Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do the Devs deal with the dwindling population issue? How should they?

EgaoNoGenkiEgaoNoGenki Member Posts: 397

How I think they should deal with it:

I would recommend letting "Froobs" into the game - noobs who didn't pay to get in, and in exchange, play only the "vanilla" version - not with the ToD or even DM expansion packs. That strategy worked quite well in Anarchy Online. Believe me, I was one of the swarm of froobs there for a while.

Then ads could appear on town bulletin board flyers saying that they'll throw in {insert highly-desired set of items, etc. here} if the froob upgrades to one or two expansion packs in a certain time period. That marketing strategy should lure and keep new players in.

Comments

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Wouldn't work. Asheron's Call players tend to have multiple accounts, one of the main reason for this is they like to horde stuff and need the extra storage space. As soon as you allow them to have free mules they will dumb all those mule accounts which means lost money.

They are handling the "dwindling population" by growing it. every few months they release an extra big patch. This always bumps the population up a bunch and then the population either holds steady or slowly drops until the next one, so each time it reaches a higher level then the previous one.

You won't get too many people who aren't willing to spend 12.95 a month (yes they have a lower sub cost then other MMOs) but will play a free version of AC and then spend that much some other way. I don't see making any aspect of it free, beyond the already free trial, helping a game of this style at all.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

From what I'm seeing in game and on the forums, the population is anything but dwindling the past month or so.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

2 years of my child hood was spent on Asheron's Call. But I won't go back, not with WoW - Old Republic - DC Universe. I beleve AC is still P2P because..well, Turbine only has two fairly good MMO's. including 10 year old AC. Fail Turbine.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Originally posted by Joshua69

2 years of my child hood was spent on Asheron's Call. But I won't go back, not with WoW - Old Republic - DC Universe. I beleve AC is still P2P because..well, Turbine only has two fairly good MMO's. including 10 year old AC. Fail Turbine.

It's still P2P for a few reasons. One it works. Two the type of people who play AC don't like those f2p games. Third, those three game you listed are not the least bit interesting.

They have their market, and it's not the type of game that is for everyone. People who play it like pure gameplay over shiny new graphics in a linear, completely on rails, WoW/WoW clone.

Fail Turbine? The company that has two recent successful MMOs and a third that is about a decade old and still making them money? What is your definition of success?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Well, I suppose they make a little more then Cryptic :P

:)

• EgaoNoGenkiEgaoNoGenki Member Posts: 397

What the h311 are you doing bad-mouthing Cryptic? How do you think their Star Trek Online title is working?

Incidentally, my character there is some inconsequential Betazoid ensign named Asheron Realaidain whose ship is the USS Asheron's Call. His first officer will be Thorsten Cragstone Jr. and his first counselor will be Elysa A. Strathelar.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

By fixing their antiquated network code so that vet players that want to play, can again.

I've been trying to give them my money for awhile now, as well a a few others I know, but we cannot get past the conection issues.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!