Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online Patch Notes for 16 August

2»

Comments

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

Originally posted by neorandom

i remember not having maps in eq1 and uo, i get terribly terribly lost without maps.  and running back to loot my body of all my belongings with no map really sucked!

I remember those days.

Back then it was a feature, but now it's a choir. Funny how little things like a family and career changes your gaming perspective, lol.

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583

Thats one of many reason why I really love MO. No handholding, no maps, no minimaps, no instances, etc ...like the old EQ1 days. Where real knowledge about a game, counts for something. You had to learn how to find around in the world. 

Being able to get lost was one of the danger.

• thorppesthorppes Member Posts: 452

The sense of acheivment you feel, having just learnt your way around a new area. =) Great patch notes but the banners are aweful.

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Originally posted by Luthor_X

I remember those days.

Back then it was a feature, but now it's a choir. Funny how little things like a family and career changes your gaming perspective, lol.

Are you referring to people singing the praises of that sense of wonder you get in world that doesn't have GPS plugged directly into your characters brain? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choir  Or did you mean chore?

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

Originally posted by thorppes

Territory control is in no way a themepark mechanic. Infact it doesn't belong specifically to themepark or sandbox, it's the way in which its done. For example in a themepark like AION territory control is based on set places that go vulnerable at set times.

In a sandbox like MO you make war whenever you want and you build as much as you want, within the housing limits.

I realise you don't/haven't(?) played the game but no standard quests/map/global channels are actually very good features MO has. MO's territory control system is pretty sandbox to be fair.

Last response of subject so as not to derail topic.  You are confusing "Territory Control" with guild wars.  Yes.. as you say "you can make war whenever you want".  The reason why it IS a ThemePark mechanic is that the structures are built in pre-determined slots and the territories have pre-determined boundaries.  Very similar to WAR except the players have to initially build the structures. 

That doesn't mean it can't be a fun mechanic.. (Hey I LOVED playing in DAoC's RvR Frontiers) but IMHO it's not a sandbox mechanic.    As I said... my last response on the subject as it will just be a circular argument at this point

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

Originally posted by osmunda

Originally posted by Luthor_X

I remember those days.

Are you referring to people singing the praises of that sense of wonder you get in world that doesn't have GPS plugged directly into your characters brain? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choir  Or did you mean chore?

Haha!

+1 for typing a reply while choking down breakfast on the run out the door :)

I stand corrected!

/Salute

• Ethereal401Ethereal401 Member Posts: 20
    Wow, slapshot you really got owned there. You made a huge wishlist of features that are already in game. You admit to loving realm versus realm pvp, and everyone seems to agree that the territory control system is a huge step in the right direction for mortal online. We all know that you do not actually play this game even though you post negative things about it every day. Giving that the territory control system has everything you want in an mmo are you finally going to break down and buy this awesome game????