Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Madness and Chaos ensues in MO

Comments

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

I hoping that 3 things help the look of the game.

The navmesh update included in the coming patch from Epic Games. This will hopefully help with some of the jitteryness and people floating off the ground.

The texture update coming in a few weeks that will allow for a lot more textures and high res textures.

An update to combat animation. In first person view my own animations look fine but watching other people makes them look kind of jerky and stiff. I wouldn't mind seeing an update there.

Oh as an added 4th I wouldn't mind seeing speedtree/speedgrass implemented. Trees are getting updated soon perhaps not with speedtree but updated still. Some parts of the ground in the game actually have foliage and look fine such as right outside Vadda but other parts are just a barren green floor and that doesn't look good. I'm sure they will update it eventually.

As someone said earlier though, gameplay trumps graphics usually. Most people who disagree with that are likely already playing Aion or AoC.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by Robsolf

The video is a good reminder as to why I don't like FFA PvP games(jerky, bugged, rubber bandy movement where a successful attack is as much about having the packets align as it is skill).

But, if the patch is getting those that enjoy it out there with some larger scale battles, I call it a win for MO.

Here's to FFAPvP players finding a bit of fun! 

*ping!*

Generally speaking, the game plays more smoothly than what is shown in the video, though I do think they still have some work to do on the graphics and prediction.

I've never been a big graphics guy.  While I think it's important to have decent graphics to a degree, I'll always favor gameplay first.

While I personally like the fighting it shows, I think the real point of the video is showing the action people are enjoying in Nave.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Rohn

The video is a good reminder as to why I don't like FFA PvP games(jerky, bugged, rubber bandy movement where a successful attack is as much about having the packets align as it is skill).

But, if the patch is getting those that enjoy it out there with some larger scale battles, I call it a win for MO.

Here's to FFAPvP players finding a bit of fun! 

*ping!*

Generally speaking, the game plays more smoothly than what is shown in the video, though I do think they still have some work to do on the graphics and prediction.

I've never been a big graphics guy.  While I think it's important to have decent graphics to a degree, I'll always favor gameplay first.

While I personally like the fighting it shows, I think the real point of the video is showing the action people are enjoying in Nave.

It's not the gfx that bother me, or even the frame rate.  EVERY game looks horrible on youtube. 

For me, it was all the rubberbanding and mis-plotting.  Guys popping up, then shooting back 10 paces, then popping in behind their opponent, etc.  It happens alot in that video, and for me to run up to a guy to attack to find out he left there 3 seconds ago, or he gets bounced backward yet another 10 paces... that's not the kind of chaos that I enjoy.

I think that's why Eve is that much more popular.  Rubberbanding and mis-plotting doesn't matter.

But again, I'm glad MO came up with a concept that's got people participating.  If things get going, the subs will flow, and eventually(hopefully) those problems will be issues of the past.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

So you guys don't read the comments in youtube?  

"-@charlizd I've had quite a few people who have never played MO say how it looks like shit. Somehow they missed my comment on? "Patch Day" (lag) or how one fight is 15 mins or another comment on 30 mins. It is an hours of fraps sped up and smashed in 7 mins.

It isn't intended to be a game play advertisement of MO, but a video on the territory control patch day events those that play MO can appreciate. With the camera zooms and sped up footage it will be choppy to those that don't play."

Ofcourse it looks kind of choppy and jumpy, and ofcourse the combat looks fast.

IT'S 30 MINUTES OF COMBAT SPED UP INTO A 7 MINUTE VIDEO.

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• vinterchaosvinterchaos Member UncommonPosts: 6

up until now I've been on the rocks on if I wanna pay more attention to this game and maybe give it a go, but that looked so awful that I'm completely done with the notion that I'd ever play MO unless they gave out a free copy of the game and a free month to try it out o_O

• GallienteGalliente Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by username509

Which matter for a great deal of nothing if you're looking at graphics or server problems such as rubberbanding and mis-interaction with geography (I haven't seen something this extreme since Anarchy Online - at least that has an excuse of not using Unreal 3).

Eh, as was said, if that's what you like, knock yourself out.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

Originally posted by Galliente

Which matter for a great deal of nothing if you're looking at graphics or server problems such as rubberbanding and mis-interaction with geography (I haven't seen something this extreme since Anarchy Online - at least that has an excuse of not using Unreal 3).

You don't think it matters? ...Ahah...ahahaha...ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

That video indeed successfully killed the last remaining temptation to ever give the game a try.

Thanks for that, saved me some money image

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Some things don't have to do with compressing the time (i.e. the way horses stand on the ground more likely relates to the navmesh update) but the "rubberbanding" absolutely does.  Some of the movement gets left out with the compression, so what looks like "rubberbanding", at least in some cases is the fact that you just aren't seeing the intermediate steps that got displayed at normal speed.

Originally posted by ltank

You don't think it matters? ...Ahah...ahahaha...ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No, it doesn't. If a player rubberbands all you're going to see different if you speed it up is that a player rubberbands faster. Congratulations on your discovery of an extremely important fact. May your entire life be made up of such proud moments of clairvoyant insight.

Originally posted by osmunda

Some things don't have to do with compressing the time (i.e. the way horses stand on the ground more likely relates to the navmesh update) but the "rubberbanding" absolutely does.  Some of the movement gets left out with the compression, so what looks like "rubberbanding", at least in some cases is the fact that you just aren't seeing the intermediate steps that got displayed at normal speed.

Unless you're chopping the video up, no. And it still wouldn't display as rubberbanding, because that would make the entire video skip and not just a single player. If you can't differentiate between rubberbanding and frame skipping, than that may be fault other than the video's. I was specifically referring to the former of examples when previously posting.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by Luthor_X

Originally posted by GTwander

I agree it looks jittery, but the environments look fine. This game features enough nitpicking as is.

I think most will agree that game-play trumps gfx any day... But, I can't speculate about the former since I haven't played since beta.

Ehhhh not quite... more like a balance between the two.
  • BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

For me, it was all the rubberbanding and mis-plotting.  Guys popping up, then shooting back 10 paces, then popping in behind their opponent, etc.  It happens alot in that video, and for me to run up to a guy to attack to find out he left there 3 seconds ago, or he gets bounced backward yet another 10 paces... that's not the kind of chaos that I enjoy.

Have you ever played  a multiplayer FPS game with a guy who has 200-400 ping ? It looks almost the same. Lag is part of the problem as you have only one server in Europe and players from around the world.

Net code still needs some work, especially movement prediction. The hit detection is client based as server based is not technically possible for them ( I doubt it is possible for anyone ). Hit detection lacks even server based distance calculations which results in being hit by a guy who appears for you to be 10 meters away from you. For me it is a big issue which completely destroys the competitve value of MO's combat, hopefully only for now. Devs said that distance calculations is one of the incoming improvements to net code.

The general quality of combat will improve as well when or if a NA server will be launched. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against non-EU based players, but the lag difference is the main reason which destroys enjoyment of multiplayer based game play. No net code can smooth out that issue completely.

• BevoLJBevoLJ Member Posts: 3

@ OP :  Please remove my video from your OP post and ask to have this thread close from the mods.  I already asked them only to have them ban me.  I made the video posted in the op.  I did not make it as an advertisement for MO.  It is not a game play video.  The video is made for those who play MO and were involved in the action and event of that day.  For those of you who do not play MO you may not under stand lag happens on patch days, and how (even though I mention it in the video) it is almost an hour of video smashed into 7 mins and sped up, along with camera zooms.  So yes it is choppy and to those who don't play will look bad.

Like I said, it is not a game play video, or ever intended as an advertisement.  If you do not play MO that is great.  I have no problem if you never do.  Stick with your EQ/WOW.  They are fine stable extreamly polished games, which is great!  I really can care less if any of you ever play MO.  This forum and those of you who do not play MO are not my intended audience.  I am extreamly upset that no matter how hard I have tried to have the mods removed my video from your site all they do is send me warning and temp bans but refuse to actually comunicate or respond to me in any other way as to why they will not remove my video.

The Association [ASS]

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Originally posted by BevoLJ

@ OP :  Please remove my video from your OP post and ask to have this thread close from the mods.  I already asked them only to have them ban me.  I made the video posted in the op.  I did not make it as an advertisement for MO.  It is not a game play video.  The video is made for those who play MO and were involved in the action and event of that day.  For those of you who do not play MO you may not under stand lag happens on patch days, and how (even though I mention it in the video) it is almost an hour of video smashed into 7 mins and sped up, along with camera zooms.  So yes it is choppy and to those who don't play will look bad.

Like I said, it is not a game play video, or ever intended as an advertisement.  If you do not play MO that is great.  I have no problem if you never do.  Stick with your EQ/WOW.  They are fine stable extreamly polished games, which is great!  I really can care less if any of you ever play MO.  This forum and those of you who do not play MO are not my intended audience.  I am extreamly upset that no matter how hard I have tried to have the mods removed my video from your site all they do is send me warning and temp bans but refuse to actually comunicate or respond to me in any other way as to why they will not remove my video.

Maybe you would have better luck removing it from YouTube?

Then no one can link it.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Maybe you would have better luck removing it from YouTube?

Then no one can link it.

Ding Ding Ding.. we have a winner.  Youtube is public domain.. you put a file up for public consumption you can't complain when people link to it...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

So why put a video on Youtube that you don't want people to see.

I'm seriously curious.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• ange10ange10 Member Posts: 307

Originally posted by Blindchance

Have you ever played  a multiplayer FPS game with a guy who has 200-400 ping ? It looks almost the same. Lag is part of the problem as you have only one server in Europe and players from around the world.

Net code still needs some work, especially movement prediction. The hit detection is client based as server based is not technically possible for them ( I doubt it is possible for anyone ). Hit detection lacks even server based distance calculations which results in being hit by a guy who appears for you to be 10 meters away from you. For me it is a big issue which completely destroys the competitve value of MO's combat, hopefully only for now. Devs said that distance calculations is one of the incoming improvements to net code.

The general quality of combat will improve as well when or if a NA server will be launched. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against non-EU based players, but the lag difference is the main reason which destroys enjoyment of multiplayer based game play. No net code can smooth out that issue completely.

distance doesnt really have anything to do with ping, its how "clean" and "direct" the connection is.

for example, NA players have better connections to the server then most EU players because they their connection is more direct then some EU players.

its based on your ISP and the infrastructure of your area to be honest.

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259

So...uhm....when is this game being shut down already? I have heard nothing but negativity / drama since alpha.

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by Luxumaru

So...uhm....when is this game being shut down already? I have heard nothing but negativity / drama since alpha.

I honestly don't know what they're running off of at this point. I don't think they could have any money left or hopes to recoup costs.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• BevoLJBevoLJ Member Posts: 3

I have heard nothing but negativity / drama since alpha.

I'd recomend reading something other than MMORPG then.

The Association [ASS]

• FledoFledo Member Posts: 64

Too true Bevo, too true.

Don't know why people who have never played a game, or people who played during open beta seek to bash a game... Or then others who read opinions of people not in-game assume its dead.

It was the same with Darkfall, and now people are all saying yeah its a good game etc etc. It will be the same with MO, in fact, they are rolling out content much faster than DF so I imagine it won't be long :)

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by Fledo

Too true Bevo, too true.

Don't know why people who have never played a game, or people who played during open beta seek to bash a game... Or then others who read opinions of people not in-game assume its dead.

It was the same with Darkfall, and now people are all saying yeah its a good game etc etc. It will be the same with MO, in fact, they are rolling out content much faster than DF so I imagine it won't be long :)

I agree completely.  After last Mondays patch you can already notice an increase in the size of the playerbase.  MortalOnline will end up a lot like Eve in terms of slowly growing hardcore following of gamers.  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987

Originally posted by Fledo

Let's see what Seraphina's review has to say in a few days image

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155

Maybe in time this game will be decent but as of now waiting is best.