Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perhaps excessive moderation

2»

Comments

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Originally posted by Tarka

Lol Snarling, if you knew the thread in question, you'd know I wasn't "hijacking" it.  Secondly the second post that I detailed wasn't purely in response specifically to the original reason of the thread (though it was connected with it), that particular post was in response to the question "does anyone else think this game will be awesome".  In short my post was a correct response to his question and didn't flame him in any way.

And whilst one could argue that they are correct in their actions (in respect to the rules), sometimes you have to wonder if the moderators are just doing it "because they can".  Certain moderators don't use a certain degree of common sense when performing their duties. 

They don't get paid much, they have to read the crap people write all day long, and they have a set of rules to follow.

It's easy to criticize someone else doing their job just for doing their job. Like I said an infraction doesn't matter. I haven't used their forums as I don't care for the game in any way, but what is it 10-20 points gets you a couple day forum ban and each infraction was 1-2 points? Certainly nothing to care much about.

5 points gets you a 24 hour ban.  And when the mods are handing them out like sweets, then you can imagine how easy it is to reach that level ROFL.

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by testmyluck

You came to mmorpg.com to escape corrupt and overzealous moderation. L-O-L

This.

Originally posted by Talthanys

This.

Considering my start date on these forums and my reason for posting, "this" is far from accurate ;)

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I recently got a warning here for telling someone they should use Google...

Originally posted by Anubisan

I recently got a warning here for telling someone they should use Google...

Ouch. Lol.  Now THAT is definately excessive in my opinion image

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Talthanys

This.

Considering my start date on these forums and my reason for posting, "this" is far from accurate ;)

My point being, mmorpg.com is terribly heavy handed in their moderation. Your scuffle at SW:TOR forums is analogous to everyday mod practice here. While I wouldn't necessarily characterize it as corrupt, it is only consistent in its zeal.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'd agree that what you posted, wasn't exactly something for a mod to get their panties in a bunch over (IMO). However, that's my interpretation of the incident. What that mod thought of it, I can't say, but obviously they disagree with my assesment.

I don't know how you post over there, for all I know this could have been a last straw (to use a phrase).

In the end what you post is open to interpretation. Which is something I always keep in the back of my mind while posting on a private site. Which may be why I rarely get warnings and or infractions.

Maybe they viewed your second example as an attempt to derail the discussion in to a tor hate thread, who knows.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Could someone move this to the GW2 forumns , what this has to do with SWTOR i really do not know.

Originally posted by Isane

Could someone move this to the GW2 forumns , what this has to do with SWTOR i really do not know.

In that case, it maybe worth reading the OP again ;)

• endersshadowendersshadow Member Posts: 296

Originally posted by Wizardry

Before I saying anythng I would like to point out that I fully appreciate the fact that the site and forums over on SWTOR.com belong to Bioware, so in effect they can do what they like.

However, I'm starting to wonder if the mods over there are not being a little "over zealous" in their distribution of infractions.

For instance, someone tried to flippant with me yesterday by implying that the amount which I post indicates that perhaps I post a little too much.  My reply was thus:

"WoW, I AM honoured that someone is taking the time to go through my entire post history to subjectively mark down whether each and every one of my posts are "positive" or "negative".  And THEN take time to publish the results of such accurate assessment on here.

Many thanks.  Perhaps you should do the polls in future for Bioware :)"

Now for that, I got an infraction.  Does anyone else think that such an infraction was a little unnecessary?

Actually you were goated into your response,to which the other poster was not on topic and was more or less flaming/insulting you.That person SHOULD have been warned and your response should have been ignored,since it would have never happened if not for the other asshat.

Something VERY similiar happened here on MMORPG,one of the mods said something bad that was against the TOS here ,however he was actually goated into his response,so it should be looked at in a totally different manner.It actually takes common sense to understand what is going on,something that is often lacking.

Of course two wrongs never make it right,but i see no problem with your response,off topic yes,but it was a statement directed at you personally ,so you should have the right to respond.

HA, they dont care if you were goaded into saying something. What Ive been told is, basically if they were offensive, then you can report them. Ugh, dont get me started on this subject, I am not a fan of the heavy handed moderation on this site. I was called names recently because I started a post asking about a certain mmo. Thats what forums are for right? Anyways, the guy says, you are either a troll or an idiot. My response was, you just called me a troll or an idiot...whose the troll now? <--that got me a ban.

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

I don't think THAT deserved an infraction, but I'm glad there's finally a game that I'm interested in that has good moderation on their forums.  That being said, I don't even bother to go to those forums because too many of the people there act like complete idiots.

Originally posted by Unive

Before I saying anythng I would like to point out that I fully appreciate the fact that the site and forums over on SWTOR.com belong to Bioware, so in effect they can do what they like.

However, I'm starting to wonder if the mods over there are not being a little "over zealous" in their distribution of infractions.

For instance, someone tried to flippant with me yesterday by implying that the amount which I post indicates that perhaps I post a little too much.  My reply was thus:

"WoW, I AM honoured that someone is taking the time to go through my entire post history to subjectively mark down whether each and every one of my posts are "positive" or "negative".  And THEN take time to publish the results of such accurate assessment on here.

Many thanks.  Perhaps you should do the polls in future for Bioware :)"

Now for that, I got an infraction.  Does anyone else think that such an infraction was a little unnecessary?

The answer is yes, you are being passive aggressive and baiting the other guy into getting angry.

I.E. Trolling.

If you call that trolling, you are assuming.

You and I both know he meant that sarcastically. 

BUT how do you know for a FACT that the person isnt being completely serious. Maybe he is honored. How do you know? You and I dont and the mod didnt either.

If what is written can be taken in two different ways, then the mod shouldnt be able to say, well it sounded smart ass so, BAN.

Like if I said, "Thank you so much for your insightful post. What ever would I do without your well thought out responses?" 

Maybe I mean it, maybe I dont. But then again, maybe I do lol. No one can say but me.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by endersshadow

If what is written can be taken in two different ways, then the mod shouldnt be able to say, well it sounded smart ass so, BAN.

It wasn't a ban as the OP makes clear, it was an infraction. There's a world of difference.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by cyphers

Originally posted by endersshadow

It wasn't a ban as the OP makes clear, it was an infraction. There's a world of difference.

wtf Cyphers, are you following me lol

I just saw you on the other post!

So, uhm, close your eyes and count to 10...dont peak, YOU CANT FOLLOW!