Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jesse Heinig joins Cryptic for STO

Comments

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Oh , so you can come on basically call everybody stupid because they aren't playing , but when someone calls you on it , you're not going to debate him ? Go back to the STO forums where you're safe . FYI I've never been a proponent of ship interiors , I never saw them adding any relevance to the game . You can check any of my posts on the STO forum , under Vuk.  So your reading comprehension looks like it needs some work as well.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by raistalin69

no, in fact you didnt answer the question at all. just like i said.

just to come here to troll? 

Yes. It's the same thing we see here all the time; we get one of these types hopping into a thread, and calling anyone with that has a problem with the game a hater and/or a troll. Their threads usually go around in circles, then they disappear for a bit while another pops in to carry their flag. Just block them and be done with it.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

I think it's probably too late for Cryptic to turn this bus around. I don't think the game will die completely, they probably have enough subs to keep it going, but they'll never get the numbers they want no matter who they bring in.

Originally posted by kartool

I think it's probably too late for Cryptic to turn this bus around. I don't think the game will die completely, they probably have enough subs to keep it going, but they'll never get the numbers they want no matter who they bring in.

Remember though; Cryptic was selling 50,000 subscribers as a viable number to Atari. Everything I have seen so far indicates that they are still making that number.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Originally posted by Dinendae

no, in fact you didnt answer the question at all. just like i said.

just to come here to troll? 

Yes. It's the same thing we see here all the time; we get one of these types hopping into a thread, and calling anyone with that has a problem with the game a hater and/or a troll. Their threads usually go around in circles, then they disappear for a bit while another pops in to carry their flag. Just block them and be done with it.

One of these types? I don't have to call anyone a hater or a troll, post history speaks well for itself here on these forums. Same goes for crazy fans post history speaks for itself.

One more thing before I'm done with the thread. Goodluck Jesse Heining! I hope you are able to do great things for the game!

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

Remember though; Cryptic was selling 50,000 subscribers as a viable number to Atari. Everything I have seen so far indicates that they are still making that number.

I think they'll have a hard time keeping that number of players for too long. There's a bit of a lull in new games lately, but by spring 2011 there will be enough new games that STO will probably lose all but the most hardcore fans. I of course have no data to back this up, other than the fact that I've played the game and have seen what it has to offer. I consider myself an average mmo player, I'm not hardcore nor can I be considered casual. There's just not enough to the game to keep me paying.

If they go the f2p route, it might be a different story, but as things stand there's a lot of competition on its way.

That's the part that makes me laugh . If I'm a CBS ex , I'm starting to fume . This is not helping the IP and  with ToR on the horizon ( and you know they are watching it ) , they are going to have a cow , especially if the subs stay at that level.  They want the IP to compete with SW, this will not be helpful nor desirable. Game Devs always complain that companies want too much control over their IP's , well Cryptic is an example of why. A badly made game,  damages the IP an ruins it's potential for future sales as much as good one helps it spread. A movie can spur the excitement for a game , the game can an will continue that excitment. I'm not saying it works in the opposite direction mind you. That population is too small relatively speaking to have that big an impact.

I think they'll have a hard time keeping that number of players for too long. There's a bit of a lull in new games lately, but by spring 2011 there will be enough new games that STO will probably lose all but the most hardcore fans. I of course have no data to back this up, other than the fact that I've played the game and have seen what it has to offer. I consider myself an average mmo player, I'm not hardcore nor can I be considered casual. There's just not enough to the game to keep me paying.

If they go the f2p route, it might be a different story, but as things stand there's a lot of competition on it's way.

Spring is too far away , to make a big splash , financially , X-mas sales are where you want to land.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I'm guessing that 20k to 30k of that 50k are lifers.  What happens in 12 months when ToR and GW2 have been out for a bit and STO subs drop below the 50k mark with 20k+ of those remaining being lifers playing for free?

2011 will be an interesting year for Cryptic and Atari.  I dont think the third MMO they are doing is going to have any better numbers than CO and STO.  I have played most MMO's and even if it is a neverwinter nights based game, I have no desire to play it. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Talonsin

I'm guessing that 20k to 30k of that 50k are lifers.  What happens in 12 months when ToR and GW2 have been out for a bit and STO subs drop below the 50k mark with 20k+ of those remaining being lifers playing for free?

2011 will be an interesting year for Cryptic and Atari.  I dont think the third MMO they are doing is going to have any better numbers than CO and STO.  I have played most MMO's and even if it is a neverwinter nights based game, I have no desire to play it. 

Someone quoted an old STO Dev post here, saying the number of lifetimers was around 25,000 (possibly a bit more now, since they still sell the lifetime susbcriptions the last time I checked). If they have held onto that money and doled it out over time like they were planning, then when it runs out Atari is going to be in a lot of financial pain yet again. Don't forget that they currently have four lawsuits against them, and two of them appear to be sure bets against Atari. As you say, 2011 will indeed be an interesting year for them.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by chaintm

you can dig apart any post on these forums in any game, woopee! ya all that information is for who now? Oh me? As i had no clue, gotcha! eh not going to get into the tidbit debates, you guys are obviously the ones that wanted to fly ships out of a viewing screen on the bridge. Ya, that would have been fun for about 2min. Have fun ... flame on!

thank you for the positive feed back on the improvements cryptic has made to sto. very informative.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

That's the part that makes me laugh . If I'm a CBS ex , I'm starting to fume . This is not helping the IP and  with ToR on the horizon ( and you know they are watching it ) , they are going to have a cow , especially if the subs stay at that level.  They want the IP to compete with SW, this will not be helpful nor desirable. Game Devs always complain that companies want too much control over their IP's , well Cryptic is an example of why. A badly made game,  damages the IP an ruins it's potential for future sales as much as good one helps it spread. A movie can spur the excitement for a game , the game can an will continue that excitment. I'm not saying it works in the opposite direction mind you. That population is too small relatively speaking to have that big an impact.

There's another school of thought on this, that I have seen some others post in the past: It's that CBS is only concerned with milking the franchise for anything, and don't really care one way or the other about the quality of STO as long as they continue to make something off of it. I don't personally subscribe to that theory; I'd like to think that somewhere in CBS, there's someone who would like to maximize profits from the IP.

Originally posted by Talonsin

anyone else starting to wonder why the "big announcement" about cryptics next game hasnt come yet. wasnt it early june that one of there managers was bragging about there next upcoming game? saying there would be an announcement in late summer?

with the major house cleaning that appears to be happening at cryptic, i wonder if something has gone horribly wrong with the "mmo every 2 years" plan.

im REALLY going to laugh if they get the rug pulled out from under them again and have the neverwinter nights title pulled from them like they did with marvel. how can a management team make the same mistakes over and over?

wonder what they will call it if they cant call it nwn? always summer days?

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

anyone else starting to wonder why the "big announcement" about cryptics next game hasnt come yet. wasnt it early june that one of there managers was bragging about there next upcoming game? saying there would be an announcement in late summer?

with the major house cleaning that appears to be happening at cryptic, i wonder if something has gone horribly wrong with the "mmo every 2 years" plan.

im REALLY going to laugh if they get the rug pulled out from under them again and have the neverwinter nights title pulled from them like they did with marvel. how can a management team make the same mistakes over and over?

I believe Roper stated sometime around late July for news on the next MMO. Considering the 'Klingon information blitz' started weeks later than it should have, and it took Jack Emmert kicking the STO devs in the backside to start giving out the information (in an attempt to quell the uproar Stahl caused in a podcast around Dec. 13, 2009), I'd say that we're on Cryptic time and have at least a couple more weeks before they're late with the information.

I still have a problem thinking that Atari would be that monumentally stupid as to allow Cryptic to continue work on a D&D based MMO, let alone allow them to actually launch one, before the Hasbro lawsuit has been settled. Unless they reach some kind of out-of-court settlement, and we would hear about that (though not the details probably), Atari would be seriously jeopardizing their case and be opening themselves up to more litigation.

I believe Roper stated sometime around late July for news on the next MMO. Considering the 'Klingon information blitz' started weeks later than it should have, and it took Jack Emmert kicking the STO devs in the backside to start giving out the information (in an attempt to quell the uproar Stahl caused in a podcast around Dec. 13, 2009), I'd say that we're on Cryptic time and have at least a couple more weeks before they're late with the information.

I still have a problem thinking that Atari would be that monumentally stupid as to allow Cryptic to continue work on a D&D based MMO, let alone allow them to actually launch one, before the Hasbro lawsuit has been settled. Unless they reach some kind of out-of-court settlement, and we would hear about that (though not the details probably), Atari would be seriously jeopardizing their case and be opening themselves up to more litigation.

Late summer according to Bill Roper.

"I can't speak to the specifics of what we're doing, but it's true that we have another game in the works. We won't be making an announcement until late summer, and we're still a ways off from launch. I can say that this is a game and a franchise we're very excited about. I think people are going to pleased and a bit surprised with what we're doing in terms of the game, how we make it, and even how we sell and support it. The game is being developed around new design principles merged with Cryptic's community-first approach to ongoing development."

According to my handy dandy desk calender Fall begins Sept 23. The policy may change now that Roper is gone, who knows.

Source: http://www.massively.com/2010/05/05/cryptic-to-announce-new-mmo-later-this-summer/

PAX is the next gaming convention . Usually that'll be time that they make big announcements , since all the press is around.

Originally posted by Sevenwind

Late summer according to Bill Roper.

"I can't speak to the specifics of what we're doing, but it's true that we have another game in the works. We won't be making an announcement until late summer, and we're still a ways off from launch. I can say that this is a game and a franchise we're very excited about. I think people are going to pleased and a bit surprised with what we're doing in terms of the game, how we make it, and even how we sell and support it. The game is being developed around new design principles merged with Cryptic's community-first approach to ongoing development."

According to my handy dandy desk calender Fall begins Sept 23. The policy may change now that Roper is gone, who knows.

Source: http://www.massively.com/2010/05/05/cryptic-to-announce-new-mmo-later-this-summer/

yep, bet this was mentioned when bill got canned. it was so awesome for everyone to hear that they had another game in the pipe when they never bothered to get the last two games completed to a point where they should be released!!!!

Bill: "Wait till you see the game were working on now guys!!! its going to be super fantastic!!!"

STO subscriber: "ummm, Bildo, what about the klingon content you promised?"

Bill: "Klingons???? klingons sadly just wont fit well with this game, how about a dwarf?"

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

They can make all the changes they want.. For me, 70% of the problem is their ENGINE.. until they address that, people power isn't going to matter much..

Originally posted by Rydeson

They can make all the changes they want.. For me, 70% of the problem is their ENGINE.. until they address that, people power isn't going to matter much..

Actually, fairly early after launch they did start admitting that their engine couldn't handle a lot of what they wanted it to do, without some significant reworking. Whether they bothered trying and the suits said no, or they just didn't bother trying to update the engine, is anyone's guess.

• wardog250wardog250 Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by saxifr

Just exactly what has changed with Cryptic and their product? More of the same "It will be better in X months"?

How much good faith are we supposed to give Cryptic? How much more money should we spend with them?

Cryptic could find the cure for cancer and some of you on these forums would find a way to bash them. And it may very well be better in x months. It was that way for my experience with AoC. I was there from the start, lasted a month. Waited six months later and it was a new experience for me. I'm still subbed to this day.

You can put as much faith as you want in Cryptic and it's your money do what you want with it or wait till they have a f2p weekend to see if you like the changes.

Just saying the guy is new and he's already getting heat and really hasn't had a chance to do anything.

Actually I could come up with a lot of reasons to bash them for curing cancer.  You realize there is more than one view point to everything right?  Stop drinking the koolaid and try to understand people's arguments before you let your emotions needlessly put you on the defensive.

Let's examine why anyone would have resentment towards any Cryptic employee.  I'd say one of the main reasons is they tried to sell everyone a bottle of snake oil.  They failed to produce what they advertised and to top it off they found ways to nickle and dime anyone desperate enough to wait around for them to accomplish what they claimed years ago.  So far, they aren't even close to getting there and the game has been out over a half a year.  It shouldn't have even been released yet; but, they have people pouring money into their product by feeding them misinformation and false promises.

This game is a scam and that being said, is reason enough to provok hostility towards anyone who partakes in it's development.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo Galilei

Originally posted by wardog250

Originally posted by saxifr

Just exactly what has changed with Cryptic and their product? More of the same "It will be better in X months"?

How much good faith are we supposed to give Cryptic? How much more money should we spend with them?

Cryptic could find the cure for cancer and some of you on these forums would find a way to bash them. And it may very well be better in x months. It was that way for my experience with AoC. I was there from the start, lasted a month. Waited six months later and it was a new experience for me. I'm still subbed to this day.

You can put as much faith as you want in Cryptic and it's your money do what you want with it or wait till they have a f2p weekend to see if you like the changes.

Just saying the guy is new and he's already getting heat and really hasn't had a chance to do anything.

Actually I could come up with a lot of reasons to bash them for curing cancer.  You realize there is more than one view point to everything right?  Stop drinking the koolaid and try to understand people's arguments before you let your emotions needlessly put you on the defensive.

Let's examine why anyone would have resentment towards any Cryptic employee.  I'd say one of the main reasons is they tried to sell everyone a bottle of snake oil.  They failed to produce what they advertised and to top it off they found ways to nickle and dime anyone desperate enough to wait around for them to accomplish what they claimed years ago.  So far, they aren't even close to getting there and the game has been out over a half a year.  It shouldn't have even been released yet; but, they have people pouring money into their product by feeding them misinformation and false promises.

This game is a scam and that being said, is reason enough to provok hostility towards anyone who partakes in it's development.

You do realize that no matter how much you hate the game or the company there is going to be people who enjoy the game? I do understand people's arguments, but you know, these forums have their small little hate club followers who post daily Cryptic did this and Cryptic did that, everything they do is wrong. Check the post history it speaks volumes. When 98% of your posts contain bash Cryptic and STO posts....you might be a member. That was the reason for the sarcastic comment.

The game is fun and enjoyable minus the c-store. Perfect? No, not even close. And no matter what you say, post, preach from the mountain top, someone else is going to see it a different way.

• kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 304

Well at least those who bash STO keeps the forum alive and STO on front page. Any publicity is good publicity. A lot of players are enjoying game and STO will continue to improve in future. There is not a single MMO which doesn't have its club of haters. I don't think thats a big deal now is it?

90% of haters are begging for love. 10% just want a little attention -- Paulo Coelho

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

It only takes one person to change something in any company, new ideas, fresh perspective , there is a hopefull possibility that Jesse may have something exciting to bring to the STO team.  From what I've played in STO, the only thing that was a let down and I do hope it's tweaked and reworked is the ground gameplay, this to me is what needs work the most and is the only reason my account is on hold at the moment.  So here's to someone new to the team and hopefully it counts for something amazing for STO's future.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

You do realize that no matter how much you hate the game or the company there is going to be people who enjoy the game? I do understand people's arguments, but you know, these forums have their small little hate club followers who post daily Cryptic did this and Cryptic did that, everything they do is wrong. Check the post history it speaks volumes. When 98% of your posts contain bash Cryptic and STO posts....you might be a member. That was the reason for the sarcastic comment.

The game is fun and enjoyable minus the c-store. Perfect? No, not even close. And no matter what you say, post, preach from the mountain top, someone else is going to see it a different way.

my names raistalin and im a member. doesnt make anything ive posted wrong, dishonest or misleading, as you point out. that just makes me pro-active about warning others away from a product that i strongly feel is sub-standard (a view shared by most people), something that could potentially benefit many consumers.

your right the game is fun, but you fail to mention it is only fun for about 3 days to a week (more if you dont play very much) and then becomes extremely repetitive with very little to do. if you are still enjoying the game, im happy for you. you are the exception though not the norm.  

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF STO IS CALLING PEOPLE HATERS, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME