Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about "re-subing"

2»

Comments

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by osmunda

@ phelcher:

Let me preface my comments by saying that I very much am a solo player

Exactly what features do you think they should add for the solo player.  So far none of the things you describe are really specific to the single player.  A couple of the things you cite are roleplaying or gui features, not anything specific to solo players.  (does the font of chat text really bother you that much?)   The essential problem is that there is almost nothing that there is nothing to offer that would appeal to all solo players that doesn't apply equally to the individuals that make up a guild.

In fact there is really only one defining characteristic of the solo player and SV has put something in to specifically address that.  The one thing that all solo players have in common is the fact that they don't want to get wrapped up in guild and interguild issues.  The thing that would most benefit the solo player would be some sort of neutral, protected status that prevents guilds from riding roughshod over those players that just don't want to get involved. In MO that's called statloss.

Plz read, look at the first 2 poll choices.. over half the paying customers bearly log in... though, 21% of them don't log in at all. Understand? (*wink*)

A unfinished sanbox must role out things in a maner that is conducive of individual playstyles and gameplay. Simple logic states that if you are in a guild, whatever done, will also benifit you aswell. But to glaringly dismiss this and constantly be giving one type of playstyle all the focus is backwards and wrong. Did I mention disrespectful?

Back in the day, you didn't need a guild banner to be, or feel like you were in a guild. You just talked with other and when hailing people, it was mentioned. Or, you chose a specific color and waore it. Role playing goes a long way.

Yet, SV is going overboard to differentiate guild people, yet not giving the single player the same respect, or oppertunity. Where is the banner I can buy that says SOLO PLAYER ? Or perhaps some fine clothing to openly suggest the same thing? Solo player wants perks too..

Yes btw, the in-game text may not seem all that much to you, because I doubt you converse, or even role play. But if & when Mortal Online has a nice roleplaying font, then when approuched and your see; Greetings! You just aren't going to pass bye rudely, or ignore the invite for conversation.

Small point, but valid none the less.

Why couldn't fishing and diving for pearls been in the game upon release? What was preventing SV from focusing on those forms of income, over all the Guild keep stuff? 

The answer is nothing, it was just that SV is more concerned about pleasing guilds, than the rest of the solo players. Case in point is riding skill. I can't imagine one single guild person without buying that book and honing that skill. Yet, tons if solo players didn't bother, they went with diving, or another skill to help them with avoidance, or diverify income. Remember, a solo player isn't on vent and can say "Hey someone stand at Meduli bank and hold these items while I switch characters".

Yet, StarVault is more focused on Horses, trample, horse armor, etc because nobody in a guild goes without horseback riding, or chose swimming instead. Yet, I bought a book called "diving for pearls".. get my point? Most solo players don't want Platemail & massive 2-handers, but what about dual wielding cheap swords, (or daggers), that should be viable, but isn't. Because (again) SV lost focus)

But hey.. lets work on palisades, guild tags, tax system, insignias, horse armor before any of that.

Not saying SV won't get there, but the pace in which they implamanet a taxing system, countries, isignias, Keeps, guild tags, etc   vs  not having pearls in the ocean, is disturbing to a good many oldschool players.

Many who are slowing pulling their subs, because Henrik can't figure this simple stuff out.

Why do people who want to be in a guild, are allowed to, but someone who wants to play a Hermit cliff diver and pearl collector unacceptable?  We are both paying cutomers. Both should be viable. 

Guilds come first in MO and as long as that is true, then a good many players will keep their wallets closed..

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• thorppesthorppes Member Posts: 452

Originally posted by Phelcher

@ phelcher:

Exactly what features do you think they should add for the solo player.  So far none of the things you describe are really specific to the single player.  A couple of the things you cite are roleplaying or gui features, not anything specific to solo players.  (does the font of chat text really bother you that much?)   The essential problem is that there is almost nothing that there is nothing to offer that would appeal to all solo players that doesn't apply equally to the individuals that make up a guild.

In fact there is really only one defining characteristic of the solo player and SV has put something in to specifically address that.  The one thing that all solo players have in common is the fact that they don't want to get wrapped up in guild and interguild issues.  The thing that would most benefit the solo player would be some sort of neutral, protected status that prevents guilds from riding roughshod over those players that just don't want to get involved. In MO that's called statloss.

Plz read, look at the first 2 poll choices.. over half the paying customers bearly log in... though, 21% of them don't log in at all. Understand? (*wink*)

A unfinished sanbox must role out things in a maner that is conducive of individual playstyles and gameplay. Simple logic states that if you are in a guild, whatever done, will also benifit you aswell. But to glaringly dismiss this and constantly be giving one type of playstyle all the focus is backwards and wrong. Did I mention disrespectful?

Back in the day, you didn't need a guild banner to be, or feel like you were in a guild. You just talked with other and when hailing people, it was mentioned. Or, you chose a specific color and waore it. Role playing goes a long way.

Yet, SV is going overboard to differentiate guild people, yet not giving the single player the same respect, or oppertunity. Where is the banner I can buy that says SOLO PLAYER ? Or perhaps some fine clothing to openly suggest the same thing? Solo player wants perks too..

Yes btw, the in-game text may not seem all that much to you, because I doubt you converse, or even role play. But if & when Mortal Online has a nice roleplaying font, then when approuched and your see; Greetings! You just aren't going to pass bye rudely, or ignore the invite for conversation.

Why couldn't fishing and diving for pearls been in the game upon release? What was preventing SV from focusing on those forms of income, over all the Guild keep stuff? 

The answer is nothing, it was just that SV is more concerned about pleasing guilds, than the rest of the solo players. Case in point is riding skill. I can't imagine one single guild person without buying that book and honing that skill. Yet, tons if solo players didn't bother, they went with diving, or another skill to help them with avoidance, or diverify income. Remember, a solo player isn't on vent and can say "Hey someone stand at Meduli bank and hold these items while I switch characters".

Yet, StarVault is more focused on Horses, trample, horse armor, etc because nobody in a guild goes without horseback riding, or chose swimming instead. Yet, I bought a book called "diving for pearls".. get my point? Most solo players don't want Platemail & massive 2-handers, but what about dual wielding cheap swords, (or daggers), that should be viable, but isn't. Because (again) SV lost focus)

But hey.. lets work on palisades, guild tags, tax system, insignias, horse armor before any of that.

Not saying SV won't get there, but the pace in which they implamanet a taxing system, countries, isignias, Keeps, guild tags, etc   vs  not having pearls in the ocean, is disturbing to a good many oldschool players.

Many who are slowing pulling their subs, because Henrik can't figure this simple stuff out.

Why do people who want to be in a guild, are allowed to, but someone who wants to play a Hermit cliff diver and pearl collector unacceptable?  We are both paying cutomers. Both should be viable. 

Guilds come first in MO and as long as that is true, then a good many players will keep their wallets closed..

I'm sorry but you are talking non-sense, the community asked for more guild mechanics to make it easier and more recognisable and we're getting it. Solo - single player RPGs are good, Friends/Guild?-MMOs

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by thorppes

@ phelcher:

I'm sorry but you are talking non-sense, the community asked for more guild mechanics to make it easier and more recognisable and we're getting it. Solo - single player RPGs are good, Friends/Guild?-MMOs

Yet, there a guild members on the forums who are asking SV to focus more on solo content and player things.  *jaw drop*  derp

Because they too, understand how barren and boring this game is as a solo player. See Shinzon's post if you are actually interested and not trolling.

As more and more people try the game, or as more and more guilds from other games send Officers to investigate Mortal, they will all have the same story.  Not MMORPG, just glorified Darkfall (Clan vs Clan).

The answer will always come back the same. Mortal needs things to do for the individual and needs to work on skills.

Honestly, how much more can StarVault be focused on guilds right now ?? (Their entire development team and patch notes are centered around guilds.)

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• thorppesthorppes Member Posts: 452

Originally posted by thorppes

@ phelcher:

Yet, there a guild members on the forums who are asking SV to focus more on solo content and player things.  *jaw drop*  derp

Because they too, understand how barren and boring this game is as a solo player. See Shinzon's post if you are actually interested and not trolling.

As more and more people try the game, or as more and more guilds from other games send Officers to investigate Mortal, they will all have the same story.  Not MMORPG, just glorified Darkfall (Clan vs Clan).

The answer will always come back the same. Mortal needs things to do for the individual and needs to work on skills.

Honestly, how much more can StarVault be focused on guilds right now ?? (Their entire development team and patch notes are centered around guilds.)

Can you clarify what you classify as Solo features?

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I think he wants to be a able to solo dungeons, siege alone and such you know do endgame/party stuff alone.

• ThububThubub Member UncommonPosts: 62

I have been subscribed for two months now and played less than 5 hours.  Hands down this is the worst MMO I have ever played.  I don't see how anyone could play this and actually enjoy it.  As a Darkfall vet I know about difficult launches, that said... if this is the style of game you like, Darkfall is MILES ahead of this in every aspect.  I could list the long littany of reasons why it sucks, but you can find those in thread after thread.  Just don't do it...

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

Originally posted by thubub

I have been subscribed for two months now and played less than 5 hours.  Hands down this is the worst MMO I have ever played.  I don't see how anyone could play this and actually enjoy it.  As a Darkfall vet I know about difficult launches, that said... if this is the style of game you like, Darkfall is MILES ahead of this in every aspect.  I could list the long littany of reasons why it sucks, but you can find those in thread after thread.  Just don't do it...

Yeah sure.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

I hope you have cancelled your sub by now...  I can understand getting duped into buying it.. but subbing for 2 months seems like a glutton for punishment after your description of the game  image

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

See. I feel the opposite.

I was (un)lucky enough to get DFO on release day and played for the first 4 months.

Worst.Game.Ever. Absolutely cant stand DFO and I could also make a long list of reasons.

I think its an insipid piece of garbage.

MO is exactly what Im looking for. Im enjoying this game more than any other I have played since UO-T2A.

To me, MO is the spiritual successor to UO.

Even though it is unstable, buggy and lacking content.

Funny how different people have different likes/dislikes huh?

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)