Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So Cryptic has stopped pretending they make MMOs

Comments

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

LOL Cryptic describes their next game as an "OMG".  How appropriate...that's pretty much the general reaction to Cryptic having the opportunity to butcher another beloved IP.

I'm personally excited for the advent of the Facilitated Accurate Complimentary Expediated Photogenic Allignment Locomotive Motivational system that will be present in Cryptic's fourth MMO, Chutes and Ladders Online.

If you didn't pick it up, C&LO is going to be a casual title.

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by Omali

LOL Cryptic describes their next game as an "OMG".  How appropriate...that's pretty much the general reaction to Cryptic having the opportunity to butcher another beloved IP.

I'm personally excited for the advent of the Facilitated Accurate Complimentary Expediated Photogenic Allignment Locomotive Motivational system that will be present in Cryptic's fourth MMO, Chutes and Ladders Online.

Will it come with Sustained Holisitic Interactive Themes?

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by Dinendae

Originally posted by Xondar123

They're developing Neverwinter to be heavily reliant on UGC, like past Neverwinter games.

That explains why STO is getting UGC in the third season! Either STO is acting as a testbed for the Neverwinter UGC system, or STO is getting Neverwinter's development table scraps. Actually, I vote for "both at the same time."

The thread on the subject in the official STO forums had STO being the test bed for this new game. When you look at how STO is set up, it does look like they were testing base concepts for this next game.

Makes sense when you look at the ground combat and how it's set up .  While they are saying they are going to overhaul ground combat, It appears that STO is the test bed now for the ideas and concepts for the new NWN.

Originally posted by bstiff

More importantly what will the Role Playing oppurtunities be like ?

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

Originally posted by mklinic

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

Jack Emmert: I wouldn't say MMORPG at all--Neverwinter is a cooperative RPG. You can play with a bunch of friends and experience Neverwinter and D&D in a brand-new way. We're trying to create new sorts of games that we call "OMGs" (online multiplayer games).

*snip to reduce length of my post*

I mean, what am I missing? What is new about a co-op experience? If it is just the fact that it is D&D, then any IP that doesn't currently have a co-op title can claim to be making a new sort of game. What seems like blatant marketing talk in place of substance is a major turn off imo. Hopefully I'm just reading it wrong.

It is new in that you will be paying a box + subscriptions for a coop-rpg.  You guys read it all in the wrong context.  It is not a new type of game for players, it's a new type of payment arrangement for game developers.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

They're developing Neverwinter to be heavily reliant on UGC, like past Neverwinter games.

That explains why STO is getting UGC in the third season! Either STO is acting as a testbed for the Neverwinter UGC system, or STO is getting Neverwinter's development table scraps. Actually, I vote for "both at the same time."

The thread on the subject in the official STO forums had STO being the test bed for this new game. When you look at how STO is set up, it does look like they were testing base concepts for this next game.

Makes sense when you look at the ground combat and how it's set up .  While they are saying they are going to overhaul ground combat, It appears that STO is the test bed now for the ideas and concepts for the new NWN.

I want the combat to be like CO in a sense rather than the ground combat in STO. To me CO fighting is more faster paced and more fun. With the overhaul coming to ground combat I'm curious on what all will be redone.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

It woudn't surpised if the new ground combat wasn't more FPS style.  The mechanics are already there, as they are available in CO, just turned off in STO (for some reason).

Originally posted by Sevenwind

I want the combat to be like CO in a sense rather than the ground combat in STO. To me CO fighting is more faster paced and more fun. With the overhaul coming to ground combat I'm curious on what all will be redone.

Yes , but if you examine it . Group combat of up to 5 . Exsisting pets  ( BO's or optional live players ) grouping, it's premade for NWN combat grouping already described. It's really nothing new , it just sounds like their job (NWN team ) will be to refine upgrade ground combat for STO , STO will just implement the changes to fit . 

Also the more reading I've done , it seems possible that these weekly episodes , that are slated for introduction, may be test runs of the UCG. It struck me as odd that they could do these on a weekly basis , but with the release schedule for the NWN indirectly disclosed . It would make sense that the mechanics would be completed or in the test phase before they begin heavy work on the graphic of the game.  So all you STO players enjoy testing the fruits of the UCG.

I may have missed it her but did anyone see the massively interview?

http://www.massively.com/2010/08/23/massively-exclusive-jack-emmert-speaks-about-neverwinter-and-a/

Pretty much sounds like all the crap they spewed when they started hyping STO.  We're going to do better this time blah blah blah.   He admits they plan on developing NWN on the same 18-24 development cycle they used for CO and STO and we saw how well that's worked.  Shitting out a D&D FR RPG in 18 months? Good luck with that.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

http://www.massively.com/2010/08/23/massively-exclusive-jack-emmert-speaks-about-neverwinter-and-a/

Pretty much sounds like all the crap they spewed when they started hyping STO.  We're going to do better this time blah blah blah.   He admits they plan on developing NWN on the same 18-24 development cycle they used for CO and STO and we saw how well that's worked.  Shitting out a D&D FR RPG in 18 months? Good luck with that.

thats nothing (well ok its amusing)... go to the official announcement of the game on this site, or any other major mmo site.......

THERES PAGE AFTER PAGE OF POSTS SAYING THE GAMES GOING TO SUCK! and cryptic has not even released a screen shot yet!.

totaly amazed that atari didnt have the common sense to rename cryptic (not that we wouldnt have noticed) or at least change the entire management team before trying to launch another game.

raistalin's interpretive math applied to neverwinter

neverwinter nights = good

cryptic = very very bad

good + very very bad = very bad

cryptic's neverwinter = very bad (no screen shot needed)

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

Yeah , the funniest part is the mea-culpa by Jack . Yeah we made mistakes with CO and STO and used the wrong design process, yada-yada and we'll get it right with the next game. WTF ARE GOING TO ABOUT THE GAMES YOU ALREADY DID JACK ? 

It's like, yeah we made mistakes , we've moved one. You dont see the other major MMO development teams moving onto the next money making MMO project they stick with the game they have made and improve it constantly, cryptic seems to have the illusion that a handful of the original staff is all that is needed to maintain the game. 

It an old joke , but appropriate. How do you know Jack Emmert is lying ?  He's talking !

In the massively interview, I like how he claimed NWN isn't going to be instanced but have "private areas". Uh isn't that the same thing?  He then calls them instances about 2 questions farther on in the interview.  So sounds like it will be a reskinned co/sto with dragons. They will already have had some of the effects done from CO. They've got the cold/fire/electricity power sets as well as a melee weapon power set if I remember correctly. All they have to is rename the electricity set lightning bolt, the fire set fireball and the cold set cone of cold and that will probably be as much D&D as we get from cryptic.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Ironically, he talks about having more polished features after that mention of the timeframe. Unfortunately, that will probably mean the game will be light on content as well: That polish comes from spending time on a feature; if you keep a ridiculously short time frame, one that caused your two previous games to be widely criticised, then you need to spend more time in development.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

Ironically, he talks about having more polished features after that mention of the timeframe. Unfortunately, that will probably mean the game will be light on content as well: That polish comes from spending time on a feature; if you keep a ridiculously short time frame, one that caused your two previous games to be widely criticised, then you need to spend more time in development.

JACK to dinendae:

"dam your logic and reason... we CAN DO IT!... just because you say two plus two does not equal five, doesnt mean we cant prove you wrong! YOU WILL SEE!! AND PEOPLE WILL GET IT!!!"

/SARCASM OFF

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

Originally posted by raistalin69

JACK to dinendae:

"dam your logic and reason... we CAN DO IT!... just because you say two plus two does not equal five, doesnt mean we cant prove you wrong! YOU WILL SEE!! AND PEOPLE WILL GET IT!!!"

/SARCASM OFF

Me to Jack:

Dude, you really don't belong in this industry; you always keep sticking your foot in it. Take those degrees in ancient history, and go be a teacher at some college, like you were obviously planning to do originally. Better yet, go back to school and take some basic business classes.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

JACK to dinendae:

/SARCASM OFF

Me to Jack:

Dude, you really don't belong in this industry; you always keep sticking your foot in it. Take those degrees in ancient history, and go be a teacher at some college, like you were obviously planning to do originally. Better yet, go back to school and take some basic business classes.

seriuosly dinendae? the guy has degrees in history? dont you learn about history so you dont make the same mistakes.... over and over again?

• DocZDocZ Member Posts: 105

im glad Marvel decided not to go with Cryptic to make there mmo

I challenged my reflection to a staring contest....4 days later i won

seriuosly dinendae? the guy has degrees in history? dont you learn about history so you dont make the same mistakes.... over and over again?

From what was stated in an interview (one of those getting to know person X questions they always give at the start of an interview), he has a couple degrees in history and was on his way towards another (can't remember what that subject was, but I'm thinking maybe ancient literature?). I remember thinking when I read it that he was far more suited for being a professor in some college's history department, rather than game development. If I remember correctly, he also ran a comic store for someone as well.

Originally posted by DocZ

As am I. I favor the Marvel universe over DC, but I wouldn't want to see either games get made by Cryptic. I'm not too thrilled about SOE working on the DC Universe one, but my main complaints with them have always been about their lousy customer service, so I am willing to give that game a try.

• DocZDocZ Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by DocZ

As am I. I favor the Marvel universe over DC, but I wouldn't want to see either games get made by Cryptic. I'm not too thrilled about SOE working on the DC Universe one, but my main complaints with them have always been about their lousy customer service, so I am willing to give that game a try.

Yea seems like from what i seen  of DCs mmo it could work but im not sure how any of the characters  designs fit how DC designs there characters.. kinda look out of place , but thats minor solid gameplay can make you ignore that. SOE has always had bad custmer  service so you go in knowing that so if its still bad that bothers me none or at least nothing from what i have already expected..

Still would rather a Marvel mmo for a while looked like they were gonna go with the " Inititave " story arch with a mix of added mutants and agents ( shield/hydra). but so far its sunk now... or at least put off.. still the main one im looking forward too

I challenged my reflection to a staring contest....4 days later i won

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

WHY, WHY, WHY would ANYONE buy another Cryptic game?   How much shit do they have to shovel before they go into Administration, it can't be long now.

We all know this NEW game will just be new graphics in the COH engine, just like CO was and just like STO was, this company are a joke, a total joke.

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Mackeh

WHY, WHY, WHY would ANYONE buy another Cryptic game?   How much shit do they have to shovel before they go into Administration, it can't be long now.

We all know this NEW game will just be new graphics in the COH engine, just like CO was and just like STO was, this company are a joke, a total joke.

I have no idea what you're talking about. It's going to be an OMG!!!! game! Jack Emmert even told us so!

Come back when you make sense!

(just kidding)

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

More importantly what will the Role Playing oppurtunities be like ?

Heh methinks you missed the acronyms...

Facilitated Accurate Complimentary Expediated Photogenic Allignment Locomotive Motivational - F.A.C.E.P.A.L.M.

Sustained Holisitic Interactive Themes - S.H.I.T.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• saya1965saya1965 Member Posts: 46

Cyptic Promotes cheating by making people pay more for races  better then the standard. The Same goes with ships. there is no  game balance in sto or champions online.

Case in point the Enterprise X class. If you have the extra money it can be yours. Cyptic is like that used car sales guy.  Sure the car runs! it may need some work thow! car blows up after you get it off the lot.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by saxifr

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/288489/General-Neverwinter-Nights-Online-Something-in-Between.html

Now if they could just say that about STO and stop charging a monthly fee...

Well, yes, STO is more of s CORPG too. But I got the feeling they meant more "We plan to mix the classic NWN with Guildwars" and using the term CORPG we can just say that it is the same type of game instead of a rip off.

Still, the best choice for NWN. Cryptic can't really pull of a true MMO anymore if they ever did. And a Forgotten realms game you can play with your friends isn't so bad, particularly if they let you make your own content and run it as GM.

Star trek is not a good IP for CORPG, but Forgotten realm is, FR is originally thought to be played like that but with pen and paper.

Still, I wonder about fees and cash shop, Cryptic have seems to be greedier and greedier as time pass. It wouldn't surprise me if they want monthly fees for a CORPG even with knowledge on how bad that went for DDO while how good B2P went for GW.