Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is the perfect time for SOE to start giving Galaxies that one last chance.

Comments

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by exigentgamer
    they just need to roll it back to pre nge give every customer thats ever played a free month and i bet you swg would get revived just by the hard core fans, and drop the month price in half if not, just a f2p model.

I think they no longer even have that code to revert too. I remember reading that somewhere I think.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I really don't think people who would possibly dislike TOR on release will be looking at SWG first for a replacement activity.

This game isn't on the radar anymore due to its age and dwindling popularity and even with a big media campaign, it is unlikely that it would sufficiently impress prospective players.

TOR is also looking to bring a good deal of new players into the MMORPG genre, players who again, won't be turning to SWG first.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

I think it really is too late. If SOE would have given Galaxies the attention it deserved years ago instead of diverting all development resources into a covert redesign, the game would have been a worthy challenger to the Behemoth Who Shall Not Be Named. Typical SOE shortsightedness. The graphics are dated and the controls clunky. We'd put up with it then because the game was enjoyable and we naively believed that eventually things would be fixed. Only the diehards would bite. I think SOE realizes this and content themselves with riding a broken-down nag in preference to sitting down in the dirt and waiting for a limo.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

played SWG for it's good community it had before the jedimadness started.

The graphicsback then were already getting outdated, the code could not deal with larger numbers (lag) and the original game suffered severely because of the lack of content and bug fixes.

Nonetheless a lot of ppl created their own content or overlooked it (by going on a powergrind for months to unlock jedi).

I would say pre-NGE SWG is waaaay better then the very buggy NGE and post NGE version.

But to reconsider rejoining SWG if they would go pre-NGE?  No.

The management behind the game that made it fail are still there, not changed one bit and the original game can not attract new players because of it's poor performance it would show now. If SWG was kept Pre-NGE style it would be on life support by now anyway without a major graphical/content update because newr games have better engines.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by Muke

The graphicsback then were already getting outdated, the code could not deal with larger numbers (lag) and the original game suffered severely because of the lack of content and bug fixes.

SWG lagged in those days because Coronet, Corellia by itself had as high a population as most of NGE's current servers. NGE lags now because the engine simply can't support the sucky pseudo-FPS combat system laid on top of it.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Burntvet

Originally posted by sungodra

perfect time for galaxies to go free to play, if you ask me.

The main reason this will never happen, is that just about all of SOE's games are in equally bad shape population wise. Plus, they are "experimenting" with a new F2P model on EQ2 and mostly pissing people off in the process, because their cash shop/zone access fee structure stinks for the kind of game EQ2 is. SOE is not even smart/talented enough at this point, to successfully convert their games over to F2P + shop. How sad is that?

If SWG should go F2P, then so should everything else SOE has, thus essentially abandoning the station pass, which Smed would never do. Planetside and POTBS have numbers as low as SWG, maybe worse.

All of their various ships will continue sinking until they go under.

Well, I can't say whether or not it will ever happen, but they already do have MT's in SWG. If anyone is dumb enough to think that they don't ... what is TCG? It is a lottery based MT system. The worst of its kind.   It would be better off for the customers if the game went f2p so they would stop getting ripped off and more players would show up.

LOL their MT system is so bad , instead of you just buying the item you want , you have to buy a bunch of cards and hope you get it. Most of the time you never do, or you get some garbage.

Go f2p and  just keep the TCG system and they will do just fine.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

Originally posted by CasualMaker

Originally posted by Muke

SWG lagged in those days because Coronet, Corellia by itself had as high a population as most of NGE's current servers. NGE lags now because the engine simply can't support the sucky pseudo-FPS combat system laid on top of it.

No I think it has more to due with server resource allocation, they turn things down now, they might be using virtual servers, this is how I see them saving money on thier multiple games and servers.    Imagine it this way why have 15 physical servers when you can just have one with Vmware.    The down side is Vm server A has more need than Vm server B, the people on B get the short end of the stick.    

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

As much as I loved SWG, the time for it to get some lovin from SoE is long past.

The damage has been done and there are too many shiney new games on the horizon in addition to the current ones that are much better now.

Even if they rolled it back to pre-CU/NGE, I wouldn't go back for much more than a month I don't think.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• Shelby13Shelby13 Member Posts: 79

In reference to the original post topic...

A whole lot depends on what you are looking to do and if you are willing to invest a bit of time into the game.

A lot.. and I mean a LOT of old players simply cannot get past the past and find the fun in SWG no matter what I say or what the devs do... and even fully 'roleback' (not going to happen) wouldn't change that feeling of betrayal and anger.  For those who harbor those feelings.. justified or otherwise... the rest of my response is not going to matter much, might as well save yourself some time and find something else to read/do/discuss.

However, if you still want to be part of the SW community.. be around other players who enjoy playing in a SW environment.. and miss the feeling of owning your own house.. or city.. starships... and of course characters.. then SWG has improved a lot in the past four years.

Professions are much better balanced.. not perfect.. not flawless.. but there is a better dynamic between the profession and expertise choices that allows you to participate as you preferred profession in the vast majority of game content.. PvP or PvE.

Game missions/quests.. are in both single-part (legacy) and repeatable format.. or mixtures.   The biggest change is its not as hard as it used to be... and most rewards are now tradable so you can participate more casually yet still achieve (or trade) a pretty solid standard.  PvE is a touch easy.. if you have ALL the top-end gear anyway.. but still enjoyable and is continually getting a few small adjustments to re-invent content on existing assets.

GCW.. Galatic Civil War.. the PvP and PvE 'content' system has seen some steady improvements.. from ranking to leaderboards.. as well as Battlefields & City Invasions.. there are LOTS of ways to get involved in the GCW system and participate.. even as non-combatant like Entertainer and Crafter. 

GCW seems to be the primary 'backbone' focus of content development.. or more accurately system development.. to help give SWG something 'unique' to our timeline and game systems that will not be reproduced by SWTOR.. at least as best as I can guess anyway.   The GCW is now more visible.. carries more 'effect' on gameplay.. but its still entirely optional.

The 'bad' news about SWG is not that is dying or empty servers..

Lag.. has been challenging.. something that can affect gameplay quite badly in certain situations.  The devs are trying to resolve it.. I hope they get there.

Scope.. the dev team is a shadow if its former size.. HOWEVER.. they are way WAY more in touch with players and more hands-on in terms of making the game more fun to play by removing silly restrictions and maintaining a level of balance as best they can.

Lately.. the SWG Dev team has been on the right track... the best I've seen in years.  That will NOT be enough to win-over players still upset with previous game revisions.. but honestly SWG is not trying to win everyone back.. but just those who are able and willing to see the game for what it is.

A FUN Star Wars experience.

Not perfect.. not always.. not 24x7... but often enough to be worthwhile with a steady investment of time and with a good group of guild-mates to play Star Wars with.

SWG will never be in its 'glory' again.. that kind of fan-fare will be released on TOR soon enough.  Nope.. it won't roll-back.. won't go back to 32 sub-profession choices.. no Alpha-Class Jedi.. none of that will happen.

However, it will keep plucking along adding little bits on little bits.. tweaking what it has.. adding something here.. removing something there.. and the community will hopefully sustain this gem of a game for a good long time.

So far.. I have yet to see its replacement.   TOR is looking promising.. and I have a lot of faith in BIOWARE to make a good game.. but it will be different than Galaxies.... not a direct replacement.. or so I am guessing.

Come on out.. Try a City Invasion.. hang out with us.. we are still there.

DOUBLE XP weekend... so now is as good a time as any!

SWG/STO/(SWTOR)

Originally posted by Shelby13

Professions are much better balanced.. not perfect.. not flawless.. but there is a better dynamic between the profession and expertise choices that allows you to participate as you preferred profession in the vast majority of game content.. PvP or PvE.

SWG doesn't have professions any more, it has classes. An entirely different dynamic.

Lag.. has been challenging.. something that can affect gameplay quite badly in certain situations.  The devs are trying to resolve it.. I hope they get there.

I doubt they can fix the lag. That would require removing its source: the NGE combat system.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

SWG doesn't have professions any more, it has classes. An entirely different dynamic.

I doubt they can fix the lag. That would require removing its source: the NGE combat system.

Actually, they can. About 2 years ago Adept commented on ways to do it in the Private Senate forums. It had to do with minimizing AoE damage calculations, which are currently handled for EVERY attack by the servers, and either doing every other attack (or even 1/3) or moving some of the calculations to the client and just verifying them on occasion from the server. He finished by saying he simply wouldn't have time to look into it, but he seemed optimistic that it could be done...just time consuming and something he didn't have the ability to do at the time.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

A lot.. and I mean a LOT of old players simply cannot get past the past and find the fun in SWG no matter what I say or what the devs do... and even fully 'roleback' (not going to happen) wouldn't change that feeling of betrayal and anger.  For those who harbor those feelings.. justified or otherwise... the rest of my response is not going to matter much, might as well save yourself some time and find something else to read/do/discuss.

If swg was so much fun, then more people would play it.  Sure some people feel burned by soe, but that couldn't stop a great game from attracting new players with fun gameplay.  There are millions of new players who don't even know the history of the game.

The rest of your post really sums up how deep expectations need to be cut in order to find the fun.  No offense meant at all, but it is filled with example after example of problems, but if those are overlooked some fun can be found.  That isn't exact a ringing endorsement for a game nor a foundation to blame people for being unable to find the fun burried deep underneath all the issues.

I personally think many people see the fun that swg has to offer, but it is overshadowed by the volume of issues that need to be overlooked. 

Originally posted by TUX426

Actually, they can. About 2 years ago Adept commented on ways to do it in the Private Senate forums. It had to do with minimizing AoE damage calculations, which are currently handled for EVERY attack by the servers, and either doing every other attack (or even 1/3) or moving some of the calculations to the client and just verifying them on occasion from the server. He finished by saying he simply wouldn't have time to look into it, but he seemed optimistic that it could be done...just time consuming and something he didn't have the ability to do at the time.

Instead of ignoring a half to two thirds of what the combat system is doing, wouldn't it be simpler and better to put back the combat system that the game engine was designed to support in the first place?

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by Daffid011

If swg was so much fun, then more people would play it.  Sure some people feel burned by soe, but that couldn't stop a great game from attracting new players with fun gameplay.  There are millions of new players who don't even know the history of the game.

The rest of your post really sums up how deep expectations need to be cut in order to find the fun.  No offense meant at all, but it is filled with example after example of problems, but if those are overlooked some fun can be found.  That isn't exact a ringing endorsement for a game nor a foundation to blame people for being unable to find the fun burried deep underneath all the issues.

I personally think many people see the fun that swg has to offer, but it is overshadowed by the volume of issues that need to be overlooked. 

On top of that, they STILL charge the equivalent of the highest sub fee in the industry for a very much dated and sub-par experience.

About the only smart thing SOE could now for SWG, in order to get increased subs, is cut the monthly sub fee.

Were it cheaper, the boosters could at least say "Yeah, it sucks in places but it is at least cheaper." But they can't.

And you hit on the central truth the boosters can not escape: If SWG were any good, more people would play. It isn't, and they don't.

Instead of ignoring a half to two thirds of what the combat system is doing, wouldn't it be simpler and better to put back the combat system that the game engine was designed to support in the first place?

If it were MY call, yes. But that's never gonna happen...it's simply not "iconic" enough for their tastes or their current audience.

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

SWG had so much good going for it back in the day. Yeah there were problems but they had a passionate player base who enjoyed some key elements of the game that were there, player housing and crafting to name a few. Instead of really pushing the good bits the game had they decided to try and reinvent the wheel with a WOW template and it just didn't work. It didn't appeal to new players and really infuriated the existing ones.

The game also lacked any real direction in terms of development. Bugs that were there at launch were still lingering around many years later and it was down to the players to come up with any really meaningful content.

I think the only hope SWG has is if SOE sell it off. Hopefully to someone who is prepared to put the time, money and resources into the game that it truelly deserves.

No game is dead if someone is prepared to work on it and listen to the player base.

Originally posted by honoursword

The game also lacked any real direction in terms of development. Bugs that were there at launch were still lingering around many years later and it was down to the players to come up with any really meaningful content.

I think the only hope SWG has is if SOE sell it off. Hopefully to someone who is prepared to put the time, money and resources into the game that it truelly deserves.

No game is dead if someone is prepared to work on it and listen to the player base.

The lack of "direction" and the numerous bugs that plague the game were detrimental, but honestly, the company running the game (SoE) is the true reason for the failure of SWG. SWG was a game that could have lasted DECADES! It was THAT promising and the environments/lore is THAT powerful.

And sadly, even if SoE decided to sell SWG, who would buy it? Buying the rights to SWG means buying all the bugs, all the mistakes, all the half assed content that isn't even finished in most cases (Entertainer Chronicle Relics, Double socket bug) all the problems and all the years of neglect...without any real "boxes" to sell, what would motivate a company to invest into such a broken product without the return that box sales would add?

SoE has turned SWG into a $5 STEAM game...not some $49.99 title.

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

Originally posted by honoursword

The lack of "direction" and the numerous bugs that plague the game were detrimental, but honestly, the company running the game (SoE) is the true reason for the failure of SWG. SWG was a game that could have lasted DECADES! It was THAT promising and the environments/lore is THAT powerful.

And sadly, even if SoE decided to sell SWG, who would buy it? Buying the rights to SWG means buying all the bugs, all the mistakes, all the half assed content that isn't even finished in most cases (Entertainer Chronicle Relics, Double socket bug) all the problems and all the years of neglect...without any real "boxes" to sell, what would motivate a company to invest into such a broken product without the return that box sales would add?

SoE has turned SWG into a $5 STEAM game...not some $49.99 title.

I agree SOE has been one of the key reasons this game has been falling for sometime but I do still think it has some live in it yet. I also think that if SOE did ever sell SWG that whoever bought it would need to spend some serious money on getting it back on track. Whether that means relooking at the whole setup or (dare I say it) consider returning to the engine the game used pre-CU but with obvious upgrades, bug fixes and new content.

I also think there would need to be a massive reinvite to old players with perhaps the first month free. With a new developer and perhaps a return to a new (but similar to pre-CU) setup I think a lot of players would come back and give it a go. I am not under any illusion that it wont cost money but I think if it did happen and the changes they made where the right ones this game really could shine again and be quite profitable for someone.

• SauronasSauronas Member Posts: 183

I totally agree that swg needs a massive update.  You can't kill the idea of a sandbox star wars mmorpg though.  Star Wars is a license that can't be killed and remember, license agreements expire over time.  Turbine would have lost the lotr license last year if it didn't get put on the chopping block.  SWG isn't going anywhere.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

SWG times are over and when TOR starts, SWG will look like a large single player game with no players. If they havent changed anything by now they prolly wont.

No one cares about the old republic unless they're like 12.  Play the clone wars.  It's free and lame like episodes 1 2 & 3 :-P

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by Miffy

I mean it's clear that SWTOR isn't going to be anything that Galaxies offers. SOE needs to start getting work done to improving the graphics, making a new nicer looking UI with nicer animations and updated character models. Either adding the ability to jump or removing that stupid looking animation from the space bar so people don't laugh at it and leave like my friends.

Sorting the game out a little like making it nicer to navigate for new players. Right now they all get lost when they have to go to Kash and beyond and things like The village are a bit of a mess. It would be much nicer to just clean everything up and make it all fit into the world. Right now new content feels like it was just planted anywhere. Show off player housing and crafting and all that really early on, that is something that can really impress people. Everything just feels too lost, a mess and doesn't make any sense. 

Though what I really want is just the CU or Pre CU back on a server lol.

It is time for SOE to pull their finger out and make one last effort with this game in time for SWTOR. When people get bored of that game, don't forget they might be looking for another MMO and look at this game.  So getting it polished up so it can still compete is critical, don't just let it die.

SWG isn't going anywhere and it still offers people a hybrid themepark/sandbox model that allows people to do what they want and their is plenty of content plus many non-combat activites, however for me the TCG loot ruined the game for me leading me to quit and my former guild which all play EVE now. At this point they need the F2P model plus keeping their subs and they could also pull out the Pre-CU and CU code and put up those servers as well, to bring back fans of those iterations as well.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Open a new server.  That wil get me to resub even if I do not like the NGE, I want a brand new server with fresh resource starts for everyone.

That alone would make the game fun.  Imagine 4months before we could make certain things if resources don't spawn..insane and awesome!

Originally posted by kilun

Open a new server.  That wil get me to resub even if I do not like the NGE, I want a brand new server with fresh resource starts for everyone.

That alone would make the game fun.  Imagine 4months before we could make certain things if resources don't spawn..insane and awesome!

I agree.  If they merged every NA server in to starsider and then opened a brand new server, that new server would be a blast for a good while.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by kilun

I like what you are saying and it brings back fond memories, but it would only be a temporary bandaid.  It would not be long before things would get to the point they are now and if the current game isn't worth signing up for, why sign up knowing that the fun part will end.