Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apparently the connection issues persist

Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

I just downloaded the 14 trial and I still cannot connect to the game.

The launcher updated fine, I connected fine, but after a few minutes of waiting for the second vial to fill up, disconnected.

I have tried multiple times using all the suggested fixes in the forums with no luck.  I have zero issues connecting to any other game.

It's a shame because I am a beta/launch, 5+ year vet of the game and I want to play again but cannot due to these issues.

I wouldn't think this would be a horribly difficult thing to fix, but maybe it just isn't a priority for Turbine since it's an older game.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

Comments

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Been a problem for years now. It's sad really. Many current players deny it is a major problem yet posts like yours pop up here and on the official forums frequently. You also have to consider some people never post. There are a lot of subscribers lost over the years because of this. Turbine's solution to the problem is "Call your ISP", which is laughable. Putting the burden on the customer is terrible business.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Well, after a week of trying all the "fixes" and working with my ISP to try and get AC to run I have again failed and will be cancelling.

This is my second go around attempting to get AC to work without luck.  Until I hear they have updated their network code, it will be my last.

As a 5+ year vet and beta tester of AC, it makes me sad not to be able to visit Dereth again, and it looks as though I may never get to.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• maxtlionmaxtlion Member Posts: 79

Join the gang - I went through 2 trials using most of my free hours to try and get back in, but even jumping through all the port forward and firewall permission hoops, no joy - that damn update vial would not fill up.

I played AC for a number of years before moving on and can honestly say that it's head and shoulders over all other MMOs I've played since. I wish I could get back in, but it looks impossible without buying a system and connection dedicated to this one piece of software - far too expensive no matter how much fun it was/is.

There was a thread on the official AC forums a month or so back from one of the admins, saying that he was working on the router code, but no response back from him on udpates yet - we can live in hope....

....but I wouldn't hold my breath....

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Majority of this comes from certain routers.

The issue is that AC is using a proper and official networking method but some routers (usually the more inexpesive ones) have decided not to support an official networking protocol of the internet, which AC happens to use.

Most routers that have this issue can be made to work but there have been reports of a couple of specific models that people could not get working. Usually port forwarding will do the trick, also changing the router from NAPT to NAT connection type will almost always work. On some stubborn routers you may have to set up a DMZ on the router.

These tips usually get people through though.

1. If using win vista/7 either give AC admin level access or install it outside of the program files directory. Microsoft decided it didn't want programs writing to files in the program files directory anymore because their personal preference is to have the writable files put in a place like documents. AC being 11 years old isn't setup that way so you have to do one of those two things. I personally install all of my games in c:games since I do play a decent number of older games and Windows is annoying that way.

2. Do not install decal/try to get two computers working on the initial setup. There are some decal with win 7 issues that prevent connecting so this can confuse the issue. Do a pure/fresh install of AC and see if that connects. Once you get that connected then work on getting decal installed if you want to use it/work on getting 2 different computers to connect at the same time.

3. If it is failing to connect try plugging directly into your modem. If that works then you know it is the router.  At this point you can work with the port forwarding or switch the router from NAPT to NAT which does solve the issue for most routers that have the problem. Others you may have to setup a DMZ.

Is it ideal? No. But you have to remember the game is 11 years old and is using an official recognized method of networking protocols that some newer routers decided to cut out which is the real issue.

Cheers SnarlingWolf, I think it's the NAPT vs NAt part which is screwing me over - I phoned up my ISP and they went "huh?" when I asked them if it was possible to switch over - not optimistic there!

I'm going to try and find an ISP which gives the choice and go again - I will prevail!

Originally posted by maxtlion

Cheers SnarlingWolf, I think it's the NAPT vs NAt part which is screwing me over - I phoned up my ISP and they went "huh?" when I asked them if it was possible to switch over - not optimistic there!

I'm going to try and find an ISP which gives the choice and go again - I will prevail!

Although it is sad that the tech guy at your ISP is that clueless, it should be something you can set in your router (although some routers don't give the option).

• DracheSCDracheSC Member Posts: 83

What brand and model router do you have?

If it's possible to modify the necessary settings with your router, I will gladly help you do so. :)

True mages don't die. They strategically miscalculate.

• bborwoeorksbborwoeorks Member Posts: 24

Hopefully this can shed some light on the issue.

I have 4 port router which we have used for years to have all 4 of us play various games simultaneously with no errors. Been searching for something new to play for weeks. My son and I both downloaded AC this morning. Created accounts. Logged in. He gets in and starts playing on his computer. Mine loses connection to server while attempting to update. This happened 4 times in a row.

Now what?

Originally posted by bborwoeorks

I have 4 port router which we have used for years to have all 4 of us play various games simultaneously with no errors. Been searching for something new to play for weeks. My son and I both downloaded AC this morning. Created accounts. Logged in. He gets in and starts playing on his computer. Mine loses connection to server while attempting to update. This happened 4 times in a row.

Now what?

so... I  tried a different server and viola it worked. Of course my son went back to bed so I am not totally sure if it worked because he wasn't playing or because of the different server... will know later today.

Now what?

so... I  tried a different server and viola it worked. Of course my son went back to bed so I am not totally sure if it worked because he wasn't playing or because of the different server... will know later today.

yep it was because he went to bed. For some reason both of us can't be on at the same time.....

Any help?

Now what?

yep it was because he went to bed. For some reason both of us can't be on at the same time.....

Any help?

There is plenty of information on their tech forums for this very issue (I will always advocate people going to the company's official tech forums first as they likely have the answer to the issue you have).

AC wasn't made with the intention of multiple people playing on the same connection (hell when it was released most people had 1 computer to their house if they had one at all).

I believe all you have to do is go to the my documentsasheron's call folder and open the userpreferences.ini. Find the line that says UserSpecifiedPort=0. Change that line on each machine to a different range. Ex. 9000-9005 on one and 9006-9013 on the other. That way the information will not cross over each other and cause issues for multiple machines running at the same time.

I believe that is all you have to do.

Cheers DracheSC, I'm using a BT Home Hub in the UK, as part of their (British Telecom's) total broadband package. Any help you can provide will be gratefully accepted! Please drop me a PM with any hints you can give.

Many thanks,

Max

Now what?

You're experiencing an old issue that has been around since AC was launched. Both of your clients are trying to use port 9001 to communicate with the AC server. Because of the age of AC's code, routing is left completely to your router. Your router isn't sure which machine all of this port 9001 traffic should be sent to, as both you and your son are requesting data of the exact same type, on the exact same port, at the exact same time.

Check this out. It should solve your problem.

http://forums.ac.turbine.com/showthread.php?t=22982

Just specify 9001 on your machine, and 9002 on your son's.

Cheers DracheSC, I'm using a BT Home Hub in the UK, as part of their (British Telecom's) total broadband package. Any help you can provide will be gratefully accepted! Please drop me a PM with any hints you can give.

Many thanks,

Max

Max:

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, life is crazy! I'm about 99.9% sure your problem has nothing to do with NAPT/NAT, but I could be wrong. For the sake of eliminating NAPT as a cause, lets find out if your hardware is actually using it.

I couldn't find much information on your router on the web (as far as technical documentation goes) but, you may want to try giving your ISP a call back and asking them about NAPT again. Only this time, try all of the different ways it's known:

NAPT aka:

PAT

RAPT

RAT

or NAT Overloard.

For more information regarding NAPT/et all. check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_address_translation (maybe point your ISP's tech support people to that page, too?)

Also, obviously we should look on your router's configuration page and see if there are any settings options like I have listed above (NAPT, PAT, RAPT, RAT, NAT Overload). If you find a setting by that name, try disabling it. This should force standard NAT (OSI level 3 only).

I found a great site for information regarding settings and configurations on the BT Home Hub. (http://www.filesaveas.com/bthomehub.html)

FYI, it doesn't look like this hub uses NAPT! :)

Nice one - I'll look into that this week and see what I can find from the tech docs and setup.

Fingers crossed!