truly want the game to succeed yet still have a critical opinion of what they don't like,  then guild leader, or not.  Developer or not.  George Lucas or not.  They can post an honest, even handed review.  I thought the review was very good.  Its not the end all, be all of early reviews as everyone has their own opinion,  but it did cover a lot of information and tried to explain the feel of the game which many people don't have a chance to do right now.

An honest opinion is different from an unbiased opinion.  Parents can give an honest opinion about their children, but you wouldn't call it unbiased.

When someone says this person is unbiased, you go in thinking that the person's perception of what they experience (which you can't) isn't colored by what they want.  This guy started a guild before the game is even out, and he honestly wants this game to succeed - because he is going to play it for a while no matter what.  He really wants it to be good.  That is biase.  I am going to read his review with more care.

It would be nice if some of the WOW execs say "I really want SWTOR to succeed, for the industry as a whole, but...here's my review."  That takes them off the hook right?

We'll only know if his review was unbiased after we play it and compare.  But before that, his review should be read with the fact that he is biased.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

It's fantastic.

Sure, it's not out...

If i started posting reviews on MMO's on this site after not even playing them a dang hour, would you consider my reviews accurate?  This is complete crap, but hey, whatever.

It's a better review than the guy who said he didn't feel like waiting in line for the que so he watched 5 minutes of gameplay over some guys shoulder... Where were you at then?

It's funny how some fans of a certain game will come on here and flame anything about TOR and then a guy gives a review about a game he did not play and he is a Hero on these forums and if you say anything to the contrary you are labeled a troll.

Than when a guy gives a review and he actually PLAYED the game he is biased therefore his review is invalid.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

Originally posted by sungodra

It's fantastic.

Sure, it's not out...

It's a better review than the guy who said he didn't feel like waiting in line for the que so he watched 5 minutes of gameplay over some guys shoulder... Where were you at then?

It's funny how some fans of a certain game will come on here and flame anything about TOR and then a guy gives a review about a game he did not play and he is a Hero on these forums and if you say anything to the contrary you are labeled a troll.

Than when a guy gives a review and he actually PLAYED the game he is biased therefore his review is invalid.

I didn't read the guy who didn't plays review, so I don't know what you are talking about.  

I'm afraid my fan level may not be nearly as rabid as yours, but... "a certain game"? What do you mean by this? 

I play EVE and Darkfall.  Is one of these your "certain game?"

Why don't you get your panties out of a wad fanboy and wait for the game to come out, then check out some reviews?

I have not flamed anything here.  I'm simply stating that playing not even an hour on a pre set up scenario at a Con isn't enough to write a review off of.  That's just the truth.

I plan on picking this game up, and I hope I enjoy it.  So sorry but I am not some evil guy from some "certain game" come to crap on your parade.  This could have been any game in the same scenario and I would have said the same thing.  It's nothing in the world to do with TOR itself.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Lol. You're funny. You didn't actually think he was going to have a complete and full review of a game that isn't out yet , eh? Or do you have problems with the word 'review'? Call it 'report', 'impressions' or 'preview' then.

But for the rest this playtesters' report wasn't any less valid than the others that came from the Gamescom, after reporters and other players reported their impressions.

Just the same as the reviews/reports/articles from short gameplay sessions from a GW2, Rift and TERA. It didn't prevent those other people of doing exactly the same, writing down their impressions of several game aspects.

And that's how it should be read, nothing more, nothing less.

Originally posted by bansan

We'll only know if his review was true to the facts after we play it ourselves and compare.  But before that, every review should be read with the fact that it is biased and subjective.

I fixed your statement for you, you're welcome.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Nice read :) I agree with the OP after checking some posts of the article's writer. The writer is certainly not a fanboy. He voices his opinion, no matter if its negative or positive.

But for the review, I think that any player that is looking forward to SW:TOR will be a little biased after getting to play it. Still he mentioned the AI pathing bugs and generic looking npc characters. A fanboy would never do that or put at least a positive spin on it by saying that its still in development or some excuse like that. He clearly says that he thinks that Bioware should work on it. No excuses from him.

So yeah, I think that the haters in this thread are more biased then the writer of the article :p

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by segyn

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=191798

This is a great review by someone who has been around the SwTor forms a long time. He has always been very vocal about things he didn't like. If you don't believe he isn't just another fan boy click on his name and look at some of his other posts. He has been very vocal about horrible space combat and the species all being just humans with a different color skin. 

Thought it would be a good read for some of you. 

Isn't this a blatant NDA violation?

It's fantastic.

Sure, it's not out...

I didn't read the guy who didn't plays review, so I don't know what you are talking about.  

I'm afraid my fan level may not be nearly as rabid as yours, but... "a certain game"? What do you mean by this? 

Why don't you get your panties out of a wad fanboy and wait for the game to come out, then check out some reviews?

I have not flamed anything here.  I'm simply stating that playing not even an hour on a pre set up scenario at a Con isn't enough to write a review off of.  That's just the truth.

I plan on picking this game up, and I hope I enjoy it.  So sorry but I am not some evil guy from some "certain game" come to crap on your parade.  This could have been any game in the same scenario and I would have said the same thing.  It's nothing in the world to do with TOR itself.

This post made me laugh.

With all this hate going around for this game somebody has to defend it. Alot of the hate is unfounded and we get all this misinformation about it.

Sure there are some things I don't like either, but overall I plan to play this game and I hope to enjoy it.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

He was giving his review of his short playthrough. I don't think he was ever claiming to provide a full review of SWTOR based on less than an hour of play...

Whether you intended to or not, your response came across as very negative and so naturally some of us assume it has its roots in a personal dislike for the game... or even possibly themeparks in general. Based on your choice of current games, I would say that probably isn't far from the truth. You probably won't like this game if EVE and Darkfall are your current favorites...

Originally posted by cyphers

*snip*

We'll only know if his review was true to the facts after we play it ourselves and compare.  But before that, every review should be read with the fact that it is biased and subjective.

Should I quote you on where you called another poster a "hater" for merely pointing out why every review should be read with the fact that it is biased and subjective?  Eh, I won't, and YOU'RE welcome, Captain Obvious Hypoc.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by jpnole

This is a great review by someone who has been around the SwTor forms a long time. He has always been very vocal about things he didn't like. If you don't believe he isn't just another fan boy click on his name and look at some of his other posts. He has been very vocal about horrible space combat and the species all being just humans with a different color skin. 

Isn't this a blatant NDA violation?

No, because all of the information shared in the review is from a public playthrough provided at a games show. If the reviewer had been leaking information from beta, THAT would be an NDA violation. This is not.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

After reading the review am I the only one that got the impression from the article that it's a lot like wow but better? Anyway I left wow many months ago and I'm sure not looking for another game like wow with a  better storyline.

He was giving his review of his short playthrough. I don't think he was ever claiming to provide a full review of SWTOR based on less than an hour of play...

Whether you intended to or not, your response came across as very negative and so naturally some of us assume it has its roots in a personal dislike for the game... or even possibly themeparks in general. Based on your choice of current games, I would say that probably isn't far from the truth. You probably won't like this game if EVE and Darkfall are your current favorites...

I don't have a general dislike of themeparks at all.  So please don't assume, because you know what they say about assuming :)

My favorite mmo of all time is FFXI and I am anxiously awaiting FFXIV.  That said, I dislike "reviews" that come from not really playing the game from that side either. 

And yes my response came across negatively, towards the reviewer.  I never said 1 cross word about TOR.  You guys are just way overly sensitive/defensive/whatever over this game.

To that aion banned guy, What was that "certain game" i'm still wondering.

Should I quote you on where you called another poster a "hater" for merely pointing out why every review should be read with the fact that it is biased and subjective?  Eh, I won't, and YOU'RE welcome, Captain Obvious Hypoc.

Lol. Quote away, if someone said that then I fully agree, but without the context it's hard to tell but certainly unlikely that I would call someone a "hater" just for that. Probably because the poster had a history of nothing but anti posts or other context.

As I've often stated, I don't agree with both fanbois or haters, but am absolutely an advocate of people posting balanced posts, fair enough in their criticism and praise in seeing both the good and bad aspects of a game (or other subject).

It's somewhat strange though, that you don't agree with my fix of your statement, reading your former posts in this thread I'd think you'd see the sense in it. I've said nothing unreasonable in the fix.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

I don't have a general dislike of themeparks at all.  So please don't assume, because you know what they say about assuming :)

My favorite mmo of all time is FFXI and I am anxiously awaiting FFXIV.  That said, I dislike "reviews" that come from not really playing the game from that side either. 

And yes my response came across negatively, towards the reviewer.  I never said 1 cross word about TOR.  You guys are just way overly sensitive/defensive/whatever over this game.

To that aion banned guy, What was that "certain game" i'm still wondering.

SWG/eve/gw2/EQ any sandbox game, or any other new game coming out. 

Ah, so anything but TOR basically.

Got it.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Raul is someone who is very vocal about many things, especially PvP; as he's a former DAoC and Planetside player.

The review was based on 45 minutes of play, as some community members got to play a bit longer apparently; his writeup is balanced, containing both negative and positive points about the game.

It's funny that some people here put on a guile of 'objectivity' but diss every post that is not on the negative side as being fanboyish.

Maybe you'd rather read a 'play experience' by someone who watched the game over another guys shoulder for 15 minutes then?

FYI, most player experiences from GamesCom have been cautiously positive about the game, although there was a great frustration about queueus and short playing times (which Raul did not experience).

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Got it.

Yes, that is pretty much how it works. You have your favorite game with your guild and all your friends and they are all ranting and raving about one game. Then that is when you start to worry. You think that the game has become a threat to your little commmunity. Than you feel the need to take action, by going around here, there ,and everywhere discrediting the game that you think might take all your friends away and ruin your community.

At least that is what I think, why else would people go out of their way to trash a game at every point unless they thought it was a threat?

*snip*

It's somewhat strange though, that you don't agree with my fix of your statement, reading your former posts in this thread I'd think you'd see the sense in it. I've said nothing unreasonable in the fix.

Do I have to really?

1.  Some guys says, hey, here's an unbiased review!

2.  Guy 2 says, not really, it's biased because he really wants this game to succeed.  Oh, and he's a kissup.

3.  YOU, oh, so because he's a kissup, that means the review is biased?  Why would you label this biased?  Haters just gonna hate.

4.  YOU, again, well all reviews should be read with it in mind that it's biased.

So, why would you call him a hater, when he says the reviewer is biased, when it's your opinion that all reviews should be read with this in mind?

Obviously, you just expanded on what I was saying, out of context of this OP, because we are talking about this review, and not every review.  Of course I had no problem with that.

Got it.

Yes, that is pretty much how it works. You have your favorite game with your guild and all your friends and they are all ranting and raving about one game. Then that is when you start to worry. You think that the game has become a threat to your little commmunity. Than you feel the need to take action, by going around here, there ,and everywhere discrediting the game that you think might take all your friends away and ruin your community.

At least that is what I think, why else would people go out of their way to trash a game at every point unless they thought it was a threat?

You aren't still on about me flaming TOR are you?

I thought we cleared this up.  I made a satirical statement about reviewing games before they are even finished and out.

Nothing to do with TOR.

Also, by your logic, if you ever played a MMO before TOR then you are one of these people who must come around to kill this game.  

Right?

Whatever, it was fun.  See you guys when the game is actually out!

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Raul is someone who is very vocal about many things, especially PvP; as he's a former DAoC and Planetside player.

The review was based on 45 minutes of play, as some community members got to play a bit longer apparently; his writeup is balanced, containing both negative and positive points about the game.

It's funny that some people here put on a guile of 'objectivity' but diss every post that is not on the negative side as being fanboyish.

Maybe you'd rather read a 'play experience' by someone who watched the game over another guys shoulder for 15 minutes then?

FYI, most player experiences from GamesCom have been cautiously positive about the game, although there was a great frustration about queueus and short playing times (which Raul did not experience).

Its the same thing as always on the forums. Some people categorize you as an immediate fanboy if you do not express your hate for the game in an outright manner.

I think people should realize that nobody is completely impartial or objective and that just because one likes a certain aspect of something does not mean they don't also notice its shortcomings.

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061

*snip*

Do I have to really?

2.  Guy 2 says, not really, it's biased because he really wants this game to succeed.  Oh, and he's a kissup.

3.  YOU, oh, so because he's a kissup, that means the review is biased?  Why would you label this biased?  Haters just gonna hate.

4.  YOU, again, well all reviews should be read with it in mind that it's biased.

So, why would you call him a hater, when he says the reviewer is biased, when it's your opinion that all reviews should be read with this in mind?

Obviously, you just expanded on what I was saying, out of context of this OP, because we are talking about this review, and not every review.  Of course I had no problem with that.

I think the allusion was that all reviews are somehow subjective and in all fairness this could be called a relatively unbiased review.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Of course no review is totally unbiased but this one seems balanced.Yes the reviewer likes many thing in the game and wants it to succeed but he's not blinded to the games faults during his brief time with it.

What's more interesting is how this review of a hands on demo brings out the unbalanced biases of some posters in these forums in their responses.

*snip*

Do I have to really?

If you think being polite and thanking their sources makes a reporter a kissup and his report biased, then a lot of news reporters are kissups.

Ah, that was not about the comment Guy 2 made in this thread, but referring to his long post history of anti SWTOR rants, that onesidedly negative and devoid of any postive that it can be judged as 'hater'.

Besides, I wasn't that wrong, people that immediately went to tag the review as being biased didn't even read the review to the end, it was kneejerk posting in a pure form.

So, why would you call him a hater, when he says the reviewer is biased, when it's your opinion that all reviews should be read with this in mind? See the comment above, due to the history of that Guy 2 of continuing onesided ranting against anything positive about SW:TOR.   

See above.

I also mentioned there's a difference between bias and bias, as other people mentioned in this thread, or as I said earlier:

'There's a difference between bias and bias, nobody is 100% objective, everybody's viewpoint is subjective.

What the OP was referring to as he states in his other post is the bias as you see with haters and fanbois, where haters only can see and talk about the negative aspects of a game and where fanbois can only see and talk about the positive aspects of a game.

The reviewer that the OP mentioned seems to be able to be interested/enthusiastic in a game while still seeing and voicing loudly the things he disagrees with.

Which is fine to me: I don't expect 100% clear objectivity from anyone anyway in their reviews, what I do prefer and respect is people being able to see both sides of the fence, the good as well as the bad aspects in their eyes and state their opinion of it. Not just merely a game bashing or game adulation line.'

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by agaga

"First of all though, I'd like to thank Sean Dahlberg and Daniela Heine for making it possible for me to play for a nice long time without a queue, even though I turned up a bit late :P And of course for the chit chat. And I gotta thank HergenThaen just for being awesome and Alyssa Bridge for being such a character =p And Leo Olebe for reassuring me SWTOR will be awesome PvP-wise and everything."

Unbiased?

No:

Un biased.

An biased.

A biased.