Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will UO be the biggiest MMO come back ever? I think so!

Comments

• oldergamer59oldergamer59 Member Posts: 31

It doesn't matter to me....I'm still playing UO. Haven't stopped since 1997...image

[EDIT] BTW, you may want to take a look at this Dev post. It talks about the new PvP arenas and the possibility of a classic shard.

http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=1082

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

If there was a classic shard, that was truely classic, then I would pay to play easily.  I would love that, but I don't think the demand is there anymore. 

• ClovenatorClovenator Member Posts: 10

At this point I think it'd just be better if Ultima Online simply made a new MMO altogether (kind of like what Guild Wars is doing with Guild Wars 2). Though some don't mind the 2D settings, others have been playing more recent MMOs like Aion, WoW, WAR, etc etc and simply do not want to revert back in time. If EA/Mythic could somehow manage to recreate UO in a more modern sense I think that would definitely catch more people's attention.

Also, I think it is a little too late for the game to release a classic server. It should have done this long ago, or just not done it at all. I believe the reason they are doing so is due to the success of the free servers like UO Gamers: Hybrid which has an old ruleset, with a few tweaks here and there.

Just my two cents. I'm not sure if I'd try it again or not.

• PreponerancePreponerance Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

I honestly don't think a classic shard would work that well now, players were a more mature breed in those days.

Back then you could all stand around outside of town and not have everyone mindlessly ganking everyone, even though it was allowed. And when people would get into a fight, people would watch instead of ganging up 10 on 1 for griefing. The open world PvP worked because of the players, not the rule set.  100% Truth,  I try to explain this to people I play with on Mortal Online and for some reason most of them don't grasp the idea at all. 

Now a days it would just be step out of town and ganked, constantly. A group of gamers that is all about ganking and griefing have taken over the open world pvp genre, there's no going back now.  Again Correct, this shouldn't be the staple of Open world PvP.

I loved original UO, played it non stop. Killed a bunch of people, died from some people, stole from some people, people stole from me. But it wasn't non stop everything I go to do someone ganks me kind of world. (Although it was fun to watch a guy mine until he was over burdened so he had to drop the ore in front of him move past it and pick it up again over and over, so you would stand close by with the threat of stealing it when he dropped it so he would just stand there all day waiting. And yes it happened to me too and it was always funny).

I wish the fun was still there and would love to see this really happen.  But in fact those days are gone and it will be an endless gank/zerg fest.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Originally posted by Preponerance

I honestly don't think a classic shard would work that well now, players were a more mature breed in those days.

Back then you could all stand around outside of town and not have everyone mindlessly ganking everyone, even though it was allowed. And when people would get into a fight, people would watch instead of ganging up 10 on 1 for griefing. The open world PvP worked because of the players, not the rule set.  100% Truth,  I try to explain this to people I play with on Mortal Online and for some reason most of them don't grasp the idea at all. 

Now a days it would just be step out of town and ganked, constantly. A group of gamers that is all about ganking and griefing have taken over the open world pvp genre, there's no going back now.  Again Correct, this shouldn't be the staple of Open world PvP.

I loved original UO, played it non stop. Killed a bunch of people, died from some people, stole from some people, people stole from me. But it wasn't non stop everything I go to do someone ganks me kind of world. (Although it was fun to watch a guy mine until he was over burdened so he had to drop the ore in front of him move past it and pick it up again over and over, so you would stand close by with the threat of stealing it when he dropped it so he would just stand there all day waiting. And yes it happened to me too and it was always funny).

I wish the fun was still there and would love to see this really happen.  But in fact those days are gone and it will be an endless gank/zerg fest.

I'm sure there would be gankfests but I think the community would harden and come together. Eventually it would balance out and once everyone knows who  and what areas to stay away from it kinda creates its own world inside the gaming world. A solid dedicated community.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• EmoqqboyEmoqqboy Member UncommonPosts: 194

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

no, classic Daoc > classic UO

This.

As much as graphics isnt the most important aspect of an MMO, UO's graphics are just way too outdated, DAOC's is still acceptable from my point of view. If they remade UO and had like the same game with today's up to date graphics engine, that might work:)

<QQ moar plz. kkthxbai.>

• PreponerancePreponerance Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by Briansho

I'm sure there would be gankfests but I think the community would harden and come together. Eventually it would balance out and once everyone knows who  and what areas to stay away from it kinda creates its own world inside the gaming world. A solid dedicated community.

That would be crossroads, Minoc area and Moonglow Gate....least that's what it used to be on GL hah

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Originally posted by Briansho

I think this would probably be the case as well.

Steam: Neph

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

300k people showed interst in playing DFO.

Free for all PvP and full loot is not the problem.  Anyone that thinks it is, is simply ignorant of the fact that there is a large, and growing portion of the MMO populous that has an interst in playing a game LIKE oldschool UO.

• SemielSemiel Member UncommonPosts: 94

Have you ever asked yourself why the population thinned out after trammel?

No, because it is simply not true. UOR was a huge success.

The subscription numbers went down hard later because of the focus on loot and items (somewhat also on 3d client introduction) and ninja stuff...

See for yourself.

• Munkyman1Munkyman1 Member Posts: 221

I would come back, the graphics really are not THAT important, don't get me wrong i enjoy some eye candy, but it really comes down to being functional for what the game is, actually the attempts at improving the graphics had negative effects on the population of the servers.  The game REALLY went down hill when the focus shifted to items being important, item insurance meaning there was no loss of amazing items, when they added basically raids.  In short the World of Warcraft formula was put into place on a game that was in compatible with the formula.

As a fencer i used to run into PVP with a GM spear, some aids, a few pots, and that was it.  Success depended on your skills, and how you played, not on whether or not i crafted the perfect resist armor, with capped out FC/FCR, or LMC, or Spell Damage increase etc... you get the idea, then powerscrolls which essentially meant you cant compete unless you do these raids to increase your skills beyond what the average player can.  Skills to work and time and effort for you to become an effective player, whereas essentially as long as you were willing to dump the money into a characters suit (grind for gold) you could be at top of your game with less emphasis placed on your skill levels.  Crafting also used to matter because you could lose items or they actually BROKE! yes even our super soul sucking sword +5 would eventually break.  This required a person to need crafters to make weapons, also a GM smith repairing was much better than a lower skilled smith repairing.  This also in effect meant one was careful with how they used their real amazing weapons.  

Ultimately it would depend on hwo far they decide to revert back, but i think if they went to UO R they would be for the most part fine. Drop necros, ninjas, sams, spellweavers, gargoyles all of that extra junk they developed to get players to buy expansions.  Toss out resistances on armors, go back to vanilla magic resistance, drop paladins.  OH and toss out the stupid vendors, community is supported when people gather in one place to buy, sale, and converse.  

There is always going to be the silly Ganker in an open PVP world, but often they are the minority, and the good players typically come in force to keep the gankers under control, usually a balance is achieved.  

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Back then you could all stand around outside of town and not have everyone mindlessly ganking everyone, even though it was allowed. And when people would get into a fight, people would watch instead of ganging up 10 on 1 for griefing. The open world PvP worked because of the players, not the rule set.

Now a days it would just be step out of town and ganked, constantly. A group of gamers that is all about ganking and griefing have taken over the open world pvp genre, there's no going back now.

I played right after launch in 1997 when there was no Trammel.  I loved the fear of getting ganked.  One fond memory was the trickery that got me.

My friend and I were walking down the road.  Low and behold, there was a pile of gold laying in the road with armor scattered around.  Being a newbie, I thought to my self " I found a gold mine!"  Hiding in the forest were PKer's.  Boom...we were both dead and got looted.  We fell for it.  Afterwards we laughed our asses off for being so gullible.

I miss the lockpicking to get into houses and loot them.  Steal keys in their pouch at the bank , find their house and wow.....fun!

Oh....and the trapped chair thing.  you old vets know what I mean.   LOL

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Originally posted by outfctrl

Back then you could all stand around outside of town and not have everyone mindlessly ganking everyone, even though it was allowed. And when people would get into a fight, people would watch instead of ganging up 10 on 1 for griefing. The open world PvP worked because of the players, not the rule set.

Now a days it would just be step out of town and ganked, constantly. A group of gamers that is all about ganking and griefing have taken over the open world pvp genre, there's no going back now.

I played right after launch in 1997 when there was no Trammel.  I loved the fear of getting ganked.  One fond memory was the trickery that got me.

My friend and I were walking down the road.  Low and behold, there was a pile of gold laying in the road with armor scattered around.  Being a newbie, I thought to my self " I found a gold mine!"  Hiding in the forest were PKer's.  Boom...we were both dead and got looted.  We fell for it.  Afterwards we laughed our asses off for being so gullible.

I miss the lockpicking to get into houses and loot them.  Steal keys in their pouch at the bank , find their house and wow.....fun!

Oh....and the trapped chair thing.  you old vets know what I mean.   LOL

I got hit by the crafted trapped chest once in my early days. Wandering through the woods and there was this chest half sticking out from under a bush. Naturally my curiosity was peaked and I walked over to it and opened it up and boom I died and a guy wandered over and looted me.

Lockpicking houses was fun, you needed max lockpick skill and you still had chances to fail. But they stopped that after either month one or two because so many people cried about having their house robbed. After that is was definetely steal the key out of their pack, which was amusing because the easiest things to steal were the litest and the key was about as litest thing around so it was 100% success rate on something so important. Usually I'd steal the key and then sell it back to the person, good way to make cash. Stealing people's recall runes was fun too.

• WeaponXWeaponX Member Posts: 241

UO was such a blast, I remember my 1st night playing

Some friends took me to Shame and we killed for 3 hours, they let me loot everything

when we got to the bank in Vesper which was packed and I ask in ICQ what the purple

potion was for, double clicked it and it started a count down I was like hmmmm

then BOOOM then all these boxes that were around the bank started blowing up to hehehe

next thing I know I am DreadLord all my friends said delete and recreate your char LOL

Assassin's like to do it in the dark and from behind.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

So a shard without people to gank unwilling.  How will that bring anyone back the hardcore (lol) pvpers?

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

In short..

NO, i don't think so.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I loved the Ultima SP games, and am old enough to have played Ultima since the series started.    I gave up on UO after two days.      Everything was just so cluttered, the graphics actually made the game harder to play, bah.   I was so disappointed in that game.

• ShadenShaden Member Posts: 12

There are already well managed free classic UO shards. http://www.uosecondage.com/

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Classic UO with Kingdom Reborn graphics would get a box sale from me.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Originally posted by SwampRob

I loved the Ultima SP games, and am old enough to have played Ultima since the series started.    I gave up on UO after two days.      Everything was just so cluttered, the graphics actually made the game harder to play, bah.   I was so disappointed in that game.

Your impatience caused you to miss out on the greatest game of all time.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

i think all of you guys saying that pre trammal was amazing needs to go play on a private server. I fired one up just for the hell of it, and my rose colored glasses came off, it wasn't what i remember, and i think you are all kidding yourselves if you think pre-trammal would be a huge success (for the few of you who are claiming this). There might have been a more "mature community", but it still had many many flaws. UO is simply the most hardcore game ever created, and now i see why just exactly mmos never copied it like how they copy WoW. The game feels like more of a second job then EVE does, atleast to me, which is a bit scary.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• mercilusmercilus Member CommonPosts: 11

Originally posted by tvalentine

i think all of you guys saying that pre trammal was amazing needs to go play on a private server. I fired one up just for the hell of it, and my rose colored glasses came off, it wasn't what i remember, and i think you are all kidding yourselves if you think pre-trammal would be a huge success (for the few of you who are claiming this). There might have been a more "mature community", but it still had many many flaws. UO is simply the most hardcore game ever created, and now i see why just exactly mmos never copied it like how they copy WoW. The game feels like more of a second job then EVE does, atleast to me, which is a bit scary.

For the record, saying games copy WoW pisses me off.   WoW copied Everquest if you want to be techinical. WoW is nothing new and amazing... at all.  It just caught the biggest playerbase and somehow skyrocketed to king of crapdom.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Originally posted by mercilus

For the record, saying games copy WoW pisses me off.   WoW copied Everquest if you want to be techinical. WoW is nothing new and amazing... at all.  It just caught the biggest playerbase and somehow skyrocketed to king of crapdom.

sure if you want to be technical say most modern games are more similar to EQ than UO.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

I believe that if they created a shard with the newer graphics engine mixed with the mechanics of old school UO, I would return. I am sure I am not the only one either. A classic shard is something they should have done years ago though. The community isn't as robust as it once was unfortunately. A big comeback? Maybe not, but a modest one is entirely possible.

• vaultbrainvaultbrain Member Posts: 122

Well, theres your problem right there, you played on a private server. Private servers are run by independent players who have customized the server to their particular tastes and therefore do not accurately reflect the way UO was played in the old days. Of course it wasnt what you remembered, because it wasnt set up the way you remember it. Obviously.