Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

possible problem

cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

what would happen if we never fail a mission and we never  ever get the bad quests?

Comments

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

basicly i exspect Arenanet to have implemented monitoring tech, and use it to scale difficulties. Things that newer fails should simply be twisted to be harder.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by jondifool

basicly i exspect Arenanet to have implemented monitoring tech, and use it to scale difficulties. Things that newer fails should simply be twisted to be harder.

Now that would be a great implementation to a feature. The DE's will be exposed to different conditions made by number players/frequencies of triggers and success rates, it will be interesting to see how this evolved quest system handles all these extreme conditions.

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

I'm sure Anet has thought of everything. They have always maintained that fun is the highest priority for the game direction; monotonously succeeding would eventually become boring, so there will be some mechanism to correct the imbalance.

Other developers would simply do a balance update, but the folks at Anet are rather creative and like having fun as much as anyone else, so I wouldn't be surprised if something more were to be involved.

Complete off-hand speculation: the devs could be able to take control of event enemies in order to drive event outcomes more chaotically. I can just see it--Izzy taking control of the Shatterer, laughing maniacally as he rampages through an area.

• TbkrulezTbkrulez Member Posts: 42

dont worry they wont release the game until they have perfectly done with every basic features.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Originally posted by cloud8521

what would happen if we never fail a mission and we never  ever get the bad quests?

Start the event when no other players are around to help, AFK during the event, go make a sandwich, come back to be treated to the new event and sandwich to boot!  Now that's innovation!  Delicious innovation.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Players will need to be everywhere everytime ALL the time in order to not fail an event which I don't think is possible. The world is HUUUUGE!! Not many people will be able to handle the waves of enemies coming into an event and they did say they made the demo easier than the game itself will be. Even in the demo people were getting downed by the low level monsters in the events, I expect this to be the case in the final game.

This is not a game.

• DarkResinDarkResin Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by twrule

Start the event when no other players are around to help, AFK during the event, go make a sandwich, come back to be treated to the new event and sandwich to boot!  Now that's innovation!  Delicious innovation.

It doesn't work like that.  You need to be actively participating in the event to gain exp or loot.  In that situation you would only be left with a sandwich of bitter regret for not partaking of the event >:O.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The world could change dramatically overnight when most players are sleeping....  I think it would be fair if PC's have atleast a 70% winchance on most fights.....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DarkResinDarkResin Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The world could change dramatically overnight when most players are sleeping....  I think it would be fair if PC's have atleast a 70% winchance on most fights.....

Yeah, that would probably make sense.  I can imagine people logging for the night in a seemingly safe town then logging in the next day to a screen full of angry centaurs...  An amusing image to say the least :D.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by DarkResin

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Yeah, that would probably make sense.  I can imagine people logging for the night in a seemingly safe town then logging in the next day to a screen full of angry centaurs...  An amusing image to say the least :D.

Lol! heh, I guess it pays to find a safe spot before logging in GW2.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• rbc13183rbc13183 Member Posts: 208

Note to self: Never log out in an event location.

"Everyone dies. It is how one lives that matters."
    — Artemis Entreri (R.A. Salvatore)

"P.S. MAKE NO DEALS WITH THE WOLF." -Durzo Blint-

"But, there is one they fear.

In their tongue, he is Dovahkiin -- Dragonborn!" -Game of the Century-

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438

The demo difficulty was TONED DOWN so they can show the game without giving people to much hassle. However, if the mornal difficulty for these things still not high enough, then dungeons are supposed to be very hard.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Another problem:

When a game releases, normally a big wave of players goes through the content. If you log into the game some time later in a bad moment, then all events in your range might be done. So actually the Devs have to make some standard Public Quests with a short cooldown timer, around release at least. Well... some standard quests are also there, as mentioned in one of the videos. Seems it cannot work without at least a small amount.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

Originally posted by Herodes

Another problem:

When a game releases, normally a big wave of players goes through the content. If you log into the game some time later in a bad moment, then all events in your range might be done. So actually the Devs have to make some standard Public Quests with a short cooldown timer, around release at least. Well... some standard quests are also there, as mentioned in one of the videos. Seems it cannot work without at least a small amount.

that does not matter, each event moves into anouther quest. there should never be a time where there is never a event going on

• OmgZombiesOmgZombies Member Posts: 141

I'm worried about griefing, imagine a whole guild that's already beaten everything, coming back to the starter area (about 20+ of them) and just standing in events.  This will scale the difficulty up, and since they're not helping, other new players will be unable to complete the objectives, resulting in an instant fail.

Hopefully they thought ahead with this type of stuff.

Originally posted by OmgZombies

I'm worried about griefing, imagine a whole guild that's already beaten everything, coming back to the starter area (about 20+ of them) and just standing in events.  This will scale the difficulty up, and since they're not helping, other new players will be unable to complete the objectives, resulting in an instant fail.

Hopefully they thought ahead with this type of stuff.

and they have, it wont scale unless you are active in the event, they already covered this

It doesn't work like that.  You need to be actively participating in the event to gain exp or loot.  In that situation you would only be left with a sandwich of bitter regret for not partaking of the event >:O.

I was just giving a suggestion on how the event might be triggered and failed to see how that route went, not saying he was going to get any reward for it :p.

I was just giving a suggestion on how the event might be triggered and failed to see how that route went, not saying he was going to get any reward for it :p.

still does not work like that, since it wont scale unless you are active.

So toss a few spells out and fail.  Work with me here, people.

still would not work, they alreay stated that wont make it scale enough.

I don't know what you're talking about now - clarify please?  "Scale enough?"  I'm talking about 1 person soloing an event and failing it on purpose.

I don't know what you're talking about now - clarify please?  "Scale enough?"  I'm talking about 1 person soloing an event and failing it on purpose.

good luck having a point where you will be able to solo the event

• rbc13183rbc13183 Member Posts: 208

While I'm sure that it will be difficult to solo events in the more populated areas, every MMO has areas that are more scarce than others, so I'm sure you can try to solo some events there. However, I don't think that this will be possible with every MMO, because all it takes is one dude in the area to hear about whats going on and head on over there. Not that it will suck to have him around, but it will destroy your soloing plans.

"Everyone dies. It is how one lives that matters."
    — Artemis Entreri (R.A. Salvatore)

"P.S. MAKE NO DEALS WITH THE WOLF." -Durzo Blint-

"But, there is one they fear.

In their tongue, he is Dovahkiin -- Dragonborn!" -Game of the Century-

I don't think it's that far fetched if you're in a remote part of the world, or it's in the middle of the night, or later in the life of the game where not as many people are around doing those events.  It'll scale down in difficulty to just you, as they said.

I don't think it's that far fetched if you're in a remote part of the world, or it's in the middle of the night, or later in the life of the game where not as many people are around doing those events.  It'll scale down in difficulty to just you, as they said.

alot of those events will start anyway, so you would not have to start them yourself accually