Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cant use the broker at all, unless you pay for gold...Lame

DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

I could accept not being able to list items, but not being able to purchase? What the heck?

The free version basically makes you feel like you are running arouund solo, you cant use the global channels, you cant even see them, you cant use the mail system, you cant use shared banks, you cant use the broker.

I cant imagine anyone making it to make level on the bronze version with no access at all to the broker system, i basically have to find all my skills and my armor upgrades on my own because i cannot use the community to purchase them. And if i did decide to go gold, id lose my character because the live servers and the F2P servers arent the same, so if i want to go live and pvp, and experience the rest of the game, id just have to start over.

I am really trying to get back into this game, but with all these little quality of life things that Sony is trying to nickle and dime people for, i really shouldnt even bother.

I made it to level 17, and i really dont have the motivation to continue knowing that if i decide to go gold i have to start over, sure i could stay on the extended server but that would mean i would have to sacrifice pvp forever... and always be behind one expenansion, just doessnt make any sense.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

Comments

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

You expected more from SOE...really?

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

You expected more from SOE?

Its not that i expected more, but at the very least i just wanted to try enjoying the game, Sony wouldve easily had me purchase 1 or 2 months of gameplay on ym own if i didnt feel like i HAD to purchse it just to experience the bareminium esencials of hte game.

They gotta make their money somewhere fine, charge for bag space, mounts, novelty crap cool, but limiting the amount of quests you can do, how much gold you can carry, how much you can actually level up your skills. You can join a guild but you cant create one, you cant talk in the majority of the channels, you cant whisper, you probably cant trade i havent tried yet, but im going to guess you cant, since you cant use the Mail system so it wouldnt surprise me.

They went overboard with the restrictions, and i honestly nolonger wish to keep playing.

What you guys need to understand is, i have a levle 50 shadowknight, and a level 38 defiler, i played everquest 2 for 4 months when it launched, but i didnt like a lot of the changes the made, this was at  launch, so after a good 6 years have passdi figured i would give it another go.

My idea was, if i liked it i would just go gold and play the new character, but on my own terms, i dont want to pay for the gold subscription just so i can gain some of hte basic niceities so i can continue to test the game.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

Originally posted by Lonestryder

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

I could accept not being able to list items, but not being able to purchase? What the heck?

The free version basically makes you feel like you are running arouund solo, you cant use the global channels, you cant even see them, you cant use the mail system, you cant use shared banks, you cant use the broker.

I cant imagine anyone making it to make level on the bronze version with no access at all to the broker system, i basically have to find all my skills and my armor upgrades on my own because i cannot use the community to purchase them. And if i did decide to go gold, id lose my character because the live servers and the F2P servers arent the same, so if i want to go live and pvp, and experience the rest of the game, id just have to start over.

I am really trying to get back into this game, but with all these little quality of life things that Sony is trying to nickle and dime people for, i really shouldnt even bother.

I made it to level 17, and i really dont have the motivation to continue knowing that if i decide to go gold i have to start over, sure i could stay on the extended server but that would mean i would have to sacrifice pvp forever... and always be behind one expenansion, just doessnt make any sense.

And so begins the enlightenment. I recommend purchasing a regular subscription and joining one of the regular servers. The free one is not only some kind of horror house of constraints, it is far more expensive. That's right, the free server is far more expensive to play the game as it was originally designed.

I'll not get into my personal opinion of the game, but I thought I would try to point you in the right direction based on your post.

Seems like gambling to me, if i cant play this version and get a good idea of how the game has progressed before giving them my credit card then what is the point?

Ifhte live version and the extended version are nothing a like then it seems like id have to hope for the best if i were to buy it.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

And if i did decide to go gold, id lose my character because the live servers and the F2P servers arent the same, so if i want to go live and pvp, and experience the rest of the game, id just have to start over.

What?  Doesn't going gold simply unlock the restrictions?  So how does that work anyways?  If you wanted to play on the other servers you would have to pay a different $15 to sub to those ones or does going gold allow you to make a character on those ones as well?  Seems rather silly if you think about it.

...and yes, they went overboard on the restrictions.  It's rather comical actually unless of course you were really looking forward to this hehe

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I played it today. Have a regular subscription but I wanted to see what it would be like for new players on the new model. S.O.E you got it all wrong.......again. You must have looked at Dungeons & Dragons online when you where going through this transition. How could you mess up your new model so badly? I mean that go's on to a whole new level of greed if not stupidity.  I know some of you S.O.E guys read this forum so here is an analogy/ question for you. There is a stick. Dungeons & Dragons is holding the right end of the stick. What side of the stick are you holding? Here is a clue, it's not the left end.  How can you expect to get new subsriptions when you deny players access to basic amenitys......Two bank slots for example? Whats anybody going to be able to do with that. The free to play market, if that is who you are trying to bring in here as I presume most people thinking about subscribing would just get the free trial, but I digress. The free to play market is used to better things than this, and your model is largely a giant step backwards. I guess time will tell if you are correct about how stupid you really think people are if you are successful in this endevour. Most gamers I know would simply be driven away from what I think and despite your managment is a very good game which badly needs a biger population.  Bad form S.O.E, bad form.

I have to say that the DDO model is perfect.  Although one thing I will say in SOE's defense (as much as it pains me to do so) is that the design of DDO does make it a lot easier to make it a f2p game than EQ2 or LotR.

However, there are some common sense factors that should have come into play that it seems SOE just threw out the window.

For instance, broker usage should be restricted to free players not unuseable.  Makes no sense.  You're hurting the economy of that server in general by restricting commodities available to others on the server including the paying people.

Same with the spell, item, and chat restrictions.  I don't see how this setup is going to entice people to play on this server in the long run for any considerable amount of time.  All I see it doing is either getting people to sub to the normal servers or going to a game that isn't so restricted in its f2p model.

Very flawed design so far.  I feel bad for new players really.  My advice would be to give it a test run on here since their much better trial is apparently gone and then run like hell from these servers to the normal ones if you really want to make this your game for the near future.

I really think they should have gotten more feedback on this before launching it.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

(edit)

I really think they should have gotten more feedback on this before launching it.

Agree with this and the rest of your post wj. Have to say though that when have S.O.E  ever given a rats arse about anybodys opinion? Unless they have there own personel demographic of yes men testers they have locked in a bed room and only let them out on a sunday to play pong.......ummmm......thats the only case that I can think of where people would have given positive feedback to this new model. :)

• MithiosMithios Member Posts: 271

Yeah, SOE pretty much sucks.

A tiny mind is a tidy mind...

True

I guess they'll have to learn the hard way...heh

Lets not forget as much I really like Turbine's f2p DDO model it had its growing pains too.  Level sigils anyone?

Just doesn't seem to me that DDO had the amount of kinks to woprk out that EQ2 does.  Especially if they plan on making this their eventual payment model for the game as a whole.  Which I personally think is their eventual goal.

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

Sony might ease up on some of the restrictions over time but I think many of them were made not to force people to play but to make it very difficult for gold farmers to establish themselves in the game. In every game that has trial accounts where people can shout out in channels, mail gold, and put items up for sale there are tremendous abuses by the gold farmers. They are much less willing to pull those tricks if they have to pay for access to only lose the account by violating the the EULA terms.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

True

I guess they'll have to learn the hard way...heh

Lets not forget as much I really like Turbine's f2p DDO model it had its growing pains too.  Level sigils anyone?

Just doesn't seem to me that DDO had the amount of kinks to woprk out that EQ2 does.  Especially if they plan on making this their eventual payment model for the game as a whole.  Which I personally think is their eventual goal.

• ValkyrieValkyrie Member UncommonPosts: 192

You can go gold on the EQ2X servers without loosing your character, you just stay at the EQ2X server. On EQ2X you have the same content as on EQ2live but only access to 4 races (which you can buy on top).

Apart from that: there was a lot - and I mean A LOT - feedback from players on the EQ2X introduction. SOE ignored it though.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?&topic_id=483444

More than 200 pages meanwhile with pretty much no reaction whatsoever.

That includes that we told them the bronze and silver restrictions are breaking the gameplay and removing the trial from the EQ2live servers causes those to die slowly. I cancelled because of the removing of the EQ2live trial. But my account is still running so during that time I can still invite people via the Recruit-a-friend feature to EQ2live for 2 weeks of free play with some bonuses. Meaning if you want to try that, send me a PM with your email adress than I will invite you to EQ2live for the trial.

Don't be surprised though, with the introduction of EQ2X the UI of EQ2live was changed too and you now have the station cash market items in all the ingame merchants too. There are evac, xp, tracking etc. potions. :( Several (guild level restricted) mounts were removed to be station cash only now - the uproar in the forums was so big though they agreed to put them back in and will in future probably offer different mounts for station cash than those offered for ingame money once your guild made it to a certain level.

Several people are cancelling as they dislike the "your gameplay won't be affected by the introduction of EQ2X" promise was not true at all. Many unhappy vet's at the live servers and I hope for SOE that the EQ2X server make up in income loss what EQ2live is loosing now.

Played: Pretty much any fantasy MMO, some did not even make it to release ...
    Favorites: UO, EQ2, Vanguard, Wurm Online, Salem, ESO, Creativerse
    Playing: ESO, Creativerse, Guild Wars 2
    Anticipating: (sigh) ... maybe Ashes of Creation

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

so in the end you decide you had enough, but apart form the restrictions you got you still love the core of the game and what's the logical choice you make then?

You go Gold.

The way SOE planned it out.  :P

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

As a long time Live subscriber I figured I'd give Extended a pop. Very very bad. No broker=no need or desire to gather/craft. No way to speak ooc for help or groups...

Anyone trying out EQ2 through Extended would have no clue about crafting, one of the best parts of the game.

It is a naked grab for new subscribers, and done rather poorly.

I leveled some toons up to 18 and 20 and got so bored I have bailed.

• Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302

the way SoE wants EQ2X to work they might not loosen up on the restrictions, well maybe a little. But they won't have any sympathy for people wanting to play without ponying up a subscription. Whole thing is basically a overglorified trial that robbed EQ2Live of its trial. Also paying all those little fees and the sub just makes you stuck on the 'trial' servers just with no trial restrictions.

If you wanted to play EQ2, just buying the full game and getting the sub is the best way. Unfrotunately for people who don't play EQ2 this isn't public knowledge.

No offense to those F2P advocates but i hope it fails miserably. They did everything wrong and even started seriously pissing off Eq2Live people by doing stuff they repeatedly promised not to do.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

You expected more from SOE...really?

Actually yes,because the server is going to run no matter what,so i would have thought SOE would give a bit better playing field to entice people to spend money at some point down the road.Instead this is just a glorified TRIAL,that discourages people from spending money.They SHOULD realize that some players will buy station cash as they can afford it,but don't like to be tied into a gold plan.

The limitations are not so noticeable early levels but eventually they would become unbearable.What makes even worse sense is that they are over crowding the server with vets because they get total free access without limitations if they maintain a regular account.

My take on the effectivness of the server would be to have an account,then you get a free player to duo box or whatever.Then they would get an additional 10 bucks for access to Silver and 2 shared bank slots.

There really should be no reason to form a gold account on Xtended because why woukld you when yo ucan just play on regular servers with full access.Sooooo the basis of the server should be to entice timely station cash purchases.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KossuthKossuth Member UncommonPosts: 56

Threads like this make me scratch my head. You want what the full game has but you don't want to pay for it ... in fact you specifically mention your other characters...

Saying you want to "test" whether to come back is a weak excuse at best imo as you could just sub your account for a month and experience the full game without the hastle of  the new servers. I pay a massive huge £9.79 a month so its not even expensive.

So just to help with a translation of what you said:

"I want to level a character for free on the new servers and then transfer it to the main servers.... and will probably then sell them."

Personally as a long term and current subscriber I wish they'd stop wasting time on the extended etc game and actually concentrate on improving the main one but sadly I also accept they're a business and need more people so its catch 22.

Bjoern / Sir Prime

Habitual Euthanasia
    Pandemic Legion

• Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302

Originally posted by Wizardry

What makes even worse sense is that they are over crowding the server with vets because they get total free access without limitations if they maintain a regular account.

No I don't. I only get full access to EQ2X with a live sub if I pony up the $35 for a character copy from live. Even then the removal of restrictions only applies to that particular character until I get a seperate EQ2X sub.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

Here is the thing about the F2P market... it is competitive.

People play the game because they dont have to pay for it first. This makes it easy to join.

They leave because they dont get hooked on the game. This makes it easy to leave.

F2P games have to work much harder to keep players than P2P. P2P is about marketting the game, to get them to buy... and once they buy, it is easy to keep them, as they have comited. F2P is about keeping them playing,  because they dont have any comittment.

P2P companies dont understand that you have to work much harder at keeping them satisfied with F2P.

• imp0imp0 Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by Mithios

Yeah, SOE pretty much sucks.

yeah that

even lotro has a better f2p then eq2 :(

Originally posted by Muke

so in the end you decide you had enough, but apart form the restrictions you got you still love the core of the game and what's the logical choice you make then?

You go Gold.

Is that the logical choice? I havent finished my personal test yet, but im at an impass, if i dont go gold i cant experience the rest of the game  and if i do go gold i might not actually be as wrapped up in it as i think i am, becasue from what i am reading the real game and the extended game are very different.

Originally posted by Kossuth

Threads like this make me scratch my head. You want what the full game has but you don't want to pay for it ... in fact you specifically mention your other characters...

Saying you want to "test" whether to come back is a weak excuse at best imo as you could just sub your account for a month and experience the full game without the hastle of  the new servers. I pay a massive huge £9.79 a month so its not even expensive.

So just to help with a translation of what you said:

"I want to level a character for free on the new servers and then transfer it to the main servers.... and will probably then sell them."

Personally as a long term and current subscriber I wish they'd stop wasting time on the extended etc game and actually concentrate on improving the main one but sadly I also accept they're a business and need more people so its catch 22.

You should read my post, i dont want the full game for free, but i want some logical restrictions..

Do you think not being able to chat, use trade, use mailbox, use the auction house, 2 bank slots and 2 bag slots is resonable?

Imagine playing the live game like that, where you basically are playing an MMO in a solo world because there is NO WAY you are going to make a group for anything if you cant use the global channel, you cant upgrade your gear because you cant purchase a single thing from the broker.

I dont think allowing us to purchase but not sell with the auction ouse is not asking for the game for free.

And what makes you believe i want to transfer my characters just to sell them...?

You know i actually forgot that sony is the only company stupid enough to encourage character sales.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by Muke

You go Gold.

Is that the logical choice? I havent finished my personal test yet, but im at an impass, if i dont go gold i cant experience the rest of the game  and if i do go gold i might not actually be as wrapped up in it as i think i am, becasue from what i am reading the real game and the extended game are very different.

Extended is just a restricted EQ2 version, and in the end those free players will either stop and some will gain SOE a few more subscriptions and thus more money.

And I wouldnt be surprised if you end up paying more money when playing the Extended version instead of the original game.......SOE are very keen on item malls since they had no subs in SWG anymore and they started milking the staying base with ingame shops.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Do you think not being able to chat, use trade, use mailbox, use the auction house, 2 bank slots and 2 bag slots is resonable?

Personally, I think the bag and bank slot restrictions are reasonable.  The other ones you mentioned?  Those are ridiculous.  You do have a bit more storage space in your house vault too.  Not huge mind you but helps a bit for storing some things.

Frankly, I think it should be like the two I mentioned.  Restricted yet still present.  Therefore enticing people to possibly spend money to lift the restrictions individually if they so desire or deal with it if they don't want to spend the money.

The key is limiting access not making it completely unaccessible from what I have seen with successful f2p games.  Something apparently SOE has either missed out on or simply doesn't care about.