Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Come Play Star Trek Online!

Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233

So, as an alternative viewpoint to the "Don't play" thread I'm going to take the other viewpoint (and hope some others will join me) to put across why you might want to play STO. I know I do - I'm a Lifetime Subscriber and still enjoying the game!

Please, if you want to say why people shouldn't play the game, go do it over in the other thread.

So, on we go...


  1. It's Star Trek - If you're a Trek fan, you'll find familiar races, familiar ships and audio from your fave Star Trek show here in Star Trek Online. Walk around DS9, hear the whoosh of the turbolift doors on your starship, the blast of phasers and the pulse of photon torpedoes being fired!

  2. It's Two Games in One - A game of two halves. Not only do you have the space combat flying around in your ship but you also get to go on away missions and run around battling foes, or resolving conflict without bloodshed.

  3. Design a Starship - You get to design your own starship/warbird. Choose from a selection of parts, colours and designs. Go with an iconic starship class, or make something new.

  4. Cryptic Customisation - Cryptic games are almost unsuppassed for character customisation (see City of Heroes, Champions Online). Be a previously unknown Alien race and let your creativity flow!

  5. Expanding World - Level cap has already been raised, new missions have been and are being added (as well as entirely new mission types) and we're only six months in

At the end of the day, on this forum there are some of us posting trial keys. Try the game out and see if you like it - if you do buy a boxed copy/digital key and stick around for a bit and see if you like it longterm!


 


Anyoe else care to add their good points?

--
Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
@Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

«134567

Comments

  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

    Originally posted by Zap-Robo

    So, as an alternative viewpoint to the "Don't play" thread I'm going to take the other viewpoint (and hope some others will join me) to put across why you might want to play STO. I know I do - I'm a Lifetime Subscriber and still enjoying the game!

    Please, if you want to say why people shouldn't play the game, go do it over in the other thread.

    So, on we go...


    1. It's Star Trek - If you're a Trek fan, you'll find familiar races, familiar ships and audio from your fave Star Trek show here in Star Trek Online. Walk around DS9, hear the whoosh of the turbolift doors on your starship, the blast of phasers and the pulse of photon torpedoes being fired!

    2. It's Two Games in One - A game of two halves. Not only do you have the space combat flying around in your ship but you also get to go on away missions and run around battling foes, or resolving conflict without bloodshed.

    3. Design a Starship - You get to design your own starship/warbird. Choose from a selection of parts, colours and designs. Go with an iconic starship class, or make something new.

    4. Cryptic Customisation - Cryptic games are almost unsuppassed for character customisation (see City of Heroes, Champions Online). Be a previously unknown Alien race and let your creativity flow!

    5. Expanding World - Level cap has already been raised, new missions have been and are being added (as well as entirely new mission types) and we're only six months in

    At the end of the day, on this forum there are some of us posting trial keys. Try the game out and see if you like it - if you do buy a boxed copy/digital key and stick around for a bit and see if you like it longterm!


     


    Anyoe else care to add their good points?

     While I applaud your effort (  and honesty ) to recruit people to not only your fleet , but this game . I must point out a few things .  In red. 

    Firstly your so far in you've no choice in the matter , while you still enjoy it , that's great  .  You've invest far to much , and are more concerned about your investment having some meaning .

    Two games really ? There are two aspects to combat game play ,but in the end the game is the same , the controls are identical and the results usually end up the same. Diplomacy still bugged , so that you can't progress , or did they fix that ? Pressing F still ? Does it boil down to multiple choice questions at the end ?  What's the end game of diplomacy ?

    You don't get to design a ship , you get to assemble the ship from pre-made pieces that Cryptic has determined .  Precisely 3 for each of 3 parts of the ship , example 3 saucer designs, 3 nacelle designs, 3 body . That's 9 varible designs. Colors are restricted to 2 hull colors , and the variablity applies to minor details.  It's not really new designs . Cryptic has made new classes and varied some of the art work , but ulitmately your design is not that individualized , as you 'd like to think. The math means that the chances of running across you design are 1 in 27. How's the variablity in the Klingon faction ?  Iconic ship designs are for the most C-store purchases. ( Warbirds fyi generally implies Romulans )

    Have they added any new zones to the game ?  Rephrase that to expanding storyline for more acceptance.

    I don't mind the attempt , but it needs to be a bit more factually correct, certain degree of ambigutiy.   In closing I'd hold on to my cash at this point until it goes F2P , which isn't far off.

    image
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

    No thanks, not even if you paid my sub.

    "Come and have a look at what you could have won."

  • SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

    They completely butchered anything to do with the ST lore.


    Most ST fans hate this as a ST game.

    image
    March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

  • SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,185

    I like number two. I'm hoping Cryptic looking into ground combat yields good things.

    I also like the difficulty slider now. I think it makes battles a bit more of a challenge.

    .. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

    --------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

  • grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

    Just to correct point 1.  It may have a Star Trek (ish) skin, but it is not Star Trek.  Cryptic have broken canon way to much.  They can't even get the basics right, e.g. what Starbase-1 actually looks like.

     

    They are now planning to add the Enterprise J to the c-store, which isn't even built for another 100-200 years from the time frame its set in.  Not only that but the thing is 2 miles long, or at least should be.   They are also adding the Enterprise NX.  So expect whenever (if ever) they add ground vechicles for them to include the Model T Ford.  Apparently Vulcan, Andorians, etc are also their own fraction, as they to are getting their own ships.

     

    To even suggest STO has deep customisation, as they have with CO is insulting to the CO team.  STO has less customisation than quite a few games that are around these days.

     

    As for the final point.  They may have raised the level cap, but they didn't add the content to reach it.  You have to grind most of the increase.  Creating a few new dots for three one off missions isn't exactly expanding the depth of the game.

     

    To Cryptic STO is not Star Trek, its a means of money grabbing from fans of the various series'.  If canon gets in the way of that, they simply ignore it.

  • raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

    thank you for the honest post about what sto does offer. but no thank you, the games not worth the box price let alone a sub.

    IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

  • PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

    I picked up a copy of the game and played for a bit. To me it was a nice distraction but honestly couldnt hold my attention  even for the free month. I may at some point try it again and agree that they are working steadily on the game. Being without an MMO myself at this time im truly glad that OP has a game he enjoys.

    WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

  • ScrogdogScrogdog Member Posts: 380

    Everyone is going to have a different idea of what's good for the game.  I have to tell you that some of the things that people are saying break immersion kinda stun me.

     

    There's a topic on the forums right now that is many pages long about how the devs to chose to say "left" and "right" ratrher than "port" and "starboard".  There's another that talks about how one of your officers says "the ship is under attack" when in fact you attacked first.

     

    Now, I don't mean to marginilize anyone's opinion, but truthfully I was like "that breaks immersion for you? Really? Seriously?"

     

    I'm not sure how successful an MMO based on one era would be anyhow.  It's already a niche game.  You are limiting your audience even further by making it all about a single era.

     

    I do get the argument overall though.  I got the game at Gamespot so I got the free Connie, and my single C-Store purchase was TOS uniforms.  I no longer use them because everything around me is so TNG-like that I felt out of place.  So now, I wear the TNG movie uniforms.

     

    Point is, even though they didn't cater to my favorite version of Star Trek, TOS, I can still play.

     

    Everyone's different.  Although, I have to admit some dismay over those who like to define how the Star Trek fanbase as a whole feels.  Like the person above who said something like "most Star Trek fans feel that..."  Uh no, sorry... that's how YOU feel.

     

    Unless you are aware of some study that I am not, please just say that you have no idea if you really don't. Because you really don't!

     

    Then, of course, you have those who complain that it feels like an SP game, then in the next breath they complain about what other players want! image image

  • dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 412

    Originally posted by Zap-Robo

    So, as an alternative viewpoint to the "Don't play" thread I'm going to take the other viewpoint (and hope some others will join me) to put across why you might want to play STO. I know I do - I'm a Lifetime Subscriber and still enjoying the game!

    Please, if you want to say why people shouldn't play the game, go do it over in the other thread.

    So, on we go...


    1. It's Star Trek - If you're a Trek fan, you'll find familiar races, familiar ships and audio from your fave Star Trek show here in Star Trek Online. Walk around DS9, hear the whoosh of the turbolift doors on your starship, the blast of phasers and the pulse of photon torpedoes being fired! It Star Trek-ish. The IP was much more about personal interaction and story that this game is now or ever will be.

    2. It's Two Games in One - A game of two halves. Not only do you have the space combat flying around in your ship but you also get to go on away missions and run around battling foes, or resolving conflict without bloodshed. Two halves, not one unified game. It is disjointed and not very cohesive.

    3. Design a Starship - You get to design your own starship/warbird. Choose from a selection of parts, colours and designs. Go with an iconic starship class, or make something new. A nice one time operation. Whereas in EVE, for example, you can fit, re-fit and continually rebuild your ships via modules. You can build a ship for PVP or for transport or for missions or for hacking or for salvaging all in the same body type, although some not as effective as others.

    4. Cryptic Customisation - Cryptic games are almost unsuppassed for character customisation (see City of Heroes, Champions Online). Be a previously unknown Alien race and let your creativity flow!

    5. Expanding World - Level cap has already been raised, new missions have been and are being added (as well as entirely new mission types) and we're only six months in Again, a nice one time operation. After the character loading creation screen (which is how much of your game time . . . 1%) its over with.

    At the end of the day, on this forum there are some of us posting trial keys. Try the game out and see if you like it - if you do buy a boxed copy/digital key and stick around for a bit and see if you like it longterm!


     


    Anyoe else care to add their good points?

     Comments posted.

    Can seeing playing this game as the IP has been butchered and the game has been horribly gimped. One faction at release?! wth. Maybe in another year this game will be ready for release.

    Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

    Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

  • Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233

    Well, I knew trying to start a STO positive thread on MMORPG.com was a long shot, thought everyone could keep the positive in one thread, negative in another and allow people to compare and contrast the two.

    I truly recommend that people come to their own conclusions about any game and not believe the hype or hatred.

    I'm not claiming that Cryptic have made a perfect game, and yes, I know the general community here seems to be one of outright hostility to the product that they've put out into the market. But... it's here, and you know what? I find it fun despite it's flaws!

    Some of the negativity here I agree with, some I think is over-reaction, and some I reckon that the poster had their kittens murdered by Cryptic employees.

    Thanks for taking what was hoped to be a constructive post and turn it into yet another whinefest! /flameon

    --
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

  • raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

    Originally posted by Zap-Robo

    Well, I knew trying to start a STO positive thread on MMORPG.com was a long shot, thought everyone could keep the positive in one thread, negative in another and allow people to compare and contrast the two.

    I truly recommend that people come to their own conclusions about any game and not believe the hype or hatred.

    I'm not claiming that Cryptic have made a perfect game, and yes, I know the general community here seems to be one of outright hostility to the product that they've put out into the market. But... it's here, and you know what? I find it fun despite it's flaws!

    Some of the negativity here I agree with, some I think is over-reaction, and some I reckon that the poster had their kittens murdered by Cryptic employees.

    Thanks for taking what was hoped to be a constructive post and turn it into yet another whinefest! /flameon

     wow you just went from an honest post about sto, pushing some of the good things about it..... to

    THEY ARE ALL HATERS!!! DONT BELEIVE THEM!!!....

    in a hurry didnt you.

    please try posting some of the positive things about sto, rather than attacking others. i think you will have better results that way.

    (i will mention though that if you post "positive things" about sto, if they are not accurate you will get called on it) 

    IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

  • Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

    Originally posted by Zap-Robo

    So, as an alternative viewpoint to the "Don't play" thread I'm going to take the other viewpoint (and hope some others will join me) to put across why you might want to play STO. I know I do - I'm a Lifetime Subscriber and still enjoying the game!

    Please, if you want to say why people shouldn't play the game, go do it over in the other thread.

    So, on we go...


    1. It's Star Trek - If you're a Trek fan, you'll find familiar races, familiar ships and audio from your fave Star Trek show here in Star Trek Online. Walk around DS9, hear the whoosh of the turbolift doors on your starship, the blast of phasers and the pulse of photon torpedoes being fired!

    2. It's Two Games in One - A game of two halves. Not only do you have the space combat flying around in your ship but you also get to go on away missions and run around battling foes, or resolving conflict without bloodshed.

    3. Design a Starship - You get to design your own starship/warbird. Choose from a selection of parts, colours and designs. Go with an iconic starship class, or make something new.

    4. Cryptic Customisation - Cryptic games are almost unsuppassed for character customisation (see City of Heroes, Champions Online). Be a previously unknown Alien race and let your creativity flow!

    5. Expanding World - Level cap has already been raised, new missions have been and are being added (as well as entirely new mission types) and we're only six months in

    At the end of the day, on this forum there are some of us posting trial keys. Try the game out and see if you like it - if you do buy a boxed copy/digital key and stick around for a bit and see if you like it longterm!


     


    Anyoe else care to add their good points?

    1) No, no it isn't Star Trek. It's a Cryptic-style sci-fi shoot-em-up with a Star Trek skin. Anyone who thinks this is anything even remotely like Star Trek needs their head examined.

    2) It's more like two one third of a game in one. Together the space game and the ground game only equal two thirds a game at most.

    3) Design an ugly star ship that doesn't look anyth8ing like Star Trek at all.

    4) More like "Cryptic craptimization." Pretty soon you'll have to buy what you want from the C-Store, cause that's where all the new costume packs and bridge packs are going.

    5) Wow! Stuff that should been in at launch! Actually, there is no world. Shoebox sized instances, inability to beam down to most iconic planets, really crappy astrometrics display, the game "world" is nothing but fail.

  • Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

    Originally posted by Scrogdog

    Everyone is going to have a different idea of what's good for the game.  I have to tell you that some of the things that people are saying break immersion kinda stun me.

     

    There's a topic on the forums right now that is many pages long about how the devs to chose to say "left" and "right" ratrher than "port" and "starboard".  There's another that talks about how one of your officers says "the ship is under attack" when in fact you attacked first.

     

    Now, I don't mean to marginilize anyone's opinion, but truthfully I was like "that breaks immersion for you? Really? Seriously?"

     

    I'm not sure how successful an MMO based on one era would be anyhow.  It's already a niche game.  You are limiting your audience even further by making it all about a single era.

     

    I do get the argument overall though.  I got the game at Gamespot so I got the free Connie, and my single C-Store purchase was TOS uniforms.  I no longer use them because everything around me is so TNG-like that I felt out of place.  So now, I wear the TNG movie uniforms.

     

    Point is, even though they didn't cater to my favorite version of Star Trek, TOS, I can still play.

     

    Everyone's different.  Although, I have to admit some dismay over those who like to define how the Star Trek fanbase as a whole feels.  Like the person above who said something like "most Star Trek fans feel that..."  Uh no, sorry... that's how YOU feel.

     

    Unless you are aware of some study that I am not, please just say that you have no idea if you really don't. Because you really don't!

     

    Then, of course, you have those who complain that it feels like an SP game, then in the next breath they complain about what other players want! image image

    The "left" and "right" thing do break immersion for me. They do because I've watched almost every minute of Star Trek out there (I think I've missed a few Voyager eps, no big loss though) and they never, ever refer to the port side of the ship as "left," or the starboard side of the ship as "right."

    It not only breaks immersion, it's very much against canon. They changed it to this because a few people complained in beta that they didn't know what port and starboard were.

  • gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

    Originally posted by raistalin69

    Originally posted by Zap-Robo

    Well, I knew trying to start a STO positive thread on MMORPG.com was a long shot, thought everyone could keep the positive in one thread, negative in another and allow people to compare and contrast the two.

    I truly recommend that people come to their own conclusions about any game and not believe the hype or hatred.

    I'm not claiming that Cryptic have made a perfect game, and yes, I know the general community here seems to be one of outright hostility to the product that they've put out into the market. But... it's here, and you know what? I find it fun despite it's flaws!

    Some of the negativity here I agree with, some I think is over-reaction, and some I reckon that the poster had their kittens murdered by Cryptic employees.

    Thanks for taking what was hoped to be a constructive post and turn it into yet another whinefest! /flameon

     wow you just went from an honest post about sto, pushing some of the good things about it..... to

    THEY ARE ALL HATERS!!! DONT BELEIVE THEM!!!....

    in a hurry didnt you.

    please try posting some of the positive things about sto, rather than attacking others. i think you will have better results that way.

    (i will mention though that if you post "positive things" about sto, if they are not accurate you will get called on it) 

    I don't find any problem on the statement, basically says to draw conclusions based on personal experience rather than others opinions. The problem with hype or hatred is that is usually based on the assumption that everybody likes/hates the same things. I don't like STO and Eve but I like CoH and CO. I also like some f2p that most people of this site would say they are garbage. I think 'objective observations' should be the way to give information, taking away emotionality, without fanboysm or hatred.

  • saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

    Originally posted by Zap-Robo

    Well, I knew trying to start a STO positive thread on MMORPG.com was a long shot, thought everyone could keep the positive in one thread, negative in another and allow people to compare and contrast the two.

    I truly recommend that people come to their own conclusions about any game and not believe the hype or hatred.

    I'm not claiming that Cryptic have made a perfect game, and yes, I know the general community here seems to be one of outright hostility to the product that they've put out into the market. But... it's here, and you know what? I find it fun despite it's flaws!

    Some of the negativity here I agree with, some I think is over-reaction, and some I reckon that the poster had their kittens murdered by Cryptic employees.

    Thanks for taking what was hoped to be a constructive post and turn it into yet another whinefest! /flameon

    The perfect internet would be one in which we all agree with you and only talk about what you want to talk about!

     

    I find most of the posts in this thread to be intellectually honest and good feedback on Cryptic's product.

     

    RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

  • LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 258

    Originally posted by Philby

    I picked up a copy of the game and played for a bit. To me it was a nice distraction but honestly couldnt hold my attention  even for the free month. I may at some point try it again and agree that they are working steadily on the game. Being without an MMO myself at this time im truly glad that OP has a game he enjoys.

    ^ /agree

     

    I loved the character creation and the graphics are beautiful, hell even the on foot combat was pretty cool, but the space combat, Oh man the space combat. I was so excited about an MMO where I could be a person, and also blast through space in my ship, but the space mechanics really made me sad.

    Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

  • Dragon71UKDragon71UK Member Posts: 86

    With regards to no.5





    They did not raise the cap, it was always planned from start to be 51. They actually removed those levels before launch.

    So not really expanding, just adding what was taken.

    Played WOW (5 years), AOC, AO, EQ2,AC2, Horizons, Saga of Ryzom, SWG, CO, STO(Beta),ROM, Allods, and many other F2P titles. Asl been in beta for many of the main titles and played countless SP games. I have been gaming for 15+ years!

  • Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 673

    No thanks , with all the MMO's comming in the near future why waste money on this garbage !!!

     

    It wont be hard for one of the AAA titles comming out to be better then this, in fact lego online will prob kick this games ass in fun factor.

     

  • raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

    Originally posted by gandales

    Originally posted by raistalin69

    Originally posted by Zap-Robo

    Well, I knew trying to start a STO positive thread on MMORPG.com was a long shot, thought everyone could keep the positive in one thread, negative in another and allow people to compare and contrast the two.

    I truly recommend that people come to their own conclusions about any game and not believe the hype or hatred.

    I'm not claiming that Cryptic have made a perfect game, and yes, I know the general community here seems to be one of outright hostility to the product that they've put out into the market. But... it's here, and you know what? I find it fun despite it's flaws!

    Some of the negativity here I agree with, some I think is over-reaction, and some I reckon that the poster had their kittens murdered by Cryptic employees.

    Thanks for taking what was hoped to be a constructive post and turn it into yet another whinefest! /flameon

     wow you just went from an honest post about sto, pushing some of the good things about it..... to

    THEY ARE ALL HATERS!!! DONT BELEIVE THEM!!!....

    in a hurry didnt you.

    please try posting some of the positive things about sto, rather than attacking others. i think you will have better results that way.

    (i will mention though that if you post "positive things" about sto, if they are not accurate you will get called on it) 

    I don't find any problem on the statement, basically says to draw conclusions based on personal experience rather than others opinions. The problem with hype or hatred is that is usually based on the assumption that everybody likes/hates the same things. I don't like STO and Eve but I like CoH and CO. I also like some f2p that most people of this site would say they are garbage. I think 'objective observations' should be the way to give information, taking away emotionality, without fanboysm or hatred.

     really? so the line after the one  higlighted isnt biased?

    , I know the general community here seems to be one of outright hostility to the product that they've put out into the market

    that statement portrays the legitimate criticism sto has taken on this site as biased. that is untrue, sto has earned the criticism its gets here and elsewhere (including its own forums). this statement portrays the criticism here as being unusual, when its the norm for sto. sto has had bad reviews from everywhere, this site included.

    im not saying that people should not make up their own minds, but saying or implying that the criticism of sto on this site is anything but normal is misleading if not an outright lie.

    whatever game youve moved on to at this point (if your not playing sto) log in and ask in the general chat what people think of sto, i have, i dont think ive seen any positive feedback besides "it has decent graphics"

    IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

  • VypreVypre Member Posts: 180

    I personally didn’t fnd much redeeming value in STO, and nor did most mmorpg enthusiasts.  


     


    I found the game to amount to a shallow third-person space shooter that lacks much of the staples of mainstream mmorpgs.


     


    - There doesn't seem to be much respect for the Star Trek IP, at all.


     


    - Space is space-less. Each map is nothing more than a confining shoe-box, a small space of nothing to interact with.  And expansions will included more shoe-boxes for limited players and private instances, to the extent that the game is a single-player game; for $15/month not for me.


     


    - There is no game-play freedom of exploration. No exploration to other planets or discovery; again, your confined to your shoe-box instance. There's nothing dynamically to do in this game that would be reminiscent of Star Trek.


     


    - If you do see a planet on an instanced map, there is no "away-team" capability to freely explore its surface. Its nothing more than a static inactive marble that you bounce off of in your confined instance.


     


    - Space flight is confining and lacks freedom. There's a limited z-axis that prevents looping or gaining weapons locks on ships that are above or below, yet in front of you in many cases. It just adds to the unnecessary maneuvering of your ship.


     


    - Space is life-less, other than the instance nodes that you bump into to enter for a ship pve encounter, as I said before, the game is essentially a single-player lobby system game that your forced to pay $15 a month for. If you see an opposing faction player on a system map, there is absolutely no engagement.


     


    - Massively-multiplayer content was sorely lacking to the point where very very early on in this game, the 'instanced' pve quests are nothing more than similar repeatable maps and mobs of previous quests done; the static nature of pve and its' redundancy is astounding.


     


    - Quest copywriting seems very week that leads to weak story engagement or sense of draw that your actually contributing to a story-arc or meaningfully contributing to federation or klingon game-play.


     


    - Space and ground game-play combat presented the most limiting, redundant, Quake 3rd-person shooter type feel of any game in the mmorpg market; its shallow to me.


     


    - There is no physics to ground combat as there is no physics to space combat that factor into game-play.


     


    - Ground and Space pvp combat amounts to a frag-fest of limited players and non-tactical or strategic importance in any respect to story or game-play in this faction vs. faction environment.


     


    - Like a 3rd-person or first-person shooter, the player-vs-player stuff is without any game-play contributory value, other than winning a small confining map, it amounts to run, gun, die, or run,gun, win, limp, die. But your rewarded as much for being a loser as a winner; no mmoprg game-play distinction. I haven’t found the game-play nutrition in this yet.


     


    - There is no reasonable complimentary opposite to winning. You win in space and on ground, you get a battery or such (a weak reward), you lose on space or on ground, you miraculously reappear next to the fight to battle like a button mashing mindless drone without consequences again. Lack of consequences to death has turned this title into a series of suicide runs for the same exact reward I get for battling tactically and strategically. The grossly equivalent rewards for those that die often was enough to leave this game behind for me.


     


    - The community (massively multiplayer) element of this mmorpg is very fragmented (as opposed to expanded and cooperative) due to the great number of single-player feel instances. Community feels fragmented to one of those several small instanced zones that does nothing to encourage the feel of massively multiplayer entertainment.


     


    - No alternative industry, aka, no resource gathering towards community crafting, enterprise, or merchandising elements for the federation or klingons. Would be nice if this mmorpg staple were available to players, rather than being non-existant.


     


    I passed.

    Striving for Silver Stars since Gold is so effeminate.

  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

    OP, what activities does your endgame consist of?

    I'm curious and would like to hear the answer from a Lifer.

  • Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880

    Originally posted by Vypre


    I personally didn’t fnd much redeeming value in STO, and nor did most mmorpg enthusiasts.  


     


    I found the game to amount to a shallow third-person space shooter that lacks much of the staples of mainstream mmorpgs.


     


    - There doesn't seem to be much respect for the Star Trek IP, at all.


     


    - Space is space-less. Each map is nothing more than a confining shoe-box, a small space of nothing to interact with.  And expansions will included more shoe-boxes for limited players and private instances, to the extent that the game is a single-player game; for $15/month not for me.


     


    - There is no game-play freedom of exploration. No exploration to other planets or discovery; again, your confined to your shoe-box instance. There's nothing dynamically to do in this game that would be reminiscent of Star Trek.


     


    - If you do see a planet on an instanced map, there is no "away-team" capability to freely explore its surface. Its nothing more than a static inactive marble that you bounce off of in your confined instance.


     


    - Space flight is confining and lacks freedom. There's a limited z-axis that prevents looping or gaining weapons locks on ships that are above or below, yet in front of you in many cases. It just adds to the unnecessary maneuvering of your ship.


     


    - Space is life-less, other than the instance nodes that you bump into to enter for a ship pve encounter, as I said before, the game is essentially a single-player lobby system game that your forced to pay $15 a month for. If you see an opposing faction player on a system map, there is absolutely no engagement.


     


    - Massively-multiplayer content was sorely lacking to the point where very very early on in this game, the 'instanced' pve quests are nothing more than similar repeatable maps and mobs of previous quests done; the static nature of pve and its' redundancy is astounding.


     


    - Quest copywriting seems very week that leads to weak story engagement or sense of draw that your actually contributing to a story-arc or meaningfully contributing to federation or klingon game-play.


     


    - Space and ground game-play combat presented the most limiting, redundant, Quake 3rd-person shooter type feel of any game in the mmorpg market; its shallow to me.


     


    - There is no physics to ground combat as there is no physics to space combat that factor into game-play.


     


    - Ground and Space pvp combat amounts to a frag-fest of limited players and non-tactical or strategic importance in any respect to story or game-play in this faction vs. faction environment.


     


    - Like a 3rd-person or first-person shooter, the player-vs-player stuff is without any game-play contributory value, other than winning a small confining map, it amounts to run, gun, die, or run,gun, win, limp, die. But your rewarded as much for being a loser as a winner; no mmoprg game-play distinction. I haven’t found the game-play nutrition in this yet.


     


    - There is no reasonable complimentary opposite to winning. You win in space and on ground, you get a battery or such (a weak reward), you lose on space or on ground, you miraculously reappear next to the fight to battle like a button mashing mindless drone without consequences again. Lack of consequences to death has turned this title into a series of suicide runs for the same exact reward I get for battling tactically and strategically. The grossly equivalent rewards for those that die often was enough to leave this game behind for me.


     


    - The community (massively multiplayer) element of this mmorpg is very fragmented (as opposed to expanded and cooperative) due to the great number of single-player feel instances. Community feels fragmented to one of those several small instanced zones that does nothing to encourage the feel of massively multiplayer entertainment.


     


    - No alternative industry, aka, no resource gathering towards community crafting, enterprise, or merchandising elements for the federation or klingons. Would be nice if this mmorpg staple were available to players, rather than being non-existant.


     


    I passed.

    Bingo Cryptic should use this list of things to fix.

  • gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

    Originally posted by raistalin69

    Originally posted by gandales


    Originally posted by raistalin69


    Originally posted by Zap-Robo

    Well, I knew trying to start a STO positive thread on MMORPG.com was a long shot, thought everyone could keep the positive in one thread, negative in another and allow people to compare and contrast the two.

    I truly recommend that people come to their own conclusions about any game and not believe the hype or hatred.

    I'm not claiming that Cryptic have made a perfect game, and yes, I know the general community here seems to be one of outright hostility to the product that they've put out into the market. But... it's here, and you know what? I find it fun despite it's flaws!

    Some of the negativity here I agree with, some I think is over-reaction, and some I reckon that the poster had their kittens murdered by Cryptic employees.

    Thanks for taking what was hoped to be a constructive post and turn it into yet another whinefest! /flameon

     wow you just went from an honest post about sto, pushing some of the good things about it..... to

    THEY ARE ALL HATERS!!! DONT BELEIVE THEM!!!....

    in a hurry didnt you.

    please try posting some of the positive things about sto, rather than attacking others. i think you will have better results that way.

    (i will mention though that if you post "positive things" about sto, if they are not accurate you will get called on it) 

    I don't find any problem on the statement, basically says to draw conclusions based on personal experience rather than others opinions. The problem with hype or hatred is that is usually based on the assumption that everybody likes/hates the same things. I don't like STO and Eve but I like CoH and CO. I also like some f2p that most people of this site would say they are garbage. I think 'objective observations' should be the way to give information, taking away emotionality, without fanboysm or hatred.

     really? so the line after the one  higlighted isnt biased?

    , I know the general community here seems to be one of outright hostility to the product that they've put out into the market

    that statement portrays the legitimate criticism sto has taken on this site as biased. that is untrue, sto has earned the criticism its gets here and elsewhere (including its own forums). this statement portrays the criticism here as being unusual, when its the norm for sto. sto has had bad reviews from everywhere, this site included.

    im not saying that people should not make up their own minds, but saying or implying that the criticism of sto on this site is anything but normal is misleading if not an outright lie.

    whatever game youve moved on to at this point (if your not playing sto) log in and ask in the general chat what people think of sto, i have, i dont think ive seen any positive feedback besides "it has decent graphics"

    I don't see how is that wrong, for anybody coming to this site for the first time, you will see that for every STO related topic even the shallowest ones there is a troop of people expressing their discomfort. For instance, there has been a couple of contest giving out STO game and subscriptions and still a group of people went there to continue the bashing. So I don't think the outright hostility perception is something outrageous to say. If the game is the worst game ever is something that can be argued and we could even agree on it,  but the restless ganking gives a definitely hostility perception.

  • raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

    Originally posted by Frostbite05


     

    Bingo Cryptic should use this list of things to fix.

     some of those things require a complete reworking of the engine/game..... wouldnt it just be easier to say the should start again and remake the game?

    IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

  • raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

    Originally posted by gandales

    Originally posted by raistalin69

     

     really? so the line after the one  higlighted isnt biased?

    , I know the general community here seems to be one of outright hostility to the product that they've put out into the market

    that statement portrays the legitimate criticism sto has taken on this site as biased. that is untrue, sto has earned the criticism its gets here and elsewhere (including its own forums). this statement portrays the criticism here as being unusual, when its the norm for sto. sto has had bad reviews from everywhere, this site included.

    im not saying that people should not make up their own minds, but saying or implying that the criticism of sto on this site is anything but normal is misleading if not an outright lie.

    whatever game youve moved on to at this point (if your not playing sto) log in and ask in the general chat what people think of sto, i have, i dont think ive seen any positive feedback besides "it has decent graphics"

    I don't see how is that wrong, for anybody coming to this site for the first time, you will see that for every STO related topic even the shallowest ones there is a troop of people expressing their discomfort. For instance, there has been a couple of contest giving out STO game and subscriptions and still a group of people went there to continue the bashing. So I don't think the outright hostility perception is something outrageous to say. If the game is the worst game ever is something that can be argued and we could even agree on it,  but the restless ganking gives a definitely hostility perception.

     i wasnt implying that the sto isnt bashed or that people are not hostile to cryptic and sto... there are people who are hostile to both.

    my intended meaning was that it is not something you find only here, and that in fact it is commonplace.

     I know the general community here

    stating that this is something that happens here implys that it is not the norm or seperates it from a common view, when in fact it is the predominant view of ex-sto players (and imo there is more ex-sto players than current ones) and reviewers alike.

    i have no issue with someone posting positive things about sto that are accurate and truthful, problem is positive and truthful dont seem to mix very well when it comes to sto.

     

    edit: did they actually manage to give all the copies of sto offered away? or did they have to offer something with them to get people to take them?

    IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

Sign In or Register to comment.